Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2019, 10:17   #3031
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Exide Bikerz DBI0-12BI14L-A2 Battery
This is a 14AH rating compatible one.
Regards, Joe

Last edited by joednazareth : 9th July 2019 at 10:20.
Old 15th July 2019, 23:37   #3032

Quote:
Originally Posted by joednazareth View Post
Exide Bikerz DBI0-12BI14L-A2 Battery
This is a 14AH rating compatible one.
Regards, Joe
Thanks! I'm not able to locate the exact model.

Can you please confirm if this is the one (or same as the one) you're referring to?

http://www.batterybhai.com/battery-d.../570/1/10/14/1

https://www.exidecare.com/product-de...I0-12BI14L-A2?

Thanks again!
Old 16th July 2019, 12:30   #3033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugz View Post
Thanks! I'm not able to locate the exact model.

Can you please confirm if this is the one (or same as the one) you're referring to?

http://www.batterybhai.com/battery-d.../570/1/10/14/1

https://www.exidecare.com/product-de...I0-12BI14L-A2?

Thanks again!
Mate I believe there are only a handful of manufacturers in India who offer 12v 14aH battery among which Exide, SF Sonic and Amco are popular ones I know of. They offer regular 12V 14aH Lead Acid battery. I haven't come across any manufacturer in India who offers 12V 14aH MF Gel battery. So the only option is the ones listed unless one wants to go with Amaron 12v 8aH MF Gel battery which RE uses as OEM on their Himalayan. But as per owners manual, RE recommends 12v 14aH battery for their 500cc models at least it says so in my Tbird500 owners manual.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 16th July 2019 at 12:31.
navin_v8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 02:40   #3034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Mate I believe there are only a handful of manufacturers in India who offer 12v 14aH battery among which Exide, SF Sonic and Amco are popular ones I know of.
Besides, they are in short supply, in Bengaluru at least. Recently bought for my TBTS at a shop for Rs. 3100/- setting off the value for the old battery.
Old 18th July 2019, 09:40   #3035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
Besides, they are in short supply, in Bengaluru at least. Recently bought for my TBTS at a shop for Rs. 3100/- setting off the value for the old battery.
The dearth of options in 12V 14aH battery seems to have pushed the prices to this level or is it the Bangalore culture of charging/paying more (thanks to its IT crowd) for a product which is available for about Rs. 2650-2800 or even less in Bombay with old battery exchange?

Besides the Exide Bikerz 12V 14aH regular lead acid battery in question is a pretty average battery and not like Amaron MF batteries. Only issue is Amaron bike batteries goes up to 9aH only. Considering RE equips 12V 8aH MF battery on their BSIV Himalayan which has EFi, one can consider putting Amaron 12V 9aH MF AGM battery on UCE 500 models.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 11:02   #3036
Distinguished - BHPian

I was talking to a battery shop owner a few weeks ago and he told me that in Kerala, there is a shortage of batteries in the 14 aH rating nowadays. The manufacturers are pushing the 9aH ones that are suited to the newer Royal Enfields and there is less supply of the 14 aH ones now. In fact, RE customers were going to the distributors and asking for replacement batteries since the stores didnt have them at all.

I dont understand the logic by the battery manufacturers, but that's the situation on the ground.
Old 18th July 2019, 13:05   #3037
BHPian

Quote:
The dearth of options in 12V 14aH battery seems to have pushed the prices to this level or is it the Bangalore culture of charging/paying more (thanks to its IT crowd) for a product which is available for about Rs. 2650-2800 or even less in Bombay with old battery exchange?
Sir, IT crowd appear wealthy but paying price in terms of physical and mental health!!
Coming back to the topic, it is official price quoted on the box piece. We in Bengaluru and Karnataka suffer high price, possibly due to high state taxes
Old 18th July 2019, 14:27   #3038
BANNED

Quote:
one can consider putting Amaron 12V 9aH MF AGM battery on UCE 500 models.
Second that.

I have a 9aH Amaron installed in my P220 as per factory recommendation and on several occasions I've jump started my F10D(Cast Iron) Zen Estilo using it, so I doubt it'd have any difficulty turning over a UCE500, not to mention UCE's come equipped with an autodecompressor whereas the P220 lacks one.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 18th July 2019 at 14:28.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 16:10   #3039
Senior - BHPian

Amaron makes some fantastic value for money batteries. I have been using them since the past 14+ years. I am not an Exide fan as I have had many issues with their batteries in the past. Currently all my bikes and car except Tbird500 have Amaron MF AGM battery. I was using Exide 12V 9aH lead acid regular battery for my RE CI 350's and they were strictly average. Once I made a switch to Amaron 12V 5aH AGM battery on my CI 350's I was extremely satisfied with their performance. Once my Tbird500 Exide battery conks off then it is bye bye Exide. I will switch to Amaron 12V 9aH MF AGM battery for good.

I have also heard but am not sure that Amaron 12V 9aH AGM battery has a better cranking power.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 16:41   #3040
BHPian

Quote:
Once my Tbird500 Exide battery conks off then it is bye bye Exide. I will switch to Amaron 12V 9aH MF AGM battery for good.
Is it OK to switch to a lower rating battery? I was not sure and stuck to the 14AH.
Old 18th July 2019, 17:37   #3041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it OK to switch to a lower rating battery? I was not sure and stuck to the 14AH.
There shouldn't be much of an issue while switching to a lower rating battery as RE Himalayan BSIV and Tbird 350 use a 8aH battery. As Himalayan also has a EFi unit like UCE500 I am sure the latter can also run on a 8aH battery. These new MF AGM batteries have a better cranking power though as their cold cranking amps(CCA) rating is higher.

One thing I am not sure about is the alternator charging output on Himalayan vis a vis UCE500. But strangely RE equips their UCE500(Trials, CL, etc.) with 12aH battery(which were formerly 14aH) while still equipping their Tbird500 with a 14aH battery. They use the same 12aH battery on their 650 twin models as well. I am not sure which manufacturer in India offers a 12aH MF battery off the shelf.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 18th July 2019 at 17:39.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 22:09   #3042
BANNED

Quote:
The aH simply denotes storage capacity, meaning with 14aH if you can crank the starter 20 times then with a 7aH you may be able to crank it only like 10 times approximately.

So in reality you can drop aH rating with the only concern being fitment in the battery cage.

Now the output is determined by the volts and since yours is a 12v system, it only supports a 12v battery.

Basically meaning get any size battery as long as its 12v and making sure it can fire up the starter a couple if times even with the headlight ON and you're good to go.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 18th July 2019 at 22:11.
Old 19th July 2019, 01:42   #3043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
The aH simply denotes storage capacity,
My understanding was that if the battery capacity was higher, then the charging current would also be higher since the voltage is remaining same. This would mean, the battery charging circuit and related components should be able to support higher current flow. I maybe wrong though.
Old 19th July 2019, 01:56   #3044
BANNED

Quote:
My understanding was that if the battery capacity was higher, then the charging current would also be higher since the voltage is remaining same. This would mean, the battery charging circuit and related components should be able to support higher current flow. I maybe wrong though.
The rate of charging would definitely be better, meaning a smaller battery would get charged up pretty quick. But that is not a reason to fret as your RR unit is designed to not overcharge the battery.

Meaning at high revs the output would at max reach 14.7 volts and not further.

Basically I can use a 14aH battery in my CT100B that is designed to run on a 2.5aH battery, the only concern being that the battery would not be fully utilized due to the below-par(but adequate for original purpose) charging system.

A common error riders used to make would be to get a bigger battery to confront power inadequacy, and it would definitely mask the issue period, but ride long enough in low RPM conditions and its just a matter of time before the headlamp starts fluttering.

P.S. In the 90's I recall my father's friend running his car on rechargeable household batteries as car batteries used to be expensive in Africa. I distinctly recall this as once in the middle of the night there was an emergency and he had popped the hood to reconnect the batteries and that is when my dad asked him why he had a makeshift series of household batteries under the hood.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 19th July 2019 at 01:59.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 21:38   #3045
Distinguished - BHPian

One can think of the Amp Hour rating of a battery the same way they think of the liter capacity of a petrol can.

A larger aH rating on a battery just means it stores more electrical power.
By saying "more electrical power" I don't mean more voltage. A 12 volt battery is still a 12 volt battery regardless of the aH rating. What it is storing is more amperage.
It is the amperage that does the work so if there is more amperage available, the battery can do a given job longer. That's why it is called amperage hour.

Of course just like the petrol can, if it is larger, it takes longer to fill it.
The output of the alternator is limited by the regulator so it can only put out a given amount of power at any one time so a battery with a larger aH rating will take longer to reach full charge.

How does this effect your motorcycle? If the starter motor takes 100 amps to crank the engine a 6 aH battery should be able to provide power for 6/100 or 0.06 hours. (3.6 minutes)
If the battery has a 14 aH battery and the power it is delivering is 100 amps, it should be able to provide the power for 14/100 or 0.14 hours (8.4 minutes).

Now, no one should need to crank their engine for 8.4 minutes, but that 14 aH rating is for a fully charged battery. Almost no one ever has a full charged battery in their vehicle so in order for a partially run down battery to do the job every time it is better to have one with a higher aH rating than to have one that is marginal when fully charged and won't be up to the task when it is partially run down.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 19th July 2019 at 21:42.
ArizonaJim is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks