Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2018, 09:41   #2821
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

I have a 2017 Electra and I was wondering if it is possible to fit tubeless tyres on the existing spoke wheels? If yes, are there any 3.50x19 size tubeless tyres available?
Old 13th January 2018, 13:57   #2822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_ninja View Post
I have a 2017 Electra and I was wondering if it is possible to fit tubeless tyres on the existing spoke wheels? If yes, are there any 3.50x19 size tubeless tyres available?
But why do you want to fit Tubeless tires? I don't think you can on the existing spoke wheels.
Old 13th January 2018, 17:18   #2823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
But why do you want to fit Tubeless tires? I don't think you can on the existing spoke wheels.
For the usual advantages of tubeless tires. If it can't be fit on the existing spoke wheels then I'll have to look into good alloy wheels at some point of time. But still, are there 3.25x19 or 3.5x19 tubeless tires available in the market?
Old 14th January 2018, 00:46   #2824
Distinguished - BHPian

The answer to fitting tubeless tires on a spoked rim is, yes. It can be done but, you must always fit an inner tube, just like you would if you were using a non-tubeless tire.

There are two reasons for this.

First, each spoke is screwed in to a special type of nut which goes thru a hole in the rim.
Each hole will leak air so without a inner tube the tubeless tire will rapidly go flat.

There are some who have tried to seal the nut and hole thru the rim using various methods. Most are unsuccessful.

The second, important reason trying to fit a tubeless tire to a spoked rim is a poor idea if an inner tube isn't going to be used is, the tubeless tire has a special tire bead which locks onto a tubeless rim. This is to keep the bead sealed and air tight.

The spoked rims do not have a design that will interlock with the tubeless tires rim bead.
This can cause the tubeless tire to suddenly lose its air suddenly, just like a blow-out inner tubes can have.

Although the tubeless tire bead does not interlock with the spoked rim to prevent air loss, it does fit the rim as well as a non-tubeless tire does so, it will not pop off of the rim and it is safe to use from a riding perspective.

Why would someone want to install a tubeless tire on a spoked rim?
Because there are many more styles available so, if someone wants to use them on spoked rims feel free to do so but don't forget to install an inner-tube.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2018, 05:50   #2825
BHPian

As per my brief research, some varieties of spoked rims are available exclusively for tubeless tyres. They are usually for cross country type of bikes. Some links which I had saved:
https://www.ridemorebikes.com/mtb-tu...version-guide/

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/to...r-gorilla-tape

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tu...onversion.html

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-products...spoked-wheels/

Alloys ideally are to be strong but light. However I think many alloys available for RE now are not really alloys and are pretty heavy. This obviously adds to the bike weight and might impact handling.

Last edited by rich_heart : 14th January 2018 at 06:17. Reason: Providing additional information
rich_heart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2018, 09:47   #2826
BHPian

Thanks a bunch ArizonaJim and rich_heart.

Sounds like going tubeless would be more trouble than I anticipated. I'll stick to tubes for now and probably look at a good pair of alloys some time in the future.
Old 14th January 2018, 10:27   #2827
BHPian

@green_ninja
You can wait until the launch of the new facelifted models, from what I've heard, they will have alloy wheels from the factory.
Since the wheels on the new bikes will be OEM fitment the quality should be a lot better/consistent than the current crop of aftermarket alloy wheels.
So, you can try those wheels on your bike.
Old 16th January 2018, 12:05   #2828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post

The spoked rims do not have a design that will interlock with the tubeless tires rim bead. This can cause the tubeless tire to suddenly lose its air suddenly, just like a blow-out inner tubes can have.
Although the tubeless tire bead does not interlock with the spoked rim to prevent air loss, it does fit the rim as well as a non-tubeless tire does so, it will not pop off of the rim and it is safe to use from a riding perspective.
hi there, unless I'm mistaken, these seems to be contradicting statements ? Moreover you are also suggesting to continue using tube which defeats the "tubeless" purpose altogether, no?

I've been researching this a bit for my bikes and what I have come to know so far, 1) use Outex and change the tires to tubeless type 2) use Outex alone and continue using my "tube type" tyre which I'm skeptical about. In both the cases my question on broader lip rims weren't answered to my satisfaction. And in addition tubeless valves (should be part of tubeless tires) will also be needed.

So, the rims with deeper lips (to hold tubeless tires), tubeless tires and the outex on inside of rims to seal spoke-rim holes, seems to be the complete solution. It will be a costly affair no doubt.

appreciate any pointers for definitive clarity regarding this. Thanks.

Last edited by wangdu : 16th January 2018 at 12:06. Reason: typos
Old 16th January 2018, 23:01   #2829
Distinguished - BHPian

I am suggesting using a tubeless tire because there are a lot of them which offer excellent choices for tread patterns and rubber compounds not offered in tube tires that are currently available.
If you choose this option the best plan is to install an inner tube.

As I mentioned above, I do not support the idea of trying to seal the spoke nipples with compounds or tape.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 23:39   #2830
BHPian

Hey guys I own a Thunderbird 350 2014 edition which has barely run 8000kms. Since last week starter wouldn't work I knew battery was weak. I got the distilled water refilled 2 months back though. Got it checked with a mechanic who confirmed the battery being dead as the recharge didn't yield any positive results. Got a quote from a battery shop next to the mechanic for a new exide battery for Rs. 3000/-. My query is are there any good and cheap alternatives for the exide battery. Regards.
Old 18th January 2018, 09:20   #2831
BHPian

Friends, for my RE Electra I have been unsuccessfully searching for 'police style windshield assembly' (the whole setup from one bar end to other), like the one shown in the pic below. I'd once asked the fire deptt. personnel in Shimla and he told it was done by the RE dealer, so I asked a dealer in NCR but they had no clue.

Any pointers please if you know?
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Queries-47421.jpg  

Old 18th January 2018, 15:44   #2832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
I am suggesting...
Hey Jim, had a question for you. If I park my 2016 Thunderbird 350 at home for about 2-3 days without starting, the battery gets completely discharged/ drained. Thinking it's a battery fault, I got the battery replaced (1 month old). But the issue has reoccurred with the new battery too. Any idea why? The battery charger is fine and according to local mechs, the wiring is fine too.

Thanks in advance.
Old 18th January 2018, 16:47   #2833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
Any pointers please if you know?
Hi Wangdu - cross-posting from another thread. One of our fellow Bhpian Rathore did a similar set up on his Thunderbird. He might be able to help. I have quoted his post for your reference. Please try connecting with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathore_13 View Post
Ride Safe,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 19:02   #2834
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Need suggestion from RE group.
<snip>
Im riding a Fz-16 for past 1 year, but recently i started getting lower back pain. Some saying its because of bike riding. Im 6.2 one of my Colleague told, for taller rider FZ will create back ache <snip>

I like RE's, i ve ridden both CL-350 and TBT-350 for fair amount of kms inside city and little on state highway. I found TBT 350 to be more cramped because of my height, where as classic was good. I ve never tried Electra.

Whether Classic/Electra help?. I need a comfortable bike. Or i need to look elsewhere (look out of RE)?
Don't know if I am answering you too late, but here is my reply anyway.

I am 6'4" and found the Electra and the Standard 350 (non-electric start, but the same thing basically) to be the best for my height and for my own back problems. I am 100% satisfied with the Electra as far as the riding ergonomics and effects on my back are concerned.

I have a relative who is an ex-RE employee. He was of the opinion as well that the Std/Electra is the best one from RE for tall people and that the Classic, TB and the Himalayan were all designed to fit people of a more average stature, lest the RE brand be deemed too huge for the populace.

Moreover, a very knowledgeable friend told me that Triumph has at least one model that'll be more reliable and that the Kawasaki Versys 300 is also a more reliable option for tall people with back problems.

Last edited by locusjag : 18th January 2018 at 19:04. Reason: Added points
Old 18th January 2018, 23:13   #2835
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJD@NewDelhi View Post
Hey Jim, had a question for you. If I park my 2016 Thunderbird 350 at home for about 2-3 days without starting, the battery gets completely discharged/ drained. Thinking it's a battery fault, I got the battery replaced (1 month old). But the issue has reoccurred with the new battery too. Any idea why? The battery charger is fine and according to local mechs, the wiring is fine too.

Thanks in advance.
A lot of things can affect the charge in the battery.

One of the front-runners is the way you ride.
If you use the electric starter and just do short, low speed rides that can rapidly cause the battery charge to run down.

The RE charging system does not produce enough power to charge the battery when the engine is idling at its recommended idle speed of 1000 rpm if the headlight it turned on.
At engine speeds slightly above idle like say, if your just putting down the road in a higher gear, the alternator will just produce enough power to balance the load of the headlight and tail light.

Only when the engine is running at a faster speed (like when using a lower gear at slower riding speeds like, in town) will it actually charge the battery.

If it is legal and your riding during the daytime, you might want to try riding with the headlight turned off. The extra 40-60 watts of power the headlight uses will improve the charging speed of the battery.

I've mentioned it before but you might want to buy a "Battery Tender" and attach it to your battery when the bike is at home.

Battery Tender's are low power battery chargers which sense the charge level in the battery and will not "overcharge" the battery.

https://www.amazon.in/Battery-Tender.../dp/B000CITK8S

A word of caution here.
Do not buy a battery charger that puts out more than 2 amp of power.
Motorcycle batteries cannot tolerate charging power greater than that.
Also, many battery chargers do not monitor the batteries charge to adjust the charging rate. Overcharging a battery is as bad or worse than allowing a battery to be in a run down condition.

Summing it up, if you use your electric starter, try riding with the headlight off.
If you can only ride slowly in your area, do not use the higher gears. Let the engine rev a bit.
Try to take longer, faster rides.

Hopefully this will correct your battery woes.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks