Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2016, 15:02   #2236
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
If you can arrest your body movement like using a good grippy seat cover,your problem should be solved.
what a simple and effective solution. I have always felt the OEM seat cover a bit slippery. shall definitely try this suggestion. This would also add a one inch foam height

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
One of them that I came across:
There is one made by a company named Swiss India and it is called "UNIVERSAL 12v DC FLASHER CUM BUZZER". Google up the installation technique for RE.

What you can do is, grip the fuel tank with your thighs while accelerating and while the motorcycle is in motion. This technique will somewhat overcome the issue you have.
Wonderful video. thanks for sharing. shall DIY (DIM) from now on.
i got a buzzer but am unable to google it up. Have multitude of videos for Yamaha and scooty type vehicles. Some for Pulsars too.
Nonetheless, found a way to open the headlight casing and try to find the wires without much progress. shall keep trying.

Thanks for the tip. Thats the position i normally take while accelarating. Like you said, its the torque that pushes the body back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
I think you are sitting too forward on the seat. Sit a bit more towards the back of the seat so that the rear seat's hump will be a support to your tailbone. And two things you should never do:

1. Never hang on to the handle bar (Even under acceleration). Keep the grip as light as possible
2. Do not keep the elbows straight while holding to the handle. Lean a bit forward to allow the elbows to bend a little. If the stock handlebar is too low for you, change to a higher bar like the RD350 replica
Thanks man_of_steel. you are right, i sit slightly forward. changed the seating and much more comfortable now. The elbow part you mentioned actually made wonders on my free body diagram :d . It does make a difference with straight arms vs bent arms.
Old 15th February 2016, 11:21   #2237
Senior - BHPian

a friend of mine is doing a full cosmetic restoration on his classic bullet (he has kept all the mechanical bits 100% flawless), but he got a quote for 2.2K for a set of decals for tank, toolbox etc.

is there an alternative/cheaper source for the stuff - Genuine stickers, not repro ones from the local guys
Old 15th February 2016, 12:56   #2238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
a friend of mine is doing a full cosmetic restoration on his classic bullet (he has kept all the mechanical bits 100% flawless), but he got a quote for 2.2K for a set of decals for tank, toolbox etc.

is there an alternative/cheaper source for the stuff - Genuine stickers, not repro ones from the local guys
Mate depending on where one stays could make a price difference. The new decals are all plastic and cost more when bought from RE after sales service, but rest assured they will be the original ones. I had bought the metal type Standard Bullet tank monogram(vintage ones) for around Rs.350 from an RE authorised shop in Bombay. Alongwith another pair of toolbox "Bullet 350" stickers from the same shop for around Rs.50. You can check out the thread on "All RE motorcycles Pics here..." wherein I have posted the pics of my 1969 fully restored(up to factory specs) RE Bullet Standard 350.

Try to find out some shops in your area which sell old RE Bullet spares and you will be able to find the decals for a good deal.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 12:58   #2239
BHPian

Hi all,

I have inherited Royal Enfield Standard 500 (2006 model) from one of my uncles (as doctors have advised him not to ride bikes anymore, and he doesn't wants to sell off the bullet).

I have owned a 2009 model Cbz Xtreme and have clocked close to 55,000 kms on it, but this is a different beast altogether.

At the same time as the Bullet is old it is showing it's age and has some problems which I am not sure about how to handle. It would be great if somebody can help me on these points.

1. Can I get electric start installed on the bullet? It currently only has kick start and although it is different, it becomes quite a pain in the traffic if the bike stops.

2. Couple of days back, I was going somewhere and the bike stopped in the middle of the road. I tried to kick-start it for 15-20 mins but nothing happened. I had to push it to a nearby mall and then park it there and I took a cab to my destination. While coming back I took my bike from there and was pushing it back to my flat and I tried to start it, and it started. Can anybody tell me what's the issue here and what do I need to check so that something similar doesn't happens again?

3. The clutch is too tight and in heavy traffic conditions (which are quite common in Hyderabad in office hours), the Bullet starts behaving weirdly. The engine gets too hot, and there is white smoke from the silencer and ultimately it stops and I have to let it cool down for 15 mins before I can start it again. I need help here too.

4. I have got a couple of offers to sell the bike for ~1 lakh. Does anyone thinks that selling this one and getting a new Bullet makes sense?

I have always wanted to own a Bullet and I was planning to get a Classic Desert Storm 500 for myself and when I got this opportunity, I couldn't say no. But now, I am not sure if I have done the right thing due to the above mentioned problems.

The last things is that I am new to Hyderabad, if anyone can suggest me a good workshop or a mechanic who can sort all these problems, then that would be amazing.

Thanks.

Last edited by Amit_breakfree : 15th February 2016 at 12:59. Reason: Deleted some extra words
Old 15th February 2016, 13:23   #2240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_breakfree View Post

4. I have got a couple of offers to sell the bike for ~1 lakh. Does anyone thinks that selling this one and getting a new Bullet makes sense?

I have always wanted to own a Bullet and I was planning to get a Classic Desert Storm 500 for myself and when I got this opportunity, I couldn't say no. But now, I am not sure if I have done the right thing due to the above mentioned problems.

Thanks.
This point honestly would be the right choice for you, in my opinion.
Provided your uncle agrees, and go for a new 500 which is much easier to maintain and use.

Having sad that, the Cast Iron 500 is one of the sought after old age models for an Enfield enthusiast, but it has almost all the niggles an Enfield used to have.
Overheating, ignition timing and kick backs which is quite bad, oil burning, battery draining. In other words , it is a moody bike and unless you give it your all, it is not going to be faithful. And to give it your all, you will need to know the bike inside out and that is the only way to enjoy riding it.

Since you have no experience riding one of these or maintaining them, I would say , go for a new 500 and enjoy it.
tharian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 14:30   #2241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Can I get electric start installed on the bullet? It currently only has kick start and although it is different, it becomes quite a pain in the traffic if the bike stops.
Mate retrofitting an electric start on a Bullet 500 CI requires an expert mechanic and a whole lot of money. But still its functioning cannot guaranteed.
Quote:
2. Couple of days back, I was going somewhere and the bike stopped in the middle of the road. I tried to kick-start it for 15-20 mins but nothing happened. I had to push it to a nearby mall and then park it there and I took a cab to my destination. While coming back I took my bike from there and was pushing it back to my flat and I tried to start it, and it started. Can anybody tell me what's the issue here and what do I need to check so that something similar doesn't happens again?
I fully understand your situation switching from CBZ to a Bullet CI. The problem sounds like an overheating clutch problem. Since the motorcycle is able to start after some time. Check the engine oil level as this may be caused due to poor oil circulation as well as low oil level. A proper service from a known expert mechanic will set it right.
Quote:
3. The clutch is too tight and in heavy traffic conditions (which are quite common in Hyderabad in office hours), the Bullet starts behaving weirdly. The engine gets too hot, and there is white smoke from the silencer and ultimately it stops and I have to let it cool down for 15 mins before I can start it again. I need help here too.
The clutch on the Bullet will be tighter compared to a CBZ. One can adjust the clutch cable to overcome this tightness to a certain extent. Also if the Bullet is running on original clutch plates since it came from the factory then the entire clutch assembly will need replacement which might also result in a tight clutch. Your Bullet stopping with no reason can also be related to clutch related problem. Bullet 500cc CI's run hotter than the 350cc CI's inherently. If the engine gets too hot this means the oil circulation is not happening properly or the oil level is too low. The white smoke emitted from the silencer looks like your Bullet is burning oil.
Quote:
Mate a Bullet 500 CI is a treasure in today's world and the fact that you have inherited it free of cost from your uncle is a cherry on top. I would suggest you to spend some time with it, maybe a month or two. Try to understand the issues and if you are a DIY'er then give it a chance or two. As once you sell it you can never buy it back at the same price you sold it for. But if you are firm on not keeping up with the tantrums of a Bullet then the decision to sell or not is in your hands.
Quote:
I would like to second with tharian mate here as he too is a fellow Bulleteer and knows the attention a Bullet especially a CI requires from its owner. If you are not inclined towards CI engines and its quirks and want to still buy a Bullet then the new ones(UCE) wont disappoint you. But I cannot suggest or advice you on selling a Bullet CI 500 at the risk of you cursing me(later) to sell it off . Moreover since you got it for free from your uncle, you can spend the amount to bring it back to life and give it a shot.
Quote:
The last things is that I am new to Hyderabad, if anyone can suggest me a good workshop or a mechanic who can sort all these problems, then that would be amazing.
Hyderabad as far as I know is a Jeep and Bullet country like Kerala so there will be no dearth of mechanics in that part of the country. Give a shout out to TeamBHP Hyderabad'ians and I am sure someone will help.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 15th February 2016 at 14:33.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 19:03   #2242
BHPian

Thanks a lot thetharian and navin. Your inputs will help me a lot in deciding my future steps. As told by you guys, the old Bullets are very moody, sometimes even more than girlfriends, but to get something exotic, one has to invest for it.

As suggested by navin, I'll try to search for a good mechanic and then will try to rectify all the problem. If everything gets sorted out, then I'll be the happiest person alive, otherwise will look for a buyer and then sell it off to get a new Bullet (the only problem being that whether my uncle agrees or not, which I don't think so he'll agree).

So will update whatever happens and whichever step I take. Thanks a lot again.

Just one last thing, I am new to t-bhp, so can you tell me how to get in touch with any t-bhp'ian from Hyderabad, so that I can ask about a good mechanic?

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th February 2016, 19:59   #2243
BHPian

I'd like some help regarding this issue I'm facing.

From the past few days my motorcycle has developed this ghastly squeaking sound over the normal valve clatter, upon opening the rocker cover I found out that the inlet valve rocker was receiving little to no oil.

What could be the probable cause and what can be done regarding this issue?

Regards

BOV
Old 15th February 2016, 23:08   #2244
BHPian

Quote:
so can you tell me how to get in touch with any t-bhp'ian from Hyderabad, so that I can ask about a good mechanic?
There is a thread here (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...tml#post358804). Though the posts are 5 year old but try the luck. Refer post No. (125 &75).

You can also search the members on Forum> members list>search members>advance search.

Please do post your bikes pics on royal enfield pics thread.

Last edited by (Alok) : 15th February 2016 at 23:14.
(Alok) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 09:47   #2245
BHPian

Thanks Alok.

Sure, will check out the thread as well as the member list.

And ya, will post the pic I have on the thread. Hope you all like it.
Old 16th February 2016, 10:19   #2246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It already has an electric start from the picture you posted on the other thread (Royal Enfield pictures).

Probably it is disconnected mechanically or electrically. You can ask the mech you take it to eventually to check it.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 11:14   #2247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
From the past few days my motorcycle has developed this ghastly squeaking sound over the normal valve clatter, upon opening the rocker cover I found out that the inlet valve rocker was receiving little to no oil.

What could be the probable cause and what can be done regarding this issue?
BOV mate the problem looks like a weak or on its way out oil pump. I had faced an identical issue on my 1969 Bullet Standard where there was no oil circulating up to the rocker assembly. The result was the engine used to run super hot with a whole lot of noise. I replaced the oil pump along with the rocker oil feed pipe(brass type) in the process to be on the safer side. After these replacements the Bullet returned back to normal and the problem has disappeared since then.

Get the oil pump changed ASAP else you will cease your engine.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 16th February 2016 at 11:16.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 11:15   #2248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
It already has an electric start from the picture you posted on the other thread (Royal Enfield pictures).

Probably it is disconnected mechanically or electrically. You can ask the mech you take it to eventually to check it.
Thanks Tharian. You know more than the Bullet by just looking at the picture, than what I know in my last 15 days.

Will go over the weekend.
Old 16th February 2016, 18:25   #2249
BHPian

Quote:
Get the oil pump changed ASAP else you will cease your engine
Thank you Navin, its a huge help indeed.

I've stopped using the bike since I don't want it to get ruined. Will get the oil pump checked out.
Old 16th February 2016, 20:21   #2250
BHPian

Quote:
I replaced the oil pump along with the rocker oil feed pipe(brass type) in the process to be on the safer side.
Navin_v8 : Is there any possibility of sludge formation or a kink in the feed pipes ?

Most Viewed