Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2013, 11:43   #946
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Hey fellow-bulleteers,

I'm kind of stuck in a soup.

I had bought my first RE in 2005 - TB AVL (350cc) and was riding it all along until 2008 Dec, post which I had sold it to a colleague of mine.

FOr 4 years, this gentleman (thats me being polite) rode the bull for 350 kms in total, and had kept the bull in an utterly pathetic condition. No proper maintenance, no care-taking, more like an adopted stray.
Couldn't bear the sight of it when I had been to his place, so I immediately bought it back from him.
The bike is special to me, and I had sold it only because he convinced me how much he likes RE's and also because I was traveling extensively.

After buying it back, first thing I did was to take it to Teknik Motors in Outer RIng Road and got a thorough service done (almost burning 8K in the process).

I've been using it quite regularly since the last 6 months.

The BULL was wearing out on its aesthetic appeal, and I could hear some knocking sound from the engine.

Not wanting to give it to a commercial establishment where young kids having worked on RE's for a couple of years claiming they're the experts.

After searching on some forums and also on the Royal Enfield's own forums, I came across Kannan (Manjunatha Mmotors - Banaswadi, Bangalore).

I made an appointment and went to meet him.
Upon inspecting the bike, he confirmed that the engine needs to be worked, piston bearings, tappet, head, etc are worn out.
I also wanted to get the bike painted as well. I've heard good reviews of the paint job that they do, so I made up my mind and took my bike there yesterday.

Yesterday, for the mechanical work, he gave a quote of 12K including labor, however the painting cost baffled me.

What I want is a matte black to be done, in its entirity - including the engine bay (buffing).
He stated that there would be tinkering work and all the associated, and the paint job turned out to be 18K (base painting), 3K (tinkering), 6K (engine bay painting), 3K (chroming) and another 5K (i can;t recollect what that was for) - quantifying to 35K!!!!!!!!

I've given him a go-ahead for the engine work only, but for the paint job, I've told him that I'll visit him this evening and confirm.
At the moment, I am skeptical in giving the paint job to him, but would rather check outside and other places on the prices, and also seek advice from other forum members.

Any help would be seriously appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

- Maddy
Old 26th December 2013, 13:21   #947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
tharian and ebonho how old are your bullets?
Mine is an October 2002 manufactured Standard 500.
Old 26th December 2013, 14:05   #948
BHPian

Engine oil smell during cold start

I own a TBTS 500 that has done close to 9000 kms.
There's this smell of Engine oil from the exhaust during cold starts that lasts for maybe a minute or so.What can this be attributed to,any idea?
Old 26th December 2013, 22:38   #949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
tharian and ebonho how old are your bullets?
Mine is a 96 500 bought in 07 and rebuilt to almost new including a new piston/ bore in 08
Old 26th December 2013, 22:53   #950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
- quantifying to 35K!!!!!!!!
Sounds highly inflated, even double if you ask me. Anyway, if you want a matte finish, why not go in for a Powder coat? Looks good, and pretty cheap. I got my entire bike scraped and powder coated for around Rs.1,500/- here in Pune.

In Bangalore, the guru of all Enfields resides. Mr.GUrunandan is also very helpful and communicative. Try emailing him. You'll find his details here in Team-bhp.
Old 27th December 2013, 07:49   #951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Standard 500.
Did a 550 km day trip yesterday to Coorg. Was pleasantly surprised and the bike was well behaved.
No pinging except occasional ones ,no loss of power. Got a mileage of 32 with speeds around 90.
Not sure if its the cool weather that is helping. But I was doing the same speeds i was doing the last time into Andhra.
Bike is very cranky !
Old 27th December 2013, 10:59   #952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Did a 550 km day trip yesterday to Coorg. Was pleasantly surprised and the bike was well behaved.
No pinging except occasional ones ,no loss of power. Got a mileage of 32 with speeds around 90.
Not sure if its the cool weather that is helping. But I was doing the same speeds i was doing the last time into Andhra.
Bike is very cranky !
550 kms saw her drinking how much oil?
Old 27th December 2013, 11:33   #953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Sounds highly inflated, even double if you ask me. Anyway, if you want a matte finish, why not go in for a Powder coat? Looks good, and pretty cheap. I got my entire bike scraped and powder coated for around Rs.1,500/- here in Pune.
Hi John, where did you get the powder coating done in Pune. I wish to get my engine,rims and few other bits powder coated. Working on a black and maroon theme on my CL500.
Although must say I am amazed at the bargain basement quote of Rs.1500.
Old 27th December 2013, 11:58   #954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
550 kms saw her drinking how much oil?
On the dipstick, from little above max when starting off to exact half way between max and min after the trip.
The oil loss I experienced in the last trip was due to block in the circulation due to air block probably. It was bad luck that it had to happen on a ride.
Yesterdays trip was much better, also because the weather was chill all the way too, being Coorg and the other ride was through barren land, Andhra.
Bike is good now and hope it remains.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 22:16   #955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBull View Post
Hi John, where did you get the powder coating done in Pune. I wish to get my engine,rims and few other bits powder coated. Working on a black and maroon theme on my CL500.
Although must say I am amazed at the bargain basement quote of Rs.1500.
ANy powder coater in your neighbourhood will charge you around this. If you can't find one, I'll take you to this guy in Baner who did my bike.
This is a rough & ready job, nothing that will win your bike beuty contests, just bear that in mind:-)
Old 29th December 2013, 15:30   #956
Senior - BHPian

Hello Friends,

Probably we all have seen this video many a times, (I have seen it a lot), but one question that bothers me is his name. I had read someplace that the pin stripping done at the RE is done by brothers, but does anybody know their names?

Just being inquisitive.

Regards,
Old 29th December 2013, 23:28   #957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Hello Friends,

Probably we all have seen this video many a times, (I have seen it a lot), but one question that bothers me is his name. I had read someplace that the pin stripping done at the RE is done by brothers, but does anybody know their names?

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=UsTIMxeO_ng

Just being inquisitive.

Regards,
The one in this video is Mr Jayakumar. His brother is Mr Kishore.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 30th December 2013, 08:12   #958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
The one in this video is Mr Jayakumar. His brother is Mr Kishore.

Cheers,

Jay
Thank you very much Jay
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 16:23   #959
BHPian

My 3 months old TB500 has started flashing the maintenance icon when the odometer got close to 1000 kms. I did the 500kms service and next one is at 3000 kms. Should I just reset/ignore the maintenance remainder?
Thanks!
Old 31st December 2013, 10:06   #960
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is an October 2002 manufactured Standard 500.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Mine is a 96 500 bought in 07 and rebuilt to almost new including a new piston/ bore in 08
I have a 2001 standard, so we're in the same boat. Have done approx 50000 kms in it. What are the things i should look out for at this age. I don't have the engine oil issues that was discussed, but lately i see that the ammeter doesn't go all the way on the negative side as it used to. The kick starter isn't as firm as it used to be.

Also want to put a different set of tires, have always been using MRF nylogrip. Have had the tires lock up and squeal on multiple occasions. Any recommendations?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks