Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2019, 10:52   #3001
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Happens when the starter relay gets stuck.

You need to replace the starter relay, not an expensive part and is a simple DIY.

BTW, kudos for the quick thinking, I know of guys who simply stood by while the starter motor went for a toss.

Cheers,
A.P.
Where is the starter relay located in Bullet 500?
Old 2nd April 2019, 20:44   #3002
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
Where is the starter relay located in Bullet 500?
Usually a starter relay is located next to the battery.

Cant give you exact specifics as I do not have access to the motorcycle.

But tracing the positive lead will take you to it, same with the case of tracing the wire on the starter motor.

Here's a picture from Google to give you an idea;

Royal Enfield Queries-71rjk95plcl._sx355_.jpg

Cheers,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:18   #3003
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for better spark plug alternatives for my Amun-Ra (Bullet 500).

Manual suggests the following

1. Bosch Super WQR8DC M14
2. Bosch Super UR6DC M10

Please suggest some along with pricing and availability.

I was also thinking to replace the air filter. Checked K&N but it seems very expensive. Has anyone used in past and how are the improvements felt?

K&N E-0900 High Performance Replacement Air Filter for Royal Enfield Bullet Electra/Machismo https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00062YJWM/..._vJePCbK4A0269

Regards,
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:23   #3004
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
I was also thinking to replace the air filter. Checked K&N but it seems very expensive. Has anyone used in past and how are the improvements felt?
Slightly unrelated to your query: Since you're considering K&N performance enhancing filters, why not try a Powertronic kit for your motorcycle? It's made and sold by Racedynamics, the ones who sell Dieseltronic kits for cars.

http://powertronic.racedynamics.com/

The only thing which stumps me is - they only list a product for the Classic 500, and not for the Standard 500 which you seem to have. Why would it work for one and not the other?
Old 3rd April 2019, 12:14   #3005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post

The only thing which stumps me is - they only list a product for the Classic 500, and not for the Standard 500 which you seem to have. Why would it work for one and not the other?
Probably because the STD500 was a carb earlier and they haven't update their website yet with the EFI version.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 12:24   #3006
BHPian

Quote:

I was also thinking to replace the air filter.

Regards,
Hi,

You can check the NGK Iridium spark plugs & BMC air filter combo too. The NGK set of spark plugs will come for around 1500. They're available online at Amazon link1 + link2

BMC air filter is also available online but check user reviews before buying online. I would suggest you to visit Tehalia Roadies workshop, Pimpri (opposite Shakti sports) [Near PCMC Bhavan, Ambedkar chowk]. The owner is also a Bulleteer and rides a heavily custom Classic. These mods are very popular in Enfields and be assured you'll not be the only one!

As you might be knowing for performance filters, you need to take specific care of them as prescribed by the manufacturer.

For video review on spark plugs, check .

A simple write up is available here.

Enjoy your ride,
surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 3rd April 2019 at 12:34.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 14:19   #3007
BHPian

Quote:

K&N E-0900 High Performance Replacement Air Filter for Royal Enfield Bullet Electra/Machismo https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00062YJWM/..._vJePCbK4A0269

Regards,
I have the K&N E0900 on my 2002 Electra with NGK Iridium IX BR7HIX 7067 Plug.
Frankly, with these mods, performance is minimal - Not Value for Money. Also with K&N or BMC, you will need to change the A/F ratio as the mixture will become slightly leaner with more air going in.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 14:33   #3008
BANNED

Quote:

2. Bosch Super UR6DC M10

Either keep things stock or go for an alternate manufacturer, do not opt for Iridium plugs because they make zilch sense if you think about it for a minute.

Rather than replace a Rs.100ish plug every 10k km's you choose to use a Rs.1000ish plug for 100k km's?

Plug gap would have to be adjusted, which is something I do not recommend as its easier to change a SP than rebuild the top end lest the ground electrode breaks free and falls in the combustion chamber.

Then there is this concern of rusting, the part inside the CC is fine but outside is partly exposed to the elements and after a while you will notice considerable deterioration.

And finally thinking about the benefits, Iridiums are recommended for high compression setups running on high performance HT coils and cables, without them it is simply pointless.

Not to mention the B500 has a CR of 6.5:1, for comparison the Duke 390 comes with Iridium plugs from factory and has a CR of 12.6:1.

Quote:

Regards,
Why people still go for lifetime filters even after having access to cheap internet is beyond my understanding.

Forgoing the obvious debate points of our Indian conditions v/s mesh filters, change in pore size after every clean cycle or even redialing jets, I'd ask you this;

Doesn't it simply make more sense to plonk in a new OEM filter every 5k km's than pay 10x+ more to reuse the same one for god knows how many km's until either the motorcycle gives up or you feel you've made up moneys worth?

Thumb rule is to pull your pants up and run the moment you hear a 'Tooner' recommend the above for a commuter.

As for Vlogger's, the majority are a pointless bunch out for easy fame and money with absolutely no technical know-how, it would be best to simply ignore them.

As for me, I've gone both ways, hence know better, period.

Cheers,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 3rd April 2019 at 14:34.
ashwinprakas is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 17:42   #3009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2. Bosch Super UR6DC M10
Mate may I ask why are you looking for alternatives other than Bosch? Some have suggested NGK spark plugs but make sure you go for the correct rating of the spark plug. To give you an example: I once swapped my Bullet CI 350 Bosch spark plug with Tbird AVL 350 spark plug of NGK make. Both the bikes started giving me issues, only later I realized that CI engines are used to hot plug while AVL engines are used to cold plug.

Bosch, NGK, Champion, etc. make both hot and cold rated spark plugs, hence look at the rating and then buy.
Quote:
Stick with stock as you will find hardly any difference with performance filters.
navin_v8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 22:03   #3010
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

2. Bosch Super UR6DC M10

Regards,
Many of us in the USA have found that replacing the original Bosch spark plug with a NGK, BPR6ES in our RE, UCE powered motorcycles improves starting and fuel economy.
These BPR6S spark plugs come in two designs. One has a removable spark plug tip which leaves the terminal threads exposed. It is the type needed to be used with our RE spark plug high tension connector. The other BPR6ES has a non-removable tip which will not work with the RE connector.
The model number for the spark plug that works is 7131.

(If you have the older Iron Barrel RE, use the colder BPR7ES plug. The Iron Barrel engines run hotter than the UCE so they need a colder heat range.)

I agree with the others about buying one of the fancy iridium or platinum tip plugs. It is a waste of money.
These expensive spark plugs are made for use in modern high compression engines that have spark plugs that are just about impossible to remove. (Try removing the plugs on the rear bank of a Toyota V6.) Because replacing the plugs is so difficult on many engines it is worthwhile to have a spark plug that will last for 100,000 km but for the Royal Enfield with its low compression and easily reached plug they simply are not needed.
When compared with a old fashioned spark plug, they don't increase power. and they don't improve fuel mileage. They are, as I said, a waste of money for a Royal Enfield.

I bought a K&N air filter for my RE 500 UCE. I expected great and wondrous things.

To make it short, it decreased my engines power and it reduced my RE's fuel economy by over 25%. This is with the proper amount of filter oil applied to it per the makers instructions.

After discovering the decreases, I replaced it with a standard Royal Enfield paper air filter and all of my performance and fuel economy came back.

The K&E filter is sitting on a shelf in my shop as a reminder that all of the wondrous claims made by even well known companies can't be trusted to be true.

Save your money and buy a standard spark plug and a brand new OEM RE air filter. You'll be glad you did.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 3rd April 2019 at 22:08.
ArizonaJim is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 23:01   #3011
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all for your valuable and very prompt suggestions. It proves beyond doubt that continuing with stock options is the best.
Majumdarda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 16:38   #3012
Senior - BHPian

Can any one please advise how to clean the carburetor in Bullet 500? I did find one video in the you tube, but that seems not the complete cleaning.

Would be great if someone can share one video please.
Old 8th April 2019, 20:00   #3013
BANNED

Quote:
Can any one please advise how to clean the carburetor in Bullet 500? I did find one video in the you tube, but that seems not the complete cleaning.

Would be great if someone can share one video please.
Did a quick search and this is reasonably the best one I could find;

Don't mind that there are 4 inline carburetors, the basics for a CV is more or less the same.

The only difference being some(usually Keihin's) come with a valve for the SAI.

And since your UCE500 uses the same carburetor found in my P220 i.e the Mikuni BS32(Correct me if I'm wrong), I'd like to add that my motorcycle is about 40k km's old and the carburetor is yet to be touched, haven't even touched the idle screw.

If the float is sticking then try a fuel additive and it will take care of it, worked for me as a few years ago my float pin was sticking causing the carb to overflow, which was due to having left the motorcycle unused for a few months, and since I was lazy I simply ran a few tiny bottles of IOC Addon P and the issue never resurfaced.

A new one costs Rs.2400/- hence contemplating to simply scrap the current one and get a new one once it starts acting up post the 50k mark.

Edit: Here's an exploded view of a Keihin CV;

Royal Enfield Queries-keihinve.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th April 2019 at 23:23. Reason: Typo. Plus correction as requested. Thanks for sharing.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2019, 22:18   #3014
Senior - BHPian

Amun-Ra needs spark plugs.

Spark plugs required are Bosch Super (WQR8DC M14 and UR6DC M10). As per the catalog, the part number is 888237.

Here at Bullet authorized service center the available option is 888004 (spark plug kit UCE 500 CC). In this one of the plugs is "UR6DC India 7 20" but the other one is "WR8DP Germany R3 554" (the fatter one). When I compare the images, I think this one has a white electrode.

I am attaching the image for your reference.

Can someone please advise if WR8DP can be used in place of WQR8DC?

Royal Enfield Queries-888004_spark-plugs.jpg

P.S. Procuring the air filter was not a challenge (143548/A)
Old 14th April 2019, 09:51   #3015
BHPian

Quote:
Amun-Ra needs spark plugs.

Spark plugs required are Bosch Super (WQR8DC M14 and UR6DC M10). As per the catalog, the part number is 888237.

Can someone please advise if WR8DP can be used in place of WQR8DC?

Attachment 1868104

P.S. Procuring the air filter was not a challenge (143548/A)
Just decode the spark plug numbers

W - Seat shape and thread ( M14, 1.25)
Q - Quick heat
R - with suppression resistor
8 - Heat range
D - Thread length (spark position)
C - Material (Copper) P (Platinum)

So I think the only difference is that one is a quick heat copper plug and the other is a platinum plug. As the heat range, seat shape and thread and the thread length are identical, the spark plug WR8DP should suit your 500 carb.

See the chart for reference

plug chart.pdf
adrian is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks