Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2013, 19:30   #796
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Hey Guys, Wondering if WD 40 is good to be used as chain lube? I want to be sure before I got one for my Electra.
Old 7th November 2013, 19:33   #797
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
Hey Guys, Wondering if WD 40 is good to be used as chain lube? I want to be sure before I got one for my Electra.
No.

Its a degreaser. The exact opposite of what you want.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 19:45   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
No.

Its a degreaser. The exact opposite of what you want.
Thank You bblost, Could you recommend any please?
Old 7th November 2013, 19:59   #799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
Thank You bblost, Could you recommend any please?
Buy a pack of grease,(Castrol sells them in a squeeze type pack) available in shops that sell motor oil.
Park the bike on center stand, with the rear wheel free off the ground. Rotate the wheel , with the engine off, and you can grease the chain with the tube.
You can always spread them evenly with your fingers, away from the sprocket.

Regards
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 20:23   #800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Buy a pack of grease,(Castrol sells them in a squeeze type pack) available in shops that sell motor oil.
Park the bike on center stand, with the rear wheel free off the ground. Rotate the wheel , with the engine off, and you can grease the chain with the tube.
You can always spread them evenly with your fingers, away from the sprocket.

Regards
To add to this (you might be well aware of this, but stressing the point again..) please never 'NEVER' try to clean or lube the chain with the vehicle running in gear.

And make sure you ride for a couple of kms before lubing the chain. A hot chain helps the lube to penetrate deep into the O rings more.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 7th November 2013 at 20:25.
Old 7th November 2013, 21:15   #801
BANNED

Dumb Q , why are people talking about using grease on open chains like Bullet ? wont it attract dirt ?

Using some lighter oils (15 w 40) frequently (every 1000 km) what about that ?
Old 7th November 2013, 22:19   #802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
To add to this (you might be well aware of this, but stressing the point again..) please never 'NEVER' try to clean or lube the chain with the vehicle running in gear.
Correct. Which is why I mentioned 'engine off' in my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Dumb Q , why are people talking about using grease on open chains like Bullet ? wont it attract dirt ?

Using some lighter oils (15 w 40) frequently (every 1000 km) what about that ?
I have used oil when the bike was new on the chain. It basically just gets thrown off while running and makes the rim and behind the number plate an oily mess. Hardly lasts 100kms.
Grease lasts and I have been using it for a while now and the chains on my bikes last around 50k kms aloing with the sprocket.
Whatever oil is on it , falls off the breather pipe in small quantities .

Regards

Last edited by tharian : 7th November 2013 at 22:21.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 00:32   #803
Senior - BHPian

If the DOT 5 fluid is the silicone based type it will make more than a mess.
It will destroy all of the rubber components in the entire hydraulic brake system.
Been there, done that.

It sounds to me like the two brake pads are hanging up on the two guide rods in the caliper. Rust/corrosion or just a lack of a good high temperature grease on the pins can cause this. It is most likely if the motorcycle has been ridden in wet weather.

Correcting this problem isn't difficult if you have a few wrenches. You will not be opening the hydraulic system so you won't even have to mess with bleeding it.

Watch this great video created by Singhg5, a member of the Royal Enfield U.S. Community Forum to see what is involved.

Remember, Singhg5 is replacing his brake pads with new ones. If your brake pads have more than 3mm of pad material on the steel backing plates you do not need new pads.

Also notice that very little of the high temperature grease is needed on the two pins and great care must be used to assure that absolutely NO grease gets onto the brake pad surfaces or the disk.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 8th November 2013 at 00:41.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 08:55   #804
BHPian

Thank You Guys, I shall get the grease from Castrol. I was also wondering if there are any good aftermarket brake pads (rear drum brake) that i can install?
Old 8th November 2013, 09:02   #805
Senior - BHPian

Hello Friends,
My small query on this forum with regards to a certain "krrrr sound" issue I am facing.

Off late it seems that whenever I remove my left hand from the handle, there is some slight krrrrr sound coming off the handle assembly. It starts after I cross approx 50kmph. I have identified the culprit to be the rear view mirror. If I press it, then the sound is gone for good. Now, I tried tightening the base connection (the point where the mirror is connected to the handle) and it is pretty tight. There is no option to tighten the base in the mirror assembly. Please refer below picture

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...img_5566__.jpg

But I am sure that the sound is coming from here.

It is not something that I cannot live without, but please advise if there is some thing I can look into, to try to eliminate this.

Best regards,
Old 8th November 2013, 09:14   #806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Hello Friends,
My small query on this forum with regards to a certain "krrrr sound" issue I am facing.

Off late it seems that whenever I remove my left hand from the handle, there is some slight krrrrr sound coming off the handle assembly. It starts after I cross approx 50kmph. I have identified the culprit to be the rear view mirror. If I press it, then the sound is gone for good. Now, I tried tightening the base connection (the point where the mirror is connected to the handle) and it is pretty tight. There is no option to tighten the base in the mirror assembly. Please refer below picture

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...img_5566__.jpg

But I am sure that the sound is coming from here.

It is not something that I cannot live without, but please advise if there is some thing I can look into, to try to eliminate this.

Best regards,
- Loosen the base nut by a fair amount
- rotate the mirror in the tightening direction till it stops (Now you can see that more of the thread on the mirror stem has gone inside the groove). If it stops mid way when in complete tightened position, counter rotate to the desired position.
- Tighten the nut again after fixing it in a desirable position.
- While tightening the nut ask someone to hold the mirror in position(or you can DIY) else it will rotate with the nut.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 8th November 2013 at 09:22.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 09:23   #807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
...some slight krrrrr sound coming off the handle assembly. ...identified the culprit to be the rear view mirror...
The glass mirror might have come loose in its seat. Happened on my ~7.5 year old Electra. A dab of fevikwik around the edge (rubber ring) will arrest the movement and vibration will stop.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 10:05   #808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
- Loosen the base nut by a fair amount
- rotate the mirror in the tightening direction till it stops (Now you can see that more of the thread on the mirror stem has gone inside the groove). If it stops mid way when in complete tightened position, counter rotate to the desired position.
- Tighten the nut again after fixing it in a desirable position.
- While tightening the nut ask someone to hold the mirror in position(or you can DIY) else it will rotate with the nut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
The glass mirror might have come loose in its seat. Happened on my ~7.5 year old Electra. A dab of fevikwik around the edge (rubber ring) will arrest the movement and vibration will stop.

-BJ
Thank you all for responding to my query. I think that there is no issue with the base as the sound stops the moment I grasp the mirror while driving. As suggested by bj96, probably the mirror has come loose in its seat. I will try with the Fevikwik around the edges and see if that resolves the issue. I will keep you all updated about the progress.

Thank you all,

Best regards,
Old 8th November 2013, 10:49   #809
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I have used oil when the bike was new on the chain. It basically just gets thrown off while running and makes the rim and behind the number plate an oily mess. Hardly lasts 100kms.
Exactly, the Idea is the excess oil gets thrown out " Along " with the derbies & the required oil stays penetrated in the links.
The No. plate getting messy is not the fault of the process but of inadequate chain cover .This is a certain way to keep the chain & sprockets clean of muck & small particles.

Quote:
Grease lasts and I have been using it for a while now and the chains on my bikes last around 50k kms aloing with the sprocket.
would you like the chain lasting more than a 100 K km ?
I have achieved it on my 28 yr old yezdi .I used only engine oil as routine maintenance prescribed in manual & then as preventive maintenance dipping it in molten hot grease overnight & wiping out the extra grease before re fitting. although the Yezdi had a full chain cover unlike Bullet & that helps too much.

The Idea of chain Lubrication is based basically on
# penetration in links

&

# between the chain & sprockets

Dirt sticking with grease is a bad Idea equal to offering emery pest between sprocket & chain.

Many manuals & generic books on maintenance have advised against use of grease, for

# it does not penetrate in links ( if not molten )

# it acts as a grinding pest along with dirt

Quote:
Whatever oil is on it , falls off the breather pipe in small quantities .

Regards
Yes in older bullets the oiling part was taken care like this & no need of putting anything in routine maintenance.

Although cleaning the chain throughly with kerosene , drying & blowing by compressed air & dipping in molten grease for at least 12 hrs is the method many manuals prescribe for every 10 K km .

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 8th November 2013 at 10:51.
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 09:03   #810
BANNED

Well one thing I forgot in the above post of mine, this is old theory, now I am not clear about the new generation chains which have O rings by the side of the links.

More Dumb Qs for this new gen chains.

# will the molten grease theory apply to this also ?

# Will the O rings permit any oil to reach inside the links ?

# Does it mean sealed for life lubrication Part ?

I have seen special Lubrication cans , spray cans. Those had an oily substance of equal thickness to engine oil (not greasy form) I think the powerful spray could have been reaching in the links. May be Super-bike Pros have more info on this.

sprocket to chain Lubrication is not much of an Issue.

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 9th November 2013 at 09:06.
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks