Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2019, 13:40   #3076
BANNED

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Is it advisable to use a tyre puncture sealant and mainly, does it actually work?
It depends on usage.

Personally, it's a waste of time and money, and I say this cause I've rebuilt a spoked wheel.

Though novelty users might swear by them, I'd simply advise you to ignore them, unless they have clocked a 100k to prove otherwise.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 15:00   #3077
BHPian

Quote:
Is it advisable to use a tyre puncture sealant and mainly, does it actually work?

I am thinking of trying it out on my Electra which has tubed tyres, for an upcoming long trip. Is there a good brand as well, I saw quite a few on Amazon.
well, if the pierce is rather small then perhaps the sealants can help but then there's no other real option either so I'd say that we use it and carry a spare tube which would be needed in case the sealant doesn't work and puncture messes up the tube. Additionally, I avoid road shoulders on highways especially near towns. Rest is all luck.

I use 'Seelin' sealant for my Electra & Bonnie.
wangdu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 15:18   #3078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My erstwhile 2008 Honda Unicorn had what was called a "tuff up tube" at the rear. I understood it to be a sealant filled in the tube.

A huge nail once drove itself into the rear tyre and the sealant let me ride on for another 20 Km to a mechanic. There was some air loss but the sealant seemed to have helped as per the mechanic. That's all I know and remember of sealants.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 20:36   #3079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Though novelty users might swear by them, I'd simply advise you to ignore them, unless they have clocked a 100k...
But if you're like me and are not comfortable with removing the wheel to fix a puncture could this get you to the nearest tyre shop? Worst case you might have to throw out the tube which might be worth it if you are in a remote area. I ride a classic 500 and can get the rear wheel off in an emergency but am not comfortable removing the front because of the disc. As of now I have put my faith in a can of Motul puncture repair and am hoping I won't need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
I use 'Seelin' sealant for my Electra & Bonnie.
Does it affect the high speed ride?
Roy.S is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 21:02   #3080
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
But if you're like me and are not comfortable with removing the wheel.....
The reason I'm wary of such products is because it basically is a hit or miss trial, and most if not all the time the rider would be depending on it to save them and would ignore even considering contingency options.

Reason for this being a hit or miss is because the tube is made of a thinner layer of rubber and though the slime promises to delay air leakage, the chance of that happening is slim simply considering how it works.

Anyhow, that's your call.

If it helps, do note that you can ride the motorcycle with a flat tyre at slower speeds. The downside being you'd be ripping the tube to shreds. But I'm presuming you'd be carrying a spare tube or two as a precautionary measure, so that's not going to be an issue.

BTW that is how I manage a puncture if I'm too lazy to replace the tube, which is most of the time.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 21:48   #3081
Distinguished - BHPian

Based on the comments made on several web sites, almost all of the people who have tried using "Slime" tube sealant say it isn't worth the money or the trouble of getting it into the tube or tire.

I say "tube or tire" because Slime comes in two different types. One for tubes and one for tubeless tires.

As for my method of reducing problems with getting tire punctures, whenever it is possible I try to ride in the tracks on the roadway where the car and truck tires roll. In other words, I don't ride down the center of the lane or towards the center or edge of the roadway.

I figure, if there are any nails or other sharp objects laying on the road, there is a good chance that they will already have become stuck in some cars tire that rolled down those 2 narrow areas in the path before I got there so in effect, the cars that went before me have "swept" up the hazards.

I don't know that using this method has really helped but in over 50 years of riding behind me, I can count the number of tire flats I've had on one hand.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 20th November 2019 at 21:54.
ArizonaJim is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 13:32   #3082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Does it affect the high speed ride?
This Q is 'Not Applicable' to Electra

No adverse effects on Bonnie; even with obtuse/reflex angled speedo needle (keeping usual PSI level)

Last edited by wangdu : 21st November 2019 at 13:33. Reason: typo
wangdu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 16:47   #3083
Senior - BHPian

Any tyre brand suggestions for Standard 350?
I had a CEAT before and about to change it. I am thinking of going with MRF MOGRIP model.Costs 2500/-

Any suggestions welcome.
Old 26th November 2019, 00:32   #3084
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Any suggestions welcome.
A little hard to source, but if you can get the Ralco Speedblaster then it'd be awesome!

During the GQ ride my co-rider had the Speedblaster on and the grip was commendable, I have been trying to source one for a ZMA but tough luck so far.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 22:20   #3085
BHPian

Hi guys, I'm new here so vanakam to all.

About that 14AH battery thing, I suggest every RE 350 rider to get it replaced with a 9AH maintenance free VRLA one, if you are going to. Weight gets reduced by 2 KG, straight away. I did that like a week back and its running just fine.

Mine is a 2013 Classic 350 BSiii. No accessories, Stock Model. The self works just great. Horn too.

Engine won't die if you have the main halogen headlamp, all four conventional bulb indicators on and using the horn (I have only one installed) at the same time. Never tried to use the self start in that condition though. Also, first start, low fuel start, let those be the kick ones. Mine roars with just one try. Even though the self start will still not disappoint you at all.

I use TATA Green 9AH maintenance feee premium VRLA, costs around INR 1700/-. 2yrs replacement and 2 yrs prorata warranty. The size is just perfect, similar to 14AH in terms of breadth and length, height doesn't matter.

Caution- Use the rubber buckles to hold the battery in place for sure.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, THE 14AH HAS THE TERMINALS INSIDE, WHILE 9AH HAS'EM OUTSIDE.

It didn't cause much hassle to fit. Before installing check for short circuits.

Beware of battery thieves, I use a fastener to keep it safe.

Lovely Learning.

MechPrasad

Last edited by BlackPearl : 3rd December 2019 at 22:34. Reason: Fixed the formatting of the post
MechPrasad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 08:07   #3086
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechPrasad View Post
Hi guys, I'm new here so vanakam to all.

About that 14AH battery thing, I suggest every RE 350 rider to get it replaced with a 9AH maintenance free VRLA one, if you are going to. Weight gets reduced by 2 KG, straight away. I did that like a week back and its running just fine.
Vanakkam ! Doesn't RE350 the stock battery itself come with 9aH rating? I thought only B500 and TB500 comes with higher rating.
Old 4th December 2019, 08:55   #3087
BHPian

Hi KPR,

Its the BSiv that's equipped with an 8AH vrla battery offered by Amaron mostly.

Prior to that, we had a 14AH lead acid battery even in the 350 classic UCE.

As the battery dimensions are different, if you flip to a 9 AH, you have gotta replace the battery compartment and cover as well, it costs around 700/- in hyd (after market) and original some 2400/-.

ADDITIONALLY, DO INFORM THE BATTERY RETAILER THAT YOU ARE SWAPPING A 14AH WITH a 9AH ONE, FOR A HASSLE FREE WARRANTY SERVICE. IF YOU DON'T TELL THEM NOW, NEVER DO IN FUTURE.

During claim they might ask you to bring the bike for some electrical checks.

Lovel yLearning

MANY AMARAON PIT STOPS DENIED TO OFFER THE WARRANTY, SO I HAD TO FIND ONE GOOD PERSON.

Lovely Learning

MechPrasad
MechPrasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 14:45   #3088
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone heard about RE's plans for their upcoming 650cc bike that is tentatively called "Meteor"? (Reference: https://www.zigwheels.com/newbikes/Royal-Enfield/meteor)

If it was really intended to be launched in January 2020, now would be the time to start bookings. But I'm not seeing any official word on it yet...
Old 5th December 2019, 14:58   #3089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Any tyre brand suggestions for Standard 350?
I had a CEAT before
You could check the following -

1) MRF Zapper
2) Ceat ZOOM
3) Ceat GrippXL
4) Ralco

Last edited by freak : 5th December 2019 at 14:58. Reason: Removed additional spaces
freak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 22:20   #3090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikvkv View Post
Oops. I have to Correct you mate. The bikes manual says bike requires 14 ah batteries. The batteries you have listed is 9ah wouldn't that be underpowered.

Nope bro, you amy use a 9AH vrla mf battery, it does the job pretty good. The RETB has an led lamp so it would do even better.

I am using it on a 55w halogen lamp fitted classic 350 which previously was equipped with a 14 AH lead acid battery.

The 9AH is 2 KG lighter comparatively.

Most Viewed