Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2020, 16:25   #3151
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Guys,
Posting this query on behalf of my friend. He came across couple of 2018 RE standard 500 which are in good condition and low mileage below 10k.
He is interested in vintage looks and wants to know
Even I am looking for a Standard 500, obviously used one as it has been discontinued now. My query is can we expect availability of parts, specially engine parts for 500 cc, 10-12 years down the line from now? In Delhi a few are quoting around 1-1.10 lakhs for 2015-16 models with less mileage (about 15-16000 kms), first owners. My main attraction is that extra power & torque, seating and handlebar ergonomics and real retro looks. last two things I can get in BSVI 350 ES too, but the first point is forcing to consider used ones!

Purpose will be relaxed cursing and touring too. Speed is not my need, I will be happy with cruising at 75-80 kmps speed all day long but it should be comfortable for my back. Thunderbird like foot pags position is not comfortable for me. Only standard bullet 350 or 500 type.

Thoughts and suggestions are requested please.

Thanks
LongDrive lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 18:12   #3152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Even I am looking for a Standard 500, obviously used one as it has been discontinued now. My query is can we expect availability of parts, specially engine parts for 500 cc, 10-12 years down the line from now? In Delhi a few are quoting around 1-1.10 lakhs for 2015-16 models with less mileage (about 15-16000 kms), first owners. My main attraction is that extra power & torque, seating and handlebar ergonomics and real retro looks. last two things I can get in BSVI 350 ES too, but the first point is forcing to consider used ones!

Purpose will be relaxed cursing and touring too. Speed is not my need, I will be happy with cruising at 75-80 kmps speed all day long but it should be comfortable for my back. Thunderbird like foot pags position is not comfortable for me. Only standard bullet 350 or 500 type.

Thoughts and suggestions are requested please.

Thanks
If you are keen on RE only, do wait for Meteor 350. Launch got delayed due to the Covid hitting TN plants and eventually it should hit showrooms before festival time.

For 75-80kmph, 350cc would be just fine(except for the vibrations) - assuming they mainly address vibrations with their new platform and the vehicle should cruise comfortably between 70-80kmph.

My friend too was in similar boat as yours but is not happy with the price quoted for 500s in used market. He is hoping for a correction once meteor 350 gets launched. Other option i have recommended(in retro classic theme) is to check out the Jawa models, comes with similar torque without any of the vibrations.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 19:34   #3153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheWanderer View Post
It looks like a bit sulfation to me - experts please correct me if I'm mistaken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
The battery looks to be a sealed battery so there is no way of checking the electrolyte or adding water to replace any that has been lost due to the crack.
The only fix for the this problem is to replace the battery.

Thanks alot for the detailed responses!
As you might have guessed, usage of the bike is very low currently.
If I continue to use it in this condition for say 1-2 more months, what are the harms am I looking at?
Since its rarely being used and needs much work to be done on it, maybe I can hold off the expense for a few more days?
Old 13th August 2020, 22:17   #3154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMonk View Post
Thanks alot for the detailed responses!
As you might have guessed, usage of the bike is very low currently.
If I continue to use it in this condition for say 1-2 more months, what are the harms am I looking at?
Since its rarely being used and needs much work to be done on it, maybe I can hold off the expense for a few more days?
Because the battery is a sealed type, it is impossible to know how much of its electrolyte has been lost but I suspect it is very little.

As long as the battery has enough electrolyte in it, it should continue to work.
The problem is, the battery will continue to leak unless something is done to stop it.

I suggest that the battery be given a good washing with plain water mixed with a few drops of dish-washing soap to remove any dirt, oil or acid that may be on the outside.

After making sure the surface is totally dry, apply a thin but continuous coating of RTV Silicone rubber to the area where the crack exists. ( RTV stands for Room Temperature Vulcanizing or hardening. It usually is not printed on the label so just look for Silicone Rubber on the tube it comes in. Just look for the inexpensive kind that is made for sealing fish tanks and similar things.)
Spreading the RTV, it can be messy so you might want to wear rubber gloves and use something with a straight edge on it like a short ruler or a stiff piece of plastic (old credit card?) to spread it out into a (somewhat) smooth layer about 0.5 to 1 mm thick. Allow the silicone rubber to fully cure and then reassemble the battery into the vehicle.

As I said, I don't know how long the battery will last but it shouldn't die real soon.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 13th August 2020 at 22:19.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 11:35   #3155
BHPian

Can anyone pl. tell among new (BSVI) RE Classic 350 vs Bullet 350 (ES or KS/standard), which one has:

1. lesser vibrations at moderate speeds like 70 -75 kmph?
2. better suspensions for comfort for lower back on bad roads and potholes?

Is there any difference or all three are same in these aspects!
Old 14th August 2020, 12:15   #3156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourabH007 View Post
]
It was all good at the time of delivery, but now some yellow colour tinge is forming on the exhaust pipe.
Is it some quality issue or something is wrong in the bike? Kindly suggest.
Normal for RE motorcycles, nothing to worry about. In fact, the Owner's Manual of my Himalayan even mentions it.
Old 5th September 2020, 11:46   #3157
BHPian

Hello all, i am restoring my 1975 Enfield 350 to putter around the canals here in Uttarakhand becasue my other Amercan and British Twin attract lots of attention. Stripped the engine have some questions.

The piston and connecting rod look good. What are the options in India for a good quality piston and rings , Steel connecting rod ?

Are the oem valve guides and floating bush good? Is it better to use phosphor bronze instead, do we get them in the market or shall i get them cut in the lathe?

It has pathetic big end bearings, i may use needle bearings of Timken or SKF Japan.

Only changes are upgrading brakes to disc and 500 cc oil pump and clutch assembly.

The Indian oem carb has a 90 main jet , any options for a better carb with bigger jets and chamber like Amal ?

I know best route is to Import from England but i heard customs are not clearing personal metal parcels and i may not travel anytime soon due to covid issues.

Does Carberry sell better quality internals in India?
Old 30th September 2020, 13:06   #3158
BHPian

Hello RE Owners! I own a RE Thunderbird 350x (BS-IV) which I purchased in Aug 2019. The bike has done about 4.2k kilometers till now. I got it serviced 4 days back and went on a short ride in the morning today. While idling and also while opening the throttle, I could hear a tik-tik sound coming out of the engine. It was quite annoying and I could hear it even from inside of a full-face helmet with visor shut. I immediately took it to the service center (CVS Motors Horamavu, Bengaluru) and they said it's normal in RE bikes and happens when the engine gets heated and just told me to ride without worries. I came back, not very convinced and did such lookup in the internet. A lot of users mentioned the same problem and apparently its the tappet sound.

Could you guys let me know how to confirm its a tappet sound? If its a tappet sound, can it be addressed? I read that the tappets are now hydraulic and are self-adjusting to avoid wear and tear of the engine. Should I be worried?

Last edited by manson : 30th September 2020 at 13:49. Reason: Typo.
meetarin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 14:37   #3159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetarin View Post
...While idling and also while opening the throttle, I could hear a tik-tik sound coming out of the engine. It was quite annoying....
Don't worry too much about this noise. It tends to start after a few thousand km of riding and gets on your nerves. The best thing to do is to learn to ignore it as I eventually did.
IIRC this is called cam backlash and there are many videos on how to get rid of it. Problem is that they all involve opening up various components and this is something you should avoid especially on REs.
The key to enjoying a RE is to be completely unflappable. If things haven't fallen off and the bike is moving in a generally forward direction, its all good.

Last edited by Roy.S : 30th September 2020 at 14:41.
Roy.S is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 13:09   #3160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Can anyone pl. tell for comfort for lower back on bad roads and potholes?

Is there any difference or all three are same in these aspects!
Honestly the BS6 Variants are way way smoother than the previous versions.

Classic 350 Pros
Higher resale value
Better looks
Crazy fan following
Better handling in city and on curves
Better rubber - pattern and width

Classic 350 cons

I experienced back pain, thanks to that horrible spring seat for the rider
That spring loses firmness within a year
Not that comfortable for pillion - too small seat
Back rest won't gel with the bike looks
Not for tall people

Bullet ES (old Electra replacement) pros

Same engine as CL350
Better seat (old Electra seat carried over)
Any backrest added just increases comfort and looks good too
Taller handle - superb comfort for long rides
Tank design is from standard era
Vibrations are less felt as the handle is longer.

Cons
Absolutely stupid rear tyre (size and design)
A strict sub 50kmph bike for curves
Lesser resale value
Rear mudguard Design is functional but looks sort of odd
SS80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 20:07   #3161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Don't worry too much about this noise. It tends to start after a few thousand km of riding and gets on your nerves. The best thing to do is to learn to ignore it as I eventually did.
Hello! I just finished a ride from Bangalore to Kolkata yesterday and have made peace with the sound. However, my bike stalled at Dowleswaram barrage, Rajahmundry due to air lock for 2 hours amidst nature's fury. Apart from that, the entire trip was fine!
meetarin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 22:14   #3162
BHPian

Hello RE owners! Need some advice here. I just finished a ride yesterday from Bangalore to Kolkata on my Thunderbird 350x (Aug 2019 purchase). The bike was serviced at 4200 kms two weeks ago before I started the trip. At 5200+ kms, I was stuck at a place amidst very heavy rain. When I resumed, the bike stalled after moving 500 meters. I had filled up my tank just about 30 kms before. I contacted the RSA guys who came after 2 hours and surprisingly the bike started fine. They checked everything and said it was all fine and it happened because the engine overheated. They recommended that I ride for 1 hour and take a break of 30 mins which sounded very weird to me!

Anyway, I started my ride again, was stuck in the heavy rain again and the same thing repeated after about an hour or so. I somehow managed to reach my hotel by choke starting the bike and contacted the RSA guys. Two new mechanics came, checked and said it happened due to Air Lock and recommended I should not top up the fuel upto full tank. (On long rides, I generally fill up the tank full and never faced this issue.) They also advised that I ride on reserve (again, a bummer) and top up fuel when the reserve finishes. I was told, if such problem occurs again, I need to put the bike on side stand, open the tank lid for a minute or so and then start on choke.

Fortunately, for the rest of the journey, I didn't face any issue and rode home safely. Could anyone guide me what went wrong?
Old 6th October 2020, 23:32   #3163
BANNED

Quote:
Fortunately, for the rest of the journey, I didn't face any issue and rode home safely. Could anyone guide me what went wrong?
Vapor Lock usually happens when you ride the motorcycle on a hot day or if the motorcycle was left parked under the sun for long.

As for your issue, since it's prominent when it rains I'd say it's safe to suspect the side stand switch, I believe new RE's come with it.

Next time this happens have a look at it. I'm not sure how it's wired but since it's a switch it either works when there's continuity or not.

Unplug the connector and see if it runs fine, if not short the connector and see if it runs fine.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 23:52   #3164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Vapor Lock usually happens when you ride the motorcycle on a hot day or if the motorcycle was left parked under the sun for long.

As for your issue, since it's prominent when it rains I'd say it's safe to suspect the side stand switch, I believe new RE's come with it.

Next time this happens have a look at it. I'm not sure how it's wired but since it's a switch it either works when there's continuity or not.

Unplug the connector and see if it runs fine, if not short the connector and see if it runs fine.
Hi Ashwin, mine is a BS4. Do you still think it could be the side stand switch? I have tried moving the bike on gear with side stand down. Does this indicate there's no side stand switch? Sorry for my ignorance, I am still new to Enfields.
Old 7th October 2020, 00:56   #3165
BANNED

Quote:
Hi Ashwin, mine is a BS4. Do you still think it could be the side stand switch? I have tried moving the bike on gear with side stand down. Does this indicate there's no side stand switch? Sorry for my ignorance, I am still new to Enfields.
No clue about model specific details.

If it's working as intended then engine would stall when the engine is in gear and the stand is down.

You could take a flashlight and look behind the side stand bracket that's where it'd be if you have the switch.

If you do not have a side stand switch then you need to check if only the engine stalls and everything else works on the motorcycle, if so then the ignition key unit is not at fault if otherwise you'd need to look into your switch.

Now assuming the ignition switch is working, next in line is to check for spark, you'd not have spark if my assumption is right cause the other causes aren't plausible on a new Motorcycle.

So next you need to have a look at your Pulser/Pick-up Coil line, if there is lack of continuity or if the line shorts to ground then it'd cause the motorcycle to stall.

That's my bet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks