Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2016, 11:17   #2161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Any idea about the cost of the Digital pods?

My Odometer has suddenly stopped working and is stuck on 3 Km
Same had happened to my Thunderbird. What had happened was that the wire from the sensor fitted on the front tyre was jammed when the handle bar was turned towards one side. Over time it had probably cut from within and stopped working. Got it replaced under warranty. Cost on the job card was Rs. 800, but I did not have to pay anything..

The symptom of my problem was that both the speedometer and odometer were dead. Not sure if its the same in your case too.

On a parallel note, is there a way to adjust the headlight beam on the Thunderbird? I feel the beam is too short and often go to high beam even in the city. Pushing the low beam a little ahead would be perfect in my opinion.

Last edited by deep_bang : 15th January 2016 at 11:20.
deep_bang is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 11:20   #2162
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:

Mate either get it repaired if at all it is repairable or replaced from RE after sales service. I am not sure about the exact price but it is expensive.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 15th January 2016 at 11:22.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 12:05   #2163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
The symptom of my problem was that both the speedometer and odometer were dead. Not sure if its the same in your case too.
In my case the Speedometer is working fine, so I'm guessing its an issue with the electronics within the pod.

I'm sure RE will say not repairable.

Will update once they have a look
Old 15th January 2016, 14:59   #2164
Senior - BHPian

Rear wheel rotates in neutral

This has probably been discussed before and I know the standard response - fluids moving about making the final drive rotate as the bike is cold and therefore the oil is thick

My concerns:

- the wheel moves really fast, almost like its in gear
- whilst riding too, false shifts are aplenty, especially when downshifting more than one gear from high rpms

Have shown it to the mechanic who just brushes it off. Anything I should check for? I remember reading somewhere that this might also be a sign of worn out clutch springs. Thoughts?
Old 15th January 2016, 15:15   #2165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Rear wheel rotates in neutral

My concerns:

- the wheel moves really fast, almost like its in gear
- whilst riding too, false shifts are aplenty, especially when downshifting more than one gear from high rpms

Have shown it to the mechanic who just brushes it off. Anything I should check for? I remember reading somewhere that this might also be a sign of worn out clutch springs. Thoughts?
This is what was happening to one of my Standard Bullet 1996 model. I showed it to the mechanic and he said the entire clutch assembly needs to be changed as it is completely worn out. He also told me this happens when the clutch does not disengage fully which results in the transmission input shaft to continue to run. When this happens the engine revolutions are still being transmitted to the transmission resulting in the wheels moving. Mind you I had bought it second hand(in 2010) and the previous owner had never replaced the clutch after buying. After disassembling the clutch the mechanic showed me the condition of the worn out clutch plates and pressure plate along with the clutch springs. After replacing the entire clutch assembly the motorcycle returned to normal and has been riding well since the last 6 years. Damage to pocket was about 2.5K in the year 2010.

On another note it is always recommended to change the clutch springs while replacing the clutch assembly. Hope this helps.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 23:37   #2166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Quote:

Thunderbird instrument cluster issue:

I myself is in the same boat. Yes, I had the instrument cluster of Thunderbird 350 replaced at around 20,500 KM. My bike was delivered on October 3rd 2014 and has clocked close to 38,000 KM till date.

Reasons for the change were:
1. Faulty clock. The clock is never correct and slows by itself.
2. Faulty trip meter. I personally saw trip meter jumping from 38 KM to 328 km.
3. Faulty fuel gauge. This gauge has a mind of its own and is highly erratic. You cannot trust this. In this case, the float inside the fuel tank may also be a culprit.
4. Speedometer error? This is not the reason that I went in for a change. Out of curiosity, I checked the speed of the bike using GPS app in my windows phone and it is showing a difference of 10km/hr. If the bike is traveling at 60kmph as per the speedometer, the GPS shows only 50kmph. I used the same method in linea and there is a difference of 5kmph (roughly). These were done taking proper precautions and the phone was mounted using respective mounts.

Even though, my bike was out of warranty, Royal Enfield was kind enough to replace it FOC. Regarding the price, I saw an amount of Rs 6500 (approx).

So, I got the replacement and thought all is well and has clocked around 17900 KM till date on the new cluster. Here comes the problems.
1. Faulty fuel gauge. Issue started at around 15000KM on the odo. The same erratic display.
2. Faulty Clock. Worse than the previous one. Mine now lags 1 hour 50 minutes behind.
3. Speed error that I mentioned before. Same 10 kmph difference.

I've not faced any moisture issue or insect issue inside both the clusters till date, showing that it is sealed.

Not all is bad. One thing seems to work well. The spanner (symbol) in the cluster reminding us of the service. It will come any where around 600KM before the next service due. Also, even though my bike has run 38000 KM till date, if some one check the cluster, it will only show 17900 KM.

I've learned to live with this and is trying to find peace. So far for the quality control of the Royal Enfield.

Last edited by drdeepudev : 15th January 2016 at 23:39. Reason: Missed a word.
drdeepudev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2016, 09:51   #2167
BHPian

Quote:
I'm sure RE will say not repairable.

Will update once they have a look
Just back from the service centre, as expected the Instrument cluster needs to be replaced, it is not repairable.

Cost will be 6800/-
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2016, 09:59   #2168
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdeepudev View Post
Speedometer error
The speedometer error has cascading effect on the odometer's and trip meters' erroneous values. It's hightime Royal Enfield changed the vendor, who supplies those damn instrument clusters.
  (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2016, 12:18   #2169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just back from the service centre, as expected the Instrument cluster needs to be replaced, it is not repairable.

Cost will be 6800/-
Whoa!! That's quite a cost for the instrument cluster considering how cheap the analog cluster for other RE models are. It would go above 7K with labour included. I knew the IC was expensive so I asked you to get it repaired. It will be worth to check with some expert garages which repairs such stuff. I am sure you will save a lot. If they too say its not repairable then you can replace it with a new one.
Old 16th January 2016, 12:24   #2170
BHPian

I too enquired whether the instrument cluster can be repaired, but could not get any satisfactory reply. This is just a plug and play job. As I have mentioned before, the replaced cluster is also faulty. I'm not going to spent 7K, untill RE change the present vendor.
drdeepudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 16:19   #2171
BHPian

Oh! I thought the faulty clock is only with my TBird. I do not even want to say anything about the fuel gauge. After reporting to the ASS, they reset the clock and now the difference seems to be consistently 5 minutes delay than the actual for the past 15 days.

But the intention of this post is, if it is costing around 7K, why should we accept a faulty product at this exorbitant price? Doesn't the warranty of the speedometer cover the digital component as well?
Old 18th January 2016, 17:01   #2172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelemail View Post
But the intention of this post is, if it is costing around 7K, why should we accept a faulty product at this exorbitant price? Doesn't the warranty of the speedometer cover the digital component as well?
Mate if you have read through various forums you would've seen that this is a known problem in all the Tbird's. The previous generation Tbird's had an all analogue instrument cluster which was fairly dependable. The digital instrument cluster on the new Tbird is erratic when it comes to showing the time and fuel gauge readings. Unless RE comes out with an all new instrument cluster preferably analogue we have to put up with the existing one. It is better to continue with a faulty instrument cluster than spending 7K on a new one which will again be faulty. On a lighter note we can always look at the wrist watch for time and peek inside the fuel tank to know how much petrol is in there .

RE should seriously look at resolving this known issue. It is just not acceptable for a motorcycle that costs close to 2 lakh rupees having erratic gauges on the instrument cluster.
Old 18th January 2016, 19:18   #2173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
RE should seriously look at resolving this known issue. It is just not acceptable for a motorcycle that costs close to 2 lakh rupees having erratic gauges on the instrument cluster.
This exactly is my point too. It's just not ethical for them to say that they provide digital cluster that doesn't work. We could even live with 5 in hundred failures just for RE. But all 100 out of 100 not working is just not acceptable. To give a perspective, it's like giving an option of electric start and say that it would not work for 50% of the time.
Old 20th January 2016, 01:33   #2174
BHPian

Yesterday the rear LHS indicator on my two weeks old CL350 suddenly stopped working & the front LHS indicator is blinking at twice the normal rate. Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem?
All other electricals are working fine.

P.S. I'm a newbie biker & this is my first bike. So detailed answers would be of much help

Last edited by ampere : 20th January 2016 at 07:44. Reason: Back to back posts merged; Formatted post
Old 20th January 2016, 06:01   #2175
Distinguished - BHPian

The most likely cause of the fast blinking on the front turn signal is the rear bulb is either burned out or it is not making a good electrical connection with the contacts.

The turn signal flasher needs to have both bulbs working before it can make the flashes at the right speed.

One of the few parts that failed on my 2011 Royal Enfield was the left rear turn signal housing.
Although it looks like it is made from chrome plated metal, it is actually made from chrome plated plastic.
The plastic inside of it where the bulb plugs in cracked and would not hold the bulb in the correct position.

This should be covered by your motorcycle warranty. Take it to your dealer and ask him to get it fixed.
ArizonaJim is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks