Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2015, 15:09   #1456
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Has anyone replaced their pilot lamps with white LEDs? If so is there any specific bulb specification?
Old 5th February 2015, 15:16   #1457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Has anyone replaced their pilot lamps with white LEDs? If so is there any specific bulb specification?
Please refer to Majumdarda's thread on his B500 "Amun Ra". As far as I know you can buy them from any motorcycle spare part shop.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 16:19   #1458
BHPian

Quote:

here you go ... 12V and a wattage significantly lower than the original fitting, other than that there really is no fixed specification. it all up to the creativity of the assembler. most have multiple SMD LEDs (6, 12, 14, 27 etc)

SMD manufacturer is more important. e.g. Cree, Vishay, Philips, Kingbright and a host of Taiwanese, Chines & Korean makes!
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Queries-ledsforre.png  

outofthebox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 17:29   #1459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
On my TB500, i have noticed that the braking on the front disc brake is not even. Don't know how to describe it, when the brake is applied there seems to be a cyclical increase and decrease in braking efficiency. Is it because of some dust and debri or could it be something major.
Hi,

Was this issue resolved?
Old 5th February 2015, 17:42   #1460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
here you go ... 12V and a wattage significantly lower than the original fitting, other than that there really is no fixed specification. it all up to the creativity of the assembler. most have multiple SMD LEDs (6, 12, 14, 27 etc)

SMD manufacturer is more important. e.g. Cree, Vishay, Philips, Kingbright and a host of Taiwanese, Chines & Korean makes!
Ok, this helps a lot. Thanks a lot for sharing. I tried to just search BA9S leds on amazon, and found the prices in the range of like 700-800+. Are these so costly?
Old 5th February 2015, 18:09   #1461
BHPian

Quote:
I tried to just search BA9S leds on amazon, and found the prices in the range of like 700-800+. Are these so costly?
Now this is where it gets tricky. The market is flooded with ultra cheap Chinese fakes in the absence of any established brands. Installing such lights is barely legal in most countries.

On one of my recent recce trips to Karol Bagh market I saw some selling as cheap as Rs. 80/pair.

Rs. 700 to 800 for each sounds expensive but is not unusual - some are sold as 'luxury LED' upgrades on eBay with ridiculous price tags. It might be a USA branded one rather than from a no name Chinese source. Check with the seller about the origin and warranty.

Decent quality ones should be within Rs 150 to 600 each. (i.e. approx. US$ 2 to 10 each). I ordered mine from Aliexpress but it's a jungle out there - very difficult to spot the real ones from cheap imitations. I ended up with some lemons too in the process.
outofthebox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 19:00   #1462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Was this issue resolved?
Been travelling and haven't got it done yet.
Will be giving the bike on monday or tuesday. Will surely update after its done.

Thanks and Regards
Old 5th February 2015, 23:17   #1463
BHPian

Everything seems to be great with my TBTS 350 which is 1 year old with 4300 kms on the odo except the ride quality. Every pothole on the road causes discomfort on a higher scale. I make sure that the air pressure is maintained as per RE's recommendation always. But still no improvements seen. Looks like the suspension setup itself is made like this.

I know that the riding position of TBTS is better and comfortable when compared to classic but the classic has a set of springs below the seat which may be good in terms of ride quality which is my plain assumption.

Can classic owners and TBTS owners throw some light on this by comparing both the motorcyles. Will it really make sense to get a classic by selling TBTS taking the riding comfort (not the riding position) as the one and only consideration.

Royally confused. Please help!!

Last edited by rki2007 : 5th February 2015 at 23:19.
Old 6th February 2015, 10:58   #1464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Everything seems to be great with my TBTS 350 which is 1 year old with 4300 kms on the odo except the ride quality. Every pothole on the road causes discomfort on a higher scale. I make sure that the air pressure is maintained as per RE's recommendation always. But still no improvements seen. Looks like the suspension setup itself is made like this.

Royally confused. Please help!!
Hi rki2007 I own a Tbird 500 and have found the ride quality a tad bit stiffer than my older AVL Tbird 350 (2004 model). Infact the AVL Tbird that I own just glides over rough patches and gives a magic carpet like ride, although it sports original factory fitted oil filled rear shock absorbers. The reason for this might be that RE wanted to improve the handling of the new Tbird which is built on a modified new chassis and a shorter wheelbase. While doing this the ride quality has suffered. The front suspension is quite good infact better than the older offset one but the rear gas filled suspension is stiff, however I am on the healthier side and don't find the ride very stiff and with a pillion the stiffness becomes less. But that's not the point here, I have actually heard people complaining about the spring seat on RE Classic motorcycles. Have you tried changing the setting of your rear suspension? if not, then just try it and see if you find it comfortable.

Believe me bro RE Thunderbird is the most comfortable bike from RE stable for cruising while munching hundreds of kms in a day. I have three Standard CI's and two thunderbirds and this comes from my experience from riding them. If you are looking at pure ride comfort then I believe you must also check the RE Electra, it has the best and proven seat set up from yesteryears RE motorcycles. If you are planning to switch from Thunderbird then the Electra is the one that you should be considering. Having said that you must ride Classic and Electra and feel which suits you better.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 11:59   #1465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Have you tried changing the setting of your rear suspension? if not, then just try it and see if you find it comfortable.

Having said that you must ride Classic and Electra and feel which suits you better.

Thanks dude for your valuable suggestions.I will surely ride the classic as well as Electra soon and will take a call.

Between I am very interested to understand about changing the setting of the rear suspension of TBTS. How can I get it done. Will the Service centre guys do that.

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th February 2015, 12:24   #1466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks dude for your valuable suggestions.I will surely ride the classic as well as Electra soon and will take a call.

Between I am very interested to understand about changing the setting of the rear suspension of TBTS. How can I get it done. Will the Service centre guys do that.

Thanks in advance.
Our new age Tbird's comes with twin gas charged shock absorbers with 5-step adjustable preload function. Wherein the user has the option to adjust the rear shockups as per requirement. You can either get it adjusted from the RE Service Centre or your local friendly neighbourhood mechanic.

To help you I am quoting from one of the existing posts by ArizonJim where he states, "The ride may be softened by adjusting the rear shock absorber/springs. This is done by rotating the collar at the bottom of each unit to a position that allows the spring to be at its greatest length.

There is a special tool for doing this and your local mechanic should have one. If he does, it will only take a few seconds to adjust each one.

Of course, this assumes the units have not already been adjusted to their lowest setting. To determine the current setting, look at the lower area of one of the shock absorbers on the rear of the motorcycle. You should notice a stepped collar which is engaging a fixed lug on the side of the shock absorber. If there is a step below the current setting it can be adjusted. If the lug is already at the lowest step, that's as soft as it can be."

P.S. Jim Bro I hope you don't mind me pasting your post here. Cheers.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 12:47   #1467
BHPian

Quote:
I know that the riding position of TBTS is better and comfortable when compared to classic but the classic has a set of springs below the seat which may be good in terms of ride quality which is my plain assumption.
I don't think the sprung classic single seat is comfortable, atleast from my experience I've found that the standard seat is way more comfortable for me.But I'm on the fitter side so its something I can live with.

On the classic seat I've felt like the undulations on the road are directly transferred to the spine.Most of the times while going over potholes, I raise my bum ever so slightly off of the seat

I remember reading somewhere that the sprung seat was included on the classic line to give it that retro look, since sprung seats were originally provided on hardtails.

Like how Navin said,do a back to back test ride on the classic and other models.

Regards

BOV
Old 6th February 2015, 13:58   #1468
BHPian

I own a TBTS 350cc 2009 make. I switched to a short-bottle silencer in mid-2010 at approx 25k kms. It was all going fine until 2012, after which I have not been riding it much.

I started to use it as my daily commute almost a month back and after due servicing. However, what i notice is a drop in overall performance of the motorcycle. At times the engine has switched off at a signal, even while i have been pulling up the acclearator to keep the engine revving. And it would only start after quite a good no. of kicks.

I'm anyways going for a battery change this weekend, which my mechanic suggested to do at the earliest.

What would be other reasons for such a performance of my motorcycle? What are the chances of possible improvement, if i return to the stock silencer (which I had to let go when i moved from Gurgaon to Bangalore). And is it possible to source the older stock silencer.
Old 6th February 2015, 15:40   #1469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
I started to use it as my daily commute almost a month back and after due servicing. However, what i notice is a drop in overall performance of the motorcycle. At times the engine has switched off at a signal, even while i have been pulling up the acclearator to keep the engine revving. And it would only start after quite a good no. of kicks.
You dont have to switch to the original silencer for this. Get the carb tuned properly. Or else, I think it is a good time to get the carb cleaned and checked thoroughly. Do check the spark plugs too if they haven't done that during the service.

Quote:
Personal opinion: Don't go for the Classic's seat. Although it may seem comfortable in the beginning. That secondary springs under the seats will cause more harm to your back than good (on the long run).

And it doesn't make sense for selling the TB and going for the Classic! But having said that, there is one inherent problem to the new TBs which I cannot comprehend at all. The foot pegs are kicked further forward than the other models. Due to this, you will be unable to stand on the pegs while you encounter rough roads and will make you sit through the whole torture the roads has to offer like a duck! and all the shocks are going directly up your spine due to that upright sitting posture. But hey, its only me, most of the others find this position comfortable enough.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 6th February 2015 at 15:52.
man_of_steel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 15:47   #1470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
You dont have to switch to the original silencer for this. Get the carb tuned properly. Or else, I think it is a good time to get the carb cleaned and checked thoroughly. Do check the spark plugs too if they haven't done that during the service.
I had changed the spark plugs in 2012 and the carb was also cleaned then. I don't think the carb has been cleaned this time around. Will get it done tomorrow. Would also get the carb cleaned, if not done in service. Also, would be going for a new battery.

And then plan to go for a short ride (100kms+) Sunday morning to check the overall performance of the bike.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks