Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2015, 19:49   #1561
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

@GrayBerry, Oem carb=Spaco-Dellorto? what was wrong with your's, hope you could let us know. Btw, what does the mechanic who recommended the vm28 carb has to say about the results of his ..well...recommendation? If you are not particular about slide carbs, easy way out will be a 26mm Cv from later gen avl's. Jetting down the current carb will be trial & error process, sorry that i couldn't help with nos. Ci350's jets could be good to start with but then again these may still be rich for the Avl.

Last edited by Rennjit : 26th February 2015 at 19:53.
Old 26th February 2015, 20:04   #1562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBerry View Post
Dear All,
I could not find OEM carburettor for my AVL 4 spd (2001 model).

Can someone suggest a fix for the above problems? Was wondering if I could change the petrol jet, if yes, please suggest size.
Hi GrayBerry I have a Tbird AVL of 2004 5 speed make, it uses a UCAL Mikuni BS 26 Carb. I am not sure which carb your model uses. I have come across people changing the above mentioned carb in their AVL models with a Bajaj Pulsar Carb. Some mechanics say the pulsar carb works well on AVL engines. The original CV carb on the AVL is a bit expensive hence people buy the Bajaj Pulsar carb. I am not sure about the jet size though.
Old 26th February 2015, 21:28   #1563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Nomad View Post
Does that include painting?
Yes, as in it was available in black off the shelf.
Old 27th February 2015, 17:45   #1564
BHPian

A new problem cropped up in my 4 month, 13,000km old Thunderbird 350. My electric start is not working when the clutch is pulled, whether it is neutral or in gear. From the last few days when the tank is full and if the bike is in side stand, the fuel indicator does not show any bars. Later this starting problem came up. Not sure about the reason. Is my electrical system failing? I have heard of similar horror stories in the earlier thunderbirds. Any clues?
Old 27th February 2015, 18:02   #1565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdeepudev View Post
My electric start is not working when the clutch is pulled, whether it is neutral or in gear.
You can start by checking the starter relay located just near the battery. Most probably it might have gone kaput. You can test it by bypassing the relay and try connecting the starter to the battery directly. Or it should make a click or purr-ing sound while thumping the starter switch. If the starter is still not cranking after bypassing the relay, then it is a problem with the starter itself.

Quote:
From the last few days when the tank is full and if the bike is in side stand, the fuel indicator does not show any bars. Later this starting problem came up. Not sure about the reason. Is my electrical system failing?
These two issues seems to be totally unrelated. The fuel float might have gone bust and hence you are getting no reading. Replacing it should solve the problem.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 18:28   #1566
BHPian

Small edit to the earlier post. The starter is working fine when the bike is in nuetral and the clutch lever is not pulled. When the clutch is pulled, the issue starts. Whether in neutral or in gear, if the clutch lever is pulled, the electric starter does not work. That made me curious. Sorry for confusing you guys. Thanks

Last edited by drdeepudev : 27th February 2015 at 18:29. Reason: typo
Old 27th February 2015, 18:36   #1567
BANNED

Quote:
A new problem cropped up in my 4 month, 13,000km old Thunderbird 350. My electric start is not working when the clutch is pulled, whether it is neutral or in gear. From the last few days when the tank is full and if the bike is in side stand, the fuel indicator does not show any bars. Later this starting problem came up. Not sure about the reason. Is my electrical system failing? I have heard of similar horror stories in the earlier thunderbirds. Any clues?
Along with points given by Man of Steel,

If I understand your problem correctly,

On the clutch lever, there will be a connection going towards the Starter motor (It is a pair of wires clubbed together - Clutch Switch).

Look if that two wires are not seating in that connection properly. As you say it works in neutral but not when in gear and clutch is pressed.

Last edited by a4anurag : 27th February 2015 at 18:47.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2015, 01:02   #1568
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree.
The in order for the starter solenoid to actuate and deliver power to the starter motor, one of two switches (or both) must be actuated. The neutral switch or the clutch switch.

When either of these switches are activated, they provide the ground connection for the solenoid.
The fact that the neutral switch will allow the solenoid to work but the clutch switch will not says the problem is with the clutch switch or the wiring that connects it to the starter solenoid.

The clutch switch is located under the clutch lever. Make sure the small plunger is moving when the clutch lever is pulled in.
Dirt or some form of gunk in the area can cause it to hang up and not move.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2015, 21:27   #1569
BHPian

Got the problem rectified. As rightly pointed out, the problem was with the clutch switch. Costed 93rs. Now, that's fine. Thank you all.
drdeepudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2015, 01:54   #1570
BANNED

Quote:
From the last few days when the tank is full and if the bike is in side stand, the fuel indicator does not show any bars.
One of the two mentioned problems are solved. What about the fuel gauge issue?

Quote:
As rightly pointed out, the problem was with the clutch switch. Costed 93rs. Now, that's fine. Thank you all.
Great news.
Old 1st March 2015, 08:05   #1571
BHPian

As of now, the fuel guage is acting normal.if it happens again, ill report and get it checked. I'm assuming that to be a postural issue. Only when the tank is full and the bike is in the side stand, the problem is visible. Happened few times. Other wise ok. Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 13:04   #1572
BHPian

Booked a DS yesterday. Two months waiting. Will be returning to bikes after about 8 years. 500 was too hoot to ride. On the other hand 350 appeared tame, I was immediately at home on it. But one thing that baffled me was that the SA at the two showrooms I had visited were more interested in impressing me about Thunderbird... can anyone explain?
Old 2nd March 2015, 13:57   #1573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
But one thing that baffled me was that the SA at the two showrooms I had visited were more interested in impressing me about Thunderbird... can anyone explain?
Obviously, all showrooms will try to push the higher priced product where the margin will be better for them.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 14:35   #1574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
But one thing that baffled me was that the SA at the two showrooms I had visited were more interested in impressing me about Thunderbird... can anyone explain?
As man_of_steel says one case might be they want to push a more costlier model to increase their margins. But there's another take that I would like to highlight. Considering you have to spend a few thousand more for buying a Thunderbird you are getting so many features extra. A Thunderbird offers you a 20 litre fuel tank, front and rear disc brakes, MID Instrument Cluster, HID projector headlight, LED corona ring light (looks like DRLs), LED Rear Tailight, comfort and plushier ride (highly subjective), fatter rear tyre, redesigned swing arm, etc. All these features make the Thunderbird a pure VFM proposition IMHO. I had decided earlier itself to buy the new Thunderbird 500 as I already have three CI's and a AVL Tbird. At the end of the day it is your choice that matters.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 16:23   #1575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Obviously, all showrooms will try to push the higher priced product where the margin will be better for them.
Could be. But what baffled me more that next to Thunderbird he was more keen on recommending Standard 500, emphasising upon seating/riding comfort. May be he thought that comfort would be priority for a 40+ plus gentleman who had walked in with his wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
As man_of_steel says one case might be they want to push a more costlier model to increase their margins. But there's another take that I would like to highlight. Considering you have to spend a few thousand more for buying a Thunderbird you are getting so many features extra. A Thunderbird offers you a 20 litre fuel tank, front and rear disc brakes, MID Instrument Cluster, HID projector headlight, LED corona ring light (looks like DRLs), LED Rear Tailight, comfort and plushier ride (highly subjective), fatter rear tyre, redesigned swing arm, etc. All these features make the Thunderbird a pure VFM proposition IMHO. I had decided earlier itself to buy the new Thunderbird 500 as I already have three CI's and a AVL Tbird. At the end of the day it is your choice that matters.
Totally agree. The head ticks off Thunderbird but heart wants a Classic... perhaps a fascination for retro! Yes, I do have time, TB has one month waiting compared to two for DS. Confused, yes I am. Still.

Last edited by Piyadassi : 2nd March 2015 at 16:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks