Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2015, 09:52   #2086
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek3001 View Post
Hello everyone,can anyone tell me that are the royal enfield branded riding jackets and helmets any good? Or is it better to buy helmets and riding jackets form some other brand?
Can't say about jackets, but I've seen their range of helmets when I visited the showroom a few months back. The quality of the helmets is good, but are somewhat priced exorbitantly. Don't remember about the half face helmets, but the full face helmets are ISI & DOT certified. The helmets are manufactured by Vega & are sold under Royal Enfield brand name.
Similar vega hemets cost almost half the price. So you can just buy other brand helmet & put a Royal Enfield sticker over it.
TheRajput is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 10:14   #2087
BHPian

Rather than painting, get a reflective sticker job done. I had done the same on my green classic 500
bullet_chacha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 10:41   #2088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet_chacha View Post
Rather than painting, get a reflective sticker job done. I had done the same on my green classic 500
Can you please take a picture & post it if possible?
Old 29th November 2015, 13:51   #2089
BHPian

Sold my bike bout a year and a half ago. But will have pictures for sure. Le5 me see and I'll attach the same in the next reply
bullet_chacha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 20:20   #2090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRajput View Post
Similar vega hemets cost almost half the price. So you can just buy other brand helmet & put a Royal Enfield sticker over it.
Well,I haven't been able to find any decent branded helmets here in Nagpur,So I'll have to go with the RE branded ones,that is if I find one in my size.
Old 30th November 2015, 10:29   #2091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRajput View Post
Has anyone painted the front & rear mudgards of the classic 350 with stripes just like the factory paint scheme classic 500?
Actually I'll be taking the delivery of classic 350 Ash colour in January & was looking forward to paint black stripes on the mudgards. Is it feasible to do so?
This is very much doable and will involve some cost and time. The simpler method as suggested by many is to get a sticker job done from any competent motorcycle sticker shop(ones who specialize in radium strips, specialized paint jobs, etc.). Once the sticker is pasted get both the mudguards painted with a clear coat of lacquer to prevent the stickers from peeling or coming off due to nature's elements. I have got golden pin striping done using 3M sticker on one of my vintage Standard Bullets' toolbox and painted it with clear coat to prevent sticker peeling off due to nature's elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet_chacha View Post
What's your take on replacing the stock headlight of Standard 500 with the new a thunderbird's headlamp?
If you are ok with the cost of the new projector headlamp of the Tbird then you can go ahead with it. I am not sure if the existing wiring of the Standard 500 will take that load, but you can check that with your electrician. Incase you want to replace the entire headlight nacelle of your Standard with the Tbird, then you may also have to remove the fork dust covers. Also add the cost of Tbird's headlamp nacelle assembly to the total cost. Before doing this swap, check with your mechanic if the Tbird's nacelle is a bolt on over the Standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Minchingu View Post
He said not to tank up the fuel to the maximum capacity for Classic models as it may flow out, not only from the fuel lid but also from somewhere inside, immediately another experienced SA interrupted and explained that this happens only on C350 model but not in C500 as it has EFI engine.
I think what the SA's are saying is 50% correct 50% wrong. The fact about fuel leaking from fuel lid has been an age old RE problem. People have used various size rubber washers to prevent this. Best and easiest technique to prevent leakage from the fuel lid is to avoid filling up to the brim. The other 50% wrong information is about this not happening with C500 due to it being EFi. I fail to understand how does EFi prevent fuel leakage from "elsewhere" apart from fuel lid. As far as I know both 350 and 500 use the same fuel tank. I haven't heard of fuel leaking from elsewhere apart from the fuel lid in a Classic 350 as yet. If the SA means carburettor in terms of "elsewhere" then it may be due to clogging of the carburettor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Got my 2nd service done yesterday at Synergy auto, Saki naka.

Today the bike refuses to start.

If the bike starts by some chance, engine keeps running but as soon as i move the handle, it dies down again

Any clue to what's wrong, why it's not starting?
Mate this incident has happened with me as well albeit on one of my Standard CI where one wire was getting pulled and pinched when the handle was being turned to the extreme right side. Once the wiring was fixed the motorcycle ran fine and the issue never cropped up again. I am sure you must have checked your motorcycle and taken a test ride before paying for the 2nd service. Do this as a practice after every service before making the payment. There maybe one more culprit which results in this behaviour and it is none other than the notorious pressure washing. Once my Tbird500 was pressure washed in spite of making it clear not to do it. Naturally the motorcycle refused to start even on full battery, kick start didn't help. I took the motorcycle out in the blazing sun and made it stand there on its side stand for about 15-20 mins. to let the water drip and dry. After a while I thumb started the bike and voila! it started in the first crank.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 30th November 2015 at 10:31.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 15:52   #2092
BHPian

Any advice on plonking a mikuni tm 28 in a uce 350?.
Is it even worth going for the mod excluding the placebo factor
more importantly is it even possible.
Currently on a stock setup. But the mikuni if at all i decide to go ahead with it, i might couple it with a k&n and a glass-wool free flow exhaust.
Old 4th December 2015, 20:54   #2093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virage View Post
more importantly is it even possible.
Currently on a stock setup. But the mikuni if at all i decide to go ahead with it, i might couple it with a k&n and a glass-wool free flow exhaust.
I ride a 2011 standard uce which is running stock in all aspects. Till date all I have done is to clean and tune up the carburetor properly and my machine pulls like a locomotive with plenty of throttle left after I hit the 90 KM/Hr mark. The constant velocity carburetor BS29, which is the stock carburetor is the best as far as the 350 UCE is concerned. Don't waste your money on after market mods on a 350. As you said, all it provides is the placebo effect. If you need more power, go for a 500.
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2015, 09:43   #2094
Senior - BHPian

Virage:

Perhaps you meant to say Mikuni 29 mm carburetor?

The UCE Royal Enfields come with a UCAL 29mm CV carburetor on them so I'm not sure what is to be gained by using a 28mm carb, assuming one is available.

Although there is no doubt the Mikuni carburetors are a high quality product I doubt that any real improvement would be noticed if you used one to replace the existing carburetor.
Old 5th December 2015, 14:14   #2095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Virage:

Perhaps you meant to say Mikuni 29 mm carburetor?

The UCE Royal Enfields come with a UCAL 29mm CV carburetor on them so I'm not sure what is to be gained by using a 28mm carb, assuming one is available.

Although there is no doubt the Mikuni carburetors are a high quality product I doubt that any real improvement would be noticed if you used one to replace the existing carburetor.
No, A Mikuni TM 28 is a flat slide carburetor, i have hear of people replacing the carbs on their 500cc bulls (uce\CI\AVL) with these instead of the round slide mikunis and CV UCAL'S.
The main reason that i want to play with my settings is that, i want the bike to be able to cruise at 100. ( I ride along with 500cc bulls).

Tried a k&n / and a free flowing exhaust ( different combinations of the two along with proper jetting). I managed to do 128KMPH on the filter alone( with a bit of throttle left) compared to the stock 115KMPH , and the engine was noticeably relaxed at 100, but my bottom end torque went for a toss.

Since I use the bike to commute as well as do 1000+ km rides, I need to find a state of tune that can handle the steep ghats section, cruise at 100 yet be reliable to do the office run.
virage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2015, 19:50   #2096
BHPian

Quote:
A while back even I had contemplated getting a flatslide, however for the kind of usage you have mentioned i.e ghat sections et al, the flatslide wouldn't do much since you will lose your midrange.

To tell you the truth I do not think much can be done of the royal enfield 350 cc mills power wise in such a manner that it will suit your daily riding needs as well, sure you can get some stuff done that might boost power output BUT it wouldn't be a daily ride anymore.

Also last I checked those mikunis were going for 100$+, probably not a cost effective decision.

Why not just ride at your own pace and catch up with them 500's later on or get a 500 yourself

Regards,

BOV
B O V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 10:15   #2097
BHPian

Is there any way to adjust the engine idling rpm for a thunderbird 500? It used to be at 1000rpm, but now hovers at 1500. This has happened after the bike's service. Is there any screw-based adjustment that I can do without a mechanic?
Old 6th December 2015, 17:39   #2098
BHPian

ArizonaJim has covered the adjustment of the idle speed of the 500 efi on page 131 of this thread.
Abhishek3001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 10:34   #2099
Senior - BHPian

Farhad the RPM level on a Tbird500 also increases if the breather pipe(thick black rubber pipe) has ruptures(common issue). Try and see if you are able to spot ruptures and cuts in your breather pipe, if not then you can follow the technique shown by Jim in his posts to adjust the screw. Personally I am a bit weary of playing with the EFi as compared to my mechanical carbs, hence it leave it to the experts to do that for me.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 7th December 2015 at 10:39.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 10:41   #2100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, A Mikuni TM 28 is a flat slide carburetor, i have hear of people replacing the carbs on their 500cc bulls (uce\CI\AVL) with these instead of the round slide mikunis and CV UCAL'S.
Mate I would suggest you to try out different jet sizes before swapping the entire carb assembly. An expert carb tuner is a must in achieving this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks