Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2013, 20:09   #451
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoads View Post
Hi Jeroen,
Glad it helped. One more quicky here. While keeping the cable lubricated is good, why not switch to a brand new throttle cable (about Rs. 60). They DONT need to be lubricated at all. Just pick one up and keep it in your toolbox. The next time when your cable runs out, junk it and put this one!

With bulls, DIYs are the best ways ahead. Just that some silly issues like idling problems, tappet noise, slack/tight chains, small electrical problems (malfunctions in pilotlamp, indicator), ETC are issues that dont require an expert to fix while on the flipside, those AWESOME mechanics (that your DIY-hater-friends usually suggest) are waiting to make you feel miserable by making these issues look like HUGE ones with the estimates running to some hundreds if not thousands.

Cheers mate!
Happy riding!

Thanks, I've kept many cars running all by myself, but this is my first bike. Still, it's pretty basic. Need to get me some more tools that fit! None of my metric spanners fit properly. Forgot about that.

Jeroen
Old 26th February 2013, 12:48   #452

Royal Enfield Queries: Front fork issue

Hello Bikers,

I bought my first bike, C500 Desert storm last Sunday and have been completely awestruck ever since.

Its a 'Un-expressible' feeling of finally joining the RE family. Hello to all my brothers out there!

As i am obsessed with my new family member ( named Captain Storm) i started paying a lot of attention to all the parts and rubbing/polishing them to keep the bike new and spunk.

Yesterday i observed that my front fork (right side) has scrapped paint marks where its close to the mudguard. Closer observation showed that the right mudguard near the fork also has the same paint marks. I took the bike for a ride and braked hard on the front and also heard a slight sound similar to 2 metals rubbing against each other.

It appears that there is lesser than the required gap between the fork arm and the mudguard. It is not impacting the ride, the bike still goes straight and with light front braking, the problem isnt even observed. It only appears when there is big speed-braker or a sudden hard front brake is applied. Currently the only thing that is being impacted is my peace of mind.

Did anyone face a similar issue? Can you help me go about it?

Thanks in advance!
Old 1st March 2013, 15:52   #453
BHPian

Hi All,

I am finding a weird problem with my Bullet 350 UCE. The problem is with the speedo meter.

I am finding that the speedo meter needle is moving extremely slowly. E.g. If I am increasing the throttle and going from say 40 kmph to 70kmph in say 10 - 20 seconds, the speedometer is taking around 40 - 50 seconds to show the new speed.
Same is the case while slowing down. When I come to standstill from say 40 kmph, it is taking 30 - 40 seconds for the speedo needle to come to zero.

Please note that while the needle seems to have 'slowed down', the odo reading (i.e. km reading is) is moving correctly i.e. the odo appears to be working properly.

Any idea on what could be the reason? I have seen this starting yesterday. Earlier all was well. Is this something I can fix myself?

Cheers and happy thumping!
Old 1st March 2013, 18:48   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletboy76 View Post
Hi All,

I am finding a weird problem with my Bullet 350 UCE. The problem is with the speedo meter.

I am finding that the speedo meter needle is moving extremely slowly. E.g. If I am increasing the throttle and going from say 40 kmph to 70kmph in say 10 - 20 seconds, the speedometer is taking around 40 - 50 seconds to show the new speed.
Same is the case while slowing down. When I come to standstill from say 40 kmph, it is taking 30 - 40 seconds for the speedo needle to come to zero.

Please note that while the needle seems to have 'slowed down', the odo reading (i.e. km reading is) is moving correctly i.e. the odo appears to be working properly.

Any idea on what could be the reason? I have seen this starting yesterday. Earlier all was well. Is this something I can fix myself?

Unfortunatly this is not a DIY job. The innards of you spedo need an overhaul and possably a number of parts replaced.I would advise you to go to a good[reputable] meterwalla in your area.Am sure your local mechanics will guide you to one. Also get the cable checked and replaced if needed. This problem is usually caused/noticed after a shower of rain or getting your bike waterwashed/serviced and is due to ingress of water into the spedo innards.
Old 2nd March 2013, 15:42   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletboy76 View Post
Hi All,

If your bike is under warranty, try to get (speedo+odo) unit replaced with new one. Repaired units are not correctly for long time.
Old 3rd March 2013, 00:40   #456
BHPian

I have experienced the very same problem in my Unicorn. Just tighten the speedometer cablewhere it joins the speedometer housing side
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:49   #457
BHPian

I've had same issue on bullet, slow responding / needle struck at 20 which didn't want to come down. Was b'coz of two- the screws holding inner machine assy to cup at bottom wasn't tight letting it to wiggle inside & the cable was off center where it entered speedo unit both causing cable pinching.
Its simple enough for DIY, all one need is patience. cheers...

Last edited by Rennjit : 3rd March 2013 at 12:57. Reason: ;-)
Old 4th March 2013, 12:50   #458

Hi bulletboy76,
I'd +1 on Rennjit's post. This IS a simple DIY job. Check the cable and the casings. Most of this involving a simple screw/unscrew job, you can figure this out all by yourself.
If you feel the actual speedo unit is too sealed for you to open, threatening your warranty, then take it to an RE service center (listed on their website).

While I'd forbid any bulleteer from taking their rides to any local mechanic (yeah yeah.. i've seen all those "bindass" mechanics that will make your gadis "mast"), I'd also suggest start working on your rides by yourself (at least those simple repairs) while your vehicle is still under free-services. Trust me, with a bullet, it helps to have a trick or two under your sleeve.

Happy riding!
Old 5th March 2013, 11:02   #459
BHPian

Thanks for the information Ashley, Rennjit and Rhoads! It definitely helps
I will try this myself this weekend.

By the way, since today morning, I am feeling that that odometer too is running faster. Hope this problem too will go away with your recommended approach.
Let me try to open up the assembly myself and try tightening the screws.

Old 8th March 2013, 12:38   #460
BHPian

This is Which Bike?

MOD Team - I checked but do not know where to put this post as could not find similar thread. Please move if thread exists. Thanks

On way to office today I saw this Royal Enfield bike and usually I am not a bike person, I can't even ride a bike but this just blew me away. This is by far one of the most beautiful bikes I have laid my eyes on. And very immaculately kept as well. Every one was just staring at this bike. What bike is this guys?

Royal Enfield Queries-bik-1.jpg

Royal Enfield Queries-bik-2.jpg

Sorry for the quality was using the phone camera.
eq24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 12:41   #461
Senior - BHPian

Re: This is Which Bike?

That is a customized Royal Enfield.
Below the skin it can be any model Classic\Electra\Standard.
Cannot make out but engine looks like a UCE,or may be a CI\AVL,Near the kick it looks like UCE

Last edited by akshay4587 : 8th March 2013 at 12:42.
Old 8th March 2013, 12:46   #462
Senior - BHPian

Re: This is Which Bike?

It is a normal RE Bullet customized, Isn't it? From the licence plates it could be derived as a pre-1989 model.
Old 9th March 2013, 20:46   #463
BHPian

I saw the bike again today, only I was a bit far and could not catch up to him. I will surely stop him to ask next time. Is that number plate vintage applied to a new bike or is it really a vintage bike.
Old 9th March 2013, 21:54   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
I saw the bike again today, only I was a bit far and could not catch up to him. I will surely stop him to ask next time. Is that number plate vintage applied to a new bike or is it really a vintage bike.
In 1989, most of the state registration numbers moved to the new system for eg UP XX YYYY. Since the bike's number plate shows UST XXXX, we can assume its a pre 1989 bike. The battery cover and rear suspension also shows an older model ( just a hint only).

Last edited by arjithin : 9th March 2013 at 21:59.
Old 10th March 2013, 00:51   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
MOD Team - I checked but do not know where to put this post as could not find similar thread. Please move if thread exists. Thanks

On way to office today I saw this Royal Enfield bike and usually I am not a bike person, I can't even ride a bike but this just blew me away. This is by far one of the most beautiful bikes I have laid my eyes on. And very immaculately kept as well. Every one was just staring at this bike. What bike is this guys?

Sorry for the quality was using the phone camera.
Am kind of sure this is another vintage restored by Bobbee (just that the emblem on this one is different from what I had seen).
http://helmetstories.blogspot.in/201...bee-singh.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks