Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2012, 22:03   #316
BHPian

Re: Enfield Queries

I have been facing battery issues with my Classic 350 and need some advice.

I bought a 2.5 month old used Classic 350 about 8 weeks ago. The bike ran fine for around 10 days but then the electric start stopped working and the battery died after a few days. I then took it to the dealer where a mechanic checked the wiring but found no issues. He then charged the battery up and returned the bike the following day. The bike then ran without any problems for about 5 days and then the electric start stopped working again and the battery started dying out. I then took the bike to the dealer on the next day and the chief mechanic decided to replace the bike under warranty and gave me a spare battery for the time being.

The bike again ran for a few days but the electric start started giving problems once again. At this point I decided to stop using the electric start. This prevented the battery from dying out but I noticed something new. At night the horn wouldn't work if the headlights were switched on. This made me think that the wiring to the headlamp may be faulty but when I discussed this with the mechanic, he said that this was because of the quality of the spare battery and that the problem would go away after I got the replacement battery.

The battery finally arrived today and was put into the bike. But on reaching home when I went through the delivery note for the battery, I realized that the battery was not a new one but the same one I had earlier. Exide didn't find any issued with my battery, so they returned it. The bike is running ok right now but I fear that the problems would return soon.

I have noticed something else today. While riding with the headlamps, the ammeter stays negative at low rpm and comes to zero at high rpm but never goes into positive. Is this normal for Classic 350s? The reason I ask this is because, I use to ride my bike only at night during the first 3 weeks of my ownership and so the battery was never getting charged and it kept dying. However, if this isn't normal then there is probably some problem with the electricals. Please advice.
Old 2nd August 2012, 15:49   #317
Senior - BHPian

Posting on behalf of a friend.

His Classic 350's fuse box and wiring were damaged by a rat and he got it replaced at an RE A.S.S.
Here is a pic of the new wiring & fuse box which show cuts in the wiring. The question is whether this is a shoddy job or have they not replaced the wiring at all?
Also, he says the new fuse box looks different from the old and doubts its authenticity. Please help identify if this is a genuine OE part or a fake one.
I can get more pics from different angles if needed. He is planning to visit the service center but wanted some expert opinion to strengthen his case.

Royal Enfield Queries-img_20120802_110316.jpg
Royal Enfield Queries-img_20120802_110334.jpg
Old 2nd August 2012, 21:08   #318
BHPian

@jaguar : The TCI unit is the same as installed in my standard 350. But it looks like they have taken a short cut of the installation process. Instead of changing the whole wiring harness, they rejoined the existing wiring and installed it. Being RE service..it doesn't surprise me.
Your friend should insist on changing the whole wiring harness as joints in the wiring may lead to short circuits and loss of voltage and hence not desirable.
regards adrian
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 21:41   #319
BHPian

royal enfield is not obliged to give warranty to the second owner. manufacturers warranty applies only to first owner.
so, you may have to pay for any replacement. now that changes a few things right?
Old 6th August 2012, 17:34   #320
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I have a Machismo A350, 2001 model. I am in the processing of changing shocks and wanted to grease the swing arm, but could not remove it. Seems like the shaft is stuck, I removed nuts on either sides and hammered, but did not budg
Was wondering if anyone would have a picture of disassembled parts? Am I doing the right thing by hammering it or is there a specific process to disassembly? Your comments will be valuable. I started to repair my bike by myself.
Thanks in advance.
Old 6th August 2012, 19:59   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBerry View Post
Hi Guys,
I have a Machismo A350, 2001 model. I am in the processing of changing shocks and wanted to grease the swing arm, but could not remove it. Seems like the shaft is stuck, I removed nuts on either sides and hammered, but did not budg
Was wondering if anyone would have a picture of disassembled parts? Am I doing the right thing by hammering it or is there a specific process to disassembly? Your comments will be valuable. I started to repair my bike by myself.
Thanks in advance.
I had sent you a webpage in PM, showing disassembled parts. After removing the nuts also remove bushes and pull out the stud.
Old 6th August 2012, 20:41   #322
BHPian

Quote:
.... I am in the processing of changing shocks and wanted to grease the swing arm, but could not remove it. ...
Does them bushes need lube? I thought those bonded rubber ones needed no lube, so never bothered for past couple of years.
Time to seek help!
Old 7th August 2012, 22:47   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
I had sent you a webpage in PM, showing disassembled parts. After removing the nuts also remove bushes and pull out the stud.
Alok:
Thanks for webpage,
Not clear on the "remove bushes" part.
Bushes are inserted on the swing arm, correct?
In that case, we must first remove nuts, then washers and pull out the spindle or stud, which would detach the swing arm, and bushes are mounted on swing arm. Is my understanding correct?
Old 8th August 2012, 00:59   #324
BHPian

@ All Bullet gurus out there - I have a 1996 Std 350 at home hibernating for the past 2 years, I have a sudden urge and yearning to fix it and start riding it. Could you please suggest me the things I should ask the mechanic to check before changing oil, battery etc., and start riding it.

What are the things to look at while servicing a dormant 2 year old RE Std. 350 ?

Suggestions, help needed
Old 8th August 2012, 14:09   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post
@ All Bullet gurus out there - I have a 1996 Std 350 at home hibernating for the past 2 years, I have a sudden urge and yearning to fix it and start riding it. Could you please suggest me the things I should ask the mechanic to check before changing oil, battery etc., and start riding it.

What are the things to look at while servicing a dormant 2 year old RE Std. 350 ?

Suggestions, help needed
A very good question, what i would suggest you to do is take it to a good mechanic and asking him to make it rideable for you thats about it. if you have any technical bent then you can learn from him, if not then just look watch and try to learn and let him do his JOB. and i am sure the bike will need a basic engine oil and clutch oil change, if need the mechanic would be able to anylise if the gears need re lubrication and thats about it.
Old 8th August 2012, 14:14   #326
Senior - BHPian

Adding to what desideep said:-

- Battery check
- Oil change
- Check lube/grease in gear box
- Carb cleaning.

But to be very honest, this bike with an oil service should start like an angel and drive like a beast.

You can find issues only after riding it for few days.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 14:56   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Not clear on the "remove bushes" part.
Bushes are inserted on the swing arm, correct?
In that case, we must first remove nuts, then washers and pull out the spindle or stud, which would detach the swing arm, and bushes are mounted on swing arm. Is my understanding correct?
Yes GreyBerry
After opening nuts and washer, stud should come out by applying a little force.
Stuck of stud is surprising. Check if it stuck with bushes by rust?

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
But to be very honest, this bike with an oil service should start like an angel and drive like a beast.
You can find issues only after riding it for few days.

+ a charged battery is must required and also check Petrol Tank for rust.
Old 12th August 2012, 11:59   #328
BHPian

Quote:

Suggestions, help needed
Check electricals, insulation of wires hardens and peels of if the bike is kept exposed to elements.May result in a short circuit while riding in rains or after a wash.
Check rubber hoses for cracks and replace front fork oil if front suspension seems to tight or too bouncy.
Sure shot way to check this is take the bike of the stand, engage the front brake so that wheel locks and apply force downwards on the handle, similar to mimicking conditions that involve sudden breaking.
Replace kick starter spring as well.
Old 16th August 2012, 19:59   #329
BHPian

Guys, I own a 78 Bull. It's been giving lots of vibes recently. Took it to my mech in Pune, he said crank bearing (including the bushes... Am I correct???) are worn out and have to be replaced. Asked him about the cost and he quoted 15K. Is this 'gentleman' trying to rip me off??? How much does such replacements cost???
Old 16th August 2012, 22:53   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac

Suggestions, help needed
A lot of old timers here have replied.I recently got my 98 model bull out of storage.changed wiring. Cables.filters. oils .chain lube .battery charged. Check all nuts and bolts.!!
The bike runs like a dream.

I would advise you not to start the bike, but tow it to a good mechanic!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks