Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2016, 15:41   #2611
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Hello all! I was wondering if it would be possible to fit a gear shift lever from the older US-export CI 500s onto my Machismo 350. The gear shift lever is as shown in the photo below. If I'm not mistaken, this lever was employed in US export models as motorcycles over there are required by law to have their shifters on the left. So, RE had to forfeit the traditional right side gear shift on the CI 500s for the US market. The photo below shows a 500ES Deluxe, which seems to have more or less the same 5-speed gear box that the Electra 5S does.

I just want to change mine because I prefer exclusively toe-shifting like on my Electra 4S, rather than heel-shifting. Any pointers as to where I could source these levers if possible would be much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Queries-sl1600.jpg  

Old 6th November 2016, 20:01   #2612
BHPian

Has anyone used the Royal Enfield RSA program? Is it any good? What other players offer roadside assistance programs?
Old 7th November 2016, 17:39   #2613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Yuck! Those guys need lessons in aesthetics and design. I wouldn't install that even for free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
I wouldn't even touch it with a barge pole. It is the analog instrument cluster that suits the Bullets. Again, it is my personal opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
There is a digital meter in the market for REBs. I don't have a first hand experience on the same and think it as a bit expensive.

Attachment 1573670

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/motorc...d-bullet-3468/
yup...thats what I thought too.

I'm looking at giving my B500 a makeover and aesthetically transform it to a scrambler, yet functional. This way, the bike shall lose a lot of weight, become nimble.

The idea behind the digital speedo is just to compliment the overall look. Moreover, I'm just in love with the looks of that speedo.
Old 8th November 2016, 11:03   #2614
BHPian

I don't know if it has been discussed here before. I have a 2012 TBTS. The headlight on it sucks, for the lack of a better word. I went to an accessories shop and due to ignorance at that time, I let him install a bi-xenon bulb in the stock reflector. Now that I'm aware of how dangerous it is and that I could be fined for it, I wanted to go for the projector setup that comes with the newer Thunderbird models. I went to the Enfield Zone in Hyderabad that many people speak so well of but I was told that I needed a lot of special wiring if I wanted to get that light and the total cost could come up to almost 8K. I don't want to believe him. Can someone confirm if that is true or does someone have a better alternative to the default headlights? I dont want to add too powerful of bulbs on the stock reflector that could damage it.
Old 8th November 2016, 11:19   #2615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by komalthecoolk View Post
I don't know if it has been discussed here before. I have a 2012 TBTS. The headlight on it sucks, for the lack of a better word. I went to the Enfield Zone in Hyderabad that many people speak so well of but I was told that I needed a lot of special wiring if I wanted to get that light and the total cost could come up to almost 8K. I don't want to believe him.
Mate before spending that absurd amount of money on a headlight you can try using either Philips Xtreme Vision or Osram Nightbreaker halogen bulb of the same rating as your stock bulb.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 13:17   #2616
BHPian

To all the Thunderbird owners on tbhp I wanted to know has anyone changed their seat set up. I am finding it really uncomfortable riding with my mom as pillion. The back rests too makes a bit of a hindrance. Is it possible to switch to the seats of a standard or Electra? One more thing I have noticed is I have to always make sure that I sit in middle of the curve of the seat on my tbts that makes my knees pointing high. If I sit a bit back on the edge of curve of seat I experience back pain. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Old 8th November 2016, 14:19   #2617
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikvkv View Post
If I sit a bit back on the edge of curve of seat I experience back pain. Any help on this would be appreciated.
During my long rides, to break the monotony, I used to sit on the back seat of my Thunderbird 500, stretching my hands and legs in a straight line and ride, which I found soothing and relaxing.

Recently, a friend of mine got a custom-made gel cover for his Ducati Scrambler's rider's seat, costing around ₹ 3 k+. He brought his Ducati to my home for demo. I went for a spin more for testing its speed rather than the seat! I found no difference in the comfort offered by my bird's OE stock rider's seat and Ducati Scrambler's custom-made gel covered rider's seat. I touched and manually applied pressure with my fingers on both. I did not find any difference. So, I have decided to have the same old OE stock rider's seat without gel cover for my bird. I don't know whether Thunderbird's rider's seat has a gel top layer beneath the cover. The specification is silent on that.

Old 8th November 2016, 14:34   #2618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikvkv View Post
To all the Thunderbird owners on tbhp I wanted to know has anyone changed their seat set up. I am finding it really uncomfortable riding with my mom as pillion. The back rests too makes a bit of a hindrance.
There are some options to change the stock seats of Tbird. The prominent among them are called bucket seats which are known for comfort and aesthetics. You can remove the backrest and fit a custom back rest which are available for Tbird dime a dozen in aftermarket accessories shops. Both these setups would cost you about 3.5-4K.
Old 8th November 2016, 14:38   #2619
BHPian

I think this question has been asked before, but I haven't seen a really conclusive answer. What would be the ideal tire pressure for a Machismo 350 and Electra 4S? The owner's manual for the Mach 350 says 20/30 psi for the front/back tires. I've always been doing 25/35, but it feels a bit hard. Would 20/30 also work for the Electra?

Also, what motor oil would be best for lubricating the levers (clutch, brake, kickstart, gear, etc.)?
Old 8th November 2016, 16:33   #2620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mad_Hatter View Post
I think this question has been asked before, but I haven't seen a really conclusive answer. What would be the ideal tire pressure for a Machismo 350 and Electra 4S? The owner's manual for the Mach 350 says 20/30 psi for the front/back tires. I've always been doing 25/35, but it feels a bit hard. Would 20/30 also work for the Electra?
Mate I would suggest you to stick to the owners manual recommendations. The recommendations are 26(F) and 28(R) psi, the 35(R) psi you are using is too high and would heat up your tyres real quick. It is also the reason why your ride has stiffened. The rule is if you are riding solo most of the times it is 26(F)-28(R) psi but if you ride with a pillion it is recommended to be 28(F) and 32(R). I always stick to 28(F) and 32(R) on all my RE steeds.
Quote:
Also, what motor oil would be best for lubricating the levers (clutch, brake, kickstart, gear, etc.)?
Normal grease is what I use on levers both hand and foot. Some people also use engine oil but that makes things messy when it flies around if overapplied.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 21:53   #2621
BHPian

Quote:
The owner's manual for the Mach 350 says 20/30 psi for the front/back tires.
The company specified tyre pressure for my 180 Kg Standard 350 UCE is 20 front / 30 rear for solo rides and 22 front / 32 rear when riding with pillion.
I always ride around with 22 f / 32 r which is comfortable without compromising on speed.
adrian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 00:09   #2622
BHPian

Thanks Adrian and Navin. I did reduce tire pressure and it feels much better.

Just one more question. The Electra, when riding at around 80 kmph does not seem to vibrate that much at all compared to the Machismo. Just wondering if it's alright to maintain speeds of around 80 on the Electra on the highway (varying speeds when every now and then as usual), considering I check the engine oil every 1000 km and perform all the necessary service checks every 3000 km.
The_Mad_Hatter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 08:57   #2623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just wondering if it's alright to maintain speeds of around 80 on the Electra on the highway (varying speeds when every now and then as usual), considering I check the engine oil every 1000 km and perform all the necessary service checks every 3000 km.
If it is the UCE Electra you are referring to, it is a modern engine and there is no worry in keeping a 80 kmph speed for long periods.
Vibrations differ due to the different architecture and components in both engines

Last edited by tharian : 9th November 2016 at 09:00.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 20:52   #2624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
If it is the UCE Electra you are referring to, it is a modern engine and there is no worry in keeping a 80 kmph speed for long periods.
Vibrations differ due to the different architecture and components in both engines
Thanks, but my Electra is a 2004 4-Speed, CI engine.
I don't intend to keep it at 80 kmph for too long, but was wondering if 15-20 minute periods would be okay.
Old 10th November 2016, 07:31   #2625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, but my Electra is a 2004 4-Speed, CI engine.
I don't intend to keep it at 80 kmph for too long, but was wondering if 15-20 minute periods would be okay.
It is fine to ride at 80 kmph for a long duration as well.
If the engine is in good health, you can hit 100 kmph as well which is the top rated speed for a 4sp Electra.

I normally do 70kmph on my 4sp Electra on trips and on good stretches , increase to 80 kmph.
My bike vibrates only after I cross 90 kmph and it is nothing un-bearable. It is reached 1,12,000 kms now. These old CI Electra's 4speeds are keepers.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks