Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2016, 13:45   #2191
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Isn't the TB500 fuel injected? FI engines, which are run by an ECU, controls the idle RPMs after a cold start to ensure the engine reaches its optimum temperature at the earliest.

However not aware of the feature that you have described for TB engines.
Yes indeed the Tbird500 is fuel injected, but the problem mentioned by farhad happens only during cold starts. If one gives a very mild throttle for a couple of seconds the idling becomes stable is what I have experienced so far. This is true for almost all FI engine motorcycles. I would not like to complicate by bringing in the closed loop open loop operation of an FI engine. This issue does occur on foreign motorcycles as well during winters while cold starting.
Old 29th January 2016, 03:31   #2192
Senior - BHPian

The noise, as navin_v8 said, is due to the auto-decompression device not moving to its "running" position.

The auto-decompression device consists of a movable arm, mounted in the exhaust cam gear. It is operated by a small spring that moves a lobe out (and a flyweight inward) when the engine is stopped.

In this position, a small raised area on the device protrudes above the profile of the exhaust cam lobe.
In this position, the exhaust valve cannot completely close so some of the compression during the compression stroke is allowed to escape.

When the engine starts, a small weight moves outward due to the centrifugal force generated by the rotating exhaust cam gear.
As it moves, the protruding lobe retracts below the profile of the cam lobe allowing the exhaust valve to fully close.

Under normal conditions this works well however, when the engine oil is very cold and thick, the flyweight doesn't always move outward when the engine starts.

This will create a very loud clacking sound and although it sounds like a great deal of mischief is being done, nothing serious will be damaged.

To help the centrifugal flyweight move and retract and stop the racket, do as navin_v8 suggested. Open the throttle a bit to increase the engines idling speed until the sound goes away.

Mention was made about the fuel injected engines idling speed being controlled by the computer.

While this is true with automobiles, where special throttle controlling motors/solenoids exist, these luxuries do not exist on a fuel injected motorcycle.

The computer on the Royal Enfield controls the air/fuel mixture but it has no effect on the throttle position.

To increase the engine idle speed during a cold start, Royal Enfield has included a "Bi Starter lever" on the left handlebar.
This lever allows additional air to bypass the throttle plate when the throttle is closed which in turn, increases the idle speed.

During a cold start condition it is advised that the Bi Start lever be kept in the applied position until the engine has had a chance to warm up a bit.

Once the engine has warmed up, it should idle normally without the lever being held in the applied position.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 29th January 2016 at 03:37.
ArizonaJim is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 08:31   #2193
BHPian

Feel inf that the low beam is too short and needs adjustment. Have a look at the picture and please guide me if it is possible to adjust the beam. I often use high beam even in city as the low beam is too short.

It seems to me that the only adjustment is by removing the small bracket under the head lamp and increasing the length of this member.

BTW: this is on the 2015 Thunderbird.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Queries-1454036363386.jpg  

Old 29th January 2016, 10:34   #2194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Feel inf that the low beam is too short and needs adjustment.

It seems to me that the only adjustment is by removing the small bracket under the head lamp and increasing the length of this member.

BTW: this is on the 2015 Thunderbird.
Mate the low beam on the Tbird is adequate if one is riding on city roads. At least I find it adequate while riding in an around Bombay. But I have heard this from many riders about low as well as high beam adjustment on their Tbird's as they are not happy with the overall throw of the light. I have not done this but you can try loosening the mounting bolts on both the sides of those brackets which holds the headlight assembly. After this try adjusting the headlight bolt and bracket which is located below the headlight assembly. Keep adjusting until you find the light throw to your satisfaction.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 29th January 2016 at 10:35.
Old 29th January 2016, 13:10   #2195
BHPian

I too feel the throw of low beam is bit less in my 2014 TB350. Many a times, I miss people crossing the road and had to brake suddenly as they were not visible. Yes, in cities where there is enough street lights, everything is fine. But, in highways, its not upto mark.
Old 29th January 2016, 13:11   #2196
BHPian

My CL 350 has completed 500 kms & I'm looking forward for the first service. Bhpians from Mumbai can please recommend which service centre should I get my bike serviced?
Old 29th January 2016, 13:51   #2197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRajput View Post
My CL 350 has completed 500 kms & I'm looking forward for the first service. Bhpians from Mumbai can please recommend which service centre should I get my bike serviced?
P. R. Enterprises @ Mahim is good. I've also tried the service center at Saki Naka, but I find the quality of work done at P.R. to be better.
Oh, and as many have suggested, tell them NOT to do pressure wash of the bike.
farhadtarapore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 02:07   #2198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
P. R. Enterprises @ Mahim is good. I've also tried the service center at Saki Naka, but I find the quality of work done at P.R. to be better.
Oh, and as many have suggested, tell them NOT to do pressure wash of the bike.
Yes I would definitely stay away from the pressure wash.
One question about P.R. Enterprises is that looking at the size of the service centre, will I get the bike serviced on the same day itself, or would I have to wait?
Old 30th January 2016, 06:11   #2199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRajput View Post
Yes I would definitely stay away from the pressure wash.
One question about P.R. Enterprises is that looking at the size of the service centre, will I get the bike serviced on the same day itself, or would I have to wait?
Same day. But be sure to book an appointment a week before. Preferably morning 10am.
farhadtarapore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2016, 08:21   #2200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maker_of_things View Post
1) Any 15w50 engine oil that meet the recommended specs .........
Correct me if I am wrong, isn't it supposed to be 20w50 ?
Old 31st January 2016, 08:36   #2201
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by virage View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, isn't it supposed to be 20w50 ?
No, it is 15W50.

Royal Enfield Queries-oil1.jpg

Old 31st January 2016, 08:49   #2202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
No, it is 15W50.
But doesn't RE recommend its own brand ( liquid gun).

Royal Enfield Queries-img_20160131_0842141.jpg
Old 31st January 2016, 09:36   #2203
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by virage View Post
But doesn't RE recommend its own brand ( liquid gun).
The bills for all engine oil replacements done at Royal Enfield company service station, OMR and Sri Velavan Motors, Thousand Lights, Chennai showed 15W50 specification only.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 31st January 2016 at 09:47.

Old 31st January 2016, 09:59   #2204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
The bills for all engine oil replacements done at Royal Enfield company service station, OMR and Sri Velavan Motors, Thousand Lights, Chennai showed 15W50 specification only.
AFIK the service centers use oil from separate drums and not smaller cans, there could be a possibility that RE moved to a newer grade and the oil supply with the service centers might be from an older batch. The service centers not upgrading their billing database could also be a possibility.

I should mention that the photo i posted is of an oil can I picked up in a newly open service center in andhra.
Old 31st January 2016, 11:23   #2205
BHPian

Someone fiddled with my LHS RVM in the college parking & now my month old CL 350 has a broken RVM.
IMO someone rotated the RVM with great force which lead to the mirror detaching from the rod. The one who did that coolly hung the mirror over the rod. When I unlocked my handle, the RVM came out along with a screw, washer & spring. Went to an FNG to fix the mirror, but he said nothing can be done & I would have to get a new one.
Can someone please tell me if this can be fixed. If not, then will I have to buy both LHS & RHS mirrors or would I get just the LHS one & what would be the price.
Attaching pics for reference.
Royal Enfield Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1454219537.649360.jpgRoyal Enfield Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1454219565.012516.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks