Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2015, 18:25   #1546
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Infact I think the weight is properly distributed on the AVL Tbird as it doesn't bank as dangerously as a Tbird500 under hard braking while doing slow speeds.
The front suspension of my TBTS was considerably stiffer than the new TB's front. May be your AVL too might be stiffer and that might be the reason for this front end dive!

I was not at all comfortable with my TBTS's stock handlebar in the city. The bike's traffic agility improved significantly with the RD bars! Different riders different preferences like you mentioned!
Old 23rd February 2015, 18:44   #1547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
As the mech if he has done it earlier and is it possible to have a look. The TB500 has got split seats which are removed when you pull a cable to release the lock, much like a car boot or bonnet. I'm guessing this would be difficult to fabricate.
That's a very good and valid point slicvic. Didn't think of it at all. I guess before I make the purchase I would like to see the work he has done. I'm guessing, the clamps he mentioned would have to be undone to get the seats out.

Regards
Bugs.
Old 24th February 2015, 01:52   #1548
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Guys one query.

this morning while cleaning my bike, i saw some rubber bits fallen down. on closer inspection i saw that there are these rubber clamps on the fins of the engine, but they are randomly placed. Any idea what purpose they serve? will their absence cause any negative effect?
Those rubber strips are intended to dampen out any vibration the cooling fins may have.
This is basically to make the engine quieter although the people who have removed them (including me) say they can't hear any difference.

Personally, I think they are rather ugly and I am sure they reduce the fins ability to get rid of heat.
Sense it gets up to over 44 degrees C here in Phoenix I decided I would remove them so the engine could get all of the cooling available.

I've ridden my RE over 17,000 miles (27,000 km) without the rubber dampers on my engine and it has shown no harm has been done by their absence.
ArizonaJim is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 12:14   #1549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Guys one query.

this morning while cleaning my bike, i saw some rubber bits fallen down. on closer inspection i saw that there are these rubber clamps on the fins of the engine, but they are randomly placed. Any idea what purpose they serve? will their absence cause any negative effect?
Hi Himanshu - they are there to help reduce vibration and to some extend dampening the sound. After reading somewhere in this forum about why this is there , its pros and cons, I got them all removed. I feel the engine looks a lot better now with them gone, a much cleaner look to be honest, and a lot easier to clean between the fins as well.

Its been about 1500 kms since I removed them, so its not too long ago, but have not seen any major diff either in vibration level or noise from the engine after removing them.

EDIT - Just saw Jim's reply to you.

Regards
Bugs

Last edited by bhagathmp : 24th February 2015 at 12:15.
bhagathmp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 12:28   #1550
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @ArizonaJim and @bhagathmp. This allays my concerns!
Old 25th February 2015, 01:55   #1551
BHPian

I have observed that my Classic 350 runs very smoothly when it has enough fuel in it (> 3 ltrs. approx). Any lesser quantity makes the ride a little stiff i.e. acceleration is not effortless.

Is there any reason behind it?
Old 25th February 2015, 02:56   #1552
BHPian

Hello guys,

I've been a silent spectator of this thread for almost 2 months now, reading at coffee breaks at work and at times, before I go to bed. I must say, spectacular thread and wonderful contributors/tions!

I recently bought (should call it a steal actually, for the price I paid &#128516 a pre-worshipped (seen it right from day 1 though) classic 500 maroon which has done 3K km and am loving every bit of it!! A separate ownership thread's due and will write one.

The bike had had minor fall before it came into my hands. So, since the day I bought it, I have been seeing the following and would really do with some help/pointers.

1. The handle's a bit mis aligned/bent and the wheel/fork/handle vibrate when I let go off the handle bar on a pretty smooth road (where it's safe to do that)

2. The bike sways to the right when I let go of the handle bar. Again on a smooth empty road where it's safe to do that. Is this the alignment using the long rod/stick?

3. The front mud guard is a bit bent. Not sure how much it costs to tinker and get it painted.

4. The previous owner had run in the vehicle well and got the vehicle serviced and the oil changed before he handed the keys over me. But the thing is that he'd gotten the Goldie (or what people call it) installed on day one/two. Would this have in anyway affected the run in?

5. The odo now reads 6K and am thinking of getting these minor issues fixed along with the service and teknik agara is the nearest A.S.C.. Any others recommended for these kinds of repairs?
Trust me, after 3 consecutive services at different A.S.Cs for the zma,, I am still unable to find a person who can correct the T-stem bend and the cone set and am hence asking.

Thanks,
Driving_nomad
Old 25th February 2015, 03:12   #1553
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Nomad View Post
The bike had had minor fall before it came into my hands. So, since the day I bought it, I have been seeing the following and would really do with some help/pointers.

1. The handle's a bit mis aligned/bent and the wheel/fork/handle vibrate when I let go off the handle bar.

2. The bike sways to the right when I let go of the handle bar. Again on a smooth empty road where it's safe to do that. Is this the alignment using the long rod/stick?

3. The front mud guard is a bit bent. Not sure how much it costs to tinker and get it painted.

4. But the thing is that he'd gotten the Goldie (or what people call it) installed on day one/two. Would this have in anyway affected the run in?
Point 1, 2 and 3: Fiat thing, check the tyre pressures being maintained. If both tyres are correctly inflated, then it looks to be an issue with the front forks being bent.

Check for rim trueness also and cone set. If the handle bar is bent then I suggest you to get a newer one from ASC, peace of mind at least.

Point 4: Run-in shouldn't be a problem if the instructions as per the owners manual were followed correctly and the oil change done too?! If yes, then nothing much to worry.
Old 25th February 2015, 09:53   #1554
BHPian

Since this bike is out of warranty, you would be better off in avoiding the dealer. Try Gurunandan, India's foremost Enfield mechanic. Just Google him for contact details.
Old 25th February 2015, 10:29   #1555
BHPian

Quote:
The bike had had minor fall before it came into my hands
  • Does your handle bar vibrate (both your hands on it) at high frequency when you go above 80?

• Do you have to apply any force in particular to keep it going in a straight line?

• Hows the tread wear on the front tyre?

It could be one of many reasons, especially since the bike had an accident.

Most probable would be;
  • Bent spokes

• Bent fork tube

• Faulty ball racer/ cone set

If you've got a good mechanic, that would be a better option rather than taking it to the a.s.s guys.

Is the mudguard noticably dented? New one costs 1300 Rs.

Regards,

BOV
Old 25th February 2015, 11:32   #1556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
[/list]

Most probable would be;
  • Bent spokes

• Bent fork tube

To add to the list, Busted swingarm bush can also case wobbly handlebars. You can replace it with steel bush from the old Bullets, the new one comes with a plastic type bush.

DIY analysis: Put the bike in Central stand catch hold of the rear tyre and try to rock it from side to side. If there is a small play/movement, its time to replace the bush.

Quote:
Its an inherent problem with all the Classics and other UCE models except the TB and CGT. Try doing the manual alignment using a rod or a string.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 25th February 2015 at 11:35.
Old 25th February 2015, 11:42   #1557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys,
4. The previous owner had run in the vehicle well and got the vehicle serviced and the oil changed before he handed the keys over me. But the thing is that he'd gotten the Goldie (or what people call it) installed on day one/two. Would this have in anyway affected the run in?
Thanks,
Driving_nomad
As long as the engine has been run in properly,no issues at all,though some people rev the nuts out just for the sake of the sound.I myself have ordered an RRP exhaust for my 450Km run DS which i acquired a week back.Will be changing after the first service. I have seen people changing the silencers right from day 1. A proper exhaust should not harm the engine in any manner.
Get all the issues sorted out and start enjoying the ride.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 25th February 2015 at 11:46.
Old 25th February 2015, 13:36   #1558
BHPian

**Deleted reply as it was OT.

Last edited by cooljun : 25th February 2015 at 13:39. Reason: Wrong reply.
Old 25th February 2015, 23:12   #1559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Point 1, 2 and 3: Fiat thing, check the tyre pressures being maintained. If both tyres are correctly inflated...

Point 4: Run-in shouldn't be a problem if the instructions as per the owners manual were followed correctly and the oil change done too?! If yes, then nothing much to worry.
Thanks. I have always maintained the correct tyre pressure on both wheels. Will get the rest checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Since this bike is out of warranty, you would be better off in avoiding the dealer. Try Gurunandan, India's foremost Enfield mechanic. Just Google him for contact details.

His site says his shop is temporarily shut. Have gotten his number and will contact him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
BOV
  • Does your handle bar vibrate (both your hands on it) at high frequency when you go above 80?

Nope it doesn't.
  • Do you have to apply any force in particular to keep it going in a straight line?

Looks like yes cause my left shoulder aches after a ride. My posture isn't a problem since I don't have any problem when I ride the zma on the same route.
  • Hows the tread wear on the front tyre?

Looks even. No noticeable unevenness.

Most probable would be;
  • Bent spokes
  • Bent fork tube

If you've got a good mechanic, that would be a better option rather than taking it to the a.s.s guys.

Is the mudguard noticably dented? New one costs 1300 Rs.
Does that include painting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
To add to the list, Busted swingarm bush can also case wobbly handlebars. You can replace it with steel bush from the old Bullets, the new one comes with a plastic type bush.

DIY analysis: Put the bike in Central stand catch hold of the rear tyre and try to rock it from side to side. If there is a small play/movement, its time to replace the bush.

Its an inherent problem with all the Classics and other UCE models except the TB and CGT. Try doing the manual alignment using a rod or a string.
Thanks. Will check the bush tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
As long as the engine has been run in properly....
Get all the issues sorted out and start enjoying the ride.
Thank you! Surely looking to enjoy it more once all issues are resolved!
As I have seen the bike from day one and know the first owner's riding habits, I am sure that the engine was run in properly.
Old 26th February 2015, 13:42   #1560
BHPian

Dear All,
I could not find OEM carburettor for my AVL 4 spd (2001 model), however, based on recommendation from my mechanic I got a 500cc CI Enfield carburettor. Upon using for a couple of months, following are my issues:
1. Bike is running rich (mileage of 28.5 KM/Lt)
2. Lot of jerks expect when at 40 to 45 Kmph on 4th gear
3. Recently lost a spark plug - burnt due to excessive fuel

Can someone suggest a fix for the above problems? Was wondering if I could change the petrol jet, if yes, please suggest size.

Most Viewed