Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2014, 19:40   #1081
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAHBAAZ View Post
Vinit,
Firstly I would like to thank you to let me know about ALEX. He is a great guy.

I took an off from job and visited his garage. He is really a genuine person. I refered T-BHP and mentioned your name. (he said he does not remember names but is happy to know that I travelled 25kms only to get my bike repaired knowing that Dhone automobile is just a km. away from my house).
Anyways he took a test ride and said chances are that clutch plates are worn out. But again he wanted to open before commenting. On unscrewing the case and physically checking the clutches, he said your money is saved. There were few markings on the clutch seat, which he Filed off the surface by some macrons. Later fixed up the cover and took a round. The job was done and the gears were working fine. Though there is minor thug sound, but its okay compared to the previous. The ride has become smooth. Now the clutch setting is awsome compared to previous that was done by Dhone automobiles.

He is supposed to leave for Goa this evening and my return by 10th May. I definately will have my Bull serviced in his hands. There was one of the Roadshakers head at his place. I recognised him but did not have a word.
Between Kunal and Alex, if your RE is still under warranty and you want to get things done, only Alex does it. Same goes if you want to claim insurance for the work being done. Kunal isn't interested in jobs that are going to be claimed for Insurance. But Alex accepts these.
I live right in between these two workshops (and there is Dhone as well on Airport road, but never considered it).
What goes in favor of Alex is that even Alex's staff knows stuff about RE and how to do things. Cant say the same for Kunal.

Happy to know that your issues were resolved. When it comes to RE, there is one golden rule - "Never go to the showroom operated Service Centres".
Re: Alex knowing me, well he doesn't know me at all. Infact I have never met him before. Been there on two occasions and his staff did a good job. I have hardly run 14k kms on my Bull (total injustice to the Bullet) in the last 5 years. Hence the visits to the workshops have been quite few. My friends with Bulls always ask me to start going to Alex. They have munched more miles and hence have first hand experience between the two workshops.

Note: Even Alex is into Business and hence, we ourselves have to be careful of what work is being suggested and whether its truly required.

Edit: Where exactly do you stay in Pune? There are a few more workshops around Pune who do a decent job. You may not travel for 25 kms for it. There is one in Wanawori, which I have heard is quite decent.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 20th May 2014 at 19:44.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2014, 15:40   #1082
Senior - BHPian

Just found the following through the facebook.

Crampbuster.

Basically what I understood from the videos is that one can use this to keep the throttle open, for an extended amount of time, rather than squeezing it and putting strain on the palm.

Now theoretically it sounds quite good, but how practical are they from usage perspective? Also is there any risk, if suddenly one has to take over from the "leisure control"? Experts, please share your inputs.

Link is as follows :-

http://www.a2z-motorcycle-superstore...x#.U4BubvmSw9Q

Royal Enfield Queries-capture.jpg
Old 25th May 2014, 00:25   #1083
Senior - BHPian

Right after my third servicing, I had gone to Bhor (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3432022)

Post that trip I have observed that at times, it seems that the fuel flow to the engine gets stalled. Earlier I observed that the occurance was quite rare, but off late seems that it is happening every now and then. Typical observations are as follows :-

> The engine misses one or two beats.
> The speed drops drastically and then regains the composure.
> It seems that all of a sudden the engine does not get any fuel and the bike wishes to stop.
> On rotating the accelerator things become normal again.
> The duration is not more than 2 seconds at max, missing one or two engine beats.

Initially I thought that the culprit was the air filter and I opened and cleaned it to the extent possible without any air jet. But seems that the problem is not resolved. Also the trip to BHOR was done after the third servicing, so I do not see any major issues.

Requesting experts to please pitch in with their suggestions. Also please advise the best homely way to clear the airfilter as there is no vaccum cleaner at home to create air jet.

Kind regards,
Old 25th May 2014, 10:49   #1084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Hello guys, please help me in getting a suitable sump guard for my B500.
Viaterra is selling a sumpguard for the Classic models. Considering it is designed for UCE engines, i dont think it will fit your B500 but you can surely have a discussion with them.

Quote:
Just found the following through the facebook.

Crampbuster.

Basically what I understood from the videos is that one can use this to keep the throttle open, for an extended amount of time, rather than squeezing it and putting strain on the palm.

Now theoretically it sounds quite good, but how practical are they from usage perspective? Also is there any risk, if suddenly one has to take over from the "leisure control"? Experts, please share your inputs.
Even i thought it sounds good and purchased it from LetsGearUp at Bangalore. Practically, it took a bit of getting used to. I found that the crampbuster was most comfortable if i put it towards the bar-end weights, but with the amount of throttle which has to be given to maintain highway speeds, the crampbuster has to be pointing slightly upwards and then gets in the way of applying brakes. Now i put it towards the switchgear, it isnt the most comfortable position for cruising or braking, but its manageable

Could have been better if the bar end weights were of the rotating type, or better if a quick throttle setup could be attached. Even without these it works for me. I'd recommend getting two and putting one on the left handlegrip also
chotu_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2014, 11:11   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chotu_r View Post
Viaterra is selling a sumpguard for the Classic models. Considering it is designed for UCE engines, i dont think it will fit your B500 but you can surely have a discussion with them.
Thank you for your inputs. I have seen the Viaterra but am not too pleased with the price perspective. Moreover there are no images as to how will be the product. I think something like a hard sheet and soft bracket combination (or vice versa) should be able to provide the best protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chotu_r View Post
Could have been better if the bar end weights were of the rotating type, or better if a quick throttle setup could be attached. Even without these it works for me. I'd recommend getting two and putting one on the left handlegrip also
The space in the handle bar is really a concern and I have some serious doubts with my hefty hand, if there will be any space left at all. It would definitely be good if we could make use of the bar end extension, but thats not possible. Also I think that these things are more useful when one has long stretch of roads ahead and miles to munch, probably not apt for city riding. If possible can you please share some images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Quote:
> It seems that all of a sudden the engine does not get any fuel and the bike wishes to stop.
> The duration is not more than 2 seconds at max, missing one or two engine beats.
Jim, I am quoting you as I desperately need some advise. This is in reference to the above mentioned problem symptoms. This morning while cleaning Amun-Ra, I noticed that one of the pipes is torn at the point of insertion. I am not sure what it is called, hence this way of defining. The below image will show you the exact location of the devise, just underneath the petrol tank with the black wire protruding out.

Royal Enfield Queries-img_20140525_100902509_hdr001_ls.jpg

This is a much closer image captured from handheld. Please do notice the section where the pipe is attached to the devise. I tried to insert it back and it seemed to be quite snugly fitted, but this tear was definitely not there earlier. Can this be the possible cause of the above problems I am facing. If so, then may I presume that just by replacing the pipe everything will be fine? [By the way, what is called ?]

Royal Enfield Queries-img_20140525_100925901_hdr001.jpg

Also while cleaning, noticed that the front screw had come loose on the silencer's heat sheild. Talk about vibrations, , thankfully it did not fall off and I never felt any vibes.

Royal Enfield Queries-img_20140525_100941520_hdr001_ls.jpg

Kind regards,
Old 26th May 2014, 01:14   #1086
Senior - BHPian

I am at somewhat of a disadvantage because not only do I not own a carburetored RE but I am not in India where I could study one of them.
The fuel injected 500's like I own don't have a similar part.

That said, I believe the part you are referring to is the Pulsed Air Valve (PAV).

It is there to inject small quantities of air into the exhaust to burn any fuel that was not burned in the combustion chamber. This lowers the amount of hydrocarbons released to the atmosphere, reducing air pollution.

If one of the tubes connected to this valve is damaged it should be repaired by either replacing it or, if there is enough free length available, trimming off the damaged end and inserting the remaining undamaged tube onto the PAV.

One of the tubes that connect to this valve goes to the carburetor.
It is possible that if this is the tube that is damaged, some additional, unwanted air could be getting into the carburetor upsetting the air/fuel ratio.

I wouldn't expect this to cause the sudden loss and return of power you are noticing but it should be fixed.

If Amun-Ra still has the sidestand safety switch in place and attached to the wiring harness, it could be the source of the problem.
This is the switch which is located where the sidestand attaches to the frame.
The switch will prevent the engine from running or starting if the sidestand is deployed.

On some of the RE's, this sidestand switch will be positioned so the slightest movement of the sidestand arm will momentarily activate it.
When this happens, the engine will be shut off for just an instant and then it will return to normal operation.
The best solution is to have a good mechanic check out the switch and adjust it if it needs it.

A more dangerous "fix" for this switch is to disconnect the short wire that runs from the switch and plugs into the main wiring harness just behind the transmission.
This will inactivate the switch so if you have used the sidestand and forget to put it up before riding off, the sidestand, bumping the ground could cause the motorcycle to crash.

Being a old rider who learned to ride long before such safety features were invented, I disconnected my sidestand switch to solve a "misfire" problem just like yours but, if you choose to disconnect the switch your doing at your own risk.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 10:16   #1087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Check the spark plugs and the rubber manifold from air filter to carb for cracks.

If that is allright, there was a similar problem reported for the TB350s/500s. Its worth a shot.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3391284

Quote:
If Amun-Ra still has the sidestand safety switch in place and attached to the wiring harness, it could be the source of the problem.
The carb fed UCEs doesnt come with a side stand sensor.
man_of_steel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 10:30   #1088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I believe the part you are referring to is the Pulsed Air Valve (PAV).
Yes that is correct.

Quote:
I wouldn't expect this to cause the sudden loss and return of power you are noticing but it should be fixed.
I agree too. As the power is returning back after a brief interval.

Quote:
This morning I looked at the bottom of Amun-Ra but could not locate any side stand safety switch. I am sure to be looking at the wrong place. Please can you share some images so that I know better of the location / devise and then take it up accordingly with the technician. Or can it be that the switch is not present in this model?

Royal Enfield Queries-img_20140526_071938055_hdr001.jpg

P.S. :- I just saw your update Man_of_Steel. Let me check the Spark plugs too. But probably this has to wait till the weekends. Till then a knocking bullet to the office and back.

Last edited by Majumdarda : 26th May 2014 at 10:33.
Old 26th May 2014, 10:51   #1089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
The carb fed UCEs doesnt come with a side stand sensor.
* Correction: Except the TB350, no other carb fed models have side stand sensor!
Old 26th May 2014, 23:46   #1090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Edit: Where exactly do you stay in Pune? There are a few more workshops around Pune who do a decent job. You may not travel for 25 kms for it. There is one in Wanawori, which I have heard is quite decent.
Hello Vinit,

Thanks for the details. After the work my RE bull has done around 1100kms and it's running smooth. It's time for an oil change. Secondly, on 23rd of this month the Bull has completed 1 year and has now run around 10,600kms.

I stay in near TATA motors Chinchwad MIDC very close to Dhone Automobile SC. For me travelling the distance is not a big deal if the bike is serviced as per my requirements.

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting a long post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th May 2014 at 21:58.
Old 27th May 2014, 00:39   #1091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Right after my third servicing, I had gone to Bhor (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3432022)

Post that trip I have observed that at times, it seems that the fuel flow to the engine gets stalled. Earlier I observed that the occurance was quite rare, but off late seems that it is happening every now and then. Typical observations are as follows :-
It could be as simple as somebody screwing up the tuning screw right below the tank. I have experienced it twice when I parked it in malls. But then, in that case it will switch off at idle due to very low throttle. Worth checking.
Just increase the idle setting and drive some distance.

Re: the cracked pipe, either cut and use it again or replace it.

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting a long post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th May 2014 at 21:59.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 10:39   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
It could be as simple as somebody screwing up the tuning screw right below the tank. I have experienced it twice when I parked it in malls. But then, in that case it will switch off at idle due to very low throttle. Worth checking.
Just increase the idle setting and drive some distance.

Re: the cracked pipe, either cut and use it again or replace it.
Well the idling problem was there right from the beginning, but every time I overlooked it. I just needed to apply choke to start, thats it. If the Bike has been running for long, then Stop-Go would never been a problem at traffic signals, else apply choke, then start and then go. Not that problematic for me, but yes its a problem day one. (the issue is not with the machine but with the RE authorized mechanics who handle this)

I will definitely check the tuning screw but i wonder if someone will touch that. With regards to the cracked pipe, yesterday I tried to see if there is free length available, but it seems that the other end is attached to something , underneath the tank, without much liberty of movement. So definitely replacement is the only option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
I have gone through your suggested thread and if its because of the fuel lid (and just the fuel lid, not breather pipes etc) then probably its quite strange that even my Pulsar has the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post
Shan, was the fuel lid replaced after all and was it within the extended warranty period you had mentioned above? In that case, how much did you have to shell out?

The problem is not with the RE motorcycles. Machines by virtue will have problems. Problem is the with the Service technicians. Now as advised by you all and if I intend to replace the fuel lid under warranty, those idiots will never ever agree. Who can argue and win fighting with a wall? I really wonder what certifications / training does these idiots really have to even touch a piece of machinery.

Another thing I did not want to say as I know you all will start kicking me. The engine oil in the storage compartment is above the Max mark. And you guess the argument ?

"Are we insane to give you more fuel and charge you less? The guide lines that you see, can be moved and therefore it matters nothing. Trust me as we handle many bullets in servicing on a day to day basis. We have not provided you extra oil."

I had checked the oil level right after the servicing was over and had highlighted to the In charge. Have a look at the below image, after bike was started and on main stands and judge

Royal Enfield Queries-oil-level.jpg

Why I have kept quite? Because the fourth servicing is still pending and I do not want to start another fight with the Service Station.
Old 27th May 2014, 11:14   #1093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have gone through your suggested thread and if its because of the fuel lid (and just the fuel lid, not breather pipes etc) then probably its quite strange that even my Pulsar has the same problem.
Spot on! Same problem is there with pulsars too.

Quote:
"Are we insane to give you more fuel and charge you less? The guide lines that you see, can be moved and therefore it matters nothing. Trust me as we handle many bullets in servicing on a day to day basis. We have not provided you extra oil."

Why I have kept quite? Because the fourth servicing is still pending and I do not want to start another fight with the Service Station.
Agh! No comments!! But I think you can ignore the extra oil as far as the bubble is visible on top of the window. Its not worth wasting your energy arguing with those idiots. Experts please correct if I am wrong!
man_of_steel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 11:47   #1094
Senior - BHPian

Lessons learnt the hard way. Next time onwards, ask the idiots to remove oil in my presence , and i have a clear view. Filling up to be done the same way.

Okies now that the thread is hot, please advise on the below,

1. How to get rid of the starting problem? If anything to be replaced, how to make them do it within warranty?

2. How to have the fuel lid and other associated lock and keys replaced within warranty, without trialing here and there method?

Gosh, these service tecnicians are a real pain.
Old 27th May 2014, 23:21   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
Shan, was the fuel lid replaced after all and was it within the extended warranty period you had mentioned above? In that case, how much did you have to shell out?
Yes, It was replaced under warranty. With that my Exhaust Cam gear is set to be replaced day after tomorrow & the Rear hub will also be changed.

Now, that I wonder, my TB has been completely replaced under warranty part by part, leaving the chassis & motor. Weird.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks