Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2015, 08:47   #1441
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Good day all. The other day I was informed by one of my rider buddies that Bullet 500 does not have a Oil Pump, as its a carburetor engine. Furthermore, if the battery is removed, then also one can start the machine, the hard way. I am a bit skeptical on this. Though I understand that B500 is a carb engine, but the presence of so many fuses ( and god only knows for any sensors), is it a fact or fiction, that a B500 can start without the battery, like the good old days?
Please advise.
Old 29th January 2015, 10:13   #1442
Senior - BHPian

Majumdarda,

1. Untrue. The UCE engine has a gear type oil pump, the most powerful ever on a Royal Enfield. Pumping capacity is about 9 liters per minute at full throttle. Your buddy might have meant fuel pump.

2. Untrue. Battery removed will disable the transistor coil. From the Electra 5S CI onwards, all Royal Enfields moved to transistor coil ignition. On older bullets with cdi ignition, push starts without battery is possible, not on the new UCEs. So keep an eye on the ammeter.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 16:56   #1443
BHPian

Hi friends I prefer to get a good set of rear view mirrors for my TBTS 350. The OEM plastic holder mirrors are useless and vibrates like hell when the bike is at 80kmph.I have two options:

1. Get the classic chrome mirrors from RE itself.
2. Get the Bajaj Avenger mirrors.

Which one do you people suggest? Or is there any other option?

Last edited by rki2007 : 30th January 2015 at 17:02.
Old 30th January 2015, 17:21   #1444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I have two options:

1. Get the classic chrome mirrors from RE itself.
2. Get the Bajaj Avenger mirrors.
Hi I ride a Thunderbird UCE 500 and the mirror does vibrate but is still manageable compared to my other RE motorcyles. Saying that I have fitted Bajaj Avenger mirrors on my Standard Bullet CI 350 (1996 model) about five years back and they too vibrate anything above 60 KMPH but is still manageable, but anything above 80 KMPH the mirrors become blurred. Same is the case with my AVL Tbird 350 whose mirrors vibrate at anything over 80 KMPH. I will suggest either stick to the OEM mirror on your Tbird UCE 350 or get a donor classic chrome mirror from any of your friends and test it before buying. Big Single Cylinder engines by their nature are vibey especially the RE Pushrod type.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2015, 07:29   #1445
BHPian

For Mirrors, I liked the Suzuki Access Chrome mirrors. Very chunky & rounded so suits the overall design of RE.
Old 31st January 2015, 22:34   #1446
BHPian

Hello everyone, I booked a Thunderbird 500 Flicker today from Platiinum Auto, Fatima Nagar, Pune. The dealer has told me that there was a recently cancelled booking for the same, and that he might be able to give me that bike within 15 days. It hasn't arrived yet at their warehouse (acc to salesperson), so I haven't been able to see it. I'm taking everything with a pinch of salt currently because I don't want to take any chances.

My query is, should I take this particular bike, or wait for a newer delivery from the next lot? What checks can I employ to verify if this bike is really a new and cancelled order (as the dealer says) and devoid of any major defect? Also, any favourable (or otherwise) reviews for this dealership?
Old 31st January 2015, 23:12   #1447
BHPian

Hey Harshal, TB 500 is expensive so its quite possible that someone cannot arrange the funds. You can check the bike in outdoors daylight specially the fuel tank for touch up. See if the chassis is a 2015 make . Do the PDI as per checklist available on other thread on TeamBHP. If everything feels & looks OK, then go ahead. Too much thinking will make your buying experience unpleasant.
shaikhmimran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2015, 01:09   #1448
Distinguished - BHPian

Harshal:

I think the only way to verify it is a canceled order for a new motorcycle is to take the word of the dealer.
Even if it is not a canceled order and it is there as a result of the dealer ordering it (for whatever reason) I don't see how this would make a difference as long as it is what you would want to buy at a price you would want to pay.

You should know that it is not unusual for the Royal Enfield factory to test ride the motorcycle just after it has come off of the production line so some distance may show up on the odometer.

If the distance shown is greater than 30 km, be very suspicious.
Old 2nd February 2015, 09:28   #1449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Good day all. The other day I was informed by one of my rider buddies that Bullet 500 does not have a Oil Pump, as its a carburetor engine. Furthermore, if the battery is removed, then also one can start the machine, the hard way. I am a bit skeptical on this. Though I understand that B500 is a carb engine, but the presence of so many fuses ( and god only knows for any sensors), is it a fact or fiction, that a B500 can start without the battery, like the good old days?
Please advise.
From what I could infer what your friend is trying to say is the B500 doesn't have a Fuel Pump because , simple it's carbed.Oil pump and fuel pump are two separate parts.
To the best of my knowledge if your battery goes Kaput the bike is stranded for good.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 2nd February 2015 at 09:30.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 09:34   #1450
Senior - BHPian

Friends, I have this horrible issue on my TB500, that is rust. The bike is kept in a covered stilt parking, and is washed everyday, with a moist cloth and then dry cloth, yet most of the chrome parts, the bike frame and the silencer has got decent traces of rust. I am appalled at such poor quality by Royal Enfield, or is it that I have got an unfortunate lemon in this case? Is there any protection against rust? I can afford to get the bike repainted and the chrome bits re chromed, but I am not sure if this problem will resurface in a jiffy. Your advice please.....
Old 2nd February 2015, 10:25   #1451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Friends, I have this horrible issue on my TB500, that is rust. The bike is kept in a covered stilt parking, and is washed everyday, with a moist cloth and then dry cloth, yet most of the chrome parts, the bike frame and the silencer has got decent traces of rust. I am appalled at such poor quality by Royal Enfield, or is it that I have got an unfortunate lemon in this case? Is there any protection against rust? I can afford to get the bike repainted and the chrome bits re chromed, but I am not sure if this problem will resurface in a jiffy. Your advice please.....
It will be sad to call a TB500 a lemon, just because of some rust . How is the mechanicals ? I would say the rust issue may be enhanced, due to the vicinity to sea and the water being used .I do agree that paint quality is not a USP for bullet bikes. Would suggest you to repaint and re chrome and let us see the results.I am also wondering, is it required to wash and clean a bike everyday ? Washing once in a week would be more than enough as per my experience. Other days you can just dust and clean, as it is kept covered .

commonman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 10:31   #1452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
It will be sad to call a TB500 a lemon, just because of some rust . How is the mechanicals ? I would say the rust issue may be enhanced, due to the vicinity to sea and the water being used .I do agree that paint quality is not a USP for bullet bikes. Would suggest you to repaint and re chrome and let us see the results.I am also wondering, is it required to wash and clean a bike everyday ? Washing once in a week would be more than enough as per my experience. Other days you can just dust and clean, as it is kept covered .

Thanks!! The mechanicals are fine. No issues so far, touch wood!! However I am really disappointed by the rusting, I used to own the first gen Pulsar 180, owned it for over 3 monsoons and it was parked in heavy rains in the open, even when i sold it, there was no rusting anywhere.
I agree, I am taking a chance and getting the bike repainted and chromed, let us see, may be with a better quality of chrome and paint this issue may get sorted!!
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 10:41   #1453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Hi apachelongbow,
As Commonman said, wash the motorcycle once in a week thoroughly with shampoo and luke warm water and apply a good wax polish on the paint and chrome, once the machine is dry. This will reduce the build up of rust.
regards adrian
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 19:58   #1454
BHPian

Re: Modifications - Royal Enfield Thunderbird

The RE service advisor is recommending 15W50 oil grade with a frequency of every 6k kms. Is this fine? However he did not mention any period like 3/6 months within which the oil change must be done.

Can someone throw light on this.
Old 4th February 2015, 10:55   #1455
BHPian

Re: Modifications - Royal Enfield Thunderbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
The RE service advisor is recommending 15W50 oil grade with a frequency of every 6k kms. Is this fine? However he did not mention any period like 3/6 months within which the oil change must be done.

Can someone throw light on this.
Hi rki2007, I use Motul 3000 4T Plus 15W50 AP SL Grade JASO MA2 (MA2 is an up gradation of the MA which is used for motorcycles with wet cluth) on my Standard 350 UCE Bullet and change the engine oil at 4000 kms on the odometer. The company recommended engine oil replacement period is 6000 Kms.
Recently I had visited the RE ASS for cam gear lash adjustment. While being there, I had spoken to a service adviser from Royal Enfield who said that the RE ASS has currently moved on to LIQUID GUN and the oil replacement period of the new Bullets is 4000 kms. He advised me for a change to LIQUID GUN , but I said that I am just fine with the MOTUL. Just don't know what they poured in to top up the engine oil after taking of the RHS cover.
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 4th February 2015 at 10:57. Reason: typo
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks