Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2014, 20:20   #1336
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Did you have any major accident in which the bike's chassis took quite a blow? If not, I guess you can safely assume that the frame is all right. Its not really easy to bend the frame!
Actually my motorcycle came with a slightly bend handle on the left, a notched steering cone and paint scrubbed of the left side of the mudguard. During PDI, they said that it had happened during transportation and also agreed to rectify the defects during the first service. But the only thing they did was to touch up the paint. I was not allowed to choose among the new motorcycles with the dealer announcing that this machine with this frame and engine number has been allotted to you from the RE factory May be the machine took a fall during the transportation or something like that.
Quote:
Such a variation can be due to variation in manufacturing tolerances too. Also, the Classics (Both 350 and 500) have a natural tendency to dive right when you take the hands off the handlebars (Even if the cam markers are same at both ends of rear axle). I think you just compensated that with the manual alignment check.
If you observe the new bullets, 99% of them has their rear wheel conked off to the left. I believe this is what causes them to dive to the right.
Quote:
Also, do check if the swing arm bushes are fine.
Don't have wobbles with the motorcycle leaned over in sharp curves, but still will check them out.
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 26th November 2014 at 20:21.
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 12:37   #1337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
I was not allowed to choose among the new motorcycles with the dealer announcing that this machine with this frame and engine number has been allotted to you from the RE factory
I wanted to get a confirmation on this. There was a report long ago about this move of directly allotting the bike from factory to prevent misuse by the dealers. Is this the case or do you think the dealer was trying to wash their hands off the matter?

Quote:
If you observe the new bullets, 99% of them has their rear wheel conked off to the left. I believe this is what causes them to dive to the right.
All the body panels too are out of alignment. Front mudguards, rear mudguards, indicators, tail lamps, foot pegs all pointing in the directions it is not supposed to! And the list goes on!

As far as I have observed there is a marginal improvement in the new Thunderbirds and further improvement with the Continental GT.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 27th November 2014 at 12:41.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 18:53   #1338
BHPian

Quote:
I wanted to get a confirmation on this. There was a report long ago about this move of directly allotting the bike from factory to prevent misuse by the dealers. Is this the case or do you think the dealer was trying to wash their hands off the matter?
I got my bullet in 2011 just before the big bang that took RE to its current orbit of success. Then this dealer in Trivandrum, the Marikkar motors delivered the motorcycles remarking of this direct allotment from the company. When I heard about it for the first time, I had confirmed it with a couple of my friends who had taken delivery from them.
Actually the dealer can replace damaged parts caused due to transportation and claim it on transportation losses to the company. In my case they didn't do it and from my side, all I wanted was to lay my hands on my first motorcycle and ride around. Apart from the little bit of paint being scraped off the edge of the mudguard and the slightly bend handle, the machine was perfect in all other means.
The reason why I suspected of a bend frame is that a local Bullet expert from Trivandrum said that he had straightened lots of frames of the new bullets for his customers, which gave me the thought that some how the frame comes pre-bend from the factory

Quote:
All the body panels too are out of alignment. Front mudguards, rear mudguards, indicators, tail lamps, foot pegs all pointing in the directions it is not supposed to! And the list goes on!

As far as I have observed there is a marginal improvement in the new Thunderbirds and further improvement with the Continental GT.
I think with the bullets, we will have to do what we did with our bicycles. After purchase we used to take the bicycle to a local workshop where they would dismantle the whole bicycle, true the wheels, re lubricate everything and reassemble it back. We have a group of guys here at Nemom who works on bullets through generations. In earlier days people buy a new bullet and leave the bullet with them with a specific amount of money. Then these guys dismantle the machine including the engine make adjustments and reassemble them. From hearsay the bullets that they have worked on have no clatter sounds from the engine and are really good from every other aspect be it ride quality or alignment. One of my friends had advised me to take my bullet to them but since there was a change in the type of engine, I refused.
Any way we can hope that the scenario will improve with further generation of RE machines. I really don't want to see a skewed motorcycle with a twin engine looking like a person walking with a lumbago.
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 27th November 2014 at 18:56.
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 17:03   #1339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We have a group of guys here at Nemom who works on bullets through generations. In earlier days people buy a new bullet and leave the bullet with them with a specific amount of money.
True. They are seriously good! I used to give my TBTS to one of those 'mestri' from Nemom. Even though he did not have experience on UCEs I would whole heartedly testify anywhere that the Carb tuning and the service he did for my bike was still unmatched by any other mechanics I have been to in Trivandrum or Bangalore. Till the time I sold it!
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 21:34   #1340
BHPian

Does anyone here have any thoughts on singles with 2 exhaust ports?I've seen a couple of the 70's era motorcycles which had 'em like that.Also a couple of Enfields had it too.I don't think there's any increase in the performance

But it looks damn good.

Does anyone here know of any junkyards(motorcycle)in Kerala,I once heard of some place in Kollam.I need a few parts scrap,hence the query.
Old 28th November 2014, 23:24   #1341
BHPian

I am looking to replace my tbts rear view plastic body mirrors with that of classic mirrors. Enquired with the RE service centre about the cost of mirrors and got to understand that a pair of mirrors cost 860 Rs which I feel is over priced.

Can someone suggest me a good place in Bangalore where I can find classic look mirrors. Also how is the idea of getting Bajaj Avenger mirrors.

Last edited by rki2007 : 28th November 2014 at 23:25.
Old 29th November 2014, 00:47   #1342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Does anyone here have any thoughts on singles with 2 exhaust ports?I've seen a couple of the 70's era motorcycles which had 'em like that.Also a couple of Enfields had it too.I don't think there's any increase in the performance

But it looks damn good.

Does anyone here know of any junkyards(motorcycle)in Kerala,I once heard of some place in Kollam.I need a few parts scrap,hence the query.
While going through modded bullet photos , I came across a few such specimen , many were cosmetic as in one was dummy but some had actually bored in another valve . I asked my mechanic about the same , he said not only is it difficult to perfect but will reduce power and botch the exhaust note . It does look nice though .

ps : While I was purchasing after market custom parts for my bullet , I distinctly recall coming across this twin exhaust engine head(for cast iron ) listed by one of the many Delhi vendors . As such googled and check out the 2nd row middle result -
http://www.royalenfieldzone.com/engine_components.asp

EDIT : check out this video too , shows the head in action -

Last edited by basuroy : 29th November 2014 at 00:51.
Old 29th November 2014, 06:27   #1343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I am looking to replace my tbts rear view plastic body mirrors with that of classic mirrors. Enquired with the RE service centre about the cost of mirrors and got to understand that a pair of mirrors cost 860 Rs which I feel is over priced.

Can someone suggest me a good place in Bangalore where I can find classic look mirrors. Also how is the idea of getting Bajaj Avenger mirrors.
Prem motors in Shivajinagar has chrome mirrors for around 300-400

Last edited by tharian : 29th November 2014 at 06:29.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2014, 07:48   #1344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post

Why don't you try the Pattalam market at Thrissur. I have heard about a junkyard somewhere in Kollam, but the Pattalam market is famous for Vintage automotive parts and the like.

OT - Any ideas on what these guys are finding fault with the Bullets in the following video ?

regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 29th November 2014 at 07:49.
Old 29th November 2014, 10:19   #1345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think it is the right price. Classic's mirror is costly.
Old 29th November 2014, 13:13   #1346
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking to replace my tbts rear view plastic body mirrors with that of classic mirrors
Last I checked here in Kerala it was 560 Rs for the Chrome ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
While going through modded bullet photos , I came across a few such specimen
Thanks for the Vid,I've had seen the same video years ago.My mech was tellin me of how he did the twin port thing for an old Ariel.I thought maybe I could try the same.Depends on whether I can find a spare head,since I don't want to mess about with my current head.

Like you said,aesthetically it looks pretty damn good.But I wonder if theres any advantage of using it on other single cylinder engine designs.Check out Speedy Working Motors,Weird name but nice looking motorcycles.

Quote:
Why don't you try the Pattalam market at Thrissur
Thanks I'll check this place out.I feel like if its famous the parts might be expensive

With regard to that video,To me it sounds like they were testing for that obnoxious BANG that people do on their bullets.I remember during college a few of my Punjabi friends had the same on their Bullets.

What they do is that they twist the throttle entirely and do something which causes the fuel air mixture to detonate in the exhaust pipe(I think this is what happens).I think I heard someone call it a diffuser or something.

Off Topic-I purchased a Tailamp from ebay us,I was wondering if they block stuff like that at the customs here in India

Last edited by B O V : 29th November 2014 at 13:17.
B O V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 11:41   #1347
BHPian

Hi guys, can anyone please post a pic of such metallic mirror on a TB? Thank you in advance.
Old 6th December 2014, 19:16   #1348
Senior - BHPian

Can someone help me on ways to remove carbon stains on the outside of the bendpipe-muffler joint ?

There was a leak due to the numerous muffler swaps and now it is an eyesore.

Does petrol help?
Old 6th December 2014, 20:15   #1349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Can someone help me on ways to remove carbon stains on the outside of the bendpipe-muffler joint ?

There was a leak due to the numerous muffler swaps and now it is an eyesore.

Does petrol help?
This link might be of help.

Chrome Cleaning Technique
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 22:06   #1350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Can someone help me on ways to remove carbon
I've used WD-40 to clear it all right up.Should work well.

Any one knows how to remove oil stains from the bend pipe?

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks