Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2013, 15:43   #901
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
Fullrevs, the delivery of DS for me is slated in Feb or Mar. I'm eagerly looking forward to own this. How has been your experience so far with the new machine. Are there too many niggles or major issues. I was always told that a niggle free RE is a myth, do you see that as well.
How has been the first impression and initial 20days.
Hi Harish! Ive owned the bike for exactly 22 days and done a heavy 500km. Ive not had any mechanical issues or anything alarming of the sort. I had one problem the day after I took delivery of the bike which was that the bike wasnt starting. The RE guys had left a lose connection to the battery which was rectified at my residence itself. Good service by the RE guys!!

Lost a screw on the small heat-shield around the exhaust bend pipe which I think is due to some meddling drivers in a hotel parking lot or from the thump of the bike itself. Those things are worth tightening every now and then.

Went for a 80km ride last saturday night towards Nandi hills and the bike was simply fabulous. Had a TBTS 350 (a friends) come along with me and the performance deficit was blatantly visible. I always had a higher gear on reserve. The bike easily cruises on 4th gear at 70km/hr without screaming for the 5th.

Whilst stopping for a water break, left the key in the ignition with the engine kill switch off. Since the bike was on gear I didnt notice if the ignition was on and was left that way for about 90mins. Started without a problem but the right parking light started to flicker for a while and then just corrected itself after riding for a few kms. I dont know if leaving the key in the 'on' position was the problem but everything is fine since then.

I am not a daily rider and tend to use it on weekends of if I leave work early in the evenings. I have no complaints so far, the bike is fabulous and I have truly become a RE fan. The dealership has been extremely helpful to me especially when they came down to my house to fix the electric problem considering I live around 22km away from the dealership/service centre. The bike is due for the 1st free service tomorrow and I just cant wait to get a goldie exhaust after 1000km. The stock exhaust is pretty good with the famous thump in itself but I would prefer a deeper thump and minor performance gains that comes with a goldie. There is a vast contrast in sound compared to the stock exhaust of the Classic 350 which is really subtle.

I think you have chosen wisely and I look forward to seeing your reports and pictures once you get the bike. Happy riding!!

Here are some pictures of my ride:
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Queries-img_3312.jpg  

Royal Enfield Queries-img_3309.jpg  

Royal Enfield Queries-img_3289.jpg  

Royal Enfield Queries-img_3291.jpg  

Old 4th December 2013, 18:07   #902
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Hi guys! Picked up a desert storm 500 about 20 days ago.
Congratulations and best wishes, Fullrevs.

Quote:
Few of my friends are recommending that I use Synthetic Oil in the bike for smoother and better running. Are any of you taking this route?
Stick on to the company-recommended oil [Liquid Gun] until the free services and warranty period are over.

Old 4th December 2013, 19:15   #903
BHPian

My Electra is due for service in a couple of days, I am planning to however take it down to the service center on Monday, since it is my weekly off so i can sit down and get the service done.
Was wondering what is it that the SC guys would do on first service?
I am aware of the following
1) Replace Engine Oil
2) Wash & Clean etc
3) Tighten nuts etc etc.

I am not sure what else to expect.

There are a few issues though that I need to get resolved on first service, the ASC @ Teknik Motors is aware of these issues.

>The bullet has a drag to the left with the handlebar left alone when riding.
>The Fuel Lid does not want to open, I have to fiddle with it a lot to get it off to fill petrol, which gets really embarrassing.
> The Exhaust Bend Pipe Holder, attached to the engine has a crack on it that I was told will be replaced during first service.
> Forks need adjustment (I am assuming) to fix the drag issue.
> Carb needs to be set for lean mix (I am not sure though, please advice)

Is there anything else that is supposed to be done by ASC?

Also should I go to Teknik Motors Indiranagar or should I go to the RE service center on Bannerghatta Road? Teknik motors is aware of the issues and I was thinking it would be a good idea to go there than to the Bannerghatta Road one. However the latter has been recommended by many.

Please get me out of the dilemma
Old 8th December 2013, 23:18   #904

So I've been accessorising my TB 350cc since the past few days. Got some nice seat covers stitched and ordered a Studds Cruiser Box to fit on the side.
The one eyesore on the bike is the pair of plastic RV mirrors. The guy at the dealership told me that no Enfield chrome mirrors are available for the Thunderbird since the mirror socket in the TB is different from that of the other models. So I'm kind of at a loss. The only suitable option seems the chrome mirrors from Bajaj Avenger, but I have no idea if they'll fit the TB. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 9th December 2013, 00:18   #905
BHPian

^^^^
Short answer: Avenger mirrors fit, look, and work just perfectly.
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 17:00   #906

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpraveenkr View Post
Hi,

I have just moved from hyderabad to bangalore and had a few queries.

1. Any good mechanic in bangalore? I heard there are some good ones in shivajinagar but can anyone point me some specifics.

2. There is some squeaky noise from the front of the bike when it runs over potholes. Have tried to replicate the problem while stationary but am unable to do so even when trying to compress the shocks fully. Any suggestions?

3. My engine keeps getting cut off when I am at idle or low RPMs despite keeping the idling significantly higher than usual. This happens throughout the day, not only in morning and regardless of the distance I have driven. As a result I have to keep revving the engine which I am sure is not a very good idea. My hyderabad mechanic said that the piston rings have to be changed and reboring was required when I had got it serviced a year back. But after going thorough the posts and checking the exhaust as suggested, I could find only black soot and no oil mix, so are the piston rings really out? Pointers?

I have a 2002 AVL Machismo. I stay close to CV Raman nagar in Bangalore (for suggestions for point 1).

Thanks a lot.
Hi Praveen,

Hope you've got some of your issues sorted by now. Here're my two cents.

1) Mechanics: Try doing all your small repairs yourself and take it to the authorized service center if there's something major. There are many self-proclaimed super-skilled mechanics in Bangalore. However, most are phonies or have been publicized by half-knowledged bulleteers and might want to exploit the least bit of anybody's ignorance to milk money. Even at the authorized service centers, make well-informed choices as the mechanics tend to "REPLACE" parts rather than fix the root cause which might work out much simpler/inexpensive.

2) Squeaky noise: Mainly from your fork, shock-absorbers or bearings. This might range from bearing runouts to simple lubrication issues.

3) It's quite simply because of low-pressure developed in your engine due to leakage of compressed gasses. During the power stroke, fuel explodes, expands pushing the piston down thereby creating power. If the piston rings have run out then some gas leaks through the sides of the piston hence creating low power. This could also be at your valves. If your tappet clearance has been adjusted very low i.e. your exhaust valve always remains open and hence the required high-pressure compression is never achieved due to leakage of hot gas through the exhaust valve. The possibility of your engine burning too lean cannot be ruled out too.

Hope this helps.
Happy thumping bro!
Old 9th December 2013, 19:49   #907
BHPian

Had no replies to my post on where to get the service done, so I decided to give it for service at Teknik, spoke to the engineer and explained how this bullet is a soulmate. I feel that helped and after i got the bullet after service this evening. It rides like a charm. Loving it, gearshift is real smooth, the exhaust head replaced, brakes set, fuel cap all set and is just great. Just thought would share this info here.
gearbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 07:20   #908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
Had no replies to my post on where to get the service done, so I decided to give it for service at Teknik, spoke to the engineer and explained how this bullet is a soulmate. I feel that helped and after i got the bullet after service this evening. It rides like a charm. Loving it, gearshift is real smooth, the exhaust head replaced, brakes set, fuel cap all set and is just great. Just thought would share this info here.
Great. Happy to hear the issues getting addressed.
I've also heard lot of positive reviews on teknik. I booked mine at brand showroom near jaydeva, and service is below average. Will try teknik next time
Old 10th December 2013, 12:41   #909
Senior - BHPian

I bought my bike and did my first service at Teknik. Ive been seeing that dealership since I was a child. They do a really good job and have been quite nice with my vehicle from the time of purchase. I recommend this dealership to any bulleteer in Bangalore.

Have noticed that the paint on the desert storm is quite susceptible to chipping. Have got two or three chips on the front mud guard already. Does anyone think a teflon coat will give the paint a bit more resistance? Im worried if the 'matt' finish will suddenly look glossy with teflon.
Old 10th December 2013, 14:53   #910
Distinguished - BHPian

My RE Classic 500cc Chrome will be completing 2 years on Dec 26th, 2013

As that can tell, Iam up again for renewing its insurance. I havent had any claims on the bike yet. So what should be the ideal IDV value and premium that I should be looking at paying?

Also, any recommendation on insurance company?
Old 10th December 2013, 14:59   #911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
My RE Classic 500cc Chrome will be completing 2 years on Dec 26th, 2013

As that can tell, Iam up again for renewing its insurance. I havent had any claims on the bike yet. So what should be the ideal IDV value and premium that I should be looking at paying?

Also, any recommendation on insurance company?
Congrats on the 2 years mobike008!

I have been going for ICICI-Lombard two wheeler insurance. I found it to be reasonable enough. Although I have never made any claims!

You can get an online quote on the premium amount here in their site and pay it online.
Old 11th December 2013, 08:01   #912
BHPian

Quote:
I bought my bike and did my first service at Teknik. Ive been seeing that dealership since I was a child. They do a really good job and have been quite nice with my vehicle from the time of purchase. I recommend this dealership to any bulleteer in Bangalore.

Have noticed that the paint on the desert storm is quite susceptible to chipping. Have got two or three chips on the front mud guard already. Does anyone think a teflon coat will give the paint a bit more resistance? Im worried if the 'matt' finish will suddenly look glossy with teflon.
Hi.. There is a treatment from 3M called paint sealant (or similar name), but I'm not sure whether they do this for 2 wheelers. You can check with them.
I've also heard quite a lot on paint chips in desert storme. The delivery is slated for February, and I'm thinking whether to stick with DS, or change to Black.
Old 11th December 2013, 17:28   #913
Senior - BHPian

Has any member who has a old CB points ignition system done a conversion to CDI on their Bullets?

RE used to sell the CDI conversion kit before , not sure if they do now.
Its for my CI500 as I am fed up getting it perfectly tuned.
Either it knocks, or kicks back or the valves are very noisy . It seems to not work perfectly fine without any of these niggles which makes me belive some part of the ignition link is worn out.

Regards

Last edited by tharian : 11th December 2013 at 17:30.
Old 11th December 2013, 18:02   #914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dont go for teflon on matte finish. Ideally, you shouldnt even use car shampoo on them. There are matte paint sealants available for protecting the finish. But I am not sure of its availability in India. But I think chipping is due to either the primer not sticking to the metal or the paint not sticking to the primer and I dont think even a sealant can prevent that! And yes, I too have noticed this issue on Desert Storms.
Old 11th December 2013, 19:17   #915
BHPian

Hi guys. I am really interested in painting the rims of my Thunderbird TS black. But the question is where do I get it done in Pune? Can anyone lead me to a good painter who will know what he's doing? Also is there anything I should be careful about? What will the approximate cost be?

Thank you. Waiting for a reply.

Most Viewed