Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2015, 18:57   #2056
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Got a chance to ride 7 different models from the RE stable today, all run less than a thousand on the odo.

I'm not going to pen down a detailed comparison since these bikes in the market a while.
But,since I had the chance to ride them back to back, it was easy to differentiate. The ride were around 2 - 3 kms each.
The 500 engines are a no brainer compared to the 350 if you want a quick bike. Not that the 350 is bad, it's perfect for city riding. The smoothest of the 350 lot was the Electra which is when I learnt, it's no longer the Electra. It's called the Bullet 350 and it comes with a heavy crank as well. The only difference now between the Std 350 and this bike are the additions of a disc brake, gas shocks, electric start and of course the Electra looks.
This was a total surprise and when I rode the Classic 350 and and the Bullet 350,the difference was felt in the smoothness and the Torque in higher gears. The difference is not very high like on the older heavy crank cast irons and Electra cast iron bikes. Wonder when this change happened.
The smoothest bike of the lot was the Electra. No sound, no vibrations, no feedback. Okay on power and the negligible torque felt in higher gears in low speeds.
I enjoyed the Classic 350 better. It's no wonder the Classic 350 is the highest seller for RE.
Felt like I was sitting on the old bench seat cast irons and bike felt nimble in traffic. Enough power for city and occasional trips.
T500 sounded like it had a conical air filter fitted,. It was howling away everytime I opened the throttle,good power and perfect for cruising from the seating. Could see the front bobbing everytime I opened and closed the throttle.
T350 felt like no-nonsense bike for city and highways. This ride was with a pillion and with both of us, the engine had to be worked to keep the response meaty and was howler as well but on a smaller scale. Wonder why RE is not fixing that intake roar since it's quite a bit and can be annoying to some.
Conti 535 is a weekend only and lives up to its class- Cafe Racer. Ended up with a sore right palm. Felt the power delivery was rough in comparison to the TB500.
My pick of the lot would be the Std 500. I enjoyed riding that bike. Pulled like a diesel engine, sounded good, could connect with the bike through sound and feel and felt good sitting on it.
Classic 500 had some usual RE new born issues. So didn't bother riding it much.

Gearshifts have become much slick from what I experienced when these bikes were launched.

But I was sold on the Std 500.

Last edited by tharian : 6th November 2015 at 19:19.
tharian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 10:31   #2057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
The 500 engines are a no brainer compared to the 350 if you want a quick bike.
It always was mate, hence I choose the Tbird500 over the Tbird350.
Quote:
The smoothest of the 350 lot was the Electra which is when I learnt, it's no longer the Electra. It's called the Bullet 350 and it comes with a heavy crank as well.
Mate I have always been saying this that the Electra is the most underrated motorcycle from RE's stable. It is in fact the best of all as it has a disc brake upfront, gas shock ups rear, front offset telescopic suspension is very comfortable, the legendary single step up seat coupled with an electric starter. It no longer being called the Electra is news to me mate, as the website still lists it as Electra. Although I remember seeing one brand new Electra a couple of months back whose toolbox carried the name Bullet 350 instead of Bullet Electra. Heavy crank I am not sure about, the website does not mention it as it does for the Standard 350. One funny incident about the owner whom I met about the same brand new Electra. I casually asked him, "Why the electra?". He responded, "It had the least waiting time of all models."
Quote:
T500 sounded like it had a conical air filter fitted,. It was howling away everytime I opened the throttle,good power and perfect for cruising from the seating. Could see the front bobbing everytime I opened and closed the throttle.
The Tbird500's torque delivery is the sharpest among all RE's. The throttle response is also crisper than all RE's. The bobbing happens due to sudden surge of torque delivery coupled with ultra smooth front shock ups, which are again different from all RE's and has a greater travel.
Quote:
T350 felt like no-nonsense bike for city and highways. This ride was with a pillion and with both of us, the engine had to be worked to keep the response meaty and was howler as well but on a smaller scale.
Exactly my experience as I took the test ride before booking the Tbird500. The Tbird350 although a very good bike is no match for the Tbird500 when it comes to hauling loads effortlessly like a freight train. I weigh about 90 kgs and saw the difference while riding the Tbird350 and Tbird500. The 500 simply blows away the 350 when it comes to sheer pulling power and keeping up the rhythm even while in 5th gear at 80 KMPH and pulling away effortlessly.
Quote:
Conti 535 is a weekend only and lives up to its class- Cafe Racer. Ended up with a sore right palm. Felt the power delivery was rough in comparison to the TB500.
The difference in power delivery of the CGT in comparison to Tbird500 maybe because the CGT uses a lighter crank for better pickup and acceleration or maybe the CGT was abused by the test riders.
Quote:
Gearshifts have become much slick from what I experienced when these bikes were launched.
You are bang on correct mate, the gearshifts on the newer models have improved. Although they are still clunky compared to the Japanese, but is still very much manageable.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 11:10   #2058
BHPian

Hi

I have a TB500 and am a bit fed up of the side mirrors. Firstly, they seem to be too small in the field of view they offer (personal opinion after 1000kms). Secondly (and more dangerous), they keep adjusting themselves i.e. drooping few minutes after I adjust them.

Is there a DIY mod to make the mirrors (just the mirror, not the stem) tight - I need to adjust the mirror to the highest rightmost position to get a decent view of what's behind me.

Are there any good quality replacements for these from RE or from some other brand? Anybody in Mumbai who can do this for me?

Thanks!
Old 9th November 2015, 11:35   #2059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Hi

I have a TB500 and am a bit fed up of the side mirrors. Firstly, they seem to be too small in the field of view they offer (personal opinion after 1000kms). Secondly (and more dangerous), they keep adjusting themselves i.e. drooping few minutes after I adjust them.

Is there a DIY mod to make the mirrors (just the mirror, not the stem) tight - I need to adjust the mirror to the highest rightmost position to get a decent view of what's behind me.

Are there any good quality replacements for these from RE or from some other brand? Anybody in Mumbai who can do this for me?

Thanks!
You can try the ones from the Avenger.Myself using them on my DS and found to be quite effective than the stock.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 12:04   #2060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
You can try the ones from the Avenger.Myself using them on my DS and found to be quite effective than the stock.
I won't reiterate it again about the usefulness of the Avenger mirrors(have them fitted on my Standard Bullet 1996). I had posted about the same query for another Tbird500 owner about the stock mirror issue and going ahead with Avenger mirrors. Good choice rakesh_r mate.
navin_v8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 12:52   #2061
BHPian

Quote:
it's no longer the Electra. It's called the Bullet 350 and it comes with a heavy crank as well. The only difference now between the Std 350 and this bike are the additions of a disc brake, gas shocks, electric start and of course the Electra looks.
In the official RE website, the technical specification for electra model doesn't exist anymore. The same tech spec as the standard 350 is being shown for electra as well. However for all other models, a different tech specification gets displayed.

@tharian: I fully agree with you sir, I have also test driven all the models of the RE (except cafe racer) and electra felt very smooth. I went to book a classic 350, but after test drive, changed my mind and booked electra on 30 Sep 2015, and yes, the delivery lead time was only 15 days in Bangalore, which for classic was more than 3 months.

How do you know about the heavy crank? it is not mentioned anywhere.
Old 9th November 2015, 13:10   #2062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyasagar View Post

How do you know about the heavy crank? it is not mentioned anywhere.
I had gone to the new brand showroom in BTM and since it is a company showroom, it had all the models for test except the Std 350. When I inquired why is when I was informed they are the same mechanically. I hadn't noticed Electra is not mentioned on the bike anymore until then.

I rode the Classic 350 and the the Bullet 350 back to back to feel if there is any difference and there is a negligible increase in torque in higher gears compared to the Classic.
Old 9th November 2015, 15:02   #2063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I rode the Classic 350 and the the Bullet 350 back to back to feel if there is any difference and there is a negligible increase in torque in higher gears compared to the Classic.
Can it be attributed to the different tyre size?I guess the electra comes with an 19 inch rear wheel.
And yes the word electra has been discontinued.It's Bullet 350.Regarding the heavy crank,I think only the standard has it.I see lot of people at least in Pune going only for the standard just to get the heavy crank.
Old 10th November 2015, 16:23   #2064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
I won't reiterate it again about the usefulness of the Avenger mirrors(have them fitted on my Standard Bullet 1996). I had posted about the same query for another Tbird500 owner about the stock mirror issue and going ahead with Avenger mirrors. Good choice rakesh_r mate.
Cool. Any idea where I can get a pair in Mumbai? Searched online, but didn't find it.
Old 10th November 2015, 16:56   #2065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Cool. Any idea where I can get a pair in Mumbai? Searched online, but didn't find it.
You can buy it any bike accessories shop which stocks Bajaj genuine parts or Bajaj service centre store itself. Make sure you take your Tbird along with you to see if the mirrors screw in properly into the grooves. I took my Standard 1996 along with me while buying the avenger mirror, fortunately it was a bolt on. I think if Desert Storm takes those mirrors then your Tbird should take it too. But still take your bike along to check before getting it fitted.
Old 10th November 2015, 17:58   #2066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Can it be attributed to the different tyre size?I guess the electra comes with an 19 inch rear wheel.
And yes the word electra has been discontinued.It's Bullet 350.Regarding the heavy crank,I think only the standard has it.I see lot of people at least in Pune going only for the standard just to get the heavy crank.
I too was of the same thought.
Let me ride a Std 350 and confirm since both Electra and Std have the same wheel size.
Old 11th November 2015, 10:11   #2067
BHPian

Quote:
Got a chance to ride 7 different models from the RE stable today, all run less than a thousand on the odo.

But I was sold on the Std 500.
Whoa - how did you manage to get to test ride 7 models? new shop or you know the guy?
have got an invite to visit a new RE showroom opening on 22nd. If you let me know how you handled it, I can try the same to get a TD on those models . Are you planning to get a new RE?

Std 500 is really good. ~2000 done on my new one. The guy runs like a horse on (something stimulating).
Old 11th November 2015, 10:18   #2068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
Whoa - how did you manage to get to test ride 7 models? new shop or you know the guy?
have got an invite to visit a new RE showroom opening on 22nd. If you let me know how you handled it, I can try the same to get a TD on those models . Are you planning to get a new RE?

Std 500 is really good. ~2000 done on my new one. The guy runs like a horse on (something stimulating).
Yes, I know the guy who is the showroom manager of a recently opened brand showroom here.

Well, I am waiting for the Himalayan to decide if my next bike will be a RE or not.

Yes, STD 500 was the most enjoyable of the lot, probably because it reminded me of my 96' 500.
Back then when it was available , the cast iron 500 gave a similar feel with of course lower power.
Old 11th November 2015, 23:58   #2069
BHPian

Hi did any one did a self service of their Royal Enfield 350 cc (UCE)?, if yes could you pls share the DIY steps with the parts used in the service and the costs involved and some videos if made.
Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 22:50   #2070
BHPian

Hi guys, I have a 1992 Bullet, right side gears. I'm looking to get new tyres for it. Bike is stock. Could you guys kindly suggest the best tyres for my bike? Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks