Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2013, 10:29   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

@ abbyshek

It sounds a lot like the misfiring my 500cc UCE was having when I first got it.
I changed the sparkplug for a NGK brand plug and the problem disappeared.

If your sparkplug has not been changed, doing so is worth a try. Just remember, the metal spark plug cap fits directly down over the threads at the top of the plug that are exposed by removing the little screw on cap.

If the spark plug cap is installed without removing that little screw on cap all sorts of misfires and mischief will occur.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 17:49   #527

@Jim... Thank you for your reply. I did change the spark plugs to NGK. Not sure about the screw cap. Will take it to the service centre and give it a try to see if it sorts the issue. Will certainly post you about the same.
Old 15th May 2013, 18:53   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
If the spark plug cap is installed without removing that little screw on cap all sorts of misfires and mischief will occur.
I doubt whether one can fit the socket directly onto the plug without removing the screw cap !
Old 15th May 2013, 23:07   #529

Mod Note : Using Team-BHP to promote vested and commercial interests is STRICTLY prohibited. Do refrain from marketing your goods / services on this board.

We advise you to read the
Forum Rules before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled.

Last edited by moralfibre : 16th May 2013 at 09:00.
Old 16th May 2013, 10:47   #530
BHPian

Hello Fellow Riders,

I am awaiting the delivery of by TBTS 500 and would like some tips for the following scenarios.

I will be taking the delivery in mumbai will have to immediately drive it to pune, would the senior / experienced members help me understand what prechecks are required at the delivery and for riding down any extra items i need to carry.I will be travelling in the middle of the day (no workaround for now)

I have done the mumbai-pune route many times on my caliber 115 hence I know the route etc, couple of fellow Bhpians also suggested the following
-> dont rev the rpm above 2000
-> speeed should be in the range of 50-60
-> engine run-in is important
Old 16th May 2013, 11:31   #531
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
would like some tips for the following scenarios.
The owner's handbook of TB500 specifies giving the bike rest of 5 to 10 minutes for every hour of riding for the first 500 km. I followed this during my Chennai>Pondy>Chennai trip on my Thunderbird 500 before the first service.
  (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 11:37   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
The owner's handbook of TB500 specifies giving the bike rest of 5 to 10 minutes for every hour of riding for the first 500 km. I followed this during my Chennai>Pondy>Chennai trip on my Thunderbird 500 before the first service.
Thanks sir, did you carry any extras during the first long trip, just in case ?
Old 16th May 2013, 11:44   #533
J.Ravi

Quote:
Thanks sir, did you carry any extras during the first long trip, just in case ?
No extras. Just maintain below 60 kmph in the fifth gear on the highway and 5 to 10 minutes rest for every hour's ride. You and your bike will be fine.

Old 16th May 2013, 14:01   #534
BHPian

Can somebody recommend a good set of rear view mirrors for Electra (Old Model), which would not vibrate much?
Old 2nd June 2013, 19:45   #535
BHPian

My cousin in Delhi is interested in buying a RE Classic 350, but the said bike has 5 months waiting in RE showroom... any help/leads as in where he can get the bike in 10-15 days.
schitre05 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd June 2013, 08:45   #536
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
My cousin in Delhi is interested in buying a RE Classic 350, but the said bike has 5 months waiting in RE showroom... any help/leads as in where he can get the bike in 10-15 days.
I was at Manzil Motors in Gurgaon yesterday and on the standard 350 they quoted 45 days. But lead times from RE have been notoriously unreliable, at least that is my impression

Well, if he would be interested in buying second hand: Go to Karol Bagh. Plenty of places around that have classic 350 sitting there ready to go the same day. Both the "real old classic" and the newer latest model as well.

http://www.india.jeroendorrestein.co...gh_Market.html

Or you can do what I did, go to Karol Bagh and have one completely restored: There are several shops that do this. Usually takes 2-4 weeks.

http://www.india.jeroendorrestein.co...new_hobby.html

Enjoy!

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 3rd June 2013 at 08:55. Reason: spelling correction
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 13:03   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Fellow Riders,

I am awaiting the delivery of by TBTS 500 and would like some tips for the following scenarios.

I will be taking the delivery in mumbai will have to immediately drive it to pune,
I would suggest riding it for a couple of days as close to the Dealer as possible and then head for Pune. After all, there is enough info here on Team-BHP that shows how poor the Enfield initial quality is. Add the even poorer PDI performed by the dealership and you essentially might end up with some minor problems waiting to happen.
Test it out for at least a day , and then head out on a long distance ride. Don't trust the dealer, check all the bulbs, fluid levels and battery too.
Ride safe!
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 13:12   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Hi Jeroen,

Lovely bike and even better blog!!! Thanks for sharing the blog with us
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 15:37   #539
BHPian

What precautions does one need to take to protect the Bullet from rains if parking in open is the only option?
Old 17th June 2013, 15:53   #540
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
What precautions does one need to take to protect the Bullet from rains if parking in open is the only option?
Do not park in the Open in rain. I am speaking from experience. I had to change the ignition key-switch set in just 5 months. This was when the rains had not even started.

Another problem is the headlight and indicators getting water in them. Minute in quantity which may vanish on its own but still. And thanks to weird RE design of parts some indicator housings have holes for draining water, but when these parts are installed on your bike without your knowledge that the RR housing was installed in place of the RL housing, the drain hole becomes a collection hole.

Parts like engine cover bolts some nuts and washers which have been frequently tightened like the steering cone nut in the center, oil drain and vent nuts get rusted due to the wear off of the shiny chrome coating while tightening and loosening.

Your rear view mirrors might get jammed. The same goes for the locks and key-holes.

The main stand and side stand get rusted as the paint wears off on parts where you put your foot to operate the stands.

Water gets collected in the spark plug area and a broken seal on the spark plug connector might leak. You will feel like the spark plugs are dead and the bike would not start.

The paint takes a beating and will loose its shine. Even a small amount of water sticking to the rims causes corrosion. The exhaust pipe bend is another area which is very vulnerable to rusting.

Most Viewed