Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2015, 10:53   #2041
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Hey Guys,

I've ordered a Glass wool goldstar from Sans inc yesterday.
Other than the thump, would there be any noticeable performance gains?
I mean would high speed cruising be more relaxed? More mid range? Mine is a Bullet 500 (2015 model) UCE.

Thanks in advance!
Old 3rd November 2015, 11:36   #2042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
I've ordered a Glass wool goldstar from Sans inc yesterday. Other than the thump, would there be any noticeable performance gains? I mean would high speed cruising be more relaxed? More mid range? Mine is a Bullet 500 (2015 model) UCE.
Mate the goldstar glass wool silencer will give you a deeper bassier thump. There won't be any significant performance gains over the stock OE silencer unless you change the air filter to a performance air filter(and related air-fuel tuning). If you mean high speed cruising being more relaxed with regards to engine sound then nothing comes close to the stock OE silencer in terms of relaxed cruising. About the increased mid range it will be very marginal or even negligible to notice. I will suggest you to retain your OE silencer just in case you want to fit it back after experiencing the goldstar glass wool silencer.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 11:53   #2043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
If you mean high speed cruising being more relaxed with regards to engine sound then nothing comes close to the stock OE silencer in terms of relaxed cruising.
I mean the engine would breath better with the Goldie and rev freely with reduction in back pressure right? So, at high rpm the engine would feel more relaxed right? If the back pressure reduces I might get some more bhp's at high rpm? Low end would go down marginally, but that's ok. I could be wrong here.
Old 3rd November 2015, 11:53   #2044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Other than the thump, would there be any noticeable performance gains?
I mean would high speed cruising be more relaxed? More mid range? Mine is a Bullet 500 (2015 model) UCE.
IMHO, the performance gain for switching to just a free flowing exhaust is thoroughly negligible and is mostly a placebo effect due to the throatier sound. But the engine will be revving more freely throughout its rev range due to reduced backpressure. Regarding highspeed cruising, the stock exhaust will be more smoother than a free flow one.
man_of_steel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 12:10   #2045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
the stock exhaust will be more smoother than a free flow one.
Smoother as in the sound & vibrations? or the engine would feel smoother?
Old 3rd November 2015, 12:34   #2046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I mean the engine would breath better with the Goldie and rev freely with reduction in back pressure right? So, at high rpm the engine would feel more relaxed right? If the back pressure reduces I might get some more bhp's at high rpm? Low end would go down marginally, but that's ok. I could be wrong here.
+1 to man_of_steel, as he rightly pointed out swapping exhaust on a RE gives just a placebo effect. As the sound gets louder one gets a feeling one is going faster. As far as I know a goldstar glasswool silencer is a not a free flow silencer. It would be having conical baffles and glasswool stuffed in to give that deeper bassier thump. On the contrary free flow exhaust reduces the engine's shelf life if the air/fuel tuning is not done properly. A free flow exhaust should be coupled with a performance air filter in addition to tuning the air/fuel mixture to improve the performance. But all these mods will marginally increase the power and it wont be even noticeable while cruising. Not worth it IMHO.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 12:35   #2047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sound - Depends on the exhaust you use. But for touring purposes, the rule of thumb is- The quiter, the less exhausting (mentally).

Vibration and overall smoothness of the engine - There won't be any changes here.

Quote:
As far as I know a goldstar glasswool silencer is a not a free flow silencer. It would be having conical baffles and glasswool stuffed in to give that deeper bassier thump.
Both types are available. With baffles and without it. I have used both on my RE. My first was a G* with baffle but without glasswool and the second was an open core with glasswool.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 3rd November 2015 at 12:38.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 12:37   #2048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mate smoother in terms of both sound as well as vibrations. Both are inversely related to an RE in case of a silencer. The smoothness(both sound and vibrations) of the engine while cruising with the OE stock silencer will be unmatched compared to a free flow, glasswool or conical baffles type silencer.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 12:40   #2049
BHPian

Quote:
As far as I know a goldstar glasswool silencer is a not a free flow silencer. It would be having conical baffles and glasswool stuffed in to give that deeper bassier thump.
Quote:
Sound - Depends on the exhaust you use. But for touring purposes, the rule of thumb is- The quiter, the less exhausting (mentally).

Vibration and overall smoothness of the engine - There won't be any changes here.
Thanks for the info guys. Yes the glasswool goldie is not a complete free flow and has a conical baffle with glasswool stuffed in the middle. I've been missing the thump so desperately need this But as you guys said I would keep my stock bazooka in case the noise is too much on long rides.
Old 3rd November 2015, 12:47   #2050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes the glasswool goldie is not a complete free flow and has a conical baffle with glasswool stuffed in the middle.
Not nitpicking but the glasswool is not stuffed in the middle of the exhaust but rather around it. There will usually be two outer layers and glasswool will be stuffed in this space all throughout the exhaust.

Just go for the goldstar for the sound. It will transform the feel of your RE and you will enjoy it. Use ear plugs and it will be comfortable for long rides too.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 12:50   #2051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've been missing the thump so desperately need this
Aah the Thump enough said mate. That mystical sound that binds all the Bulleteer's together and also makes them fight with each other as to whose thump is the best. I see people chasing the Thump relentlessly and going over a sea of silencers to get that perfect Thump belted out by those legendary CI engines(now out of production). It is almost like attaining nirvana. Happy Choosing.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 13:50   #2052
BHPian

Quote:
Not nitpicking but the glasswool is not stuffed in the middle of the exhaust but rather around it. There will usually be two outer layers and glasswool will be stuffed in this space all throughout the exhaust.

Just go for the goldstar for the sound. It will transform the feel of your RE and you will enjoy it. Use ear plugs and it will be comfortable for long rides too.
Yes, I meant in the middle of the perforated baffle and the outer metal sheet I can hardly wait for the goldie to arrive!!
Just another question, does the glasswool need replacement after say 5000 kms? I read about this somewhere, not sure though.
Old 4th November 2015, 12:58   #2053
BHPian

Thanks Navin! Got it replaced. This is old hose looked.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Queries-dsc_0142.jpg  

Old 4th November 2015, 14:16   #2054

Quote:
I have come across some riders who have opted for Ralco tyres but never got a chance to interact with them about the feedback on these tyres. Kindly share some more feedback with regards to wear and tear and rubber compound. Looking at the average wet grip I believe it has hard compound rubber. But I maybe wrong as it is a brand new tyre and will need some time to break in. It would be great if you can share some more feedback.
Hi Navin,
I have been riding on this tyre for a month only, so it will be too early to comment; but i would say it certainly offers better grip on bends, I feel more confident while leaning the bike a bit. I rode in rains a week ago, and I could feel the improved rear braking too. Since the options are very less I would recommend this tyre than the stock MRF.
Old 4th November 2015, 16:40   #2055
BHPian

Quote:

I would also suggest Greasehouse thumper ! I have tried a wildboar, goldie and thumper. Greasehouse is the closest to the stock in terms of performance.

Goldie increased my low and mid range but top end suffered.

Greasehouse thumper gives a very subtle bassy note, you will love it if you want a slightly louder exhaust than stock.

If you want it even louder and bassier, wild boar is quite loud and free flowing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks