Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
I found 2 more and am likely to finalize on one of these

http://www.amazon.in/Bosch-C3-Batter...battery+tender

http://www.amazon.in/Bosch-C7-Batter...5RB3D1B532R4Y5

Would the C7 be too much for the bike?

Both the above support 220 V AC

The advantage of the Deltran charger is that it comes with the quick connect cable which ends in the ring loops and can be permanently fixed onto the bike

One of the images on the Bosch page looks like it has its own similar connector too.
In my opinion, the C7 is too powerful for use with a motorcycle battery.
It can charge at a rate of up to 7 amps but there are lower settings possible.
Unfortunately, even in the least powerful modes the manual says it is for batteries "of more than 14 Ah". See page 6 of the owners manual:

https://au.bosch-automotive-shop.com...0-8bf9f1ad8791

You must have an Adobe reader app on your computer to read the pdf file

The C3 model in the high mode or setting is too powerful as it has an output of 3 amps. In the other settings it would be fine.
The fly in the ointment is, according to the owners manual on page 8 says it uses a 120 volt, 60 cycle power supply.

http://downloads.cdn.re-in.de/850000...3_en_fr_es.pdf

(This is a Adobe pdf file)
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 11:24   #2702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
The fly in the ointment is, according to the owners manual on page 8 says it uses a 120 volt, 60 cycle power supply.

http://downloads.cdn.re-in.de/850000...3_en_fr_es.pdf
Thanks for your inputs, I went ahead and ordered the C3
The dealer on amazon.in has stated that the model is compatible with 230V

The manual says

Quote:
Determine which terminal of the battery is grounded to the chasis
and

Quote:
Connect the DC clip to a heavy gauge unvarnished metal part of the frame or engine block away from the battery.
How do i determine which terminal is grounded?
Where should I connect the DC clip?
Old 26th January 2017, 17:12   #2703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
T

How do i determine which terminal is grounded?
Where should I connect the DC clip?
Red is Positive(+) and Black is Negative(-) / Ground.
Old 6th February 2017, 12:26   #2704
BHPian

I have a couple of quick questions about some add-ons to my 2 bullets.

First, I was wondering how useful an air filter replacement, most likely a K&N E-0900 or one of the K&N universal conical ones, would be for my Machismo 350. I know I would have to up-jet the carb (by how much?), but would there be any noticeable performance change. Right now, I can cruise at about 90 kmph. Could I increase the cruising speed a little with these?

Next, I was wondering about the feasibility of adding a self-starter to an '04 Electra 4S. If I'm right, the non-self start versions came with 6V electrics. So one of my goals in adding a self-starter would also be to upgrade to more reliable 12V electrics. Any ballpark on the price of adding ES and the steps involved would be much appreciated.
Old 6th February 2017, 12:58   #2705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mad_Hatter View Post

First, I was wondering how useful an air filter replacement, most likely a K&N E-0900 or one of the K&N universal conical ones, would be for my Machismo 350. I know I would have to up-jet the carb (by how much?), but would there be any noticeable performance change. Right now, I can cruise at about 90 kmph. Could I increase the cruising speed a little with these?
If it is a stock replacement one, (the ring type if your bike is post 2002 Machismo), then go for it, but not for the performance, but for the sake of not replacing and having to just clean it and use it.
Conical filter doesn't work that well on these engines. Even after upping the jet and fitting a free flow exhaust with a conical filter, it was just a slight increase in mid and top on my CI 350. It would be slightly better on a AVL.

The other reason I wouldn't advice this is because the engine will tend to run stressed and hotter with these mods. On a AVL engine in which the engine parts a hard to come by now, it is better left un-touched.

Quote:
Next, I was wondering about the feasibility of adding a self-starter to an '04 Electra 4S.
Not sure about this or if the old starter's are available from the company. On a CI , isn't it fun to de-comp and get a smooth kick rather than a starter?
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 13:12   #2706
BHPian

Thanks for the info tharian!

The E-0900 is a ring-type filter, and from what I know it's a direct fit as a replacement for the stock one.

You're definitely right about it being more fun to kick-start a CI rather than push a button. But what would happen if I were to replace the stock battery with a larger 12V one that's used on the Machismo. Could this be done and would any wiring changes be required?
Old 6th February 2017, 14:26   #2707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But what would happen if I were to replace the stock battery with a larger 12V one that's used on the Machismo. Could this be done and would any wiring changes be required?
Mate I am not sure if the 2004 Electra ever came with 6V electricals it must be 12V. I own a 2004 AVL Tbird and it has 12V electricals(it came without starter). Both the models CI Electra and AVL came with CDI in 2004. That's why I feel it must be 12V. About adding a self starter it will require some modifications and a whole lot of money. I am also not sure if you will find a brand new starter motor for that model. The reliability is also a hit or miss with aftermarket/refurbished starter motors. From what I know the starter motor assembly costs above 10K and add to that the other modifications plus labour.

If your bike has 6V electricals which I strongly believe it doesn't then you have to change the entire wiring harness to 12V before fitting a 12V battery.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 23:22   #2708
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Next, I was wondering about the feasibility of adding a self-starter to an '04 Electra 4S. If I'm right, the non-self start versions came with 6V electrics. So one of my goals in adding a self-starter would also be to upgrade to more reliable 12V electrics. Any ballpark on the price of adding ES and the steps involved would be much appreciated.
IMO, there is little if anything to be gained by switching to a K&N air filter.
I changed the paper ring type air filter on my RE to a pleated K&N ring style and found that it did not add any noticeable power and at the same time, it reduced my fuel economy.
After double checking the fuel mileage loss (70 mpg (US) dropped to 62 mpg (US)) I switched back to the OEM pleated paper filter.

As navin_v8 said, it is highly unlikely that your motorcycle has a 6 volt system.
A simple way of finding out is to look at the top of your battery.
If it has only 3 removable caps for filling the cells, it is a 6 volt battery. If it has 6 removable caps, it is a 12 volt battery.

As for adding electric start it would be a major undertaking with several major engine parts needing to be replaced.
After spending the money to buy and install the parts you would then have a starting system that is/was notorious for having sprag clutch failures.
The sprag clutch is a one way clutch that transmits the electric starter motor power to the engine crankshaft.

Not only is the sprag clutch expensive to replace but if (when) it self destructs it will dump bits of the hardened sprags into the oil system.
These bits can cause extensive damage if they are not removed making the clutch replacement a lengthy job.

I suggest that you forget the electric starter.
If you truly want one, consider buying one of the new, post 2011 Royal Enfield UCE powered motorcycles. (The 2009 and 2010 still had starter sprag clutch problems. It was redesigned in 2011.)
They finally managed to come up with a reliable electric starter system on these newer motorcycles.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 6th February 2017 at 23:23.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 19:00   #2709
BHPian

Quote:

I have the K&N E0900 in my 2002 Electra. Hardly any noticeable difference. I never check the fuel consumption so cannot quote any figures but it seems the engine does breathe freely. But again as i said, it is hardly noticeable or could be just that I know it's there.
Old 10th February 2017, 20:55   #2710
BHPian

need help!

I own a classic 350 and I was out of station for a week. Today when I tried to start the bike again, it does not start. Battery is fine (its a new bike) and the horns and lights are working well.

Tried both kick start and electric start - nothing happens. There is not enough compression, I think.

Any ideas?
Old 10th February 2017, 21:01   #2711
BHPian

Does it make any sound at all when you try starting it? If nothing then it can be starter coil issue as well.
Old 10th February 2017, 21:32   #2712
BHPian

it does make sound - like normal starting noise (when using both kicker and self-start) - but the ignition does not catch on.
Old 10th February 2017, 23:39   #2713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinfrancis View Post
it does make sound - like normal starting noise (when using both kicker and self-start) - but the ignition does not catch on.
This might sound silly but I would suggest that you should check nonetheless.Does the bike have fuel in it?Is the petcock in off position?
Is it possible for someone to fidget with the bike while you were away?Some one might have shut the petcock,it has happened with a friend of mine.
Abhishek3001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 00:00   #2714
BHPian

Thanks for pointing that out - that was the case! The fuel tank is totally dry - dont know it happened unless someone drained it out when I was away.
Old 11th February 2017, 10:27   #2715
BHPian

Thanks for all the input. I decided not to mess with the air filter or ES.

Possibly another dumb question: where could I find a toe-shifting gear lever for my Machismo? I recently saw another Machismo owner who had converted his 500 to a right-hand side transmission. I'm not looking to do that, but would like to have an exclusive toe-shifting lever similar to what I saw on his bike.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks