Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2015, 18:33   #1681
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

My Amun-Ra also seems to be longing for a new battery [12V 14AH]. Though there has been no instances till date, but off late I have observed that the horn does not blow when I just switch on the ignition, though bike starts. After bike has started up, while in low rev there will be no response from the horns but acceleration will emit the sound.

Indicators seems to be good and works even after just switching on the ignition. Horns(12v, 2.5 Amp X2) and battery are all stock with no electrical drawing equipment added to her.
Old 7th May 2015, 19:22   #1682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
My Amun-Ra also seems to be longing for a new battery [12V 14AH]. Though there has been no instances till date, but off late I have observed that the horn does not blow when I just switch on the ignition, though bike starts. After bike has started up, while in low rev there will be no response from the horns but acceleration will emit the sound.

Indicators seems to be good and works even after just switching on the ignition. Horns(12v, 2.5 Amp X2) and battery are all stock with no electrical drawing equipment added to her.
Hi Majumdarda,
let's get the right info and we can check for options outside , else we will need to pay RE the extra premium for the battery.

Regards,
Jimit
Old 7th May 2015, 20:14   #1683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
Hi Majumdarda,
let's get the right info and we can check for options outside , else we will need to pay RE the extra premium for the battery.
Jimmy_u I too have the Tbird500 and faced a faulty battery issue within 3 weeks of ownership and a mere 250 odd kms. RE Authorised Service Centre replaced the battery with a new one of the same make after 21 days

The original and the replaced battery were the same Exide 12V 14 Amps and I believe it retails around Rs. 2.6-2.8K.
Old 7th May 2015, 21:57   #1684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Jimmy_u I too have the Tbird500 and faced a faulty battery issue within 3 weeks of ownership and a mere 250 odd kms. RE Authorised Service Centre replaced the battery with a new one of the same make after 21 days

The original and the replaced battery were the same Exide 12V 14 Amps and I believe it retails around Rs. 2.6-2.8K.
Hi Navin,

Thanks for the reply, this is helpful, i got to know that RE is now shipping the new TBTS 500 with Amaron Batteries , the idea is to see if we can procure the model battery outside of RE and save some money

Regards,
Jimit
Old 8th May 2015, 01:38   #1685
BHPian

Dear All,

I own a Thunderbird 350 UCE (July 2013). Whenever we change engine oil, no matter how much perfectly we try to drain out the old engine oil, but a small amount of it will always remain inside. Also, it may contain thick oil/metal deposits or unwanted substance.

Before my next oil change, I wish to clean my engine and somehow get rid of it.
Please suggest how could I clean my engine from inside to remove remove such unwanted deposits.
Can it be cleaned using diesel or petrol or some other substance ?

Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 03:54   #1686
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhasker View Post
Dear All,

Before my next oil change, I wish to clean my engine and somehow get rid of it.
Please suggest how could I clean my engine from inside to remove remove such unwanted deposits.
Can it be cleaned using diesel or petrol or some other substance ?

Thanks
You are correct in saying that some oil will remain in the engine and this oil will be somewhat contaminated.

This is due to the basic design of the engine which has several areas which don't completely drain back into the oil tank at the bottom of the engine.
This is not unique to the Royal Enfields. It is common to all "dry sump" engines and some "wet sump" engines.

Knowing this, I must ask you, do you really want some raw diesel fuel, kerosene (coal oil), "Engine Flush" fluids or similar fluids to remain in your engine before you add your new oil? Bare in mind that these fluids will contaminate any new oil that you add to the engine.

IMO, it is far better to have a small quantity of "old oil" in your engine after you put in the new oil than it is to have diesel fuel, kerosene (coal oil) or some type of "Engine Flush" remain in the engine to contaminate the new oil.

The only safe way to clean out the old oil would be to first drain the oil from the engine. Then, refill the engine with new oil and start the engine.
After running the engine for a few minutes you would again drain out the oil which would remove some of the old oil.

The problem with this is it is like trying to get rid of a string by cutting it in half, throwing away one of the resulting pieces and then cutting the remaining piece in half. No matter how many times you cut the remaining string, there is always a piece left that needs to be cut in half.

Although it is good that you are concerned about having a little bit of the old oil left in the engine, I suggest you just drain the old oil, change the oil filter and refill the engine with the correct grade and type of oil.
The small amount of old oil will not cause any real harm and any bits of metal, dirt or carbon that is large enough to cause a problem will be trapped in the new oil filter.

Ride safe.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 8th May 2015 at 03:56.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 12:49   #1687
BHPian

Quote:

My suggestion would be to change it at the earliest. I learnt it the hard way. I used to ignore it, and finally it gave up when I least expected it ie. late in the night, when I had to travel the next day!! The vehicle would not start, and I was stranded with the bike, since it requires the battery both for starting and running it.

The next problem is that there are no choices for 14AH, only Exide (also I think SF Sonic makes them, not sure on it quality) makes them in India, apart from spurious models. Occasionally these are not avaialble, and the dealers have no clue when stocks would arrive (as happened to me in Jan)

I bought a spurious one only to move the bike back home before I travel out of town, and in 5 months I changed it back to Exide. The funniest part is the spurious one cost me more than the Exide.
raghu.t.k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 13:41   #1688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
My suggestion would be to change it at the earliest. ...
Thank you Raghu. Right you are. Apparently it seems that this awkwardly combination of 12v14AH is produced only by Exide.

Quote:
...i got to know that RE is now shipping the new TBTS 500 with Amaron Batteries ...
Jimmy, please correct me if I am wrong, but Amaron batteries are all 12v5AH. if indeed a 14AH has come up from the AMARON, then I might have missed it on their homepage. Do you have any images of the particular battery model, along with price.
Old 8th May 2015, 15:01   #1689
BHPian

Quote:
My suggestion would be to change it at the earliest. I learnt it the hard way. I used to ignore it, and finally it gave up when I least expected it ie. late in the night, when I had to travel the next day!! The vehicle would not start, and I was stranded with the bike, since it requires the battery both for starting and running it.

The next problem is that there are no choices for 14AH, only Exide (also I think SF Sonic makes them, not sure on it quality) makes them in India, apart from spurious models. Occasionally these are not avaialble, and the dealers have no clue when stocks would arrive (as happened to me in Jan)

I bought a spurious one only to move the bike back home before I travel out of town, and in 5 months I changed it back to Exide. The funniest part is the spurious one cost me more than the Exide.
Quote:
Thank you Raghu. Right you are. Apparently it seems that this awkwardly combination of 12v14AH is produced only by Exide.

Jimmy, please correct me if I am wrong, but Amaron batteries are all 12v5AH. if indeed a 14AH has come up from the AMARON, then I might have missed it on their homepage. Do you have any images of the particular battery model, along with price.
my battery died yesterday night when i was leaving from office, self start / lights now working on battery, after 5 kicks was able to start the bike , thankfully was able to ride home (10 km) without issues but with no horn working, only the upper was working on the dynamo it seems .

@Majumdarda, Brahma motors at wakdewadi have confirmed that they have an amaron battery in stock which is now supplied as standard with the new TBTS 500 , i will go there on monday and have this checked
Old 8th May 2015, 15:05   #1690
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friends,

MY TBTS 500 is 1 Year old and the Battery has started acting up.
The battery icon on the panel is blinking continuously and i see a marginal drop in light and power output of the lights.

looking at the forums it seems i need to go in for a replacement battery and as per consultation from the RE service center i should have it replaced as well.

The cost of Amaron Battery with the RE service center is
1) Amaron Battery Sealed 60 months warranty - Rs 3000
2) Amaron Battery Sealed 60 months warranty with Bracket- Rs 3800

However doing some online research i was able to fine the below options
1)http://www.vicampgroup.in/two-wheele...ER%20-%20ALPHA
->ABR-PR 12APATX90 -> Rs 2035

2)on Batterywale.com
->Amaron ABR-PR-12APBTX50 -> Rs 1282
->Amaron ABR-PR-12APATX50 -> Rs 1528

3)http://www.amaronprobikerider.co.in/powerfitments.aspx

Now, I am confused on which model should i go for and it this is the same as provided by the RE Service Center.

Request members to help as best as possible.

Can one of our members who has recently bought a TBTS share a snap of the Battery and its warranty card

Regards,
Jimit
Quote:

@Majumdarda reposting this for you
Old 8th May 2015, 15:54   #1691
BHPian

Quote:
my battery died yesterday night when i was leaving from office, self start / lights now working on battery, after 5 kicks was able to start the bike , thankfully was able to ride home (10 km) without issues but with no horn working, only the upper was working on the dynamo it seems .
In which case I presume that it was not totally flat. If there is some capacity left it allows you to start and run. Given that your lights were working and the engine was running, I think it had little more life left out. Even the day I got stranded, it started after a Lot of kicks, and would run until I applied brakes (or that matter the lights or horns). Its only midway that it went flat.

Quote:
@Majumdarda, Brahma motors at wakdewadi have confirmed that they have an amaron battery in stock which is now supplied as standard with the new TBTS 500 , i will go there on monday and have this checked
Quote:
@Majumdarda reposting this for you
The ones listed looks like a 5AH and 9AH not sure, since I cant find the exact specs. Also check manual to see if the bike requires 14AH. Since I had enquired all around for a Amaron or maintenance free (reliable) battery with 14 AH spec, and there were none except for Exide and Sonic SF

I might be wrong, best to check with the battery shop to confirm the capacity and match it with your manual.
raghu.t.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 16:51   #1692
J.Ravi

Quote:
Brahma motors at wakdewadi have confirmed that they have an amaron battery in stock which is now supplied as standard with the new TBTS 500 , i will go there on monday and have this checked
My Thunderbird 500 and my son's Classic 500 both have 12V 14AH batteries, but mine has Fiamm Wind and my son's, Exide. Both the Royal Enfields still run on stock OE stock batteries. I was told that Amaron battery is not available in 14AH capacity.

Royal Enfield Queries-batteryspec.jpg

I have answered your query here.
  (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 18:06   #1693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi
Here is what i have found on Exide's website

Battery Type-12BI14L-A2
Part Number-FBI0-12BI14L-A2
http://www.exidereachout.com/products/exide-bikerz.aspx

is this what is shipped by RE ?

Last edited by Jimmy_u : 8th May 2015 at 18:08.
Old 8th May 2015, 18:23   #1694
BHPian

Quote:
Here is what i have found on Exide's website

Battery Type-12BI14L-A2
Part Number-FBI0-12BI14L-A2
http://www.exidereachout.com/products/exide-bikerz.aspx

is this what is shipped by RE ?
Looks like the same. For some reason the warranty card show it as DBI0-12BI14L-A2. The rest is the same.
raghu.t.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 22:30   #1695
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen as I said I am aware of just one manufacturer in India who makes 12V 14AH battery and that is Exide. Apparently SF Sonic battery is also owned by Exide India. So now you know why this battery is exclusively manufactured and distributed by Exide. I have done a lot of research on this and Exide seems to be the only option as of now.

I am not sure if we can use 12V 9AH or 20AH battery. Although latter capacity would require modification to the battery compartment. Experts please pitch in with your comments/suggestions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks