Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2014, 14:00   #1366
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnaps View Post
Not sure if a spoked wheel has a higher risk of tire burst than am alloy wheel. As a matter of fact I personally have not heard of such an occurrence with stock fittings.
The tyre burst that mentioned is with respect to the tubed v/s tubeless tyre and is not a question of alloy v/s spoke. The tubed one has higher chance of blowing off at high speeds where as the tubeless gradually loses air pressure giving enough time to react and reach a puncture shop.

@himanshugoswami, I myself had Parado Blade alloys on my ex TBTS which was used to run the Pirelli MT60 tubeless rubber. I personally have had very good experience with the alloys and I used to ride it on all sort of terrains pretty rashly. I abused it thoroughly for around 30k Kms before I sold my bike (It is still running fine BTW). 18" PSDs are a good choice for the rear. But I have never seen and heard of 'PSD 90/90 R19'.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 16th December 2014 at 14:02.
man_of_steel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 14:29   #1367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Prasanna, the sole reason i want to change to alloys and tubeless is safety. The last thing i want is a tyre burst when im doing 100 KPH on a highway. RE are really taking their audience for granted by not providing alloys and tubeless on a 2 lakh bike when a 50000 rupees splendor has them!
I have not come across an incident of tire bursts on a RE.
A properly inflated tire with decent tread on it should be quite ok.

However I have never cruised at 100 kmph for extended amounts of time. Mine is an old AVL Thunderbird and it tops off at something like 105 or so.
Old 16th December 2014, 15:24   #1368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnaps View Post
Not sure if a spoked wheel has a higher risk of tire burst than am alloy wheel. As a matter of fact I personally have not heard of such an occurrence with stock fittings.

IMHO it is better to stick to OEM equipment than unknown Alloy manufactures. It is very difficult to visually verify if an alloy wheel has any microscopic defects. A defective alloy wheel has a far higher chance of disintegrating without warning as compared to a spoked wheel.

It is possible to limp back home with a bent rim and broken spokes whereas a cracked alloy will leave one stranded.

A reliable and certified alloy wheel off course can swing the decision if any such product was available.
the tyre burst risk is not with spoked wheel, but with tube type tyres. For tubeless, alloys are a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I have not come across an incident of tire bursts on a RE.
A properly inflated tire with decent tread on it should be quite ok.

However I have never cruised at 100 kmph for extended amounts of time. Mine is an old AVL Thunderbird and it tops off at something like 105 or so.
Imran im referring to a scenario where one has a puncture. In a tube tyre, there will be an instant deflation which can be fatal at high speeds. In a tubeless, you can continue to ride for miles with the nail stuck in the tyre till you reach a point where you can get it repaired.

Last edited by bblost : 16th December 2014 at 15:27. Reason: back to back.
Old 18th December 2014, 14:14   #1369
BHPian

I have had a puncture of the front tubed tyre while at a speed of around 50Kmph. Had lost control of the bike since it veered to the right despite my attempts to get it back on track. Luckily there was not much oncoming traffic. Getting a similar puncture is a nightmare i keep having.
Old 18th December 2014, 21:19   #1370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
I have had a puncture of the front tubed tyre while at a speed of around 50Kmph. Had lost control of the bike since it veered to the right despite my attempts to get it back on track. Luckily there was not much oncoming traffic. Getting a similar puncture is a nightmare i keep having.
You should seriously consider getting slime or tubeless tyres
Old 19th December 2014, 01:14   #1371
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Thunderbirds should have come with alloys and tubeless tyres by default. While ABS is a bit complex to add alloys with tubeless tyres are easy to add.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 07:16   #1372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Thunderbirds should have come with alloys and tubeless tyres by default. While ABS is a bit complex to add alloys with tubeless tyres are easy to add.
Maybe RE doesn't want to detract from the classic spoke wheels of the bullet.
Old 19th December 2014, 09:26   #1373
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Maybe RE doesn't want to detract from the classic spoke wheels of the bullet.
Yep but it is just a mindset. The Harley Sportster range including Superlows and irons come in alloys by default as does the fat bob while the street bob has spoked wheels which have been severely criticized in India. None of them look any less classic due to the wheels.

Also the Thunderbird had adopted the modern headlamp. The alloys too just need to be designed and coloured right to retain a classic look.
Old 19th December 2014, 10:17   #1374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Yep but it is just a mindset.
All your points are valid, I agree and it is only a matter of time before RE changes ( Hopefully).
But all said and done, isn't the mindset that helps Bullets sell ?

Last edited by batterylow : 19th December 2014 at 10:18. Reason: Grammar
batterylow is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 12:12   #1375
Senior - BHPian

Getting my bird (TB500)on Sunday. Have decided to get the harley style alloys. going to Karol Bagh on saturday to have a dekko and finalise the deal for alloys and tubeless tyres. Planning on Pirelli Sport demons 130/70 R18 for rear. since there are no tubeless available in 19 inches, may keep the front tyre stock and use slime in it.
Old 19th December 2014, 23:01   #1376
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Getting my bird (TB500) on Sunday. Have decided to get the harley style alloys. going to Karol Bagh on saturday to have a dekko and finalise the deal for alloys and tubeless tyres. Planning on Pirelli Sport demons 130/70 R18 for rear. since there are no tubeless available in 19 inches, may keep the front tyre stock and use slime in it.
Congratulations Himanshu on getting the TB 500 fast and that is real fast which wasn't expected actually. Do check the alloys properly and then seal the deal.

Stick to either tubeless for both front and rear or tube type for both front and rear. Please don't do the tube at front and tube-less at the rear trick. I know there are no tubeless ones in 19" but IMO it is not worth going for this bargain.

Why not drive the initial 5000 kms on stock setup post which look at upgrading the tyres etc.

Anurag.
Old 22nd December 2014, 19:45   #1377
BHPian

Can anyone guide me on how to remove the left side twist grip? Unlike the right hand one (accelerator), this one is not linked to the switchgear.
Nor could i find any bolt on the grip to unlock!
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Queries-img2014122100717.jpg  

Old 22nd December 2014, 19:49   #1378
Senior - BHPian

Today I saw a RE in White colour. Could not make it whether it was a Classic 350 or 500. Is this a new paint scheme in RE stable. Bike looked similar to the Triumph Bonneville in appearance. Could someone in this forum confirm if this is the new paint scheme please?
Old 22nd December 2014, 19:57   #1379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Today I saw a RE in White colour. Could not make it whether it was a Classic 350 or 500. Is this a new paint scheme in RE stable. Bike looked similar to the Triumph Bonneville in appearance. Could someone in this forum confirm if this is the new paint scheme please?
I believe you saw the Classic 500, which has a off white paint scheme along with dark brown stripes. RE has changed the paint schemes of both the Classic models and this one of them, I reckon.
Old 22nd December 2014, 21:02   #1380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Can anyone guide me on how to remove the left side twist grip? Unlike the right hand one (accelerator), this one is not linked to the switchgear.
Nor could i find any bolt on the grip to unlock!
Unlike the one with end weights, there is no fastener retaining it in place. Just use sheer force Twist and pull.
regards adrian
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks