Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2021, 20:47   #3241
BANNED

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
I noticed a small wobble in the clutch basket.
Remove the Clutch and inspect for play in Inner Hub, next comes the outer hub on which the clutch plates reside, it has a kinda bearing that needs to be inspected.

First you'd have to take tension off the Primary Chain by loosening the spring loaded pad. Once it's loose get the chain off the clutch, let the magneto side remain, then comes the 3 Bolts, take them off like you would any spring loaded bolt, evenly in a Criss-cross pattern.

Inside there's a Pushrod and a Ball, make sure not to loose the Ball, put some grease so that it stays put.

Now do inspect the parts mentions earlier, once you do you'd find the answer you seek.

I'm totally clueless about CI Bullets, I simply translated the above from a friend and fellow enthusiast who is a hardcore Bulleteer and coincidentally works for the company that makes them.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 23:32   #3242
BHPian

Hi all,

I'm facing a charging related issue with my RE Classic 350. The motorcycle is almost 9 years old and has clocked just 15,000 kms.

These days the motorcycle starts after giving a lot of kick,and,when it does start the engine doesn't roar but purrs meekly before achieving normal rpm. After that, when I accelerate it in neutral, the ammeter pointer sways a lot to the right side indicating that the battery is low on charge.However, once driven hard for around 15-20 kms. the pointer gets centered.

I admit I don't ride frequently but whenever I ride once or twice a week, I ride hard for well over 20 kms.The battery should not be losing charge within a span of just few days especially when it is almost brand new. The horn sound loud and motorcycle starts easily with Electric Start. The fuses are also fine.

I also checked with a random mechanic who asked me to change the alternator without even inspecting the bike. I have ignored him for now.

Kindly help me with this problem.I own a multimeter but don't know how to use it in this case. On the sidelines, rubber flange of carburetor is also cracked and making a hissing noise.Does it have any bearing on charging?

Regards.
Old 4th October 2021, 09:29   #3243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape velocity View Post
I own a multimeter but don't know how to use it in this case.
I think checking the battery health with a multimeter should be your first step. This thread has the exact steps (with pictures) on how to do this: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...g-systems.html (Understanding & troubleshooting Motorcycle Charging Systems)

Quote:
On the sidelines, rubber flange of carburetor is also cracked and making a hissing noise.Does it have any bearing on charging?
I assume you are referring to the rubber adapter connecting the carb to the engine. Although it shouldn't directly affect the bike's charging system, if you can hear hissing from the cracks then it should be changed.

Quote:
These days the motorcycle starts after giving a lot of kick...
Does it start easily if you apply choke?
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 01:04   #3244
BHPian

Dear all,
I gave my 2009 TBTS for service today. It has only run around 19k kms.

3 issues reported by the service engineer has put doubts in my mind.

1. COVER PLATE ASSY: apparently this is related to rear brakes. And due to apparent wrong assembly of rear brake pads last time, it has developed a bend. I did have the rear brake pad replaced last time from another authorised service centre. Also, this plate assy comes with brake pads and they have install both.. Is this a valid statement?

2. Chain wear was uneven and has to be replaced. This is first time the chain is getting replaced. Is it valid condition for a replacement?

3. Drain bolt thread is apparently stripped: This was already an old issue and I had got oversized threading done since one local mechanic had screwed it up. Under what condition could this get stripped again? He warned that I can't leave it as is due to danger of oil leaking. I don't know what he has done to fix it. But he has taken bike to a lathe and got some adapter welded. Is this a genuine possibility?

I did report loss of top speed (bike wouldn't exceed 90kmph) and he suspected it could be due to clutch issue (still running on original) or carburettor (replaced recently). Maybe there is no issue with either and I am saved some money ��

Incl oil change, engine buffing and polishing, the service cost is coming to total of around Rs.6500/-

Should I be worried about any of these charges and challenge the service engineer on any of these points?

I gave the bike to company service center in BTM layout, Bangalore. I will be collecting the bike tomorrow.

Last edited by rich_heart : 24th October 2021 at 01:15. Reason: Added more details
Old 19th January 2022, 13:02   #3245
BHPian

Strange Problems on a 2002 Electra (27,000kms)

After riding 15-20kms and parking the cycle for 5-6 hours, it would refuse to start. If at all it starts, it would stutter and die.
I assumed the float pin stuck open so cleaned the bowl and float pin and it starts fine.
Next week, again after a ride of 19kms, parked it for 4 hours and it refused to rev. Idling was okay but even a gentle twist of the throttle would make it stutter and stop. Opened the float bowl again and found everything okay.
Showed it to the ASS and they are also confused now. Another peculiarity is that it would stop if the Choke is pulled. Without Choke, everything runs fine.
Assuming it to be a carb cleaning issue - they took the whole thing apart and cleaned it but still problem persisted. They changed to a new carburetor (this thing comes equipped with a Mikarb VM24) but no success.
Rectifier/Regulator and Condenser were changed 9 months back so they should be fine.
Now they assume problem is with the Magnetic coil. They do not have a spare so waiting for the order to arrive.

Any clues on what should be the exact problem?
Old 19th January 2022, 14:14   #3246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Strange Problems on a 2002 Electra (27,000kms)

Any clues on what should be the exact problem?
Since we both have the exact same model, let me try to help with some suggestions.

-Check the air filter to resonator box and resonator box to carb rubber hoses for cuts.
-Check the condition of the plug
-There are two coils , ignition coil is under the tank and will make a difference in pick up, if replaced. The 'pick up' coil is in the clutch case and mostly shouldn't be faulty. I feel in both cases, starting will be an issue if any of these are faulty.
-Replace the CDI unit.

The carb on this bike unless fiddled with, shouldn't cause an issue. My guess is either the rubber hoses or the CDI unit.

I ended up replacing the stator, ignition coil, spark plug and ignition key set for the intermittent starting issue on my bike and finally it was the CDI unit that was the culprit. However, in changing all those parts, the engine pick up increased and runs smoother now.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 16:25   #3247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Since we both have the exact same model, let me try to help with some suggestions.
The Air Filter to Resonator pipe is in good condition.
Plug is also good to go.
With regards to the CDI unit, I also had a faint doubt but left it to the ASS. After changing the magnetic coil, if the problem persists, shall replace the CDI as well as the Pulsar coil below the tank.
Will give an update soon.
Old 28th January 2022, 10:29   #3248
BHPian

Update on the Sputtering problem:
After changing the magnetic coil, the problem is not yet sorted. Engine stalls moment the Choke is pulled.
They also adjusted the decompressor cable thinking it might be leaking somewhere (I doubted that)
Told him to change the CDI and see today. Fingers crossed
Old 28th January 2022, 11:46   #3249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Update on the Sputtering problem:
After changing the magnetic coil, the problem is not yet sorted. Engine stalls moment the Choke is pulled.
They also adjusted the decompressor cable thinking it might be leaking somewhere (I doubted that)
Told him to change the CDI and see today. Fingers crossed
I use the choke only if required which is very rarely, to fire the engine in the morning if it doesn't start in five or more kicks.
As far as I know and on my bike, applying the choke after the engine has fired up, will stall the engine. So on a cold engine, if I use the choke to fire up the engine, it is 'on' only for few seconds after which the engine will die if I don't close it.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 13:28   #3250
BHPian

Hi guys, I'm looking for decent mechanic in South Delhi for the RE Interceptor, regular small jobs. Any suggestions? A bit at sea here, having got a bike after a gap of 17 years
Old 31st January 2022, 13:55   #3251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry can View Post
Hi guys, I'm looking for decent mechanic in South Delhi for the RE Interceptor, regular small jobs. Any suggestions? A bit at sea here, having got a bike after a gap of 17 years
Chotu. World famous. Near Bikaner House his workshop is (used to be).

Name:  tF1060034.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  107.1 KB

Name:  tF1060036.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  173.6 KB

Cheers. Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 31st January 2022 at 13:57.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 16:03   #3252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Chotu. World famous. Near Bikaner House his workshop is (used to be).

Attachment 2267115

Attachment 2267116

Cheers. Doc
Wow, thanks! I'm going to try locate him.
Cheers!
Old 31st January 2022, 16:13   #3253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry can View Post
Wow, thanks! I'm going to try locate him.
Cheers!
Sorry his name is Pappu mechanic.

9811375839. Tell him Poona ke Bullet 500 waale doctor. Jinke chakke toot gaye the. Show him the photos.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 31st January 2022 at 16:15.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 19:20   #3254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Sorry his name is Pappu mechanic.

9811375839. Tell him Poona ke Bullet 500 waale doctor. Jinke chakke toot gaye the. Show him the photos.

Cheers, Doc
Haha.. Okay Doc! Thanks a ton.
jerry can is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 23:09   #3255
Distinguished - BHPian

1984 Bullet 350cc

Royal Enfield Queries-cylhead.jpeg

A friend needs OEM cylinder head for 1984 Bullet 350cc bike and been struggling to get one. FNG in Bangalore says he placed an order with RE but there is no date of delivery and he has already waited for more than 2 months.

Any helpful info is appreciated, only looking for OEM part. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks