Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2015, 12:29   #2071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post
Hi guys, I have a 1992 Bullet, right side gears. I'm looking to get new tyres for it. Bike is stock. Could you guys kindly suggest the best tyres for my bike? Thanks in advance.
Use 3.25x19 MRF Rib at front unless your daily use has a lot of concrete roads since the RIB is suseptible to TRAMLINING in the gap of the concrete road slab.

In such case use 3.25x19 Nylogrip pattern. The downside is slightly heavy steering.

Use 3.50x19 MRF at rear. Stay away from the newer 90/90x19 or 90/100x19 since these rub against the swingarm. To prevent rubbing it requires the swingarm to be scooped at the lenght of contact patch....a major job to do on a critical component.

I have found the MRFs to be good all around rather than the Dunlops.

Cheers mate!!!
Ameya Janvekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 22:04   #2072
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Just took a test drive for Thunderbird 350. It was a good ride. However, there were significant vibrations on the handlebar especially when accelerating. When I pointed the same to the SA, he said that the bike had to undergo a servicing and hence the vibrations would go down. Can somebody confirm how are the vibrations on a normal TBird. Also the route I took for the test drive had all cemented roads, how is the handling of the vehicle on not so good roads.
Old 18th November 2015, 10:37   #2073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_d1106 View Post
Just took a test drive for Thunderbird 350. It was a good ride. However, there were significant vibrations on the handlebar especially when accelerating. When I pointed the same to the SA, he said that the bike had to undergo a servicing and hence the vibrations would go down. Can somebody confirm how are the vibrations on a normal TBird. Also the route I took for the test drive had all cemented roads, how is the handling of the vehicle on not so good roads.
Mate a big single (single cylinder motorcycle with a large displacement engine) always vibrates and Tbird is one of them. I am sure you must be riding on proper gears as a big single vibrates more if riding on lower gears with higher speeds. The vibrations on a new Tbird will be somewhat lesser by may be around 20% lesser. If one is used to riding motorcycles like Honda Unicorn, Suzuki GS150, etc. then the vibrations on a Tbird will surely make its presence felt. The handling of the new Tbird compared to the older model Tbird is better thanks to the 41mm front forks, stiff rear suspension, all new box swingarm and rounder profile fatter tyres. You will be surprised how agile and manoeuvrable it becomes while its on the move and navigates through the zig zag roads and corners with relative ease.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 11:47   #2074
BHPian

Quote:
However, there were significant vibrations on the handlebar especially when accelerating.
i used to have a 2009 TBD and the vibrations were sizable. Was highly more when accelerating and hitting the rpm for a gear change. But was of the opinion that the new models did not have that issue. Did you try a TBD500 as well?
Old 18th November 2015, 15:43   #2075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As for the vibrations, I hardly felt any when I took a test ride on one run less than 1k kms. In fact, the smoothness when accelerating is what struck me first.
Being a big single, although the vibrations will be evident compared to smaller engines, there is also a higher smoothness when the engine is set in.
Of course, in higher revs, it will vibrate which is usual.

But, I did feel compared to the AVL, the UCE are much smoother when the engine is new itself.

Last edited by tharian : 18th November 2015 at 15:44.
Old 19th November 2015, 10:11   #2076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
i used to have a 2009 TBD and the vibrations were sizable. Was highly more when accelerating and hitting the rpm for a gear change. But was of the opinion that the new models did not have that issue. Did you try a TBD500 as well?
No, I took a test drive only on the 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
As for the vibrations, I hardly felt any when I took a test ride on one run less than 1k kms. In fact, the smoothness when accelerating is what struck me first.
Being a big single, although the vibrations will be evident compared to smaller engines, there is also a higher smoothness when the engine is set in.
Of course, in higher revs, it will vibrate which is usual.

But, I did feel compared to the AVL, the UCE are much smoother when the engine is new itself.
I had driven a cousin's Classic 350 a few months back, it was pretty smooth to drive and that was my reference point.
Old 27th November 2015, 09:36   #2077
BHPian

Dear All,

I have driven my electra for 1700 KM now, as per the manual, the top speed before II service is recommended to be less than 70 kmph, and I am following this carefully.

I am observing the following strange behavior:

When ever I find a open road, I try to open up the throttle and reach the 70 kmph, sustain for a few seconds then bring the speed down to 60. I try to do this cycle for as many times as the road conditions allow, and start this only after running the bike for a good 3-5 km, to get the motor warmed up, otherwise, my speed is normally between 30-50 kmph.

While doing this, I find that the motor is really lazy to go beyond 65 kmph, and feels like i need 7-8 secs to reach from 60 to 70 kmph. Is this normal for RE? I read several posts where authors mention that cruise speed for RE 350 is 70-75 kmp, I feel for my bike, it is 60, feels strained at 70 kmph.

Also when slowing down from 70 kmph, i have observed a couple of times that motor dies. once it restarted as I was coming to a halt on the side of the road, in other occasions, after the motor stopped, i felt perhaps I fuel reached reserved capacity, and after switching the fuel to reserve, started the bike. But this was not the case, Bike had enough fuel to run in mains, after running a few mins in reserve, when I switched to main, I had no problems to run for several KM (on level road).

Otherwise, I have no problems, and motor has smoothened and is running-in nice. FE in the range of 40-44.

Can experienced members suggest what could be the root cause? Many thanks in advance.
Old 27th November 2015, 10:26   #2078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyasagar View Post
I am observing the following strange behaviour:

I find that the motor is really lazy to go beyond 65 kmph, and feels like i need 7-8 secs to reach from 60 to 70 kmph. Is this normal for RE? I read several posts where authors mention that cruise speed for RE 350 is 70-75 kmp, I feel for my bike, it is 60, feels strained at 70 kmph.

Also when slowing down from 70 kmph, i have observed a couple of times that motor dies.
Mate the symptoms on your motorcycle looks to me as a fuelling issue. Get your carburettor checked and tuned properly. A 350cc UCE should be able to hit speeds and cruise at 70 KMPH with ease. As a RE owner I feel that UCE motors open up fully after 3000 kms or so. Just my personal experience.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 27th November 2015 at 10:27.
Old 27th November 2015, 19:00   #2079
BHPian

What are the bulb specifications for Classic 350 rear tail light and turn indicator? I am planning to switch to LED bulbs from normal bulbs. The pilot lights are BA9S type.

Edit: I guess it was answered in this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3639014

Last edited by Dodge_Viper : 27th November 2015 at 19:10.
Old 27th November 2015, 19:04   #2080
BHPian

Got my 2nd service done yesterday at Synergy auto, Saki naka.

Today the bike refuses to start. Symptoms:
1. When i turn on the ignition, the red light of the engine doesn't come on. Fuel pump malfunction?

2. Kick start doesn't work

3. Electric starter cranks the engine but bike doesn't start

4. Red light of engine keeps coming on and going off randomly

5. Lights, horn etc working so not battery issue

6. If the bike starts by some chance, engine keeps running but as soon as i move the handle, it dies down again

Questions:

Any reliable mechanic who can come to my place in bandra to repair it?

Any way I can service the bike myself? First service at PR enterprises Mahim also caused problems, and now this. I'm fed up of giving it for "servicing" to these jokers. Would love to do it myself.

Any clue to what's wrong, why it's not starting?

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th November 2015, 21:59   #2081
BHPian

Re: Filling tank full of fuel in C500.

Hi All,
Recently I visited a reputed RE show room in Bangalore and I heard a comment from the SA on Classic models pertaining to filling tank full of petrol.

He said not to tank up the fuel to the maximum capacity for Classic models as it may flow out, not only from the fuel lid but also from somewhere inside, immediately another experienced SA interrupted and explained that this happens only on C350 model but not in C500 as it has EFI engine.

Suddenly this has got me worried. Can anyone please let me know their experience on this. Do you fill to the max capacity and observe any leak? be it a 350 or 500. What is the suggestion you provide on the same.

Regards,
-Badri
Old 28th November 2015, 11:36   #2082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Got my 2nd service done yesterday at Synergy auto, Saki naka.

1. When i turn on the ignition, the red light of the engine doesn't come on. Fuel pump malfunction?

Any way I can service the bike myself? First service at PR enterprises Mahim also caused problems, and now this. I'm fed up of giving it for "servicing" to these jokers. Would love to do it myself.

Any clue to what's wrong, why it's not starting?

Thanks in advance.
Looks like a loose electrical connection to me. If you are comfortable with it, open the headlight and check each electrical connector for loose / dirty contact. For a dirty contact, spray with zorrik 88 contact cleaner and reconnect. And don't forget to check your ignition switch as well. Just wiggle the key in the ignition and see if the light comes up.

Last edited by adrian : 28th November 2015 at 11:38.
Old 28th November 2015, 17:27   #2083
BHPian

Hello everyone,can anyone tell me that are the royal enfield branded riding jackets and helmets any good? Or is it better to buy helmets and riding jackets form some other brand?
Old 28th November 2015, 17:47   #2084
BHPian

Hey everyone!

What's your take on replacing the stock headlight of Standard 500 with the new a thunderbird's headlamp?

I'm looking forward to modify my 2015 Standard to a scrambler, but in installments.

Inputs and suggestions welcome
Old 29th November 2015, 09:42   #2085
BHPian

Has anyone painted the front & rear mudgards of the classic 350 with stripes just like the factory paint scheme classic 500?
Actually I'll be taking the delivery of classic 350 Ash colour in January & was looking forward to paint black stripes on the mudgards. Is it feasible to do so?

Thanks.

Most Viewed