Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2013, 17:56   #871
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

I am trying to buy the NGK Spark Plug BPR7ES for my Classic 350. I checked at all possible local stores, but no one carries the normal plug, they all stock Iridiums.

Vicky.in has the NGK spark plugs, but part numbers are not mentioned in the description. Emailing them is no help as they are unable to provide part numbers.

However, it seems that the part numbers are mentioned in the URL. For e.g. this link http://www.vicky.in/shopping/Bike-sp...%20plug&page=1

which is for UCE - 350 cc (Thunder Bird Twin Spark Plug), the NGK part number bpr5es is in the url.

But Part Number BPR7ES is mentioned in this link http://www.vicky.in/shopping/Bike-sp...0enfield%20ngk

which is mentioned as for 350 cc(Machismo - LB)

Anyone has experience dealing with the online store ? Should I go ahead and order the BPR7ES product ?
Old 27th November 2013, 19:50   #872
BHPian

I am only getting about 27 kmpl on my bullet electra uce 350, just done about 380kms on it, and the tank was filled up to the brim and that got me about 312 kms before it started to run into reserve.

I am wondering what could be causing such low mileage.

Also i ran the bike till 330kms on the ODO and then filled in 5 liters, now its back to reserve again @ 380km on the ODO. Any thoughts??

EDIT - I use the clutch a lot. I used to idle a lot too at signals etc, during the first tank full when I got 27kmpl.
I rectified these habits in my 2nd run where I had filled in 5 ltrs.

Last edited by gearbox : 27th November 2013 at 19:52.
Old 27th November 2013, 20:39   #873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
I am only getting about 27 kmpl
If your bike emits black smoke, first check for tappet setting and then carb and others.

Quote:
EDIT - I use the clutch a lot. I used to idle a lot too at signals etc, during the first tank full when I got 27kmpl.
I rectified these habits in my 2nd run where I had filled in 5 ltrs.
In any case it should be near 35kmpl for 350 UCE.
Old 27th November 2013, 22:21   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
If your bike emits black smoke, first check for tappet setting and then carb and others.

In any case it should be near 35kmpl for 350 UCE.
Thank you Alok, Black or white smoke are the first things I checked, Negative for both.

I agree that it should be near 35kmpl, but then that is not the case unfortunately.
Old 28th November 2013, 07:44   #875
BHPian

Quote:
I am only getting about 27 kmpl on my bullet electra uce 350
if your bike is otherwise running fine and once your running in is over, try filling up at different petrol bunks and then check the mileage. My TBTS gives me different mileage when i fill at different bunks, also for different times of the day (i think its the effect of change in petrol density w.r.t. temperature, so i try to fill up at night or early morning - experienced members may kindly disabuse me of this notion if i am mistaken). I am getting anywhere between 33 - 40 kmpl in the same city riding conditions, without appreciable change in traffic or my riding habits, hence i think it has a lot to do with the bunk. Ambient temperature and time of day also, since different mileage even when filling from same bunk at different times!

Another way which is probably better would be to measure mileage from full tank to full tank, calculate the km travelled as per the petrol filled when doing second full tank. You might also try running your bike with one of those plastic containers used to measure petrol, similar to those in asc.
Old 28th November 2013, 10:51   #876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chotu_r View Post
if your bike is otherwise running fine and once your running in is over, try filling up at different petrol bunks and then check the mileage. My TBTS gives me different mileage when i fill at different bunks, also for different times of the day (i think its the effect of change in petrol density w.r.t. temperature, so i try to fill up at night or early morning - experienced members may kindly disabuse me of this notion if i am mistaken). I am getting anywhere between 33 - 40 kmpl in the same city riding conditions, without appreciable change in traffic or my riding habits, hence i think it has a lot to do with the bunk. Ambient temperature and time of day also, since different mileage even when filling from same bunk at different times!

Another way which is probably better would be to measure mileage from full tank to full tank, calculate the km travelled as per the petrol filled when doing second full tank. You might also try running your bike with one of those plastic containers used to measure petrol, similar to those in asc.
The bike has not yet done 500kms on the ODO. The mileage i got was from the very first tank full after delivery. The 2nd fill was 5ltrs, and rest assured i am confident, bunks never fill the correct quantity ever, that could be the reason for poor mileage.

You are right on that part that different bunks give different mileage, I have seen that with my other vehicles, the only time my swift gave a good mileage was when i filled in petrol from Shell. I shall do that with the Bullet too now.

I would also like to get up early and fill in petrol early morning, since the density is the best during early morning. Hope it would help get some better mileage.
Old 28th November 2013, 14:56   #877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The bike has not yet done 500kms on the ODO. The mileage i got was from the very first tank full after delivery.
Give it some time Gearbox. AFAIK, RE-s will be running rich before the first service @ 500kms. It will take some time for the mileage to settle in. Ideally, the carb should be re-tuned in the first service.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 28th November 2013 at 14:57.
Old 28th November 2013, 15:34   #878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Give it some time Gearbox. AFAIK, RE-s will be running rich before the first service @ 500kms. It will take some time for the mileage to settle in. Ideally, the carb should be re-tuned in the first service.
If that is true, my colleagues with Electra - CL 350 had their' set lean from the factory - LOL. They get about 35 or more.

Am I the only one getting special attention from RE Just kidding

Have to wait and watch i guess

Last edited by gearbox : 28th November 2013 at 15:37.
Old 28th November 2013, 23:47   #879
BHPian

Hello Friends,

Just came across this video on youtube, please have a look .

Total Respect !!!

Mods, please edit this in-case this is in the wrong thread.
Jimmy_u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 12:10   #880
BHPian

Intake Resonator ???

Now that RE's catch-can is dealt with, i'm looking to clear yet another- the 'Resonator'.

Air filter was moved into the Rhs toolbox in early 2000's and the old square air box was plumbed through renaming it as 'resonator box'. The setup is not consistent across models, for eg., Avl 350 & 500 had it but t'bird did not. Iirc, Uce std & electra 350's have it but Cl350 or t'bird does not.

I couldn't help wondering whether the box as a resonator is as functional & true to what its called. Agree that increase in air volume post the filter is good but what practical riding difference does it make in comparison to old type, Especially in Cast iron engines? Multitude of boxes, hoses,clamps etc is a pain to look at & work on, making me want the old Ci350 type filter or one from Ci500 at best, on my '08 ci350 engine.

Can anyone pls help in reasoning out the resonator than just kicking it out?
Old 30th November 2013, 12:31   #881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
Hello Friends,

Just came across this video on Youtube, please have a look .

Total Respect !!!

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=O-JwZ...s5pOLCm89n0Xsg

Mods, please edit this in-case this is in the wrong thread.
Thank You for sharing this video. Just loved it!!!!
gearbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 12:50   #882
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intake Resonator ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
Now that RE's catch-can is dealt with, i'm looking to clear yet another- the 'Resonator'.

Air filter was moved into the Rhs toolbox in early 2000's and the old square air box was plumbed through renaming it as 'resonator box'. The setup is not consistent across models, for eg., Avl 350 & 500 had it but t'bird did not. Iirc, Uce std & electra 350's have it but Cl350 or t'bird does not.

Can anyone pls help in reasoning out the resonator than just kicking it out?
As far as I have experienced the two types of set ups on the same bike, it does make a difference.
I have a 02 Electra in which the filter was changed to the old type on recommendation of my old school mech. The same guy had a routed the breather pipe to the chain much to my dismay back then, until I realized the oil can does nothing much but keep the floor clean of oil and at times clog the air filter with oil.

The old type air filter I picked up was essentially an open filter with an enclosure. The bottom of the box was open with an oval metal cover to hold the filter element. The ones on the CI500 are different boxes with the bottom of box closed and just a opening on the side bottom for the air intake, and cannot be fitted on the CI350 due to the size difference, unless you change the air filter box clamp.
The resonator was incorporated on Bullets at the same time the muffler went ballastic and the oil can came into existance and I feel most of the changes were done towards meeting standards.
So REM did a lot of changes from 2002 onwards which was good as my Electra runs like new even now.

Coming to the difference in riding, you will loose a certain amount of smoothness by removing the resonator box. The smooth transistion is lost when you open the throttle or when moving from standstill along with some harshness on running with throttle open as well. But the advantage is, the engine feels a bit more responsive mainly because of the open filter.

I am using a 08 Electra as well which has the old type filter fixed and apart from the above mentioned points, it feels much faster than my 02 Electra, also because its run lesser.,not to mention the intake roar , if you have the stock muffler.

I think the TB does have a resonator box, which is much smaller and part of the plastic air box.

Regards

Last edited by tharian : 30th November 2013 at 12:53.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 16:16   #883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
As far as I have experienced the two types of set ups on the same bike, it does make a difference. .......

Coming to the difference in riding, you will loose a certain amount of smoothness by removing the resonator box. The smooth transition is lost when you open the throttle or when moving from standstill along with some harshness on running with throttle open as well. But the advantage is, the engine feels a bit more responsive mainly because of the open filter. ... Regards
How was the ci-500 box in terms of noise/ smoothness in comparison to old air box (even if on 350)? It looked better designed with enclosed filter, inlet shroud & conical section to filter setup. It is mid way of old & current types and hopefully a sensible piece. I haven't been able to get a spare in 1-2 years & so is thinking of getting one made.

The smoothness i think is from air volume the box holds rather than resonation. Is there a way to know if RE's setup is helpful in positively supporting engine output even for a small rev range?. Then, engine getting responsive on reverting to old box might be pointing at negatives, a possible obstruction to flow of which the paper element also is a part. I had similar rev happy experience with a generic paper pod filter +foam over, put on the intake pipe of resonator box and later with paper element inside an old type box. Now i'm running OE setup but with older filters (RE's paper, Steelbird fabric etc) instead of big round paper, hoping for a ci-500 box
Old 30th November 2013, 17:24   #884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
How was the ci-500 box in terms of noise/ smoothness in comparison to old air box (even if on 350)? It looked better designed with enclosed filter, inlet shroud & conical section to filter setup. It is mid way of old & current types and hopefully a sensible piece. I haven't been able to get a spare in 1-2 years & so is thinking of getting one made.

The smoothness i think is from air volume the box holds rather than resonation. Now i'm running OE setup but with older filters (RE's paper, Steelbird fabric etc) instead of big round paper, hoping for a ci-500 box
I think the 500 box would be the right set up for the 350, in your case.

I haven't tried my 500's air box on the 350, mainly since it is bigger and does not fit. But when on the 500, it feels almost similar to the stock air filter system as on my Electra. Mainly because of the way the 500's box is designed., and at the same time gives me that quick response and a slight intake roar nearing WOT.

The new set up , which the is the circular air filter in the RHS tool box is for sure restrictive, but I have left it as it is since I want my Electra to be a peaceful/smooth bike with lazy riding.

There is a K&N stock air filter replacement for the circular one, not sure if it is still available now. But rather pointless on this engine .
The old pre 2002 A350's use to have the same air filter box as the 500's, but in chrome.
Old 1st December 2013, 16:39   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I think the 500 box would be the right set up for the 350, in your case. ...
..... The old pre 2002 A350's use to have the same air filter box as the 500's, but in chrome.
Glad to learn that the ci500 box is a worthy piece. Though i too like smoothness, it might not be the fact behind change to new setup- possibly for emissions or servicing ease. At low revs, the intake feels fairly compromised and is part of why i'm looking backwards hoping to free up bit more torque. That said, i'm not in for a revvy motor nor want the old open bottom box.

Never measured a ci5oo box, so you sure its same size of Avl 4s? Iirc, Avl's was a huge - edgy box with removable top.

cheers..

Last edited by Rennjit : 1st December 2013 at 16:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks