Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2017, 16:19   #2686
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Would the STD350 UCE fire up with a dead battery especially after leaving the bike idle for about a month?
Old 5th January 2017, 22:16   #2687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
Would the STD350 UCE fire up with a dead battery especially after leaving the bike idle for about a month?
It should. My TBTS350, basically the same UCE as STD350, runs fine with dead battery. You would have to kick start and headlights might dim when you honk. Also, when kick starting, do not hold brakes since the brake lights would take up whatever meagre charge that flows from the battery.
Since it has not been run for a while, it is better to first kick 10-15 times without switching on the ignition to get the oil lubricate the piston.
Old 15th January 2017, 20:27   #2688

Hello. I own a classic 500 and I live in Pune. In recent months I saw some reports of Royal Enfields being stolen all over Pune. Two of these cases were reported from my area. Many people have suggested that I should think of some extra security for my bike, so I would like some help. Any suggestions regarding some extra safety locks for the classic 500?
Old 18th January 2017, 09:41   #2689
BHPian

My Machismo 350's tires are starting to wear out and it's about time to replace them. I was wondering if I could get some 19 inch tires that are similar to the ones that come standard on the Classic series, rather than the older stock ones (MRF) that I'm using now, without having to change the wheels.

I know that the stock Classics come with 18 inch wheels, so I was looking for a similar 19 inch tire for the Machismo.
Old 18th January 2017, 11:52   #2690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mad_Hatter View Post
My Machismo 350's tires are starting to wear out and it's about time to replace them. I was wondering if I could get some 19 inch tires that are similar to the ones that come standard on the Classic series, rather than the older stock ones (MRF) that I'm using now, without having to change the wheels.

I know that the stock Classics come with 18 inch wheels, so I was looking for a similar 19 inch tire for the Machismo.
Mate you can try for Ralco Speedblaster or TVS tyre(http://www.tvstyres.com/tyredetails1111.php?tid=507) as they come in 3.50 19 inch size. I am not sure about the quality and durability others who have used it can pitch in.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 13:14   #2691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It is difficult to find a 19 inch tyre with the thread design of the 18 inch ones.
Out of the ones that are available in 19 inch, the CEAT Secura is good tyre all round.
If it is the front tyres, the normal rib ones are the only ones available.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 13:33   #2692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
It is difficult to find a 19 inch tyre with the thread design of the 18 inch ones.
Out of the ones that are available in 19 inch, the CEAT Secura is good tyre all round.
If it is the front tyres, the normal rib ones are the only ones available.
I searched around a bit and found the Michelin Sirac Street, which really appeals to me in addition to the Ceat. Any chance of finding these in 19 inch in the Mysore-Bangalore area or are they out of production completely?
Old 18th January 2017, 17:46   #2693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varadnerurkar View Post
Hello. I own a classic 500 and I live in Pune. In recent months I saw some reports of Royal Enfields being stolen all over Pune. Two of these cases were reported from my area. Many people have suggested that I should think of some extra security for my bike, so I would like some help. Any suggestions regarding some extra safety locks for the classic 500?
You could try using a disc lock on the front brake disc but do remember to take it off before riding.
You can also try removing the spark plug caps,so the bike won't start.
Abhishek3001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 09:23   #2694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I searched around a bit and found the Michelin Sirac Street, which really appeals to me in addition to the Ceat. Any chance of finding these in 19 inch in the Mysore-Bangalore area or are they out of production completely?
Your best bet would be JC Road. You will have to do some walking around though.
The CEAT tyre I was referring to was GRIPP, not Secura which is not made in 19 size anymore.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 18:52   #2695
BHPian

Most of us have battery woes on Enfields.

Arizona Jim has shown that the voltage supplied by the alternator is just enough to charge the battery, and if the bike is predominantly used with the lights on this may not be enough.

For bikes which are not used on a regular basis too, this may not be enough

Looks like Battery Chargers are finally available in India

http://www.amazon.in/Deltran-Battery...ywords=deltran

Does anyone has any experience of this or any similar product

It states that "Input: 120VAC @ 60 Hz Output: 12 Volts DC @ 3 Amps"

Is this the correct specification required for the bike?
Old 25th January 2017, 02:59   #2696
Distinguished - BHPian

In my opinion, a 3 amp charger is too powerful for charging a motorcycle battery.

This would work fine with a full size battery in an automobile or truck but it could overwhelm a motorcycle battery.

These "Battery Tenders" monitor the battery's power and reduce the charge rate as the power in the battery increases so much of the time they will produce a safe amount of power to keep a battery fully charged however, if the Battery Tender shown in the ad senses that the battery is nearly fully discharged (as I suspect many batteries are) it will apply the full 3 amp charge.
3 amperes is 1 ampere over the 2 ampere MAX I recommend for a 12 volt, 14 ah (or less) motorcycle battery.

Applying too much power (amperage) will overheat the battery plates which almost always damages the battery.

Rather than selecting the one in slicvic's post, I would suggest buying the Battery Tender shown in this link.

http://www.amazon.in/Battery-Tender-...7BCSNB4SFJTRGT

It's 1.25 amp charging rate would be totally safe for use with a motorcycle battery.

If it were to be used on a almost totally run down 14ah battery in a Royal Enfield and left attached overnight for 12 hours it would fully restore the battery to a full charge.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 25th January 2017 at 03:02.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 10:30   #2697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Looks like Battery Chargers are finally available in India

http://www.amazon.in/Deltran-Battery...ywords=deltran

Does anyone has any experience of this or any similar product

It states that "Input: 120VAC @ 60 Hz Output: 12 Volts DC @ 3 Amps"

Is this the correct specification required for the bike?
Mate like Jim has mentioned a battery charger of about 1 to max 1.5 amps charging output is advisable for a 12V motorcycle battery. Also one very important thing is about the electrical input difference between India and US. The electrical input rating of 120V AC is the standard in US while in India the standard is 220-230V AC. One cannot use the above unit without using a step down transformer in India which will set one back by additional 500 to 1000 rupees. It is better to buy a battery charger which has an input rating of 220V AC.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 25th January 2017 at 10:42. Reason: additional information
Old 25th January 2017, 16:33   #2698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
In my opinion, a 3 amp charger is too powerful for charging a motorcycle battery.

This would work fine with a full size battery in an automobile or truck but it could overwhelm a motorcycle battery.
I found 2 more and am likely to finalize on one of these

http://www.amazon.in/Bosch-C3-Batter...battery+tender

http://www.amazon.in/Bosch-C7-Batter...5RB3D1B532R4Y5

Would the C7 be too much for the bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Also one very important thing is about the electrical input difference between India and US. It is better to buy a battery charger which has an input rating of 220V AC.
Both the above support 220 V AC

The advantage of the Deltran charger is that it comes with the quick connect cable which ends in the ring loops and can be permanently fixed onto the bike

One of the images on the Bosch page looks like it has its own similar connector too.

Last edited by slicvic : 25th January 2017 at 16:41.
Old 25th January 2017, 16:46   #2699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
I found 2 more and am likely to finalize on one of these

Would the C7 be too much for the bike?

Both the above support 220 V AC
Well mate the Bosch C3 and C7 are different in terms of capacity. The C3 model is the recommended one for motorcycles as it has a charging output of 0.8a.
Quote:
The advantage of the Deltran charger is that it comes with the quick connect cable which ends in the ring loops and can be permanently fixed onto the bike

One of the images on the Bosch page looks like it has its own similar connector too.
Before you place an order you can check with the seller for the details of in the box accessories. The part you are referring to is called the eyelet connector which can be permanently fixed to the battery. Do remember if you want to use this feature then you must have an electrical connection close to your parking lot to connect and plug in the charger and charge subsequently. Also remember your local battery guy will charge the battery for you in less than 100-150 bucks where he will remove and install the battery himself. So do the math before spending 5000 bucks on this charger.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 25th January 2017 at 16:48.
Old 25th January 2017, 23:21   #2700
BHPian

Gurus got a query here. Please help.

Low beam of my 1992 Royal Enfield STD's head lamp died about a month back, high beam was working fine till today night. But today when I kick-started the bike with the head lamp on, it conked off (high beam also died). I have not opened the casing yet, but I guess it is a 35/35W bulb.

Which replacement bulb do you suggest ? Can I go for higher wattage viz.55/60W. Are any additional modifications required ?

My bike has a 12V battery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks