Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2014, 17:52   #1156
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Motul Technosynthese 3100 Gold 20w50

Good oil for the Cast Irons, there is one from Valvoline as well, not sure which one exactly though.
Thanks, What would be the cost of this oil?
Old 31st July 2014, 17:59   #1157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Supposed to be very good, almost like synthetic in price of mineral.

Isue with cast irons though, especially well run ones, is that they are not partial to fancy oils.
I thought this is a semi-synth oil, was I wrong?

Yes, very true. I tried Shell once and felt like the engine was running with water and once ended up with diesel engine oil on a highway trip due to non-availability of the right oil and it felt like I was flying , it was that smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
Thanks, What would be the cost of this oil?
Not more than Rs 400 for a litre.
Old 31st July 2014, 18:04   #1158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I thought this is a semi-synth oil, was I wrong?
Technosynthese is supposed to be superior to vanilla semi-synthetic. Don't know if its true or marketing. But at 350 bucks a liter, its worth a try (hardly 100 bucks more than mineral).

Quote:
Yes, very true. I tried Shell once and felt like the engine was running with water and once ended up with diesel engine oil on a highway trip due to non-availability of the right oil and it felt like I was flying , it was that smooth.
GTX is another overhyped crap oil. You mentioned Valvoline. The one that comes in that ketchup type soft bag with screw cap (dont know/remember the name now) - very good oil.

Actually come to think of it, even the red mineral 20W50 Motul I am using right now (I think its 3100) is pretty neat. Bike is flying.

Last edited by ebonho : 31st July 2014 at 18:09.
Old 1st August 2014, 11:54   #1159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually come to think of it, even the red mineral 20W50 Motul I am using right now (I think its 3100) is pretty neat. Bike is flying.
Correction.

Motul 2000 SAE 20W50 (Multigrade or Multipower - one of the two).
Old 2nd August 2014, 16:00   #1160
Senior - BHPian

Checked ..... Motul 2000 Multipower SAE 20W50.

Royal Enfield Queries-motul2000multipower20w50250x250.jpg
Old 2nd August 2014, 16:07   #1161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Checked ..... Motul 2000 Multipower SAE 20W50.

]
How is this compared to the Motul Gold 3100? Is this mineral oil?
Old 2nd August 2014, 16:22   #1162
Senior - BHPian

I have not yet tried the Gold (keeping it for a pre-big-ride change).

This one (2000) is a mineral oil. I like it. Bike flies.
Old 2nd August 2014, 20:31   #1163
BHPian

@ all Bullet Gurus : Riding a Bullet with a carburetor is like having friendship with a person having multiple personality disorder. One day it runs like butter and another day it is throwing tantrums. As the air fuel mixture does not adapt by itself to altitude/climate changes, the motorcycle does not run fine through out the year and gives you more FE when compared to EFI Bullets.
The higher the altitude /The higher the humidity : The motorcycle runs rich.
Assuming what I said to be true : Suppose I adjusted the idle circuit in summer season (high humidity), how will the air fuel ratio be
a) During a heavy downpour
b) Before and after a downpour
Reason for the query is that my Bullet has good power and runs fine during downpours and seems to be a bit off tune on sunny day evenings.
P.S : I ride a Standard UCE 350 with BS29 carburetor and keep the fuel screw where the engine rpm has reached the summit and further turning does not affect the rpm and yes Trivandrum is at sea level.
regards adrian
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 13:05   #1164
Senior - BHPian

Hello all,

I got a very good news after prolonged searching. A scaled model of Royal Enfield, and which looks like a Royal Enfield too

The link of the page is as follows :-

http://www.ixomodels.com/index.php/car/result

Model Number : SET24BM#06

Image :

Royal Enfield Queries-capture.jpg

Unfortunately the price is not available and neither does it show if the same can be procured in India.

I am sure, many RE enthusiasts would like to have this scaled model. Please do let me know how to proceed, and if possible, does any body have any contacts, with the scaled model dealers, who can order this.

Probably we can order in bulk and then take individual Die Cast models.

I am so excited that I had to share it right now.

Majumdarda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 14:03   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
@ all Bullet Gurus : Riding a Bullet with a carburetor is like having friendship with a person having multiple personality disorder. One day it runs like butter and another day it is throwing tantrums. As the air fuel mixture does not adapt by itself to altitude/climate changes, the motorcycle does not run fine through out the year and gives you more FE when compared to EFI Bullets.
The higher the altitude /The higher the humidity : The motorcycle runs rich.
Assuming what I said to be true : Suppose I adjusted the idle circuit in summer season (high humidity), how will the air fuel ratio be
a) During a heavy downpour
b) Before and after a downpour
Reason for the query is that my Bullet has good power and runs fine during downpours and seems to be a bit off tune on sunny day evenings.
P.S : I ride a Standard UCE 350 with BS29 carburetor and keep the fuel screw where the engine rpm has reached the summit and further turning does not affect the rpm and yes Trivandrum is at sea level.
regards adrian
Hi Adrian, quite agree with the 'mood disorder' that the bike has. I've been using my Electra for my daily office commute for the past 1 month and have noticed that in the mornings the throttle is very crisp and I am able to get the rpms up without much effort on the throttle. The bike rides smooth through the gears and it's very zippy.

Come night and the bike feels like 'struggling to breathe'. I'd have to roll the throttle more to bring up the rpms and shift to next gear. It's like there's considerable loss of power through the gears.

I've thought of posting about this for a while and after seeing your post, I think that's how our carb-spec bulls behave?
SuperSlick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 19:36   #1166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSlick View Post
Hi Adrian, quite agree with the 'mood disorder' that the bike has. I've been using my Electra for my daily office commute for the past 1 month and have noticed that in the mornings the throttle is very crisp and I am able to get the rpms up without much effort on the throttle. The bike rides smooth through the gears and it's very zippy.

Come night and the bike feels like 'struggling to breathe'. I'd have to roll the throttle more to bring up the rpms and shift to next gear. It's like there's considerable loss of power through the gears.

I've thought of posting about this for a while and after seeing your post, I think that's how our carb-spec bulls behave?
It is all about the carb-spec bulls being affected by atmospheric changes. When the atmosphere becomes humid, there is more moisture in air which displaces oxygen molecules resulting in more fuel mixed with less oxygen molecules fed to the engine through the atomized air fuel mixture from the carburetor . The same happens when atmospheric pressure decreases. I always keep a small screw driver with me for minor tweaks of the fuel screw when my motorcycle have extreme mood swings I am also glad that you have carefully noted the way the Bullet behaves with change in climate. Most of the riders I have spoken to about the matter responded as if I am a nut case

So the question to Bullet gurus : As Superslick inquired : "Do we have to live with the multiple personality of a carbed bullet or is there a way out of this "?
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 3rd August 2014 at 19:47.
Old 4th August 2014, 18:18   #1167
BHPian

Quote:
It is all about the carb-spec bulls being affected by atmospheric changes. When the atmosphere becomes humid, there is more moisture in air which displaces oxygen molecules resulting in more fuel mixed with less oxygen molecules fed to the engine through the atomized air fuel mixture from the carburetor . The same happens when atmospheric pressure decreases. I always keep a small screw driver with me for minor tweaks of the fuel screw when my motorcycle have extreme mood swings I am also glad that you have carefully noted the way the Bullet behaves with change in climate. Most of the riders I have spoken to about the matter responded as if I am a nut case
Well Adrian, thanks for the explanation! I have noticed a similar behavior in my Alto as well during certain days/nights. It felt like there's turbo lag although it doesn't have any . Otherwise it is nice and zippy with the throttle inputs.

Since you're in a coastal city too like me, do you notice this change in behavior on a daily basis or only when the climate really changes (summer/winter)? In my case, I find it almost daily as of now. The climate is sunny through the day and we're getting showers in the evening or nights now. The mileage I'm getting right now is around 43-44 Kmpl in city in moderate/heavy traffic conditions. My daily travel is about 28-29 Kms to and fro.

How much mileage does your bull give currently?
Old 4th August 2014, 20:20   #1168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSlick View Post
Well Adrian, thanks for the explanation! I have noticed a similar behavior in my Alto as well during certain days/nights. It felt like there's turbo lag although it doesn't have any . Otherwise it is nice and zippy with the throttle inputs.

Since you're in a coastal city too like me, do you notice this change in behavior on a daily basis or only when the climate really changes (summer/winter)? In my case, I find it almost daily as of now. The climate is sunny through the day and we're getting showers in the evening or nights now. The mileage I'm getting right now is around 43-44 Kmpl in city in moderate/heavy traffic conditions. My daily travel is about 28-29 Kms to and fro.

How much mileage does your bull give currently?
Your Alto shouldn't behave like that since it is an EFI model. The bullet shows minor changes in feel on daily basis if you observe carefully. The way it rides in the early morning is not the way it rides in the evening. Major change comes with change in climate. My bullet gives an FE of 41 Kmpl in city traffic (moderate / heavy) and I have 5 1/2 turns out on my fuel screw.
regards adrian
Old 4th August 2014, 21:22   #1169
BHPian

Quote:
Your Alto shouldn't behave like that since it is an EFI model. The bullet shows minor changes in feel on daily basis if you observe carefully. The way it rides in the early morning is not the way it rides in the evening. Major change comes with change in climate. My bullet gives an FE of 41 Kmpl in city traffic (moderate / heavy) and I have 5 1/2 turns out on my fuel screw.
regards adrian
Yes I agree with you that since alto is mpfi it shouldn't but It does and that's the difference I can identify since i'm the only who drives it. And similarly I can feel the bike's minor changes too as you've mentioned.

Today while returning from work the bike was normal like does in the mornings. The difference in climate I felt was that it was less humid than usual and the air felt dry and warm like it does in the mornings. Let's wait for the gurus to share their views on the solution.

I am also facing an issue with the kicker now. It takes more than 6-7 kicks to get the bike started which wasn't the case earlier. Sometimes I just give up and use the ES. What could be the isseu here?

Last edited by SuperSlick : 4th August 2014 at 21:28. Reason: Typo & missed word
Old 5th August 2014, 22:19   #1170
BHPian

Well continuing from my last post above i've tried to some research myself and think the issue could be with sprag clutch. There is some backlash from the kicker.

Whats the cost of new sprag clutch and how much one can ride without having to replace and manage with ES itself?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks