Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2015, 14:07   #1516
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Does the Royal Enfield Standard (500 cc) model come in CSD?
Old 17th February 2015, 14:25   #1517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
Does the Royal Enfield Standard (500 cc) model come in CSD?
What did you mean by CSD?
Old 17th February 2015, 14:26   #1518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
What did you mean by CSD?
Army Canteen. Sorry for not mentioning the full name earlier
Old 18th February 2015, 12:40   #1519
BHPian

Current and Prospective RE owners (especially in Bangalore) , please be careful!

Read this
barcalad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 13:16   #1520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Current and Prospective RE owners (especially in Bangalore) , please be careful!
Sandhya Auto Spares is where most Bulleteers pick up their spares. Shocking to read this.
Old 18th February 2015, 13:58   #1521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post

Read this

The weird part being , there is a authorized RE spare parts shop/service center right below Sandhya Motors.

Most of the spares I buy are from Prem Motors, Shivajinagar. Doesn't look like the stuff they sell are fake since they clearly differentiate between local and original makes .
Old 18th February 2015, 14:55   #1522
BHPian

I take it that the spares shop in question isn't an authorised distributor, since Tharian has mentioned that theres an authorised one just beneath it.

Most of these spares shops clearly differentiate between original and duplicate parts. Then again there are some sellers here in Cochin too that sell fake parts under the guise of originality. However these are not the authorised distributors. Its best to stick to the authorised distributors.

A few unrelated queries
  • How hard/difficult would it be to mount a disc brake setup at front for the old CI's? Obviously the hub would have to be changed, is that all though?
  • What are the standard piston oversizes?

Regards,

BOV

Last edited by B O V : 18th February 2015 at 14:57.
Old 18th February 2015, 15:26   #1523
BHPian

Guys I need some advice / help / recommendations on improving the riding comfort of my DS 500.

Though I have been having the bike for a little under 3 years now, I have not ridden it much. Main reason being the fact my wife finds it a bit uncomfortable on our 16KM one way ride to work in the morning. So we end up driving. Since Jan this year, I have taken a new role in the organization and I need to start a bit later in the morning. So I travel solo, and have started using the bike 3 days a week. Now what I'm looking at are these:

1) I'm 6 ft1 in , the handle bar feel a tab bit lower. I have heard / read other riders replacing the stock handle bar with that of STD 350, RD 350 (with cross bar). Would the new Thunderbirds' handle bar be a good alternative? I'm asking as I feel this would be a lot taller than the STD or RD's bars, and would give me better posture. Question then is can I buy them off the shelf at any RE spare parts store or at service centre, and would I be needing to replace cables etc?

2) Though most of my ride is going to be solo, I do want to retain the flexibility of having a pillion at times. I plan to replace the spring loaded independent seats with that of the current gen Electra. I know the mounting points would be an issue, but looking at fabricating the mounts and bolted onto the frame rather than welding. In case I need to go back to the stock form, this would be an easy job.

3) Read about RRP exhaust for the RE and even gone thru the discussion on xbhp where the guy put it on for this DS. At 8K, it is exp, but looking at the product itself, I think its worth the investment. I guess one would not need any remap either. Your expert comments here please.

4) This is more "a good to have" - I like the backlight switches that you see on Pulsar. Is this something we could mount on the RE? I believe these are LED, so would need some power source. Anyone with experience doing this , request you to kindly suggest.

Regards
Bugs.
Old 18th February 2015, 15:51   #1524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
  • How hard/difficult would it be to mount a disc brake setup at front for the old CI's? Obviously the hub would have to be changed, is that all though?
This mod is not at all difficult as I have seen many of them Standard CI's sporting a front disc brake setup. Infact there is a disc brake conversion kit available where one gets the smaller disc hub, spokes and ofcourse the disc brake assembly (pricol make I believe). It is a very simple mod wherein you can buy the above mentioned parts on your own and do a bolt on with the help of a mechanic.
Old 18th February 2015, 16:15   #1525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
As mentioned earlier it is not difficult. Have done it for my Bullet too.
The Hub, Spokes, Yoke, Brake Lever are all different.

I used the kit which is available with the dealers. Costed around 8000/- two years back.
Old 18th February 2015, 17:03   #1526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhagathmp View Post
1) I'm 6 ft1 in , the handle bar feel a tab bit lower. I have heard / read other riders replacing the stock handle bar with that of STD 350, RD 350 (with cross bar). Would the new Thunderbirds' handle bar be a good alternative? I'm asking as I feel this would be a lot taller than the STD or RD's bars, and would give me better posture. Question then is can I buy them off the shelf at any RE spare parts store or at service centre, and would I be needing to replace cables etc?
If I am right, the maximum you can go with the stock cable set is the RD replica handlebars. TB's one should be too tall for the stock cables to reach. Also, take into account that the TB's handle might be a bit cumbersome for traffic. I think RD replica is the way to go.

Quote:
3) Read about RRP exhaust for the RE and even gone thru the discussion on xbhp where the guy put it on for this DS. At 8K, it is exp, but looking at the product itself, I think its worth the investment. I guess one would not need any remap either. Your expert comments here please.
For ANY FFE to bring about some performance gain, a change should be done to the fueling as well. Or else it will be just an upgrade to the sound. All all the feeling of increased power is just combination a placebo effect, sound and engine breathing out a bit more freely. You may also consider the exhaust made by Indimotard Greasehouse which is a bit more cheaper.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 18:05   #1527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
The weird part being , there is a authorized RE spare parts shop/service center right below Sandhya Motors.
There's no way that the authorised RE spare shop wouldn't know about their neighbour's escapades. Something is up.
Old 18th February 2015, 19:34   #1528
BHPian

Thanks mate for the quick reply.

Quote:
Also, take into account that the TB's handle might be a bit cumbersome for traffic. I think RD replica is the way to go.
I had an impression that the RD handle bar was wider than the TB and hence the taller TB ones would be better. I guess I thought wrong then. Would like to try both ones and see which one feels better for my riding style / condition.

Quote:
For ANY FFE to bring about some performance gain, a change should be done to the fueling as well. Or else it will be just an upgrade to the sound.
For the said changes to fuelling, is this something a good mechanic can do (may be trial and error not sure here) or would I need a power chip / remapping of the ECU?

Regards
Bugs.
Old 18th February 2015, 20:03   #1529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhagathmp View Post
I had an impression that the RD handle bar was wider than the TB and hence the taller TB ones would be better. I guess I thought wrong then. Would like to try both ones and see which one feels better for my riding style / condition.
Do take a test ride before deciding. The biggest advantage of RD handle bar, as per me, is its flatness and not inclined to either sides like that of TB. My TB was a hoot to ride in both traffic and ghats after switching to the RD replica.

Quote:
For the said changes to fuelling, is this something a good mechanic can do (may be trial and error not sure here) or would I need a power chip / remapping of the ECU?
I guess yours is a Classic 500, in that case your mechanic cannot help you in this department. You might have to go for an aftermarket/piggyback ECU like Race Dynamics. I am not sure if anybody does a remap of the stock ECU. Kiirus does remapping for Duke 200s and 390s but not sure if they do it for Royal Enfield.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 18th February 2015 at 20:04.
Old 18th February 2015, 20:37   #1530
BHPian

Does anyone here own a UCE with the new RRP exhaust. Greatly looking forward to hearing from you? I also heard that's it is suitable for 350s, 500s and also the GT.

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks