Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2014, 23:09   #1126
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Please find the lines from RE User manual below:
I have personally claimed warranty for n number if items that had Paint problem or rusting. So they do give warranty, you just have to make some noise.

TB Off-road silencer

There is an TB specific off road silencer from RE. It looks like a short version of the OLD TB's muffler. It's hard to procure from RE as they manufacture it in small quantities.

Royal Enfield Queries-1978814_10153875881070577_1938900607_n.jpg

This pic belongs to a member here at Team-bhp.

Last edited by shan2129 : 10th June 2014 at 23:10.
shan2129 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 10:21   #1127
BHPian

That is a great looking silencer.How does it sound?
Is there any riders from Mysore here?
Old 16th June 2014, 14:02   #1128
BHPian

Are silencers(other than the short bottle)that directly bolt on to the long bend pipes available?I just finished some custom work on my bull,A goldie is the final piece I need to get.
Old 16th June 2014, 15:00   #1129
BHPian

Thanks guys for the inputs.

Turns out it wasn't the rust but battery acid drops which had caused corrosion.

In the last service they must have overfilled the battery above required level and caused this havoc to my paint.
After a little bit of verbal onslaught from my side RE has agreed to get the toolbox repainted on their expense.
As there was no physical damage to the inside/structure of the metal, I did not ask them for a full part replacement and settled with repainting.

So if anyone of you see any spots on the paint of your toolbox, battery acid could be a culprit.
Old 17th June 2014, 12:59   #1130
BHPian

Gentlemen,

I own a July 2013 Thunderbird 350, and have clocked 8800 kms. All the free services for my TB350 are over now. I was planning to get it serviced by a local mechanic now.

Till now the oil was being replaced with Royal Enfield Liquid Gun Engine Oil. I wanna know, which would be the best brand of Engine Oil for UCE Engines ? Like there are many other brands, like Motul, Wruth etc.

1) Are they better than the Liquid Gun oil in terms of performance or any other way ?
2) Will it be better if I shift from Liquid Gun, to some other Engine Oil ?
3) Kindly provide complete info on the best Engine Oil for my TB350.

Regards,
Bhasker Sharma
Old 17th June 2014, 14:30   #1131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhasker View Post
Gentlemen,

I own a July 2013 Thunderbird 350, and have clocked 8800 kms. All the free services for my TB350 are over now. I was planning to get it serviced by a local mechanic now.

Till now the oil was being replaced with Royal Enfield Liquid Gun Engine Oil. I wanna know, which would be the best brand of Engine Oil for UCE Engines ? Like there are many other brands, like Motul, Wruth etc.

1) Are they better than the Liquid Gun oil in terms of performance or any other way ?
2) Will it be better if I shift from Liquid Gun, to some other Engine Oil ?
3) Kindly provide complete info on the best Engine Oil for my TB350.

Regards,
Bhasker Sharma
The rating of the oil is what matters the most. I always used to fill my bike with Motul 3000 - 4t Plus, which has a rating of 15w-50. Also I believe its recommended by enfield too.

There also is a separate thread here regarding engine oils and detailed experiences of users have been mentioned so kindly check that out too sir.

Cheers !
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 10:00   #1132
Senior - BHPian

Posting the query here as I did not get any response earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim
With regards to the ES problem, Ramesh (RE mechanic) had a look and advised to get starter motor replaced while still under warranty. Per Brahma Motors, if the ES works after applying choke, then there is no fault in the ES mechanism, but some adjustments and settings needs to be done (unfortunately they could not figure out what setting even after Third servicing). Per Ramesh, if ES works after choke, it means that fuel is not getting proper air-fuel ratio; But as its working effectively in KS mode, therefore its best to have the starter motor etc replaced within warranty. Further he informs that the price to procure one is approx 8-9K, and RE will promptly change it the moment I am out of the warranty protection.

Now I want some inputs from you guys please. Why will the ES not work without the choke? What can be the possible scenarios? I think getting it replaced under warranty is the safest bet, but would like to have your points as well, to make the claim full proof and a success.

Please advise.
Old 24th June 2014, 10:31   #1133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
ES works after choke
You mean to say the starter motor itself is working only after pulling the choke and the starter motor is not at all responding(cranking) when you press the starter switch with the choke OFF?

Did they try connecting the ES directly to battery and check? Was the motor working fine in that case?

Last edited by man_of_steel : 24th June 2014 at 10:32.
man_of_steel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 11:49   #1134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
You mean to say the starter motor itself is working only after pulling the choke and the starter motor is not at all responding(cranking) when you press the starter switch with the choke OFF?
Before Ramesh adjusted the air fuel mixture, I used to face the problem as below

The starter motor would simply crank but no engine start. After I pull the choke, the motor would crank followed by engine start.

I had the same experience even after riding for more than 60 kms at a stretch.

Latest observation is ES seems to be working effectively but am not too sure. Might be its resolved, might be its not.

How to know if there is no fault with ES motor?
Old 24th June 2014, 12:25   #1135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Before Ramesh adjusted the air fuel mixture, I used to face the problem as below

The starter motor would simply crank but no engine start. After I pull the choke, the motor would crank followed by engine start.

I had the same experience even after riding for more than 60 kms at a stretch.

Latest observation is ES seems to be working effectively but am not too sure. Might be its resolved, might be its not.
The ES seems to be perfectly fine in your case. And the problem (I think) can range from a simple carb tuning issue to may be water in carb or some block in the jets(If you are facing any misfires now). Why dont you ask the guys to make the AFM a bit rich and then check if the problem persists (Do check the plug color). If that does'nt work then ask them to clean the carb.

Quote:
How to know if there is no fault with ES motor?
Simple. Connect the starter directly to battery. If it is cranking then the motor is perfectly fine. If the starter is working on direct connection and not working when rewired to the bike's circuit then the problem might be with the starter relay located just near to the battery. But all that is not the case with you now. Also, if you are not hearing any occasional loud(or metallic) thud when the starter cranks, you can assume that even your sprag clutch assembly is perfectly fine.

So the problem, if you ask me could be some thing regarding the AFM.

PS: Just noticed this statement now
Quote:
Is this after a carb tune?

Last edited by man_of_steel : 24th June 2014 at 12:26.
Old 24th June 2014, 12:38   #1136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is this after a carb tune?
Thank you for your prompt responses. I am not too sure about a carb tune and what all is included. But after the AFM was adjusted in last week, I have faced no issues with ES and idling is also fine.

Could that be the reason then for the problem with the ES motor?

Regards,

Bikramjit
Old 24th June 2014, 13:09   #1137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The AFM could have been the culprit. That may be why the engine was starting easily with more fuel(When choke was pulled).

But just check the sparkplugs to make sure that the ASC guys haven't left the mixture too rich just to get rid of this problem. It happens!
Old 24th June 2014, 15:10   #1138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The AFM could have been the culprit. That may be why the engine was starting easily with more fuel(When choke was pulled).

But just check the sparkplugs to make sure that the ASC guys haven't left the mixture too rich just to get rid of this problem. It happens!
Though I cannot check the spark plugs now, but will try to do it asap and post pictures. One thing that I have observed is that the idling sound is very mild and that there is no discoloration of silencer at any place. I did see Ramesh to adjust the gap on the spark plugs though (decrease it)
Old 24th June 2014, 23:36   #1139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your prompt responses. I am not too sure about a carb tune and what all is included. But after the AFM was adjusted in last week, I have faced no issues with ES and idling is also fine.

Regards,

Bikramjit
There never was a problem with the ES motor.

It's only job is to crank the engine while the starter button is pushed.

Now that the engine is starting properly, your problem is most likely over but remember, if the engine is cold while you are trying to start it, using the choke to enrich the air/fuel ratio is often required. That is why the choke is there.

The choke should not be needed to start the engine after it is hot.

If it is needed after the engine is hot, I suspect the fuel level in the carburetors float chamber to be the cause. Its job is similar to the float in the water tank of a toilet. It shuts off the fuel when it reaches a predetermined height.

If the height or level of the fuel in the float chamber is too low when the float shuts off the fuel supply, the fuel can still be delivered to the carburetors jets because the vacuum in the body of the carburetor is high when the engine is running.

After the engine is stopped, the vacuum in the carburetor disappears. That will allow the fuel to drop down to the level in the float chamber.

If this level is too low, the small amount of vacuum created in the carburetor when the engine is cranking may not have sufficient suction to raise the fuel back up to the jets.

Applying the choke greatly raises the vacuum in the carburetor body allowing it to suck the fuel up even though its level is too low.
Once the engine starts of course, the high vacuum will continue to feed fuel into the engine.

The bottom line is, if your motorcycles engine is needing to have the choke applied when the engine is cold. and it starts properly without the choke when the engine is hot you don't have a problem.

Happy riding.
Jim
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 10:12   #1140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
There never was a problem with the ES motor.

It's only job is to crank the engine while the starter button is pushed.

Now that the engine is starting properly, your problem is most likely over but remember, if the engine is cold while you are trying to start it, using the choke to enrich the air/fuel ratio is often required. That is why the choke is there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
The bottom line is, if your motorcycles engine is needing to have the choke applied when the engine is cold. and it starts properly without the choke when the engine is hot you don't have a problem.

Happy riding.
Jim
Thank you Jim. I have observed that after the AFM was adjusted, Amun-Ra starts smoothly. But obvious its always advised that for cold start or starting after a long duration, it should be done with the help of Choke and ES. But the problem was in normal course of a day, when I had to apply choke to ES. Currently I am keeping it under observation.

But its definitely a good thing to know that there never has been any problem with the ES motor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks