Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2014, 20:32   #976
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
...I personally carry two hardened tempered steel chains (realy thick links - heavy stuff that would take hours to hacksaw through, impossible to snap with a crowbar) with similar eye rings. And two hardened tempered steel ring locks that do no allow enough space for a crowbar to be pushed through for leverage. One chain goes around front wheels and fork tubes, the other chain wraps around rear wheel, swing arm and chain. This is how I secure my bike on tour. Heavy iron for heavy iron horse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Doctor, RaviSir,

I definitely like this approach and I think this best suits the Bull (and for that every other moving two wheelers also). If you can please share some pictures, then I would be pretty sure what I need to explain to the shopkeeper and what I am to expect.

Please post some pictures.

Best regards.
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 19:51   #977
BHPian

Please help me in deciding between Classic 350 and Thunderbird 350
I did a test ride of both but still confused.

My requirements are as follows
1. I need 350 CC only- as it fits to my pocket
2. Once in a month small ride between 50-100 km (return)
3. Once in a quarter long ride 250-500 km (return)

No daily commuting as my office is near to my house.

For city driving on weekends I already have Activa and car , so I need a bike only for solo drives on highways and ghats. I am 5 ft 6 inch in height . So which one is good for long drives in terms of comfort to driver, maintenance, mileage etc.
Old 13th January 2014, 20:23   #978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep joshi View Post
..so I need a bike only for solo drives on highways and ghats..
I would suggest you to go for the TB350 as it is good for highways and has better handling capabilities than the C350.
Old 13th January 2014, 20:40   #979
BHPian

Quote:
Please help me in deciding between Classic 350 and Thunderbird 350
Did you TD both of the motorbikes?

My sincere advice is to go for the 500's of either of those motorbikes.Since you only use it for the pleasure of riding.TD the 500 and I'm sure you will absolutely love it!Mileage and price,Well let the TD speak for itself.

As far as between the Thunderbird and the Classic.IMO,The classic looks just amazing with the solo seat.A more retro bike on the whole.I haven't ridden the Thunderbird on long rides,So I cannot comment on if it has better handling or if it is better suited for a highway.I feel(know) the classic will do just fine.

But really.TD the Thunderbird and C500's.
Old 14th January 2014, 05:07   #980

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post

Did you TD both of the motorbikes?

My sincere advice is to go for the 500's of either of those motorbikes.Since you only use it for the pleasure of riding.TD the 500 and I'm sure you will absolutely love it!Mileage and price,Well let the TD speak for itself.

As far as between the Thunderbird and the Classic.IMO,The classic looks just amazing with the solo seat.A more retro bike on the whole.I haven't ridden the Thunderbird on long rides,So I cannot comment on if it has better handling or if it is better suited for a highway.I feel(know) the classic will do just fine.

But really.TD the Thunderbird and C500's.
There is definitely a clearly perceived difference to an experienced Bullet expert, but for the rest of the biking community, the difference in power, mannerism and feel get hidden behind the Rs. 40000 price difference. Moreover a new buyer learns to feel and connect with an Enfield only after spending some time with it. So for the first time buyers even a 350 and for that matter a Thunder bird 350 may be a very welcome and if I can say an affordable choice.
Old 16th January 2014, 20:23   #981
BHPian

so I am planning to book TB 350,
In Pune ,who is better dealer in terms of service and on time delivery ?
Kings autoriders baner or Sidh auto, Kothrud ? Both are asking to wait 3 to 5 months for TB 350. Also let me know that
Do i need to do all first year free services at the same dealer or i can do it at any ASS ?
Is it matters if i purchase bike from one dealer and do free services at another dealer ?
Old 16th January 2014, 20:44   #982

Quote:
Kings autoriders baner or Sidh auto, Kothrud ? Both are asking to wait 3 to 5 months for TB 350. Also let me know that
Do i need to do all first year free services at the same dealer or i can do it at any ASS ?
Is it matters if i purchase bike from one dealer and do free services at another dealer ?
350 is a good choice. The waiting period is almost same across the country. All allotments being done in an order of bookings sent by the dealer.
Of course you can buy and get all free and paid services with any authorised dealer in the country. I bought my Machismo AVL from an agency to which I never went for any service or maintenance. All service commitments will be respected by authorised dealers.
Go ahead with your booking and subsequent purchase of the TB 350.
Old 17th January 2014, 08:32   #983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good morning Sandy.

Amongst the two vendors that you have quoted above, I would prefer SiddhAuto. They tend to stick to their commitments and the folks over there are a friendly lot, whom you can approach with ease. I personally have felt this many a times. I have no such experiences from KA and have not heard either from others.

With regards to servicing, you can do it from any of the authorised RE dealers or showrooms, across anywhere in India. The warranty / free services are of equal weightage, provided you carry along your book (for stamping etc)

Lets know what you decide and probably we can go for some real long rides too.

Best regards,
Old 22nd January 2014, 19:13   #984
BHPian

Planning to upgrade to a TB 500 from my 2001 Std 350. How much can i expect for my bike, its in very good condition and has run around 32000 kms.

How much can i pay for a 2013 Jan TB 500 which has run 5500 kms.

Both bikes are KA registered and in Karnataka.
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:08   #985
BHPian

Are the motorcycles in M'lore?(I'm assuming since I see KA19 on your location tag)If so I'm positive you would get upwards of 90,000 Rs.Apparently there's a shortage of second hand bulls here in Udupi or so my mechanic tells me.I was trying to source one for a friend a while ago.
Old 23rd January 2014, 22:37   #986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Are the motorcycles in M'lore?(I'm assuming since I see KA19 on your location tag)
Yes. The bike for sale is in Mangalore, it was in Udupi-Manipal for a decade before I shifted to Mangalore.

Thanks for the ball park figure. Guess I should get more than that since its very very well maintained.

Time to put up an ad on the classified section.
Old 26th January 2014, 19:14   #987
BHPian

While cleaning today, i twisted the throttle & to my shock, the cable seems to have been sticky. As I do not use the motorcycle daily (only once a month), i assume the accelerator cable has gone dry. When i tried to start the engine, it does not. Seems like the cable is pull open
I tried to dis-lodge the cable from under the twistgrip but it comes loose - there is a small bolt with a cut for the wire, the narrow end goes inside the twistgrip assembly & the wider end holds the cable pin. On the carb top, i can pull the cable but it does not spring back to its original position!

How do I solve this problem?
Old 29th January 2014, 00:47   #988
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries - UCE Oil Consumption

I have a 2009 TBTS UCE for the last two years. I am the third owner of the bike and of late I noticed that in between the 6 month/ 6,000 km service, I invariably had to top up the oil by a good 300ml (empty sight glass) after completing ~4,500 km.

There are no Oil leaks whatsoever in my bike.

I have a suspicion that the piston rings are shot and the bike is burning oil. Since it has done close to 48,000 km and the engine and the chassis has become quite rough in terms of vibrations in the last 6 months I have a feeling that the engine would need a rebuild (re-bore, piston, pins and rings) soon.

Question 1: Is there any way to know for sure whether it needs a re-build or not?

Another thing that I have noticed is that the last two service bills show the change of wheel bearings. Now in the earlier service they had changed the wheel bearings at the front and rear and i could feel a grinding on every turn of the wheels. This mild vibration similar in sound and feel to grinding (like old worn out brake shoes getting stuck in drum brakes) was felt on the handlebars. In the last service this was noted down and another set of wheel bearings were changed but since then this kind of grinding is felt in the foot pegs. This is noticed best while coasting in neutral in the 30-35 kmph band.

Question 2: Would it be safe to assume it is related to wheel bearings or can it be related to the crank also? By the frequency of the sound it seems to be occurring once every wheel rotation rather than once every crank rotation.

It would be helpful if other members share the oil consumption experience of their bikes with UCE.
Old 29th January 2014, 10:39   #989
BHPian

Hi Tgo,

UCEs definitely don't 'consume' the amount of oil that you are referring to in your post. Mine is a STD350UCE and it has been a fill-it-shut-it-forget-it kind of experience so far.

Do check for the engine oil-drain-bolt located below the engine. In case it is loose, you may be losing a few drops every now and then. Ask the mechanic to use lock-tite on the bolt.

On your doubt of piston-rings-being-worned: Have you seen dark coloured exaust? As per my mechanic, the exhaust gases would be BLUE in color if the piston rings are worn-out.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
I have a 2009 TBTS UCE for the last two years. I am the third owner of the bike and of late I noticed that in between the 6 month/ 6,000 km service, I invariably had to top up the oil by a good 300ml (empty sight glass) after completing ~4,500 km.

I have a suspicion that the piston rings are shot and the bike is burning oil. Since it has done close to 48,000 km and the engine and the chassis has become quite rough in terms of vibrations in the last 6 months I have a feeling that the engine would need a rebuild (re-bore, piston, pins and rings) soon.

Question 1: Is there any way to know for sure whether it needs a re-build or not?

Another thing that I have noticed is that the last two service bills show the change of wheel bearings. Now in the earlier service they had changed the wheel bearings at the front and rear and i could feel a grinding on every turn of the wheels. This mild vibration similar in sound and feel to grinding (like old worn out brake shoes getting stuck in drum brakes) was felt on the handlebars. In the last service this was noted down and another set of wheel bearings were changed but since then this kind of grinding is felt in the foot pegs. This is noticed best while coasting in neutral in the 30-35 kmph band.

Question 2: Would it be safe to assume it is related to wheel bearings or can it be related to the crank also? By the frequency of the sound it seems to be occurring once every wheel rotation rather than once every crank rotation.

It would be helpful if other members share the oil consumption experience of their bikes with UCE.
Old 29th January 2014, 12:05   #990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post

1) Check if there are any traces of oil in the exhaust tip. Smudge the inside of the exhaust tip with a finger, and if you get only black soot then the piston rings, cyl walls and all are perfectly fine. But if you get soot with oil, then it suggests a busted piston ring or bore.

2)Check if the clutch plates are fine. My ex-'09 TBTS had the same issue of oil consumption and was diagnosed with worn out clutch plates. Replaced all 6 of them and then it was fine since then. Check if you get jerky feeling when you ride in the friction zone(Half clutch).

Quote:

IMHO, wheel bearings need not be replaced in such a short interval of time. Regarding the grinding feeling on the footpegs(especially while moving in neutral or on clutch) is due to the chain. Please check if the chain is clean and lubed. Dirty/stiff chain links will cause this drag or grinding feeling. Also do check if the sprockets are in good shape. If not replace them.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 29th January 2014 at 12:08.

Most Viewed