Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2016, 23:51   #2266
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Hi
I recently heard some kind of clattering sound while riding (actually, while opening up the throttle). So I put the bike on center stand and put it in gear to find out where the noise was coming from.

Attachment 1480788

If you see the above pic, there is some rubber piece which is touching the chain. This was causing the sound - verified it aurally.

My question is doesn't this cause chain wear and tear? Is the chain supposed to be grinding over it? The rubber piece doesn't seem to be fixed properly - any DIY to fix this myself? I really don't want to take it to ASC for such trivial things.

Thanks in advance.
That rubber block is there to keep the chain from contacting the steel parts that is under it.

Rubber, being much softer than the steel the chain is made from will not cause any wear to the chain. In fact, the chain is more likely to cause wear on the rubber block.

Don't be concerned about any wear on the rubber block. It will last for thousands of Km before it is worn out.

When it finally wears out, then, you will hear some REAL noise when the chain starts rubbing on the steel parts in the area.
Installing a new rubber block, if it is ever needed (most likely not) is an easy task and the cost is minimal.

My advice is don't concern yourself with a little rubbing sound from the area.
Everything is fine.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 10:52   #2267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi
I recently heard some kind of clattering sound while riding (actually, while opening up the throttle).

If you see the above pic, there is some rubber piece which is touching the chain. This was causing the sound - verified it aurally.

My question is doesn't this cause chain wear and tear? Is the chain supposed to be grinding over it?
Mate that rubber piece acts as a bump stop to prevent the chain from coming in contact with and grinding the swing arm as rightly mentioned by Jim. This is an ingenious method to overcome chain slapping to the metal parts which comes in contact with a rolling chain. Metal on metal grinding is not good so they use a rubber bump stop to prevent this. A metal part(chain) rubbing against a rubber part(bump stop) will not result in wearing and tearing of the metal part(chain) but the rubber part(bump) will undergo some wear and tear, but will last for a long time. One thing I would like you to do is to check the chain slackness, if it is too loose it will result in chain slapping and if it is too tight it will cut down your speed faster while releasing the throttle. The latter is more detrimental to the engine than the former. Get the chain adjusted properly as per factory settings(neither too tight nor too loose) and you will be good to go.
Quote:
The rubber piece doesn't seem to be fixed properly - any DIY to fix this myself? I really don't want to take it to ASC for such trivial things.
I can understand your concern mate. As a DIY you can use two or three cable tie/zip tie(preferably black colour) to wrap around that rubber stopper to secure it in place. There are two versions of cable tie/zip tie one is the longer one and other is a shorter one. Use the longer one so that it wraps around the area and cut the excess part using a cutting plier and you're done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Thanks for the reply ! I agree that recent TBTS version is good but i am not inclined to buy another one again. I have decided on 350 cc but bullet 500 looks compelling for me Will take a test drive soon and narrow it down.
sairam mate it is good that you know what you want to buy. The new Tbird is a world of a difference from old Tbird as I ride both. Just take a test ride and you will know. Among the 350cc my suggestion to you is to ride the Electra 350cc while taking test rides. It is an underdog and rides really well on those both 19 incher tyres. If you test ride the 500cc you will yearn for it over a 350cc. No doubt the Bullet 500 looks the most regal and timeless, besides its torque delivery is amazing and seating comfort is matchless. Do let us know your test ride experience and shortlisting.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 12:51   #2268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi
I recently heard some kind of clattering sound while riding (actually, while opening up the throttle). So I put the bike on center stand and put it in gear to find out where the noise was coming from.
The rubber part is what is already mentioned by Jim and Navin. It is called the chain slider. It won't cause any major wear to the chain.

I don't think my TBTS (with the old tubular swingarm) had a chain slider, so I might be slightly wrong here. But as per what I have seen, the chain should not make clattering sound over the slider while accelerating. However, if the chain is on the looser side, and while riding over bumpy roads, it will make a clattering sound while on a constant throttle or with the throttle cut off and the bike moving. Please check if the slider is fixed properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
As a DIY you can use two or three cable tie/zip tie(preferably black colour) to wrap around that rubber stopper to secure it in place.
Would strongly suggest against this if you are mentioning about using the zip tie around the swingarm and over the slider to secure it. The slider is there to provide a smooth and replacable sliding surface for the chain at the same time preventing contact with the swingarm. A slider with zip ties across it will defeat the purpose of smooth gliding of the chain over it. Not to mention the additional noise and damage to the chain (as the links can catch on the zip ties) it will create.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 29th February 2016 at 12:57.
man_of_steel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 14:06   #2269
BHPian

Quote:
sairam mate it is good that you know what you want to buy. The new Tbird is a world of a difference from old Tbird as I ride both. Just take a test ride and you will know. Among the 350cc my suggestion to you is to ride the Electra 350cc while taking test rides. It is an underdog and rides really well on those both 19 incher tyres. If you test ride the 500cc you will yearn for it over a 350cc. No doubt the Bullet 500 looks the most regal and timeless, besides its torque delivery is amazing and seating comfort is matchless. Do let us know your test ride experience and shortlisting.
Hi Navin, thanks for the suggestion. I am actually renting an electra 350 for next 3 days via wickedride. Based on the experience I am going to decide. Also will book Tbride in wicekdride next week and will use it extensively and see. Agree with what you said on bullet 500. My final shortlist for now is Electra/Bullet 500 and Tbird 350.
I will definitely keep you posted on my decision.
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 15:04   #2270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Would strongly suggest against this if you are mentioning about using the zip tie around the swingarm and over the slider to secure it. The slider is there to provide a smooth and replacable sliding surface for the chain at the same time preventing contact with the swingarm. A slider with zip ties across it will defeat the purpose of smooth gliding of the chain over it. Not to mention the additional noise and damage to the chain (as the links can catch on the zip ties) it will create.
Very true didn't think about that as an issue. What if just one zip tie is used instead of two or three? Else the only option to secure the rubber part is to glue it to the swing arm using rubber to metal bonding glue or 3M double sided industrial tape. Although the latter may increase the height by a fraction of millimetres which is not advisable.
Old 29th February 2016, 16:49   #2271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What if just one zip tie is used instead of two or three? Else the only option to secure the rubber part is to glue it to the swing arm using rubber to metal bonding glue or 3M double sided industrial tape. Although the latter may increase the height by a fraction of millimetres which is not advisable.
Nop. I dont think even 1 zip tie is acceptable. The slider is usually bolted on to the swingarm from above (inside a recessed groove) or from sides. Adhesives and double sided tapes also won't cut it.
Old 29th February 2016, 17:36   #2272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to buy a classic or bullet in next 6 months. I am going to use it mainly for city commute in Bangalore. I used to own a TBTS 350 and it was a disappointment but nevertheless I am ready for another one. Which one of the classic/ bullet std/ Electra is good for city rides? The area which I live is full of potholes. Would like some help from bhpians on this.
Very recently, I had an opportunity to ride a colleague's brand new Classic 350 for around 50 kms, which included both city and around 10 kms of highway riding

I too own a 2004 AVL Thunderbird and was immediately drawing a comparo as I was riding it. My observations:

- Looks : I think the classic is one of the prettiest bikes in India, and this one in black was no exception. Absolutely gorgeous!
- Sound : A very important factor for many when they are looking to purchase an enfield. With the stock long bottle silencer, the bike is really quiet. If you relate bulls to their unmistakable DUG DUG DUG; you will be very disappointed. An aftermarket silencer should help, but to me a quiet silencer is a boon, especially if you are on a long ride
- Engine performance : I'll start by saying that this one aspect left me completely underwhelmed and disappointed. My 12 year old Thunderbird, with 0 engine modifications and having undergone a weight reduction surgery was faster, both in terms of pick up and top end
- NVH : Surprisingly, till 60 KPH the bike ran real smooth. Hardly any vibes. But the moment you begin to nudge 70, you start feeling the vibes. By 80, there is no way that you can ignore the vibes that are working overtime to numb your hands. At 90 its simply unbearble; so did not push it further. Again, my AVL is comparatively harsher in the lower revs but is a lot comfier at triple digit speeds in comparison
- Suspension : A huge improvement over my AVL. Its near bone jarring on my enfield and I wonder if the springs are actually working. On this CL 350 though, the story is exact opposite. She soaks up bumps so well. Its almost like riding on a cushion of air. Very impressive
- Handling : She's a porky girl with a soft suspension. But still, at regular speeds she does a reasonable job of going around a corner. Again, there will be issues with cornering clearance and she's not what you would call nimble, but as long as you dont push it, you should be Ok

Lastly, the price - It cost my colleague 1.44 lacs OTR Delhi. And at this price, and even lower; there are many options available today that are more competitive, refined and better in almost every way. I really cannot recommend anyone to buy this motorcycle at the current price for the experience it offers

Just my POV, hope no one takes any offence

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 29th February 2016 at 17:40.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 18:59   #2273
BHPian

Thanks Urban Nomad for your views! I realised that owning a RE is not for everyone and it needs patience and passion. Sometimes even I think that let me go and buy a bajaj or tvs or any other brand instead of waiting for RE. Each one to their own

Can anyone suggest a good RE dealer and service center in Bangalore near Sarjapur Road? I stay in Kasavanahalli.
Old 1st March 2016, 11:04   #2274
BHPian

I took an Electra from wickedride for rent till friday. Initial impressions - good seating posture, comfort royal feel. The major negative is pain in left hand. My entire left hand is painting because of vibrations and other factors. I experienced this same pain when i owned TBTS 3 years back. Now i am bit skeptical of buying a bullet :(
Old 1st March 2016, 11:45   #2275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My entire left hand is paining because of vibrations and other factors. I experienced this same pain when i owned TBTS 3 years back. Now i am bit skeptical of buying a bullet :(
It must be the hard clutch lever(which can be adjusted) mate that's making your left hand pain. Vibrations will always be there in a big single pushrod engine.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 12:22   #2276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
However, if the chain is on the looser side, and while riding over bumpy roads, it will make a clattering sound while on a constant throttle or with the throttle cut off and the bike moving. Please check if the slider is fixed properly.
Hi, thanks for your reply. Is there any chain tensioner bolt/mechanism available to tighten the chain myself?
Old 1st March 2016, 12:30   #2277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, thanks for your reply. Is there any chain tensioner bolt/mechanism available to tighten the chain myself?
Yep if you are DIY guy you can do it provided you have the correct tools. All you need is the correct size spanner/wrench to adjust the chain lock nut. A complete guide to chain adjustment is given in your owners manual. If you don't like reading but seeing in action then YouTube is your friend.

Also remember to put your bike on centre stand and in neutral gear while carrying out this job.

P.S.Ensure that you have the correct tools to carry out this job, else go to the nearest friendly mechanic who will do it in a jiffy for about 50 bucks.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 1st March 2016 at 12:33.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 12:48   #2278
BHPian

Quote:
I took an Electra from wickedride for rent till friday. Initial impressions - good seating posture, comfort royal feel. The major negative is pain in left hand. My entire left hand is painting because of vibrations and other factors. I experienced this same pain when i owned TBTS 3 years back. Now i am bit skeptical of buying a bullet :(
In that case I strongly suggest you to take a test ride of a thunderbird 500 or a Classic 500 first.

Or else since you have the pain back in your hand, maybe you should test ride a totally different bike other than an Enfield to make sure what is the exact cause, weather the Enfield or a medical problem.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 13:43   #2279
BHPian

Thanks Navin and The great!! I came to office in Electra and its much better. I will test ride classic and tbird next week. The pain is actually in the small finger of my left hand and is felt in the hand throughout. The little finger is kind of numb too. Will keep you posted.

Navin - Clutch is loose and brakes are loose too. I think since this bullet is a rental one, it might have been abused a lot and thats why I think I am feeling the pain. My elder brother has a old CI based electra and I have never felt the pain while riding it.

Last edited by sairamboko : 1st March 2016 at 13:53. Reason: Added comments
Old 1st March 2016, 19:18   #2280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
I too own a 2004 AVL Thunderbird
Nice to see a nearby AVL owner, who is still maintaining it.

How your AVL is doing? Are you also facing timing gear issue at every 10-12k kms?
May you please address a good shop at Delhi/ NCR for AVL engine parts? Mine is 2000 model Machismo 4S. I am looking for new rocker oil pipe and banjo at crankcase side.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks