Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2013, 14:21   #961
J.Ravi

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queryanalyzer View Post
Should I just reset/ignore the maintenance remainder?
When the ignition was off, press both select and set buttons together; then, switch on the ignition, keep pressing the buttons for a few seconds, switch off the ignition and release the buttons. There won't be any service reminder icon!
  (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 19:06   #962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
I have a 2001 standard, so we're in the same boat. Have done approx 50000 kms in it. What are the things i should look out for at this age. I don't have the engine oil issues that was discussed, but lately i see that the ammeter doesn't go all the way on the negative side as it used to. The kick starter isn't as firm as it used to be.

Also want to put a different set of tires, have always been using MRF nylogrip. Have had the tires lock up and squeal on multiple occasions. Any recommendations?
The ammeter needle falling to the extreme negative side happens when any electrical accessory like horn or extra lights are used. When firing the engine, it falls a bit to the left . If you are referring to the needle just jumping from left to right while riding and it is not doing so now, there is nothing to worry.
The needle on my bike is quite steady and on the charging side until I cross 90, when it starts jumping. That is indication that the engine has crossed its comfort zone.
The best tire I have used is CEAT Secura Sport which is available in 3.25/19 now. MRF Meteor is a good tire for rough roads as well as grippy.
Old 31st December 2013, 21:03   #963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
When the ignition was off, press both select and set buttons together; then, switch on the ignition, keep pressing the buttons for a few seconds, switch off the ignition and release the buttons. There won't be any service reminder icon!
Thanks for that!
I just realized that the 2nd service is at 3000kms/90 days (+-15 days). Perhaps the service reminder is flashing based on the days count.
Queryanalyzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2014, 12:22   #964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
Hi rki2007,

welcome to the club and congrats in advance.

You share the same delima that I had when I wanted to Own a RE, I did multiple trips on both the bikes and the only reason for me to opt for the TBTS 500 was the riding comfort. I am 162 cms approx and the sitting position in classic was with a slightly forward stance for me ,my lower back was hurting after 20 min of riding, again not that this is a deal breaker, my wife was along with me and for her the classic was not as comfortable as the TBTS, her opinion matters as she will be riding with me often. Also this was going to be my daily ride forever

So check out both the options and decide keeping comfort + ride + look + day to day activities in mind.

PS-Even today the classic make our heads turn when one passes by
Thanks Jimmy. I am on the same page with you. I had an opportunity of test riding Classic 350 and TBTS 350 once again. Somehow not convinced with the seating position and ride comfort of classic 350 and finally decided to go with TBTS 350.However the retro looks and feel of classic 350 is to be extinguished.
rki2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2014, 19:13   #965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Thanks Jimmy. I am on the same page with you. I had an opportunity of test riding Classic 350 and TBTS 350 once again. Somehow not convinced with the seating position and ride comfort of classic 350 and finally decided to go with TBTS 350.However the retro looks and feel of classic 350 is to be extinguished.
If your heart says CL350, then choose CL350.

I was also feeling very uncomfortable with my new CL350 riding seat position, also due to the fact that it was a completely new seating posture. Riding for 20-30 mins would make the back uncomfortable.

Then I changed to electra's handle which raised the handle height a bit, and after getting used to the riding posture, riding has become comfortable.

Recently came back from a 1000+km roundtrip journey, me on Cl350 and friend on TB350. Taking the right breaks on right time ensured that the ride was very comfortable. We covered around 500kms in 8-9 hrs and the ride was comfortable, even the TB350 rider was complaining of back pain if we rode for long continuous stretch.

I believe once you get used to the riding posture, the ride eventually gets comfortable.
Old 2nd January 2014, 11:50   #966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Also want to put a different set of tires, have always been using MRF nylogrip. Have had the tires lock up and squeal on multiple occasions. Any recommendations?
I have button tyres on the front and rear, and love the grip both on and off the road. Front is Ceat Secura Sport and rear in Dunlop Unigrip. Stock sizes.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 20:30   #967
Senior - BHPian

Query regarding the Bullet 500's tires

The front wheel is of 19" [90/90 - 19" - 52P] and the rear wheel is of 18" [120/80 - 18" - 62P]

I am looking for Tire tubes for emergencies. I have inquired in PCMC zone, but none stores the exact requirement. Not even the MRF guys. Can anyone please tell me that where I can get one pair in Pune and what will be the approximate pricing?

Another question is with regards to foot-pumps. I would like to buy one but not sure which shops sell them? Please guide me along with the make and price.

Thank you and best regards,
Old 6th January 2014, 12:39   #968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Query regarding the Bullet 500's tires

The front wheel is of 19" [90/90 - 19" - 52P] and the rear wheel is of 18" [120/80 - 18" - 62P]

I am looking for Tire tubes for emergencies. I have inquired in PCMC zone, but none stores the exact requirement. Not even the MRF guys. Can anyone please tell me that where I can get one pair in Pune and what will be the approximate pricing?

Another question is with regards to foot-pumps. I would like to buy one but not sure which shops sell them? Please guide me along with the make and price.

Thank you and best regards,
We have searched extensively for 120-18" tubes for my friend's CL350 and TB350 in Banglore but with no luck. So we had to go with 100-18 tubes. It will do just fine as the other one is almost absent in the market. 90-19" tube should be easily available.

There are some footpumps available in eBay.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 17:21   #969
J.Ravi

I want to have the best possible security [additional locking without alarm/siren] for my Thunderbird 500. Kindly suggest the good ones available in India.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 6th January 2014 at 17:28.

Old 7th January 2014, 15:40   #970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I want to have the best possible security [additional locking without alarm/siren] for my Thunderbird 500. Kindly suggest the good ones available in India.
Ravi Sir, you can try using disc brake lock. I have seen some in eBay.

Or you can put an additional circuit breaking switch (like the ignition switch) tucked away under the seat or some other place not visible in one glance but known and accessible only to you.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 15:54   #971
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Ravi Sir, you can try using disc brake lock.
I bought from ebay a similar disc brake lock in blue colour, which was used to be locked in the saree guard, when not locked on the disc. One not-so-fine day, I observed that the lock managed to vanish into thin air. Now, I have only the keys sans the lock! Now, I am using the helmet lock as the additional wheel lock of which I am not so confident as anybody could pry it open using a thin wire.

While sleeping at a bus shelter at midnight near Perundurai, when returning from my Athirapilly Falls trip, a policeman woke me up and cautioned me not to do so as some multi-axled container lorry drivers gang up, attack lonely two-wheeler riders, take away their bikes, put them inside their container and sell the parts after dismantling within a few days in a different part of the county. He told me that such robbery cases were not at all traceable. He confided that he received a lot of complaints from two-wheeler riders on 4-laned highways. Hence, I just to want make sure that my bike would be safe all the time.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 7th January 2014 at 16:05.
  (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 16:20   #972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While sleeping at a bus shelter at midnight near Perundurai, when returning from my Athirapilly Falls trip, a policeman woke me up and cautioned me not to do so as some multi-axled container lorry drivers gang up, attack lonely two-wheeler riders, take away their bikes, put them inside their container and sell the parts after dismantling within a few days in a different part of the county. He told me that such robbery cases were not at all traceable. He confided that he received a lot of complaints from two-wheeler riders on 4-laned highways. Hence, I just to want make sure that my bike would be safe all the time.
Truth of the matter sir is that there is no simple rule of thumb out on the highway. Personally, I have slept under trees (in the daytime), at bus shelters (again in the daytime), and at night, either petrol pumps or dhabas (once also in a cattle shed ...). I find that those two are safer, because they know that short of killing you and getting rid of your body, their fixed location means you are going to come back with the law. Also, the number of people around ensures no hanky panky. Avoid treat station parking and bus stops. Too many migrants without any ata pata there.

My suggestion is please close eyes and forget about all these new age fancy internet stuff. Bullet is old age bike, we are old age guys, and hence security should also be old age. I personally carry two hardened tempered steel chains (realy thick links - heavy stuff that would take hours to hacksaw through, impossible to snap with a crowbar) with similar eye rings. And two hardened tempered steel ring locks that do no allow enough space for a crowbar to be pushed through for leverage. One chain goes around front wheels and fork tubes, the other chain wraps around rear wheel, swing arm and chain. This is how I secure my bike on tour. Heavy iron for heavy iron horse.

Last edited by ebonho : 7th January 2014 at 16:26.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 19:56   #973
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I personally carry two hardened tempered steel chains
Thanks a lot for the kind workable, long-lasting, age-old solution. I will follow suit.

Old 7th January 2014, 22:29   #974
BHPian

When I am traveling, I use this old fashioned lock

http://linklocks.com/mobike-lock/

I haven't fixed it permanently on the front shock absorber. I just carry the u-shape rod and lock separately, when I need to lock it, I lock it the traditional way, and unlock and keep it in my bag.

Its not theft-proof but serves as a visible deterrent
Shakensoul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 15:53   #975
BHPian

Guys,

I am expecting my bike in the Jan end or First week of Feb. It is DS500. Few mods are already there in my mind like

1) Better Handle Bar - May be Electra
2) Short Bottle Silencer - Only After first 2000Kms
3) Thunderbird like Seat with a Back rest like new Bullet 500

Can I do these mods easily without making so much changes/alterations?
Where can I get this done in Pune ? Any good Mechs for this?
Any warranty related issues due to above mods?
Any pics on above mods?

Pls reply.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks