Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2022, 13:56   #3286
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
If I press the ES button, there is only a kirr kirr sound coming up from the motor down below.
This happened on my CL500 after I broke the sprag clutch bearing. However I could still kick start it and used it that way for almost 6 months.

Quote:
If I KS, then there are no sounds, and it's just dry kicks.
This is weird considering that your battery is charged and all electricals are working fine. Could it be water damage to the EFI unit? Have you checked the fuses?

Last edited by Roy.S : 24th July 2022 at 13:58. Reason: Adding a line about the EFI
Roy.S is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 15:18   #3287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
This happened on my CL500 after I broke the sprag clutch bearing. However I could still kick start it and used it that way for almost 6 months.
I checked what other symptoms are associated if an issue with Sprag bearing crops up, and I am sure none of the other symptoms are evident.

Quote:
This is weird considering that your battery is charged and all electricals are working fine. Could it be water damage to the EFI unit? Have you checked the fuses?
I do not have the means to check the voltage at home, but from the flare of the headlights, etc, I hope that there are no issues with the battery voltage. Moreover, if the voltage drops, the Bullet still starts via the KS, albeit with a lot of kicks. (Yes, definitely not below the minimum threshold). My last battery used to have voltage issues and hence this conclusion. Moreover, it's in running condition.

Wonder how much water ingress may have happened (if at all) since I just used a quarter bucket of soap water and then one bucket to clean up. I avoid using pressure wash as then water gets into the SparkPlug chamber.

Last edited by Majumdarda : 24th July 2022 at 15:19.
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 22:01   #3288
BHPian

Quote:
... I just used a quarter bucket of soap water and then one bucket to clean up. I avoid using pressure wash as then water gets into the SparkPlug chamber.
Can't be because of the wash, then. I think that was just a coincidence. I'm out of ideas.
I hate to ask this daft question but you're not out of fuel right?
Roy.S is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 22:16   #3289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can't be because of the wash, then. I think that was just a coincidence. I'm out of ideas.
I hate to ask this daft question but you're not out of fuel right?
Hahaha. I am guessing there should be around 5 litres. It's a BS3 engine, so there should not be the requirement of minimum quantity etc (like I heard from my BS6 guys).

I had again tried sometime back, but still no change in stance.
Old 25th July 2022, 09:44   #3290
Senior - BHPian

I had a really bad experience with a mechanic near my house. I went for replacing the handlebar of my 2016 last Classic 350. He said, the tappet noise is high and he can fix it without opening engine. Then, I received the bike and vibrations had reduced, but strong whining noise from cam gears or camshaft. I rode the motorcycle for few hundred kilometers thinking it will go. Nope. I went to the trusted old mechanic and he said the fellow replaced the cam bush and tightened it which will damage the camwheels. Now, the motorcycle runs freely but, a lesson learned. Never allow engine side work with unknown mechanic. There is still noise from the camwheels and I am going to take the bike to the same mechanic to fix it. Hope I did not have to change the camwheels.
deepclutch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 11:26   #3291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some issues have cropped up with my 2013 Bullet500.
Issue: Motorcycle not starting after home wash.
An Update:

I was checking my Bullet the other day and observed that the carburetor intake pipe had come ajar. This had happened in past as well, but then Bullet would start, albeit with a peculiar sound, which would invariably gain one's attention towards the source. Not sure what had happened this time.

Anyways, after reconnecting, my Bullet did start but then I observed that the battery voltage had dropped considerably, to such an extent that the ES is not working. My trusted mechanic has been approached to get the battery replaced under warranty from Exide.

I still wonder what was the sound for and if that sound somehow is related with the carburetor pipe, getting it ajar. Shockwaves ?
Majumdarda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 11:41   #3292
Senior - BHPian

The battery of my Bullet 500 was replaced under warranty and that resolved the starting problem. As a precautionary measure, I have also removed the USB charger since I will not be requiring that anytime soon.

The battery was replaced on the 30th July 2022, post that I have not received any further starting issues, till today! There are frequent rides on my Bullet and therefore it's not standing in one place for days at large.

This morning, as I tried the ES, I could only hear the same old cranking sound. Horn etc were working fine. I tried the KS and it came to life. After I completed my work and post-parking, I again tried the ES and it worked fine this time.

Now, from what I understand that this can happen if there is not sufficient voltage with the battery at the time of cranking. Since the battery is new, I doubt it to be an issue with the battery, again!

I asked my mechanic if the FOG lights might be the culprit, but was advised that it cannot be, though I have not used the Fog Lights post the recent replacement.

What could be the possible cause of this issue and how to have this fixed? I will try to get a multimeter to measure the voltage to be double sure, but this problem is now becoming perennial, and I want to get rid of this with a permanent solution.

Please help
Old 9th August 2022, 15:13   #3293
Senior - BHPian

Performed some basic tests to the best of my understanding and below are my observations.
  • Battery Voltage in Ignition OFF position: 11.72
  • Battery voltage when Bullet is in idling position: 11.90
  • Battery voltage when the throttle is raced: 12.38

What do you suggest? Considering the battery is pretty new, shall I go ahead with changing the rectifier?
Old 9th August 2022, 18:53   #3294
BHPian

Quote:
Performed some basic tests to the best of my understanding and below are my observations.

What do you suggest? Considering the battery is pretty new, shall I go ahead with changing the rectifier?
I suspect the magnetic coil, just increase acceleration and check the voltage to ensure the battery is being charged
Old 9th August 2022, 19:53   #3295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM_Turbo View Post
I suspect the magnetic coil, just increase acceleration and check the voltage to ensure the battery is being charged
The reading of 12.38V was observed only after considerable acceleration.
Old 9th August 2022, 22:06   #3296
BHPian

Quote:

The voltage with the throttle raced should be around 14 volts and Yes, the Regulator Rectifier unit is the place to start with.

Here is how to troubleshoot :

https://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycl...or%20rectifier.

Last edited by adrian : 9th August 2022 at 22:08. Reason: adding info
adrian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 17:12   #3297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
The voltage with the throttle raced should be around 14 volts and Yes, the Regulator Rectifier unit is the place to start with.

Here is how to troubleshoot :

https://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycl...or%20rectifier.
Update. I got a new RR unit (147098/C paying Rs1055) and had the stock one replaced with this. Even after this, with the throttle raced, the voltage could hardly cross 12.50 V. It was no where near the suggested 13.50V. I have also tried disconnecting the Ammeter, but that did not improve the situation either.

Since this did not work out, I guess the next in line to check would be the Magneto. I did refer the parts manual and had also visited the shop; helping me confuse myself.

As per the parts Manual :

Name:  Magneto.JPG
Views: 567
Size:  46.8 KB

Available at shop : (570866/C)

Name:  Magneto_Shop.JPG
Views: 560
Size:  32.2 KB

I am guessing that the part number might have changed. Can that be a possibility or I should be looking for something else?
Old 10th August 2022, 19:50   #3298
BHPian

Hi Majumdarda, I too faced similar issue while using ES on by Electra twinspark, while it started with kickstarter and other electricals worked fine. Eventually it was the battery which was down and after replacing with new one (Sonic SF) it kind of resolved the issue.

However, i also observed that if the key in the ignition slot has some play, the ES button does not work and i have to move the key in ignition slot a little to try the ES again and it works. Please do check if you have any play in ignition slot. I remember having to replace the ignition slot once for a similar issue in past.
Old 10th August 2022, 20:27   #3299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSlick View Post
Hey, Thank you for trying to assist on this. The issue is not with the ES mechanism at this moment, but with proper voltage getting generated which is required for the ES to function.

Somehow, even after connecting a new rectifier, I am not getting adequate voltage at the battery terminals, which in turn is failing the starter mechanism, though cranking sound happens.

From what I have managed to digest, the magneto gives power to the RR unit which then converts it to suitable voltage for the vehicle's consumption.

I now faintly remember that when the clutch plates were getting replaced (probably around Jan'22), the technician whom I had visited then, had observed in one of the magneto coils, a bit of dis coloration (I am not remembering now whether that was dark or light). I recollect him looking at those copper wires for some time and then asking if I face starting issues? After all these months, I do not remember how the communication went after that.

But is it now, that the once sleeping issue with thy Magneto has come back to haunt me after so many years like a Asmodeus? (mine is a 2013 Bullet 500)

And if yes, what is the spare part detail? RE Spare part shop told me that they do not have 570866/A.
Old 10th August 2022, 21:54   #3300
BHPian

Okay, I think what you are suspecting is right. The Magneto or alternator could be the culprit here.

Here's a video with similar charging issue and how it was rectified in BS3 model GT. I am not sure of the exact part number though. Will try to find out with my bike's mechanic.

SuperSlick is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks