Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2015, 12:36   #1996
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Dear fellow Bulleteers,

I have recently got myself an Bullet electra, and have just completed the first service. I am in love with the machine, and look forward for the ride back home everyday from lunch time itelf from my office.

The only grouse that I have got is that ugly gap between the tyre and the rear fender in electra (my personal opinion only).

I tried searching through the forum for solutions, and couldn't get any clear directions.

My idea is to replace the rear fender of the electra, with the one from Bullet 500, along with the seat stays. I am ok to put a black rear fender in electra, rather than a chrome one.

Is this possible as a direct fit? I already replaced the rear tail lamp assembly from the classic 350, thinking it would improve the looks, and it did, however only to an extent.

It would be great if some one would post pics of similar mod, or share a link.

Also is it possible to replace the fork covers at the front shocks with the fork covers like classic 350/standard 350 / bullet 500, any pointers would be much appreciated.
Old 14th October 2015, 14:25   #1997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyasagar View Post
Dear fellow Bulleteers,

I have recently got myself an Bullet electra, and have just completed the first service. I am in love with the machine, and look forward for the ride back home everyday from lunch time itelf from my office.

The only grouse that I have got is that ugly gap between the tyre and the rear fender in electra (my personal opinion only).

I tried searching through the forum for solutions, and couldn't get any clear directions.

My idea is to replace the rear fender of the electra, with the one from Bullet 500, along with the seat stays. I am ok to put a black rear fender in electra, rather than a chrome one.

Is this possible as a direct fit? I already replaced the rear tail lamp assembly from the classic 350, thinking it would improve the looks, and it did, however only to an extent.

It would be great if some one would post pics of similar mod, or share a link.

Also is it possible to replace the fork covers at the front shocks with the fork covers like classic 350/standard 350 / bullet 500, any pointers would be much appreciated.
Firstly the rear seat stay support will have to be replaced from the curved one to the rectangular one. There are chromed ones similar to the Bullet 500's rear fenders, available aftermarket. These used to come in bullet delux afaik in the pre 80s bikes.

As for the front forks, just buy the fork covers (also called "batla" in desi language) and they can be easily fitted by just removing the headlight and T-stem.

This pic shows the rear fender of your choice in chrome. (the pic is not mine and is taken from internet just for representational purpose). The red coloured rear seat support is the rectangular type one and can be directly fitted by removing the round ones found on your bike. The seat might need some minor jugaad, as the electra and bullet 500 seats are different. Small seat clamps will do the trick easily.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Queries-bullet.jpg  

Old 14th October 2015, 14:38   #1998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only grouse that I have got is that ugly gap between the tyre and the rear fender in electra (my personal opinion only). My idea is to replace the rear fender of the electra, with the one from Bullet 500. Is this possible as a direct fit?
vidyasagar mate very few people buy this underrated motorcycle from RE. In fact I find this as the best overall package both feature as well looks wise. I was so much in love with the Electra's design that I transformed my Bullet Standard CI 350 to Electra. Well about the gap between the fender and the tyre I find it really cool, but all of us are different and have different tastes. There are very few options some are simple whereas some of them require surgery(like plastic surgery in humans) to the body. The way plastic surgery ruins and damages the natural look of humans similarly these surgeries ruins the overall characteristics of the motorcycle, in this case the Electra. The easiest way to reduce the gap is by adjusting the rear suspension pre loader to its lowest point, but beware your ride will become more stiffer. Since Electra already comes with 19 inch rear wheels there is no option to upsize, however you can look at 3.50 inch tyre instead of the OEM 3.25 inch, albeit I think this will hardly make any difference to the gap. The more radical approach(surgery) is wherein the chassis itself is cut to lower the overall height (not recommended). As you have in mind you can fit Bullet 350/500 rear mudguard with stays on your Electra but keep it mind the slim front fender will not match the butch look of the rear fender. It may look a bit odd. You can see the yesteryears model Bullet Machismo AVL 350/500 for reference which is fitted with both front(without stays) and rear fat fenders to know what I am saying.

Quote:
I already replaced the rear tail lamp assembly from the classic 350, thinking it would improve the looks, and it did, however only to an extent.
I fitted my Standard transformed Electra with Machismo AVL/Thunderbird AVL tail lamp. It looks cool and does its job very well.

Quote:
The front shock on the Electra is different from Classic and Standard models. The fork covers of the Classic and Standard will not fit on the Electra's existing set up besides it will keep hitting the front fender due to lack of gap. You will need to change the entire fork assembly to achieve this. One easier way is to opt for rubber cover gaiters again this look comes from RE Bullet Machismo. Refer to Bullet Machismo or exported model called G5(which is nothing but a 500cc Electra) pictures for reference.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 14th October 2015 at 14:44.
Old 14th October 2015, 16:12   #1999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
vidyasagar mate very few people buy this underrated motorcycle from RE.
Ya navin_V8, perhaps one reason, i got the bike delivered in 10 days flat. (In Bangalore, from the RE brand store)

Thank you for the information regararding the front fork covers, I will stay away from std/classic styled ones, will try the rubber gaitors that you mentioned.

The seats of bullet 500 and electra look so similar to the naked eye, perhaps I could be wrong here.
Old 14th October 2015, 19:05   #2000
BHPian

Quote:
The only grouse that I have got is that ugly gap between the tyre and the rear fender in electra (my personal opinion only)
You are not alone kind sir Even I hate that gap. However it exists for reason.

But you can reduce that gap by changing the mounting points of the stays onto the rear mudguard, this would involve drilling of the rear mudguard, something tells me you wouldn't wanna do that.

Getting the D shaped rear fender and the associated stays should set you back by about 2500 Rs, during my last purchase. Quite easy to install. I suggest that you buy the fat front fender too to replace the thinner electra fender.

As Navin rightly pointed out the shock covers would rub on the front fender.

Regards,

BOV
Old 14th October 2015, 20:42   #2001
BHPian

Quote:
My idea is to replace the rear fender of the electra, with the one from Bullet 500, along with the seat stays. I am ok to put a black rear fender in electra, rather than a chrome one. .... .
Did you consider the Classic's fender?, it looks deeper than Electra's.
For front forks iirc you could replace just the bottom sliders from classic, not full forkset & then put on the covers.
Old 15th October 2015, 09:00   #2002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
Did you consider the Classic's fender?, it looks deeper than Electra's.
Rennjit, I did not consider the fender from classic for 2 reasons:
1. The 19" tyre could rub against the fender, on bad roads, especially with a pillion.
2. The chassis of the classic is slightly different than STD / Electra, so fitting this might involve some welding etc, which I want to avoid, preference is a straight fitting mod only.

Replacing the front fender is a great idea, however, I plan to do it at a later stage.
Old 15th October 2015, 09:33   #2003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Replacing the front fender is a great idea, however, I plan to do it at a later stage.
Mate I hope you have seen the front fender of RE Machismo AVL 350/500. The front fender is the same that is used in Export models that used to be called Bullet Deluxe and now presently G5(as in Electra in India). The beauty of this butch fender is that it can be bolted onto the existing forks without any mods as it does not come with stays, instead it uses thick brackets in the middle which connects to the forks(the forks of Electra do not have mounting points for stays that comes with Standard Bullet front fender). The rear fender(box type) on the Machismo is the same as that of a Standard Bullet. This is a set up which might appeal to you.

Take a look at the Bullet Machismo on this thread(Post no.31) to get an idea about the butch looking fenders and fork rubber gaiters:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...o-green-3.html

Hope this helps.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 15th October 2015 at 09:35.
Old 15th October 2015, 10:21   #2004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
First I reduced the lighting load on the battery by about 30% by switching to LED lamps in brake lights, trafficators, pilot lamps, as well the LEDs in the console. I also tried a LED headlamp but the focus was not very good so I switched to Osram Night breakers.
Hi Can you please tell me if
-The replacements were just plug play or you had to do any changes to the holders or wiring
-In case of the trafficators did you have to introduce any resistors. I remember reading that since the wattage is low the trafficators blink rapidly and need resistors to be connected.
Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 13:37   #2005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Hi Can you please tell me if
-The replacements were just plug play or you had to do any changes to the holders or wiring
-In case of the trafficators did you have to introduce any resistors.
Mate all the replacements are plug & play. They are identified by their holder type as follows: (Disclaimer: pls double check your bike's specific bulbs especially the console because there can be minor variations between different year RE models)

Tail Light: BAY15D
Pilot Lamp: BA9S
Trafficators: BA15S
Speedo Console: BA9S

As for the trafficator, yes resistors will work, but cleanest solution is to replace the 12V flasher unit itself.

The replacement part number is CF12ANL-01. A typical one looks something like this
(appearance & shape can vary between manufacturers)

Royal Enfield Queries-cf12anl01ledflasherstore.jpg
outofthebox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 17:17   #2006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
Mate all the replacements are plug & play.
Thanks a lot for the detailed and immediate response. The details are really helpful. This weekend I will check the type of holders and then order the lamps. It has been a while since I did any sort of DIY on my bike.
Old 16th October 2015, 09:43   #2007
BHPian

After a long hard ride last Saturday over bad roads and some highway, my B500's tank has started to buzz when the rpm goes up (I don't have a tachometer so not really sure of the exact rpm). I owned a t'bird earlier and I am used to this But this time I don't want to go to the SVC for fixing this issue and instead I want to fix it! Can you gurus please help me locating the nuts/points where I need to tighten my tank? Is there a specific torque I have to apply? Do I have to remove my seat? Can I place some rubber packing at the contact points to avoid this buzzing in future?
The buzzing (vibrating) sound due to resonance is really annoying.
Thanks in advance!
Old 16th October 2015, 11:24   #2008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
After a long hard ride last Saturday over bad roads and some highway, my B500's tank has started to buzz when the rpm goes up (I don't have a tachometer so not really sure of the exact rpm). I owned a t'bird earlier and I am used to this But this time I don't want to go to the SVC for fixing this issue and instead I want to fix it! Can you gurus please help me locating the nuts/points where I need to tighten my tank? Is there a specific torque I have to apply? Do I have to remove my seat? Can I place some rubber packing at the contact points to avoid this buzzing in future?
The buzzing (vibrating) sound due to resonance is really annoying.
Thanks in advance!
I would suggest to also tighten all engine foundation bolts and the engine head stay clamp.The UCE's tend to vibrate more especially when the head stay is loose.For the tank you need to remove the seat to tighten the bolt at the back.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 10:15   #2009
BHPian

Hello riders!
So it was time to change the rear tyre of the RE TBTS, the MRF Meteor 110/90 19 did its duty well and had started showing its age as it lasted for around 25k kms. So the hunt for the tyre began and as I had good experience of the Meteor started my search for the same, the hunt lasted for about two weeks and during that time there were varied replies from various dealers ranging from 'woh tyre band ho gaya TO kyu woh fail tyre le rahe ho,waise bhi maal nahi aa raha hai OR change rim to 18 inch and you will have good choice I said no way I am spending on changing rim sizes so the hunt continued.
There were other options available like the NYLOGRIP from MRF and Ceat Secura but I was not happy looking at the slim/ narrow tyres.
So while searching I came across this brand Ralson: Ralco Speed Blaster 110/90 19 and it looked pretty solid. a quick check online revealed somewhat positive reviews and therefore went for it. This is a tubeless type tyre, however I used my earlier MRF tube which was still in good shape. The fit was a bit tight and there is almost no gap between the swing arm and the tyre and I still feel the chain rubbing with the tyre (got rid of the metal chain guard long time back). But the tyre moves freely and as per my previous experience this phase would pass in time after some running.
So far the tyre has done about 600kms and I can say with some conviction the ride is positive and confidence inspiring.
Image from the internet
Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Queries-ralco.jpg  

Old 20th October 2015, 13:36   #2010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
Hello riders!

So while searching I came across this brand Ralson: Ralco Speed Blaster 110/90 19 and it looked pretty solid. a quick check online revealed somewhat positive reviews and therefore went for it. This is a tubeless type tyre, however I used my earlier MRF tube which was still in good shape. The fit was a bit tight and there is almost no gap between the swing arm and the tyre and I still feel the chain rubbing with the tyre (got rid of the metal chain guard long time back). But the tyre moves freely and as per my previous experience this phase would pass in time after some running.
So far the tyre has done about 600kms and I can say with some conviction the ride is positive and confidence inspiring.

Cheers!
Even I am looking for a good option as there isn't much choice in 19 inch rims. Can you tell me the price of this one?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks