Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2017, 20:12   #2746
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Are the nuts holding the springs to be fully tightened till they lock or is supposed to mildly tightened?
These nuts needs to be torqued to company specifications.

The prescriptions for UCEs is as attached

Royal Enfield Queries-clutch-plate-tightening.jpg
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 11:23   #2747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
These nuts needs to be torqued to company specifications.
Found a workshop manual for the older bikes. I guess for the older ones it is tighten the bolts until lock.

Source; https://motohive.in/royal-enfield-wo...rvice-manuals/
Attached Images

tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 12:54   #2748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Found a workshop manual for the older bikes. I guess for the older ones it is tighten the bolts until lock.
The Peter Snidal manual specifies the torque value.

Royal Enfield Queries-psm1.jpg

I am also attaching the portion specifying the torque values

Torque values.pdf
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:17   #2749
BHPian

Hi,
Whenever I start the bike, there is a strange ticking sound which I've tried to capture in the video below.

Is this due to faulty auto-decompressor? Also, the engine idling speed keeps going high automatically. When I took it to the service center, they adjusted the screw and got it down to ~900rpm. But I doubt the screw turned automatically which resulted in the increase. What could be the cause? And how do I get the service center guys to address the cause instead of fixing the symptom?
Old 27th April 2017, 12:38   #2750
BHPian

I am now riding the TB350 for 6000 kms now. Good mileage and power delivery. But the bike lugs if I shift to 5th gear below 55kmph. So riding in city I have to ride in 4th gear most of the time, shifting to 5th gear only on highways. Is that normal?
Old 27th April 2017, 13:08   #2751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Hi,
Whenever I start the bike, there is a strange ticking sound which I've tried to capture in the video below.
Yeap. That's the auto-decompressor sound and that's normal. the sound will go away once the engine warms up and settles at an idle.

Quote:
Also, the engine idling speed keeps going high automatically. When I took it to the service center, they adjusted the screw and got it down to ~900rpm. But I doubt the screw turned automatically which resulted in the increase.
Can hear the fuel pump in the video, so yours should be a 500. I don't see any chance of the screw turning itself. Till how much did the idle RPM climb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONESTabdul View Post
I am now riding the TB350 for 6000 kms now. Good mileage and power delivery. But the bike lugs if I shift to 5th gear below 55kmph. So riding in the city I have to ride in 4th gear most of the time, shifting to 5th gear only on highways. Is that normal?
Yes, it is normal. UCE can't (shouldn't rather!) be ridden like the cast irons. Shift to the 5th only after 55 or 60!
man_of_steel is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 13:16   #2752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Can hear the fuel pump in the video, so yours should be a 500. I don't see any chance of the screw turning itself. Till how much did the idle RPM climb?
Climbed to about 2000 rpm
Old 27th April 2017, 18:05   #2753
BHPian

Quote:
I am now riding the TB350 for 6000 kms now. Good mileage and power delivery. But the bike lugs if I shift to 5th gear below 55kmph. So riding in city I have to ride in 4th gear most of the time, shifting to 5th gear only on highways. Is that normal?
I use RPM meter for gear shifting .. shift @ 2500 or beyond works good.
Old 28th April 2017, 17:44   #2754
BANNED

Quote:
Good mileage and power delivery. But the bike lugs if I shift to 5th gear below 55kmph. So riding in city I have to ride in 4th gear most of the time, shifting to 5th gear only on highways. Is that normal?
Quote:
Good mileage
Sometimes this could be the problem. What you are getting and in what conditions. Do the bike overheats?
If everything is OK do not play with the tuning settings. BTW no 5 gear bike attend top gear below 50Kmph speed (in single load, for double load the speed increases).
Old 29th April 2017, 10:03   #2755
BHPian

IS THIS ENGINE MISFIRE?

Yesterday night I had gone for a casual ride on my CI Electra. After gently riding around a kilometer, there was a loud crack sound from the exhaust and the engine sputtered dead. I kicked it back to life but the engine was still sputtering and I could see black smoke coming out of the exhaust. Waited for a minute and again kicked it to life. This time it hesitated a bit but i was determined to turn back home so started pulling it in gears. To my surprise it was back to normal again.
Could this be some fault in the CDI unit or just a misfire from the plug? I am running NGK Iridium tip coupled with a drained 4 yr old battery.
Old 29th April 2017, 11:56   #2756
BHPian

@Farhad, To remove the Tik tik sound from UCE, some adjustments needs to be done to the rocker and decompressor gear. This requires time and experience. Leave the vehicle to a good mechanic. Preferable, to do it, during the time of oil change.See the Video.

Last edited by commonman : 29th April 2017 at 11:59.
commonman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 20:56   #2757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
I could see black smoke coming out of the exhaust. Waited for a minute and again kicked it to life. This time it hesitated a bit but i was determined to turn back home so started pulling it in gears.
The crack through the exhaust is that of the un-burned fuel getting ignited by the heat of the exhaust pipe.

The black smoke, sputtering and hard starting - Flooding of the engine due to a temporarily stuck float valve ?
Old 14th May 2017, 01:19   #2758
BHPian

My 18 months ol CL350 has two problems:

1: The brake light does not glow by pressing the front as well as the rear brake, but glows with the headlight. I replaced the tail light bulb and things were sorted, but after a week the same problem cropped up again. What can be the solution for this?

2: yesterday while doing around 80kph, I heard a sound of something falling loose from the bike, stopped by the side of the road and it was the battery cover which blew off. Took a U turn and picked it up from the road. The cheap plastic lock had snapped which caused the cover to become loose and due to vibrations, it came off. Also one of the rubber belts holding the battery also snapped.

Please give in your valuable inputs for the above problems. Also will I get a better (sturdy) battery lock in the market rather than stock one and also the snapped rubber belt?
Thanks in advance.
Old 14th May 2017, 11:27   #2759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
@Farhad, To remove the Tik tik sound from UCE, some adjustments needs to be done to the rocker and decompressor gear. This requires time and experience. Leave the vehicle to a good mechanic. Preferable, to do it, during the time of oil change.See the Video.
Thanks for the video. And there in lies the problem - find a good mechanic. I have no clue how to evaluate a mechanic as being "good". And the service center chappies will not waste so much time on one bike when there are hundreds waiting. Guess I'll live with it until I sell it.

Last edited by farhadtarapore : 14th May 2017 at 11:28. Reason: Removed video link
Old 14th May 2017, 18:32   #2760
eko
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Thanks for the video. And there in lies the problem - find a good mechanic. I have no clue how to evaluate a mechanic as being "good".
You have to evaluate Mechanic,Doctor, Astrologer etc before you approach for service. The best is to ask around. Always better to approach oldies,who have completed decades in business.

1: The brake light does not glow by pressing the front as well as the rear brake, but glows with the headlight. I replaced the tail light bulb and things were sorted, but after a week the same problem cropped up again. What can be the solution for this?

The wiring can be sometimes crazy.Check for any lose contact in wiring harness. Check also the earthing of brake light.

Last edited by ampere : 14th May 2017 at 18:41. Reason: Back to back posts merged.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks