Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2013, 21:14   #511
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Hi guys,

I bought a used '09 Thunderbird last November, it was my very first motorbike, I kind of jumped into it headfirst.

Recently I've noticed that while decelerating, the engine pops or backfires sometimes. This never happened before. It doesn't happen often, but I noticed it happens only on engine braking.

By "engine braking", I mean decelerating by letting off the gas with the clutch still engaged (i.e. the engine is connected to the transmission, and slows the bike down; as opposed to pulling on the clutch, disconnecting the engine and applying light braking).

Being a new rider I've been devouring forum posts on biking everywhere, and recently learned about engine braking and heard that it's better, so that's what I've been doing. However I've noticed I get a few backfires or pops once in a while, only when doing this, and it doesn't happen often.

* So is this a problem, or relatively normal?

* And if so, is it caused by engine braking? Is engine braking something one should not do on an Enfield? I learned about this from forums like Reddit and whatnot, which cater to riders internationally and not specifically in India.

Thanks in advance, everyone
Old 1st May 2013, 09:12   #512
Senior - BHPian

Just check your spark plug. Nothing to worry about.
Old 1st May 2013, 16:16   #513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcussantiago View Post
* So is this a problem, or relatively normal?

* And if so, is it caused by engine braking? Is engine braking something one should not do on an Enfield?

Hi Marcus,
As you know I'm even "newer" to Royal Enfields and to riding a motor bike than you, but here's my two cents. But I've done a lot of work on (classic) cars.

A bit of popping is usually not a problem, but you might want check points, plugs and advance settings. About engine braking. The only technical reason I know of, again based on car engine, for not braking using the engine are two stroke engines. Two stroke engine, usually receive their cilinder lubraction because lub oil has been added to the fuel. Prolonged engine braking could result in your engine seizing. Prolonged as in driving down a steep and long hill.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 09:49   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcussantiago View Post
Hi guys,

I bought a used '09 Thunderbird last November, it was my very first motorbike, I kind of jumped into it headfirst.

Recently I've noticed that while decelerating, the engine pops or backfires sometimes. This never happened before. It doesn't happen often, but I noticed it happens only on engine braking.

Thanks in advance, everyone
Two things that come to my mind.
First : check the plugs, I mean change them and then try.

& Second: have you changed to an aftermarket end pipe, if yes then that could be the source to that pop.

Cheers!
Old 6th May 2013, 13:53   #515
BHPian

Hi Friends,

While I was out of the town, someone seems to have fiddled with my Bullet STD UCE. I am suspecting that some amount of petrol was stolen.
I am thinking of getting the Petrol tap replaced with one with lock.

A mechanic in Pune told me that I should avoid that as the 'flow' reduces.

Any inputs, suggestions ?

Cheers and happy thumping!
Old 7th May 2013, 11:42   #516
BHPian

It turned out that my carburetor was messed up. My boss (an Enfield guru) took my bike to his trusted mechanic who diagnosed this. The carb was all scratched up on the inside, so the air / fuel mix was off, leading to backfiring, black smoke and sluggish performance.

Just got it back yesterday, it's running so nicely that I can't believe it's really my bike, LOL. I did also get the exhaust changed to a "megaphone" style one my boss generously gave me. So between the carb and the exhaust, the popping or backfiring was solved (among various other problems).

Just thought I'd post a follow-up in case it would be helpful to anyone else reading this later on with similar problems
Old 12th May 2013, 10:22   #517
BHPian

Keep my 2005 Royal Enfield 5s cast iron bike or sell it??

Mods: I tried to search for similar thread, but couldnt find any hence created new one. Kindly move to the right section or existing thread as required.

Friends,

I have a 2005 Royal Enfield Electra 5s which I have used for only close to 25000 kms. I am scheduled to travel to the UK on a long term project which can extend anywhere between 2 to 5 years (obviously how I perform in it ).

My dilemma is whether to sell the bike or keep it and come back and restore or even lofty proposition if I can ship my bike abroad. I dont have any friends or family who can keep it in a running condition and keeping an RE standing for that period means every part would need to be replaced.

Personally I dont want to sell the bike. Please share your suggestions on how I can store the bike and avoid selling it.
Old 12th May 2013, 11:05   #518
BHPian

Re: Keep my 2005 Royal Enfield 5s cast iron bike or sell it??

My suggestion - take it with you. If finances are not good now, take it after a few months. You will love running around with a Thumper exploring England's nooks and crannies. You will get parts there if you need. And everyone else will love it there.

Royal Enfield originally from England, now from India to England. Come on, shine on the reverse colonisation.
Old 12th May 2013, 11:38   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahul_2778 View Post
... keep it in a running condition and keeping an RE standing for that period means every part would need to be replaced...
What makes you think so?

I have a 7 year old (~18000kms) Electra 5s too. I don't ride it much these days. Sometimes, it is sitting for over 3 months or so. Still it hasn't broken apart. It starts 1 or 2 kicks every time. ES still work, etc. Follow the long term storage guidelines for RE (google around for tips). It will stay intact. Comeback, fill new oil, clean carb, battery etc and it will start fine. If you suspect moisture related corrosion apply a coat of anti-rust on susceptible areas and you are good.

These iron engined Enfields are not manufactured anymore... reminiscent of the classic. Keep it.

Cheers,
-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 03:51   #520
Senior - BHPian

@ rrahul_2778

If you have a dry place to store it and you do a few things, it should be in good condition when you return to India.

You would have to remove the battery and apply a if there is any signs of acid corrosion you should neutralize the area with some baking soda (Sodium hydrogen carbonate) and water mix. (Baking soda is used to make bread and biscuits rise).
Thoroughly dry the area after treating.

Remove the spark plug and pour a small spoonful of oil thru the spark plug hole. Then kick the engine over several times to distribute the oil and to coat the piston rings. Then, reinstall the spark plug.

Drain all of the fuel out of the petrol tank and the carburetor. Remove the carburetor float bowl and turn on the fuel tap to drain the fuel line too. Reinstall the float bowl.

Find a can of oil in a aerosol can and spray all of the metal parts including the spokes, the chain and rims with a heavy coating. WD40 won't work as well as a regular oil that is made for lubricating motors and chains.

When you return plan on replacing the battery, the tyres, the spark plug(s) and inner tubes and cleaning off the oily residue.
That done, it should be in good condition and ready to run.

Good luck in your new job.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 07:35   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
What makes you think so?
Hi BJ, these bikes are prone to rust and I am talking of a period of couple of years of grouding. I am not sure what effect it can have on a bike (any bike probably, not just RE).

But thanks all for the suggestions. I will follow the tips and retain the bike. I was anyways planning to; was just hoping not to mess up the bike for ever that it would be no use to me nor to anyone else.

I was looking up another thread which says that the Indian bikes wont pass the British MOT. Does anyone have any experience in that? I dont know the costs involved, but it is a damn sweet thought to ride this bike in the nice English coutryside. Is there any way the bike can be readied in India to clear the MOT?

Last edited by rrahul_2778 : 13th May 2013 at 07:37.
Old 13th May 2013, 09:57   #522
BHPian

these bikes will definitely be around for a long time to come.you could still buy one when you come back.In that case you should sell it to someone who will take good care of it.you might even be able to buy it back from him.

Or if you're too attached to your bike, the other members have given good tips for long term storage.you could also wrap it in plastic after oiling it,it'd be as good as you left it when you come back.

From personal experience,i had restored a bullet in college and used it for three years.till i had to move out for a job.I gave my bullet to relatives at my native place who asked for it enthusiastically.

when i saw it after 4 years ,i was horrified. cosmetically rusted.electrical parts changed with a home made rectifier and such. piston was seized. They kept it standing out in the weather for long periods. gradually used it lesser because "of the poor fuel efficiency".

But i think the main reason was that they got it for free!I judged poorly

but i rescued it two months ago.tooko it to the guy who restored it the last time.changed all the electricals- wiring,capacitor,rectifier.changed the oil,all cables, all springs, lubed up everything. fuel tap had to be changed. all in all i spent 4k and now i have a perfectly running bullet with a seized piston that rattles with temperature change. I have put 2500 kms on it since then.mostly as weekend 350km round trips. it starts nicely and i keep the fluids and lubrication topped up.

All this is without the elaborate precautions suggested above. oil it, seal off from air with plastic wraps = no rust = a hibernating bull!

I am attaching a pic.Excuse the rust!!
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Queries-img_20130504_175742.jpg  

Royal Enfield Queries-img_20130504_175825.jpg  

drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 10:52   #523
BHPian

If you are going to be in UK wouldn't it be better to pick a Triumph there rather than going through the Hassle of transferring the bike there.

Coming to storage, why don't you ask here if you can leave it with any of the team-bhpians. They can use and keep it in a running condition. Later if you plan to sell, they can help you or you can hold on to it if needed. Cast Iron bikes have their own following so it should not be a big problem to find someone.

Lastly if you don't want to sell or do not have anyone to store, you can leave it with me in Hyderabad ( seeing that your status shows Hyderabad). We have space to park bike in the cellar
Old 14th May 2013, 05:37   #524

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie to the world of Enfield, dont know if this was answered in some other forum. Apologies if it was (didnt find it)

I own a Feb 2013 Electra (350cc). Bull has clocked 3800 Kms as of today. First and Second service were done on time.

I have always been in the prescribed speed limits. Only after clocking 2000 Kms, I have started to ride 60-70 kmph.

Here is the problem that I have been facing SINCE THE TIME FIRST SERVICE WAS DONE.

Bike initially used to SPUTTER (Reserve Tank symptoms as if it misses a beat) on a constant throttle. Problem was quiet prominent. Service centre guys didnt know 'head or tail' about it and also in the short TRIALS they had they didnt come across the problem.
They got the Carb cleaned and the Fuel tank drained out to make sure its not an issue with water in the tank.

But to my despair the problem still persists. Have been to authorised service centre at least 6 times and they are not able to figure out anything.

Though now the issue has reduced significantly, but it does happen intermittenly and certainely does not give the best feel while out on a ride. Keeps playing at the back of my mind that there is some problem with the bull.

Below are the instances when it happens:

1) Sputtering happens for a FRACTION OF A SECOND accelerating from the speed of 40 to 60. Above 60 (60-70) there is no issue.
2) While coming downhill I leave the throttle, and race steadily to gain speed
3) I cruise slowly on 2nd gear for a while (1-2 Kms) and then try to speed up slowly.

If any one can please help figure out what the problem could be, or source me a reliable MECHANIC WHO HAS SOLVED THIS PROBLEM for someone would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Abhi...

P.S.: After 3000 Kms, I have changed spark plugs to NGK Iridium (Prescribed ones)
Old 14th May 2013, 08:27   #525
BHPian

Hi All, thanks for the suggestions. I have space to store the bike, but i wasnt sure of the processes involved to safely store it and didnt want to go thro' a full blown restoration in the future. From what all of you suggested, it is possible to store the bike 2-3 years with minimum impact.

Indian - thanks for the suggestion and offer. I used to live in Hyderabad, but over 2 years in Chennai now . Sadly I dont have any TBhp friends in the real world and not sure who I can give the bike to keep it safe

Last edited by rrahul_2778 : 14th May 2013 at 08:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks