Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2013, 16:19   #646
BHPian

Re: All T-BHP Royal Enfield Owners- Your Bike Pics here Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Congrats buddy. What was the waiting period in your case? And which color did you choose?
waiting for approx 6 months, i choose the twilight color. check our the pic in my avatar
Old 6th August 2013, 20:56   #647
BHPian

Re: My first RE ever.. And a bike after 8 years.. Help!

I have been checking with my dealer for my number in the waiting queue, I was told again today that I am at the 95th position, for the Electra i had booked. and this has been told to me since the last one month, I wonder if they are playing around with the status or really RE has not delivered any Electra's to them in that past one month.
Old 6th August 2013, 21:33   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
I have been checking with my dealer for my number in the waiting queue, I was told again today that I am at the 95th position, for the Electra i had booked. and this has been told to me since the last one month, I wonder if they are playing around with the status or really RE has not delivered any Electra's to them in that past one month.
In case you are not planning to take loan, best way is to call all the dealer and ask if they have the bike available. Tell them that you want to pay by cash. this works many time, try your luck
Old 6th August 2013, 23:27   #649
BHPian

How's the maintenance cost of a RE? While in the warranty period one will have to stick to the company workshop I am sure there are many good independent garages, any pointers?
Old 6th August 2013, 23:28   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit View Post
In case you are not planning to take loan, best way is to call all the dealer and ask if they have the bike available. Tell them that you want to pay by cash. this works many time, try your luck
Tried that already Did not work. It looks like there are way to many people who are ready to pay cash down to get the bull.
Old 7th August 2013, 07:56   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The cost of the rebuild (assuming you are blessed and get all required parts - and on time) is easily many times that of the CI floating bush big end.

As is the off-the-road (OTR - a term coined by RE for their parts dispatch department, and which they seem to love) garage time for the two bikes.

My 2007 LB500 big end grenaded at around 35,000 kms.
Excuse me for the OT but reading your post got me re-thinking about the reliability of my UCE engined RE once again. My TB has completed 20k kms recently and while i know its highly unlikely at this stage, how to know when an engine needs overhauling? What would be the cost involved? My knowledge regarding this is only limited to an idea that piston and sleeve need to be replaced.
Old 7th August 2013, 09:57   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chotu_r View Post
Excuse me for the OT but reading your post got me re-thinking about the reliability of my UCE engined RE once again. My TB has completed 20k kms recently and while i know its highly unlikely at this stage, how to know when an engine needs overhauling? What would be the cost involved? My knowledge regarding this is only limited to an idea that piston and sleeve need to be replaced.
If you are servicing your engine regularly and the oil is being changed per the recommended service intervals you should have less issues.

You will know when the engine needs overhauling. You will definitely feel a drop in power and the engine starts making strange noises. At this stage do not ignore the warning signals and take it to a mechanic/service station.
Old 7th August 2013, 09:58   #653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chotu_r View Post
If yours is the older TB with the AVL engine and single plug, those are pretty bomb-proof. 20k kms is a young bike by that yardstick. Nothing generally happens to them for well over 50k kms, in not more. If you are not losing power, if you are not drinking oil or fuel, if you are not smoking blue or black smoke, then there is nothing wrong with your motor.
Old 9th August 2013, 23:34   #654
BHPian

Update. Was thinking of upgrading to 500 for a while. A dealer in Delhi had some lot available when I checked yesterday. Went to the dealer today morning with my brother. Tested both bikes and we both felt need for more power having ridden the 350. I noted need to downshift a lot especially while trying to pull in 2nd gear at low speeds which the 350 struggled to do. Asked Bro to test the 500 and he returned gleaming. So the decision was made and we put our money on the 500. So I am a proud owner of a RE finally. :-) Drove it very shortly to my folks place in Delhi. It was Eid today so spent the rest of the day with family on four wheels. Had planned to pick the bike on way back home tonight, but an unfortunate slip on a dark stairway injured my left leg and we deferred picking up the bike for tonight. :-( Fortunately my daughter in my arms was unhurt. I will try and pickup the bike tomorrow now. Manzil Motors in gurgaon is arranging a breakfast drive on 15th nearby. Need suggestions if a should be taking my new bike to it so early. Also need all tips for maintaining it and things to watch out for. Will post more on the experience in a few days. And hopefully do a photo shoot also tomorrow.
Old 9th August 2013, 23:37   #655
BHPian

Congrats on the RE, sad to hear that you slipped yet again . Hopefully its not that bad .
Another person falls for the 500 who was out for a 350 !! Good going , ride safe always use a helmet.
Old 10th August 2013, 19:00   #656
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

:Hi guys, I need some experts' advice. Planning to buy a bullet next month. Cannot decide between Electra and Classic 350. Both will be available for delivery in mid Sept in Nagpur. Earlier choice was 500 Chrome, but it will be available by end Nov or early Dec. Cant wait till then. The bull will be used only occasionally, mainly during week-end. Sort of long cherished dream of the past 20 years which could not be fulfilled due to various issues. Please advice which one will be better from maintenance point of view. Be it car or bike, I am averse to go to service station frequently. Price, FE, cost of ownership are not factors. Also, please advise on the process of PDI. Thanks in advance.

Old 10th August 2013, 22:55   #657

Quote:
Originally Posted by purnendubagchi View Post
:Hi guys, I need some experts' advice. Planning to buy a bullet next month. Cannot decide between Electra and Classic 350. Both will be available for delivery in mid Sept in Nagpur. Earlier choice was 500 Chrome, but it will be available by end Nov or early Dec. Cant wait till then. The bull will be used only occasionally, mainly during week-end. Sort of long cherished dream of the past 20 years which could not be fulfilled due to various issues. Please advice which one will be better from maintenance point of view. Be it car or bike, I am averse to go to service station frequently. Price, FE, cost of ownership are not factors. Also, please advise on the process of PDI. Thanks in advance.

Hi, Since you will be using your bike only on weekends, your first choice should be the Chrome 500. This is a very reliable machine. It is worth the wait for a few more months. Folks have waited for upto a year to get the bike of their choice. Having said that, I felt more comfortable on the Electra (great handle bar) compared to the Classic 350 and hence chose the Electra over the C350. This is only a personal choice though.
Old 11th August 2013, 00:50   #658
Distinguished - BHPian

@purnendubagchi

Realizing that you mentioned the only contenders are the 350cc bikes and you really wanted the 500 Chrome perhaps you could look to see if any other 500cc models are obtainable sooner than Nov or Dec?

As fuel costs (and possibly taxes?) are no object, the higher torque and power of the 500 will be appreciated. It is not only useful for high speed touring but you will be using less of the engines power during any ride. That can prolong the engine life.

The maintence on the fuel injected UCE powered bikes consists for the most part changing the oil and the oil filter. If conditions are dusty checking the air filter and blowing the dust out of it with compressed air can prolong its life. (Blow from the outside towards the inside as the dirty air enters thru the inside and passes thru the filter to the outside surface).
Lubricating the chain every 400km is highly recommended as the chain is perhaps the only item on the new RE's that is not a high quality part.

That's about it except for occasionally checking the spark plug(s). (I do not recommend the twin electrode Bosch plugs that the factory installs.)
Old 11th August 2013, 14:12   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlrGuy View Post
Hi, Since you will be using your bike only on weekends, your first choice should be the Chrome 500. This is a very reliable machine. It is worth the wait for a few more months. Folks have waited for upto a year to get the bike of their choice. Having said that, I felt more comfortable on the Electra (great handle bar) compared to the Classic 350 and hence chose the Electra over the C350. This is only a personal choice though.
Thanks for the reply. Went for a TR(Test Ride) today. No doubt the Electra handlebar was great, but I was feeling more comfortable with the CL350. Discarded the Chrome idea as I am terribly impatient to start my affair with my own bull. Anxiously waiting for the CL350 to get delivered in first week of Sept. May switch for Electra only if the 350 is unavailable for some reason.

Old 11th August 2013, 14:23   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
@purnendubagchi

Realizing that you mentioned the only contenders are the 350cc bikes and you really wanted the 500 Chrome perhaps you could look to see if any other 500cc models are obtainable sooner than Nov or Dec?

As fuel costs (and possibly taxes?) are no object, the higher torque and power of the 500 will be appreciated. It is not only useful for high speed touring but you will be using less of the engines power during any ride. That can prolong the engine life.

The maintence on the fuel injected UCE powered bikes consists for the most part changing the oil and the oil filter. If conditions are dusty checking the air filter and blowing the dust out of it with compressed air can prolong its life. (Blow from the outside towards the inside as the dirty air enters thru the inside and passes thru the filter to the outside surface).
Lubricating the chain every 400km is highly recommended as the chain is perhaps the only item on the new RE's that is not a high quality part.

That's about it except for occasionally checking the spark plug(s). (I do not recommend the twin electrode Bosch plugs that the factory installs.)
Thanks Jim. The DS500 is available for Test Ride in Nagpur but not the Chrome one. Looking at the features of DS over CL350 I am still not convinced that it desrves a 40K price difference. Short trips during weekend will not do justice to the powerhouse of 499CC engine. Long waiting period is not doing any good towards the DS either.

As for maintenance, will definitely take your advice once getting the bullet. Thanks again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks