Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2016, 20:48   #2251
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Navin_v8 : Is there any possibility of sludge formation or a kink in the feed pipes ?
I checked the oil output by loosening the banjo bolts, its oil supply looks fine. Although prior to this I've noticed that oil was leaking through the timing cover screws which led me to believe that there may be some kinda block in the system.
Old 16th February 2016, 20:54   #2252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
I checked the oil output by loosening the banjo bolts, its oil supply looks fine.
If the oil pressure is fine, can't we rule out a faulty oil pump ?
Old 16th February 2016, 21:59   #2253
BHPian

Quote:
It looked fine, Since there's no definitive way for us to measure the pressure its not easy to tell whether its performing well or not.

On the other hand I took it to a rather well known mech ; he said that it requires a rebuild. Probably just jerkin me around. Its just been 7-8 months since I rebuilt her. Gotta get a second opinion on this.
B O V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 09:39   #2254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Navin_v8 : Is there any possibility of sludge formation or a kink in the feed pipes ?
Although this might be a possibility but very rare as there is an oil filter to trap the moving sludge/plaque which it does not allow to reach up to the rocker oil feed pipes. Also a motorcycle which is used frequently and in case of BOV's Bullet it recently underwent a rebuild, sludge formation can be ruled out. That the mechanic would've missed it during the rebuild would be a different story.

Quote:
I checked the oil output by loosening the banjo bolts, its oil supply looks fine. Although prior to this I've noticed that oil was leaking through the timing cover screws which led me to believe that there may be some kinda block in the system.
What a coincidence mate same thing same behaviour was on my 1969 Standard Bullet. The timing case cover as well as the bolts that hold it was having oil leaks. Although this was due to the worn out timing case cover as well as the holes where the bolts go had increased in diameter due to lashes of time. Luckily my mechanic had an old model spare timing case cover in good condition which was a perfect match. Nevertheless I got the oil pump replaced along with the rocker oil feed pipe and the problem was resolved. In the process I also replaced the timing cover gasket and also fitted bolt gaskets on the timing cover for further protection. I think in your case too this is a double trouble i.e. a worn out timing case cover as well as a faulty oil pump. Try the method of replacing the timing case cover gasket along with the bolt gaskets to see if the leak stops. If not go for a new timing case cover. I believe your Bullet too is an old model, if I am not wrong.

Quote:
The fact that oil is not reaching up to the rockers says that the oil pressure is not enough, of course there is pressure but not enough to circulate the oil up to the rockers. An oil pump is what pumps up the oil for circulation. Assume that the oil pump is like a heart which pumps blood up against the gravity to the rocker cover which is the brain. If blood does not reach the brain the person dies. Same is the case with an engine if oil does not circulate with pressure the engine will cease. Hence oil pump has to be replaced and rocker covers on top should be opened to check whether the oil is being circulated or not. Mere checking by removing the banjo bolts will not give a clear picture as to the pressure.
Quote:
It looked fine, Since there's no definitive way for us to measure the pressure its not easy to tell whether its performing well or not.
Mate mere checking by removing the banjo bolts will not give a clear picture as to the pressure. As I mentioned above remove the fuel tank to open the rocker cover and check the oil pressure by starting the engine. If you see the oil circulating up to the rockers easily then the pressure is fine. This is the best possible way to check whether there is enough pressure which is pushing the oil up for circulation.
Quote:
On the other hand I took it to a rather well known mech ; he said that it requires a rebuild. Probably just jerkin me around. Its just been 7-8 months since I rebuilt her. Gotta get a second opinion on this.
The "well known" mech is trying to fleece you mate. If you are a DIY guy with proper tools then check the oil pressure for yourself after replacing the oil pump, if possible take the help of a mech to replace the oil pump.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 17th February 2016 at 09:43.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 20:11   #2255
BHPian

Quote:
Hence oil pump has to be replaced and rocker covers on top should be opened to check whether the oil is being circulated or not. Mere checking by removing the banjo bolts will not give a clear picture as to the pressure.

The "well known" mech is trying to fleece you mate. If you are a DIY guy with proper tools then check the oil pressure for yourself after replacing the oil pump, if possible take the help of a mech to replace the oil pump.
Oh believe me I know the regular mechanic tricks and techniques to make a cash cow outta unsuspecting owners

Actually the first thing I did was remove the rocker covers, I think I mentioned in a previous post on how the inlet valve rocker was not getting sufficient oil.

Yep will get on the oil pump.

I thought the leak was due to worn out timing cover screws so I replaced those a while ago. Anyway I've finally gotten the time to give it to my regular mech who lives quite far . Will get an update in a few days.

Last edited by B O V : 17th February 2016 at 20:12.
Old 25th February 2016, 21:52   #2256
AWD
BHPian

Can someone suggest where to buy a military style single side metal pannier rack & metal box ? Im planning to fix it on Classic 350.
Also on the classic, can single saddle bag be fitted on the sari guard side ?
Old 26th February 2016, 11:11   #2257
BHPian

I am planning to change my stock silencer in TB350 to Wild Boar. But I hear there are options of glass wool and free flow in Wild Boar silencer. I am interested in the free flow silencer since it can improve the performance of the bike too. Calling the gurus here to help me with suggestions on this.

Would also love to hear the suggestions on the places in Mumbai where I can change the silencer.
Old 26th February 2016, 11:37   #2258
Senior - BHPian

The best part of the Bullet silencer is that it is "VERY" easily removable. Its just two bolts and that's about it. So you can actually own a couple of silencers and change them based on your mood or travel. We ourselves had the original long bottle and an upswept Goldstar exhaust.

Exhaust/Silencers for Bullets are not that expensive and its worth owning a couple.

The long bottle is very very comfortable for daily use. I believe it makes the bike sound very refined and is pleasant "thump" to the ears at all rpms, unlike any other bike.

Whenever you feel the lack of thump, just rush back home, swap the exhausts and let the "louder" thump bring a smile to your face.
Old 26th February 2016, 13:48   #2259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelemail View Post
Calling the gurus here to help me with suggestions on this.

Would also love to hear the suggestions on the places in Mumbai where I can change the silencer.
Am not sure if you have already seen, but there is a thread exclusively for this subject
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...e-bullets.html
Old 26th February 2016, 13:57   #2260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Can someone suggest where to buy a military style single side metal pannier rack & metal box ? Im planning to fix it on Classic 350.
Also on the classic, can single saddle bag be fitted on the sari guard side ?
You might want to take a look here : http://www.2wheelszone.com/index.php...y&path=209_242

Or best would be fabricate it.

P.S: I am not associated with that website. Just suggesting as I came across.
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 17:53   #2261
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
You might want to take a look here :
Or best would be fabricate it.
Thanks a lot. After searching the entire local market, I was able to source military type pannier rack/carrier & box. Its not in the best condition but will take to a denter/painter to bring it to shape.

Im going to attach this arrangement on one side only, probably on the right side. Hope it fits the Classic well. Btw my Classic is Cherry colored, which color would suit the luggage arrangement, Cherry, black or Military green ?
Old 27th February 2016, 10:09   #2262
BHPian

Hi
I recently heard some kind of clattering sound while riding (actually, while opening up the throttle). So I put the bike on center stand and put it in gear to find out where the noise was coming from.

Name:  BikeChain.png
Views: 5483
Size:  723.0 KB

If you see the above pic, there is some rubber piece which is touching the chain. This was causing the sound - verified it aurally.

My question is doesn't this cause chain wear and tear? Is the chain supposed to be grinding over it? The rubber piece doesn't seem to be fixed properly - any DIY to fix this myself? I really don't want to take it to ASC for such trivial things.

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th February 2016, 12:43   #2263
BHPian

I am planning to buy a classic or bullet in next 6 months. I am going to use it mainly for city commute in Bangalore. I used to own a TBTS 350 and it was a disappointment but nevertheless I am ready for another one. Which one of the classic/ bullet std/ Electra is good for city rides? The area which I live is full of potholes. Would like some help from bhpians on this.
Old 27th February 2016, 13:53   #2264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I am planning to buy a classic or bullet in next 6 months. I am going to use it mainly for city commute in Bangalore. I used to own a TBTS 350 and it was a disappointment but nevertheless I am ready for another one. Which one of the classic/ bullet std/ Electra is good for city rides? The area which I live is full of potholes. Would like some help from bhpians on this.
Hey Sairamboko !!

Since you have narrowed down to 350cc here is my take on the models.

IMO the best Enfield for comfort would be:
- The Thunderbird for its seating and maneuverability, also it has the most advanced features than other Enfield's.

- Second place to the Electra / Std because of the seating position and simplicity. (preferably choose Electra for disc brake and electric start options)

- Third place to the Classic (the increased height seating on the classic is also a different feel)

The ride quality from all the above bikes would be nearly same as the suspension set ups are identical. Although the seats, handle etc; could be modified to your style and comfort. That's the beauty of Enfield's, the modification options are endless.

Also if you can tell us what went wrong with your TBTS.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 14:28   #2265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Hey Sairamboko !!

Since you have narrowed down to 350cc here is my take on the models.

IMO the best Enfield for comfort would be:
- The Thunderbird for its seating and maneuverability, also it has the most advanced features than other Enfield's.

- Second place to the Electra / Std because of the seating position and simplicity. (preferably choose Electra for disc brake and electric start options)

- Third place to the Classic (the increased height seating on the classic is also a different feel)

The ride quality from all the above bikes would be nearly same as the suspension set ups are identical. Although the seats, handle etc; could be modified to your style and comfort. That's the beauty of Enfield's, the modification options are endless.

Also if you can tell us what went wrong with your TBTS.
Thanks for the reply ! I agree that recent TBTS version is good but i am not inclined to buy another one again. I have decided on 350 cc but bullet 500 looks compelling for me Will take a test drive soon and narrow it down. How's the waiting period in Bangalore for all Enfield? Has it reduced from the insane 12 to 15 months , which was the case for me in 2012.

Regarding TBTS issues - there were many, like the faulty exhaust, front fork gone kaput, handle bar, battery dead- this was too much for me to handle in a new TBTS. Icing on the cake was the back pain.

I sold it and as time moved, i felt that the issues i faced was small compared to others . And also learned the fact that one has to be patient with Enfield.

Most Viewed