Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2015, 15:48   #1471
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

A very well-designed RE showroom (along with service centre) has opened up in Sector 63 of Noida. Visited it today. Well-stocked and eye candy.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Queries-img_20150206_131524.jpg  

Royal Enfield Queries-img_20150206_131534.jpg  

Royal Enfield Queries-img_20150206_130035.jpg  

Royal Enfield Queries-img_20150206_130622.jpg  

Old 6th February 2015, 16:17   #1472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
I had changed the spark plugs in 2012 and the carb was also cleaned then. I don't think the carb has been cleaned this time around. Will get it done tomorrow. Would also get the carb cleaned, if not done in service. Also, would be going for a new battery.

And then plan to go for a short ride (100kms+) Sunday morning to check the overall performance of the bike.
Do carry with you a clutch cable, an accelerator cable and few fuses.

Wish you a happy and safe ride....

Last edited by rki2007 : 6th February 2015 at 16:18.
Old 10th February 2015, 12:37   #1473
Distinguished - BHPian

Although not a bike enthusiast, here's what landed couple of weeks back - 1970 model Enfield. A lot of work to be done especially the rust.

Royal Enfield Queries-img_20150203_071318.jpg
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 13:33   #1474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Although not a bike enthusiast, here's what landed couple of weeks back
Whoa nice find, is it yours? Could you post a few pics of the rear? Looks in okish nick for a 45 year old motorcycle

Are you planning to do the work in Cochin?

Regards

BOV
Old 10th February 2015, 14:44   #1475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Whoa nice find, is it yours? Could you post a few pics of the rear? Looks in okish nick for a 45 year old motorcycle

Are you planning to do the work in Cochin?

Regards

BOV
Father in law's bike now used by my brother in law in Mumbai. Sent it here since he was not using it and moreover have some paper renewals to be done. It should be here from now on. I am actually planning to get the work done and might use it but have plans on bringing down a RX135 from Bangalore later this month. I have heard about a shop in Kacheripady who seems to be an expert in Enfield. Any pointers would be helpful.

Shall take some pictures tonight.
Old 10th February 2015, 19:05   #1476
BHPian

Quote:
I have heard about a shop in Kacheripady who seems to be an expert in Enfield
Thing is that you'll need someone who will know the mech quite well. Else theres a tendency for them to slack or in the worst case scenario, cheat you.

All of my motorcycles work is done by Kunjumon, near the Cochin shipyard. Very straightforward guy. Only issue is that he takes a lotta time if you aren't on his case all the time . But yeah he does a stellar job.

Is it in running condition?

Regards

BOV
Old 10th February 2015, 19:32   #1477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thing is that you'll need someone who will know the mech quite well. Else theres a tendency for them to slack or in the worst case scenario, cheat you.

All of my motorcycles work is done by Kunjumon, near the Cochin shipyard. Very straightforward guy. Only issue is that he takes a lotta time if you aren't on his case all the time . But yeah he does a stellar job.

Is it in running condition?

Regards

BOV
Very true. Need a good and known person for that job. Yes, it's in running condition. It was seldom used in Mumbai. I havent fully removed the covers. Just opened up a bit and show the rust. Have to open it up full tomorrow. Will share the pictures.
Old 11th February 2015, 07:35   #1478
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could you post a few pics of the rear?
Here are some pictures.

Royal Enfield Queries-dsc_0001.jpg

Royal Enfield Queries-dsc_0002.jpg

Royal Enfield Queries-dsc_0003.jpg

Royal Enfield Queries-dsc_0004.jpg

Royal Enfield Queries-dsc_0005.jpg
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 13:28   #1479
BHPian

Quote:
Here are some pictures
It looks pretty okish, hows it to ride? Pm me if you need any help. I'd be more than happy to help out.

In my opinion, first order of business should be to get it in perfect running order, then take care of the cosmetics. Good to see that the original front mudguard is retained, Not too sure about the rear though.

Regards

BOV

Last edited by B O V : 11th February 2015 at 13:30. Reason: To edit
Old 11th February 2015, 13:31   #1480
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It looks pretty okish, hows it to ride? Pm me if you need any help. I'd be more than happy to help out.

In my opinion, first order of business should be to get it in perfect running order, then take care of the cosmetics.

Regards

BOV
I havent take it out for a spin. The clutch lever is broken . I will definitely need your help. Will get in touch with you once I find time to work on it.
Old 11th February 2015, 13:47   #1481
BHPian

Can anyone shed light on crank weights of the UCE standard/500 and others?
I know that the standard and 500 uses the same crank, which is heavier than the others.
Also any idea about the pricing of 500 crank, brand new from RE?
Old 12th February 2015, 17:07   #1482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Most likely the steering cone set might have gone loose. Tighten it and check if the pulsating feeling is still there.
Just collected the bike. The SA told me that the cone set was indeed loose and it was tightened. The problem has decreased considerably, but i still feel it exists to a minor extent. Didn't complain immediately since his first reaction would be denial. Will ride a bit more and then probably go back. What would be the next thing to be checked?

Regarding wheel alignment, is it done in most Tyre Service shops, asking cause i have never seen a motorcycle being aligned whenever i'm at the Tyre Service places.
Old 12th February 2015, 17:45   #1483
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post

Just collected the bike. The SA told me that the cone set was indeed loose and it was tightened. The problem has decreased considerably, but i still feel it exists to a minor extent. Didn't complain immediately since his first reaction would be denial. Will ride a bit more and then probably go back. What would be the next thing to be checked?

Regarding wheel alignment, is it done in most Tyre Service shops, asking cause i have never seen a motorcycle being aligned whenever i'm at the Tyre Service places.
Do ride and see if the feeling stop persists. If yes then complain again.

Regarding alignment, never seen any two wheeler being done. Mostly they'll balance the wheels.
Old 12th February 2015, 23:01   #1484
BHPian

I have a few queries for my 2006 Bullet 350 std CI.

1) Is it possible to attach a tachometer? I've heard the bike must run with a CDI for the tachometer to work properly. Is it true?

2) The exhaust I had when I bought the bike was a fully muffled long bottle exhaust. Few months back I changed it to a short bottle free flow exhaust. With the new exhaust (and without any exhaust, just the bend pipe) when I accelerate and shut the throttle it produces a "kichi kichi kichi" sound. How can I get rid of this sound and what causes it?

3) Does removing its pulse valve increases its performance? Does blocking the pulse valve do anything bad (or good)
Old 13th February 2015, 00:38   #1485
Distinguished - BHPian

Mr.O:
Most of the tachometers made today are made to be used with multi-cylinder engines. Installing one of these on a single cylinder engine like the Royal Enfield results in incorrect readings on the meter.

The popping or backfiring sound you hear is due to the free flowing silencer you installed.
Because the pressure in the exhaust is reduced, the fuel/air mixture produced by the carburetor is too lean (too much air for the amount of fuel being atomized).

With time, this lean mixture can cause engine overheating and damage the exhaust valve and piston.

The solution is to have the fuel metering jets in the carburetor changed to larger sizes or replace the free flow silencer with the more restrictive original.

There is little to be gained in the way of performance by removing the pulse valve but many do it believing it will increase the engines horsepower.
Removing the valve will slightly reduce the backfiring you are hearing from the exhaust but it is not a good replacement for having the carburetor re-jetted as I mentioned above.
Removing the pulse system will increase the amount of air pollution the motorcycle creates. If this is an issue with you, you may not wish to do it.

Most Viewed