Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2015, 10:48   #1876
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanu2k15 View Post
Also any suggestion about the mud guard racing stripes? It would look awesome with a stripe similar to its big brother.
Mate you can get those racing stripes either painted or stickered using 3M golden coloured sticker. Any motorcycle radium sticker shop will do it for you. Remember the sticker can peel off overtime so you can add a clear coat lacquer paint on the mudguards after getting the sticker job done. The mudguards will have to be removed for this activity. This will involve cost and labour so bear this in mind and take a quotation from a painter before going ahead with the decision.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 12:29   #1877
Distinguished - BHPian

Mr.O

You are welcome.

I really don't have knowledge of the CDI's that might be available in your area of India but I'm sure others will be able to help with the types and costs of them.

Typically, CDI units often deliver a slightly hotter spark and once adjusted they seldom require further attention.

I know several people here in the US who have installed them in their Iron Barrel Royal Enfields and they are quite happy with the results.

That said, there is nothing really wrong with the old fashioned ignition points and condenser design that has been in use for over 100 years. They are simple and easy to care for.

Their one weakness is the contacts can develop corrosion that diminishes the strength of the spark and they do require occasional adjustment due to wear of the phenolic cam follower block.

This cam follower wear can be minimized by carefully lubricating the points cam with a very thin coating of grease.
Almost any kind of automotive grease can be used and it only takes enough to slightly coat the surface of the ignition points cam.
The only mistake people make is thinking if some is good, more is better.
This is not true in this case as excess grease can fly off of the lobe and contaminate the ignition points.

The only other thing that can break down over time is the condenser.

The condenser's job is to prevent arcing of the point contacts when they open and close. If the condenser develops a internal break down, the points will spark with every opening and this can soon ruin them.

If the condition of the points contact surfaces looks good, your condenser is good.
If the points look like they have been arcing (sparking), replace the condenser and use a fine pitch flat file to file the roughness off of their contact surface, reset the points gap to .36-.40mm, readjust the ignition timing and you should not have further problems for thousands of km.

Just replacing the points and condenser is another inexpensive option that will last even longer.
ArizonaJim is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 19:15   #1878
Senior - BHPian

clutch/1st gear noise?

In my ~10 year old CI bullet (5-speed) I am noticing a slight hum when clutch lever is pulled in and first gear is engaged and I am standing still. This is only noticeable at a quite place. Can't hear the noise if I wear a full face helmet. Don't remember if I heard it before when bike was new.

Bike has done about 20,000 kilometers and the clutch set is original that came from the showroom. I have not adjusted the primary chain for quite sometime but have been DIY maintaining and changing oil regularly.

Anything serious or I can ignore it?

tia,
-BJ
Old 31st August 2015, 20:59   #1879
BANNED

Re: Bullet Thunderbird TBTS 500 versus KTM Duke 390?

I am posting in this thread - As a prospective buyer.

Visited RE showroom that has opened recently near home. Went there directly asking for Thunderbird 500. I wasn't even interested in their rest line-up as I am pretty clear on what I wanted.

The TD was 15 kms long and I was alone during the TD, the TD bike had 5K on the odometer and was well maintained.

A few points observed*:
  • Great seats;

• Foot pegs are placed way front as compared to my Karizma (Comfortable though);

• Wide handlebar end making one sit with arms open but that isn't tiring in anyway;

• With a straight and upright position, I expect fantastic touring abilities but I have come across one thread of pain in the tailbone of one rider - Hope I don't encounter this.

• I am 5'11' and weigh 70kgs, it was a bit difficult to move the bike around with human power but it isn't a deal-breaker but the same feeling was erased once the bike was in motion.

• Good headlights (mighty impressed)

• Phenomenal acceleration as compared to my current steed.
*I own a 2009 Karizma R, so all opinions are based on the riding experience I have till date with the Karizma.

I have received the quote for the bike:
  • Ex-Showroom: ₹178925
  • Life Tax @ 9%: ₹16103
  • Normal Insurance: ₹4706
  • OTR: ₹1,99,734
  • 0-Dep Insurance: ₹6450
  • OTR (with 0-Dep): ₹2,01,478

Booking amount is ₹5000 and delivery is expected within 15 days from booking.

I already have a car on my name so I expect the Life tax to become 12% (IIRC) and what is the 0-Dep insurance? Is it worth it? Going by the reputation of RE's in general, I guess getting the 0-Dep is the best. Has anyone gone with this offer?

Last edited by a4anurag : 31st August 2015 at 21:00.
Old 31st August 2015, 21:47   #1880
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The TD was 15 kms long and I was alone during the TD, the TD bike had 5K on the odometer and was well maintained.
I too was allowed to test-ride Thunderbird 500 as per my choice and the salesman did not accompany me. I was given a brand new helmet too for the test-ride.
Quote:
I am 5'11' and weigh 70kg
I am a six-footer, weighing 90 kg. I got adjusted to the manual-moving of the bird in very short time. I used to ride Suzuki Fiero earlier.
Quote:
delivery is expected within 15 days from booking.
I got my bird delivered after 5 months from the date of booking. With the opening of their new plant at Oragadam, waiting period has been drastically reduced.
Quote:
Is it worth it?
I don't think so. Royal Enfield has been very generous in accepting the warranty claims, which is now 2 years or 20 k km, whichever is earlier. After the expiry of warranty, it is better to go in for the third-party insurance.
Quote:
Advance congratulations and best wishes, irrespective of your final decision.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st September 2015 at 06:34. Reason: Deleting extra smiley.
  (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 10:30   #1881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Visited RE showroom that has opened recently near home. Went there directly asking for Thunderbird 500. I wasn't even interested in their rest line-up as I am pretty clear on what I wanted.
a4anurag mate half of your decision is made. The other half is buying it.

Quote:
I own a 2009 Karizma R, so all opinions are based on the riding experience I have till date with the Karizma.
Mate one of my cousin to was in your shoes when he was in a dilemma of changing over from his ageing Karizma R to a new motorcycle. He test rode the Tbird500 but was put off by its weight and heft. He then test rode the KTM Duke 390 while it was just launched in 2013. I saw him riding the Duke 390 after 3 weeks. Says it all. I would suggest you to take a test ride of the Duke 390 before signing the dotted line for Tbird500. Of course Tbird500 is a good bike in its own regard(I own one,) but the Duke 390 is a different beast altogether with specifications, equipment and features that is hard to beat. This is based on my experience of exchanging my Tbird500 with Duke390 with my cousin for long and short rides. Just to highlight a few. The KTM Duke 390 comes with:
1. Water cooled engine with 43 BHP and 35 NM of Torque coupled with a six speed transmission
2. Bosch 2 channel ABS(which can be switched off) and EFi alongwith Slipper Clutch
3. Nikasil coated cylinder, USD WP forks and mono shock
4. Trellis frame and die cast swing arm
5. Metzeler Tyres and many more...

All the best with your decision.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 11:58   #1882
BHPian

Quote:
Normal Insurance: ₹4706
0-Dep Insurance: ₹6450

what is the 0-Dep insurance? Is it worth it? Going by the reputation of RE's in general, I guess getting the 0-Dep is the best.
There are 3 basic types of covers available for 2 wheelers.

Third Party (Only Govt Act Insurance)
Comprehensive (Own Vehicle Damages + Third Party)
0 Depreciation (Enhanced cover on Own Vehicle damages + Third Party)

In Third party insurance, your own vehicle wont be covered for any damages occurred but will protect you from any financial damages caused to the third party (first party being you, second party being the insurance company and third party is anyone other than the first two)

Comprehensive Insurance Covers the third party by default plus any damages occurred to your own vehicle but in case of an accident, the parts which are replaced are covered at a depreciated value. (for eg any plastic part would be covered only 50% of its cost, any metal part would be depreciated according to the age of the vehicle)

0 Depreciation Insurance covers these parts depreciation's additionally by taking a higher premium (in your case approx 1750/-)

Although 0 dep insurance makes sense for higher value vehicles whose parts are expensive. In case of RE the parts aren't that expensive per-se.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I don't think so. Royal Enfield has been very generous in accepting the warranty claims, which is now 2 years or 20 k km, whichever is earlier. After the expiry of warranty, it is better to go in for the third-party insurance.
I respect your view sir, but I guess you are mistaking warranty with insurance.

In case of warranty the manufacturing defects are covered whereas in insurance the damages occurred are covered.

In case of the theft of your vehicle the insurance will cover your loss. Hence even after the expiry of warranty or during warranty RE wont cover the theft of your vehicle.

Even in warranty period RE wont cover the accidental damages. Hence in my opinion comprehensive insurance is a must, as third party is inbuilt and the premiums are only marginally higher than third party stand alone insurances.
The Great is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 12:11   #1883
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Advance congratulations and best wishes, irrespective of your final decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
a4anurag mate half of your decision is made. The other half is buying it.
Apologies from my side. I forgot to add one disclaimer. A very important one.

I just posted in this thread because I didn't want to make a new one specific to RE TBTS 500. The KTM 390 isn't there in my list. I didn't consider that vehicle at all (No offence to anyone). That hooliganism etc that's associated with the KTM isn't my cup of tea. I did TD the bike and instantly ruled out (by wife!!) thanks to its rear seat.

I am a sedate cruiser hence I chose the RE TBTS 500.

If I do upgrade, the RE is the bike I'm looking for. Was needing opinion on the RE. Hence my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
There are 3 basic types of covers available for 2 wheelers.
Thank you for the explanation. So it is the 0-Dep that I'll go with.

Last edited by a4anurag : 1st September 2015 at 12:18.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 12:55   #1884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just posted in this thread because I didn't want to make a new one specific to RE TBTS 500.
Mate you can create a post in Royal Enfield Queries section

P.S. Mods if possible kindly shift this post and the series of posts to the correct thread.

Quote:
The KTM 390 isn't there in my list. I didn't consider that vehicle at all (No offence to anyone). That hooliganism etc that's associated with the KTM isn't my cup of tea. I did TD the bike and instantly ruled out (by wife!!) thanks to its rear seat. I am a sedate cruiser hence I chose the RE TBTS 500.
As you have ruled out KTM Duke 390, the RE Tbird500 is a good option considering your riding style. I own a Tbird500 as well as a Tbird AVL 350. The pillion comfort on Tbird500 is very subjective. Some find it small and hard whereas others find it adequate. Speaking from my experience, most of the pillions sitting on my Tbird500 have complained about small and hard rear seat. In fact my sister prefers my Standard 350 whenever she has to ride pillion due to the unmatched comfort the legendary step up one piece single seat offers. Of course you will have a plethora of options to customize the seat if your wife does not find the stock seat comfortable. I have an ownership thread on my Tbird500, you can go through it as well as J.Ravi sir's thread to get an idea about the overall dynamics and behaviour of the Tbird500.
Old 1st September 2015, 12:58   #1885
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Mate you can create a post in Royal Enfield Queries section.

I have an ownership thread on my Tbird500, you can go through it as well as J.Ravi sir's thread to get an idea about the overall dynamics and behaviour of the Tbird500.
The RE queries section send technical I didn't post there. Apologies! Shall report my post to move it.

I have read your review and J. Ravi Sir 's multiple times.
Old 1st September 2015, 13:15   #1886
BHPian

Re: clutch/1st gear noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
In my ~10 year old CI bullet (5-speed) I am noticing a slight hum when clutch lever is pulled in and first gear is engaged and I am standing still.
I have not adjusted the primary chain for quite sometime but have been DIY maintaining and changing oil regularly.

Anything serious or I can ignore it?

-BJ
You should never ignore an unusual sound that comes from your motorcycle. That is the golden rule for not getting stranded somewhere.

I think you should first check and adjust the primary chain tension and see if the humming ceases.

If it still persists, then the next thing is to see if it is present in neutral gear or only when the motorcycle is in gear with the clutch dis engaged.

It could be anything from loose body panels vibrating, an air leak in intake manifold or a failing clutch bearing.

Please identify the source of the sound and confirm that it is harmless.

Last edited by adrian : 1st September 2015 at 13:20.
adrian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 13:21   #1887
Senior - BHPian

Hi Anurag,

This ....

Quote:
  • Foot pegs are placed way front as compared to my Karizma (Comfortable though);
Is related to this ....

Quote:
  • With a straight and upright position, I expect fantastic touring abilities but I have come across one thread of pain in the tailbone of one rider
The pillion seat of the older Thunderbirds was always a pain for pillions. The worst (by a big margin) were those of the Classics. Oh man, my bum just shrivels at the memory ....

Have not personally experienced the TBird 500 pillion seat. But of all the Bullets, the stepped one on the Std 500 is absolutely the best.

We riders are the worst judges of that to be honest, because we spend so little time there, if at all.

The experience and opinion of senior pillions (most old Bullet clubs have these - honorary members, who have sat behind husbands, boyfriends over long distances, multiple rides, multiple multi-day tours) is THE barometer I would trust on this.
Old 1st September 2015, 13:23   #1888
Senior - BHPian

Re: clutch/1st gear noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
You should never ignore an unusual sound that comes from your motorcycle. That is the golden rule for not getting stranded somewhere.
Golden words bro.

Right up there with washing/cleaning your bike yourself instead of getting someone else to do it.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 15:13   #1889
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
I guess you are mistaking warranty with insurance.
Not at all. I know the differences between warranty and insurance and their terms and conditions. Let me make it clear. A doubt was raised about the reputation of Royal Enfield. In that connection, I clarified that Royal Enfield is very generous in accepting the warranty claims. Then, a point was raised about zero-depreciation insurance policy. I usually take comprehensive insurance for a new vehicle for the first two or three years. My past history indicates that I don't claim. Then, I convert it into a third-party insurance, taking a no-claim bonus certificate for the purchase of a new vehicle within the next 3 years. I followed the same for the purchase of my XUV 500 and the erstwhile Linea. Since my opinion was sought, I expressed it. That's all.
Quote:
Hence in my opinion comprehensive insurance is a must, as third party is inbuilt and the premiums are only marginally higher than third party stand alone insurances.
My Thunderbird 500 is now insured for the third-party-liability-only insurance, costing ₹ 1,049. The previous expired comprehensive insurance premium was ₹ 2,445 with 20% no-claim bonus. Thus, the net saving is ₹ 1,396 [2445-1049].

Last edited by J.Ravi : 1st September 2015 at 15:26.

Old 3rd September 2015, 12:27   #1890
BHPian

Hello...

We are a newly formed group by the name of Royal Riders here in Kanpur. I have a Desert Storm and when we ride in group on highways, we switch on our headlights so that we are able to locate the rider behind. The problem is that when the headlight is continuously on, the battery doesn't get charged for which i am looking for HID with Angel Eyes. I assume if i switch on Angel Eyes / DRL, i can be located easily from 200 to 300 meters and my battery will also get charged as HID won't be on.

For this i have zoomed in on http://www.mxsmotosport.com/projecto...l-eye-kit-1108 product.

Can anyone please guide me on this product or any other product that can serve my purpose?

Thanks & regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks