Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2019, 01:55   #3061
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with Arizona Jim on not using any flushing fluids other than what is supposed to be in there, especially when it comes to engine oil.

I have often voiced my opinion on what kinds of oil to use; go with whatever meets the manufacturer specification. All the various claims of the various oil manufacturers are unlikely to make a noticeable difference as long as you stick to the correct specification and oil changes. Make sure to replace the filter. Spend your money on getting the best filter money can buy! An inferior filter will give you engine problems.

If buying some fancy oil, with amazing claims and price to match gives you a comfortable feeling, by all means go for it. Whoever gets your bike in years to come third, fourth hand might thank you.

On additives, I just do not believe them, period.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 04:51   #3062
KPR
BANNED

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

I've a TB500. Four months back I've changed my battery to a new one. Two days back the battery got drained and electric button start didn't work. Had to kick and then use it. Then charged the battery at local Exide shop. Fitted the battery yesterday evening. Rode the bike for 10 kms. Later during night battery once agin got drained. Slowly the kicker that worked in one or two kicks now has become 5 or more to start the engine. Don't undrstand why the battery is draining so fast. This problem occured with old battery four months back. Now it's started recurring with new one too. Please help what could be wrong with the bike.
Old 10th November 2019, 09:19   #3063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
My TB500 twin spark's battery was changed 4 months back when it got drained out. Now two days back battery got drained once and had to kick start. Charged the battery at local Exide service center and re fitted yesterday. Electric button start and horn worked fine. But after driving for errands for about 10 km once again battery got drained with symptoms of horn sound reducing and electric start not working. Now horn is not working and bike starts after 10 -12 kicks only. What could be the reason for draining battery ? It's repeating again within 4 months period.

Get the battery checked for a weak cell. If under warranty seek a replacement or get it replaced with a new one. Are you using extra leds or horns they might help drain a faulty battery quickly.
Old 10th November 2019, 09:38   #3064
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikvkv View Post
Get the battery checked for a weak cell. If under warranty seek a replacement or get it replaced with a new one. Are you using extra leds or horns they might help drain a faulty battery quickly.
Yes will do that. No the bike runs on stock setup. No accessories like LED or horn added.
Old 10th November 2019, 09:44   #3065
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Please help what could be wrong with the bike.
Get a multimeter and get down to business.

Here's how to get the job done.

Understanding & troubleshooting Motorcycle Charging Systems

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 09:14   #3066
KPR
BANNED

Has anyone here replaced 12V 14/12aH stock rating to 12V 9aH battery for TB500 or Classic/B500 ? If yes, how is the performance? Any problems faced? I'm considering the same to get rid of Exide and switch over to Amaron MF in my TB500.
Old 12th November 2019, 09:43   #3067
Senior - BHPian

Looking for some advice for buying a Bullet. Saw the classic at a mall and love the hunk of metal on that.

What would be the pros and cons for classic vs 500x (basically classic vs TBs). Driving would be mostly in City and occasional short outstation trips. With engine being the same, is the drive and reliability different ?
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 10:43   #3068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Looking for some advice for buying a Bullet. Saw the classic at a mall and love the hunk of metal on that....

My advice would be to stay away from anything that comes out of the RE stable at the moment with the exception of the Himalayan and the 650 twins. If you like the Thunderbird or the Classic range, wait for them to upgrade the engine. The new engines will, with a bit of luck, be significantly more refined than the pushrod UCEs that are used at the moment. The BS4 UCE engines are a bit better than the BS3 lot but still seem too unrefined and outdated.
RE cashed in on nostalgia and made a killing on the UCE models which are interesting bikes and do have 'character' but also come with too many annoying qualities. To give them credit they did release the 650, an amazing bike which you don't have to rob a bank to get.
If you are really keen on a Classic/TB right now perhaps the used bike market might be a better place to look.

Last edited by Roy.S : 12th November 2019 at 10:47. Reason: Adding info
Roy.S is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 12:31   #3069
KPR
BANNED

Well said Roy.S. RE bikes are not cheap. There are many who buy RE for the prestige of buying it and then sell it off without even properly riding it. So looking out in used market is a sane thing to do rather than splurging lakhs of ₹ in a new one. The price tag simply doesn't justify their products. Exception are 650 twins. My suggestion to you is get a less used Himalayan BS4.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 17:13   #3070
KPR
BANNED

Got back my TB500 from dealer. The dealer mechanic said that RR fuse has got blown and was replaced. So far the battery is good, not draining like last time. Bike is running good and I'm keeping a tab on this issue. This is the second instance my bike is getting the same issue of RR fuse blown. My BIL who rode bike four months back, in my absence said that the issue happened to him and fuse was replaced. Now RE is making me to read my own signature below .
Old 13th November 2019, 23:50   #3071
Senior - BHPian

My TB350 fuel indicator does not show a single bar at even full tank. How do i rectify this? is it a sensor problem?
Old 14th November 2019, 01:09   #3072
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
My TB350 fuel indicator does not show a single bar at even full tank. How do i rectify this? is it a sensor problem?
Change Float Sensor, make sure to do so after draining the fuel tank.

Also make sure to change the O-Ring/Gasket.

The same on my P220 costs be around 300ish, won't cost you more than 1.5k at worst.

Edit: This is provided you first ensure that its not a loose contact of any sorts be it the connectors being actually disconnected or corrosion. Which goes without saying.

Regards,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 14th November 2019 at 01:11.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 08:39   #3073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
You could disconnect the coupler that comes from the tank float sensor and the other coupler in which it plugs can be tested via a small piece of wire shorting both the terminals. If it shows any movement on your instrument cluster then you can be sure that the float sensor is not functioning.
Like ashwin has said first try cleaning the terminals, if it dosen't work then i would whats mentioned above and confirm the diagnosis.
Old 15th November 2019, 15:44   #3074
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a nearly 2 year old Electra which I barely ride except on Sunday mornings to show my 4 year old kid around the green pastures near us. It has barely run 8000 Km in this time period and after my first 4 free services once in every 3 months, I decided not to give it to RE for servicing. The bike didn't feel special to ride at all and on the other hand, the paid services were so costly. I didn't see the point in even having the bike.

My Electra wasn't serviced at all for 1 whole year as I kept wondering whether I should keep it and it ran only 1500 Km in this 1 year. And then I heard of RE's revamp of its servicing package; so I gave it to a RE service center in October and the results are wonderful. The bike runs so smoothly in a way that it has never before. RE have used a semi-synthetic engine oil and it works well indeed. Moreover, for older bikes like mine, the service interval isn't 3 months/3000 Km but 6 months/5000 Km. For newer bikes manufactured by RE in 2019 and onwards, it is 12 months/10,000 Km.

Way to go RE... it's almost like you guys read my mind! This new servicing package is just what I and you needed.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 11:46   #3075
Senior - BHPian

Is it advisable to use a tyre puncture sealant and mainly, does it actually work?

I am thinking of trying it out on my Electra which has tubed tyres, for an upcoming long trip. Is there a good brand as well, I saw quite a few on Amazon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks