Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2015, 10:06   #1486
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Mr.O:

The popping or backfiring sound you hear is due to the free flowing silencer you installed.
Because the pressure in the exhaust is reduced, the fuel/air mixture produced by the carburetor is too lean (too much air for the amount of fuel being atomized).
No, It is not that back firing sound, It is a high pitched "kichi kichi" sound. Not that low pitched popping sound. It sounds almost like a "whoo choo choo choo" from a blow off valve and its frequency too is similar to a blow off valve. It happens though out the time when I shut the throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Mr.O:

There is little to be gained in the way of performance by removing the pulse valve but many do it believing it will increase the engines horsepower.
Removing the valve will slightly reduce the backfiring you are hearing from the exhaust but it is not a good replacement for having the carburetor re-jetted as I mentioned above.
Removing the pulse system will increase the amount of air pollution the motorcycle creates. If this is an issue with you, you may not wish to do it.
How can we close it? My mechanic says we have to replace the cylinder head with one that doesn't have a pulse valve. But I've heard inserting a metal ball helps but I didn't get much info on that, and my mechanic has no clue what to do other than replacing the cylinder head.

And what is the crank weight of a 2006 STD 350?
Old 13th February 2015, 14:52   #1487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Can anyone shed light on crank weights of the UCE standard/500 and others?

I know that the standard and 500 uses the same crank, which is heavier than the others.
AFAIK the crank weight of both the UCE Classic 500 and UCE Standard 500 is the same. There were some owners and dealers saying that when RE was producing only Standard UCE 350 it had the crank weight equal to that of Classic 500 which is between 10-11 odd kgs approx. I don't know the crank weight of other UCE 350 models though but a guess would be around 9 odd Kgs. I own a UCE Tbird 500 and think it has the same heavy crank of 10-11 odd kgs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.O View Post
And what is the crank weight of a 2006 STD 350?
Mallus(Malayalees) and Panjus(Punjabis) are so attracted to the crank weight, aint it? . I too am a mallu and I am also crazy about crank weight but in original factory form. I have heard from various people and mechanics that G2 and B1 cast iron Standard 350 Bullets had the heaviest crank of around 14 Kgs. Some B1 and B2 engine series when localized came with 12.5 kg crank which was further reduced to 10 kgs and 9 kgs respectively. The Standard CI 350 that were produced at the end of their life during 2010 were brought back to the crank weight of 10 odd Kgs maybe 11 Kgs due to backlash from their respective buyers who didn't like the light crank.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 15:13   #1488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, It is not that back firing sound, It is a high pitched "kichi kichi" sound. Not that low pitched popping sound. It sounds almost like a "whoo choo choo choo" from a blow off valve and its frequency too is similar to a blow off valve. It happens though out the time when I shut the throttle.
I guess it is the similar sound of a de-comp valve which has been altered to let the cylinder pressure out through the de-comp valve instead of the exhaust.
But I am confused as to how that sound comes when you de-accelerate.
Maybe checking the de-comp lever and cable would be a good idea.

Quote:
How can we close it? My mechanic says we have to replace the cylinder head with one that doesn't have a pulse valve. But I've heard inserting a metal ball helps but I didn't get much info on that, and my mechanic has no clue what to do other than replacing the cylinder head.
I would suggest leaving the PAV as it is. Going to the length of changing the head just to have a closed PAV is not worth it.
Old 13th February 2015, 15:25   #1489
BHPian

Quote:
I have a few queries for my 2006 Bullet 350 std CI
Hi,

If you remove your silencer/muffler and have a look inside the bendpipe near the right footpeg, you would see that there is another pipe inside it. Just get that removed with the help of a good welder.

That little pipe should be the source of your discomfort.

Personally I love that whistling note upon closing the throttle

Blocking the pulse air valve produces a negligible difference at best. Best to keep it on.

Regards,

BOV

Last edited by B O V : 13th February 2015 at 15:27.
Old 13th February 2015, 15:28   #1490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
The problem has decreased considerably, but i still feel it exists to a minor extent. Didn't complain immediately since his first reaction would be denial. Will ride a bit more and then probably go back. What would be the next thing to be checked?

Regarding wheel alignment, is it done in most Tyre Service shops, asking cause i have never seen a motorcycle being aligned whenever i'm at the Tyre Service places.
Glad that it is rectified, well.. To an extend atleast. If you are still getting the pulsating feeling, I guess your steering nut could to be tightened a bit more. But make sure that the handle still turns freely after tightening by placing it on the center stand, pushing down the rear end and check for the movement of the handlebar lock to lock. If after further tightening it, the problem is gone but the handlebar has become hard to turn, you may have to replace the cone set.

If this hasn't solved the problem it might be a warped brake rotor or a bent front rim. These are highly unlikely but I cant think of anything else!

Even I haven't heard about the motorcycle wheel alignment done in tyre shops. The best thing you can do is manually check the alignment. Refer to the below link which explains the basic principal of checking it.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/02/21...eel-alignment/

You can use whichever method you find comfortable either a straight long object or a string. But do not entirely depend on the snail cams on the swing arm! Fellow member adrian has reported a few pages back that he has done manual alignment and there was as much as 5 teeth(IIRC) difference between the left and right cams!
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 15:53   #1491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post

Mallus(Malayalees) and Panjus(Punjabis) are so attracted to the crank weight, aint it? . I too am a mallu and I am also crazy about crank weight but in original factory form. I have heard from various people and mechanics that G2 and B1 cast iron Standard 350 Bullets had the heaviest crank of around 14 Kgs. Some B1 and B2 engine series when localized came with 12.5 kg crank which was further reduced to 10 kgs and 9 kgs respectively. The Standard CI 350 that were produced at the end of their life during 2010 were brought back to the crank weight of 10 odd Kgs maybe 11 Kgs due to backlash from their respective buyers who didn't like the light crank.
Yeah you are correct. I am a malayalee and I am too obsessed with heavy cranks. Even guys who doesn't know much about bullets, when they see the bike the first thing they are gonna ask is whether this is a heavy crank model or not, followed by mileage of course. The funny thing is most doesn't know the (dis)advantages of a heavy crank.

What is the difference between a B1 and B2 engine. I have been searching all over the interweb about this. But failed to get a proper answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I guess it is the similar sound of a de-comp valve which has been altered to let the cylinder pressure out through the de-comp valve instead of the exhaust.
But I am confused as to how that sound comes when you de-accelerate.
Maybe checking the de-comp lever and cable would be a good idea.

I would suggest leaving the PAV as it is. Going to the length of changing the head just to have a closed PAV is not worth it.
Guess I am gonna leave the PAV as it is. Yes it sounds similar to a de-comp valve sound, I have noted a couple of UCE bikes with similar "kichi kichi" sound. Is it because of the catalytic converter? does changing the bend pipe helps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Hi,

Thanks BOV. Yes I've seen that small pipe thing. Is that the catalytic converter?

I'm pretty sure you love that whistling sound. Your name (BOV) says it all.
Old 13th February 2015, 16:36   #1492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

If you remove your silencer/muffler and have a look inside the bendpipe near the right footpeg, you would see that there is another pipe inside it. Just get that removed with the help of a good welder.

Blocking the pulse air valve produces a negligible difference at best. Best to keep it on.

Regards,

BOV

BOV,

That is the catalytic convertor. Removing that is a risky affair since if not done carefully, it catches fire and the bend pipe cannot be used after.

I guess Mr.O is referring to the same. Removing it bumps up the pick up as well.
Old 13th February 2015, 17:58   #1493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The funny thing is most doesn't know the (dis)advantages of a heavy crank.
Actually according to me many people think that the heavy crank is the unique identity of the older 350 Standard Bullet CI's. For them it is a inseparable part of the Standard Bullet CI 350 hence the question that always pops to their mind is, is it a heavy crank? In mallu lingo, "Maashe ningalude bullet heavy crank aano?".(translation: Mate does your Bullet have a heavy crank?) I have come across this question after my visit to Kerala after a 8 year gap. Funny thing is I have also come across this question in Bombay from fellow mallu friends. Looks like heavy crank and mallus are inseparable. I have both heavy (G2 1961 model and B1 1969 model) and light crank (B4 1996 model) Bullet Standard CI's. In addition I also have the light crank 2004 AVL Thunderbird 350. All these bikes have unique characteristic and their own charm. I had started a thread on TeamBHP titled, "converting light crank to heavy crank" in 2010. I gave up this modification as I didn't wanted to ruin the unique characteristic of my light crank 1996 Standard Bullet CI 350 model. Both light and heavy crank have their own advantages and disadvantages and I have the best of both .

Quote:
What is the difference between a B1 and B2 engine. I have been searching all over the interweb about this. But failed to get a proper answer
AFAIK the B1 engines are nothing but G2 engines stamped as B1. Later some of the B1 engines underwent some localisation and their crank weight came down to 12.5 kgs from 14 kgs. I think once the engine was fully localised it was stamped as B2 series.

P.S. This may or may not be true, I ask RE veterans to confirm this.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 17:59   #1494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
BOV,
Removing that is a risky affair since if not done carefully, it catches fire and the bend pipe cannot be used after.
I wasn't aware of this, wouldn't have suggested it else. Changing the bend pipe would work best I suppose? If it did it could solve his issues without the welding.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you love that whistling sound. Your name (BOV) says it all.
Yeah sure do love that note, rather my user id shoulda been "kich kich"

As tharian has mentioned, it could be a risky move to remove the catcon from the bend pipe.

Also I saw your motorcycle on the other thread, you mentioned you were going for bigger jets and a filter.In my opinion it wouldn't really produce all that much of a difference for the 350. The bigger jets would make a difference only at wide open throttle modes of operation.

Last edited by B O V : 13th February 2015 at 18:01.
B O V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 18:07   #1495

I'm facing a queer issue of carb popping out and hanging on my Thunderbird AVL when kick starting the bike.
After using the valve lifter (the decomp knob) and when I kick start, there is a loud burst and the carb hangs open.
Changed the carburetor manifolds, changed the mixture leaner and that did not resolve it.
It happens rarely, and neither me not my mechanic has been able to reproduce it when required.
When it happens, I loosen the manifold holds, fit the carb back in and I start, bang she works normal again.
What could it be?
Apart from that, the vehicle is perfectly normal.
Old 13th February 2015, 18:29   #1496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
..I had started a thread on TeamBHP titled, "converting light crank to heavy crank" in 2010. I gave up this modification as I didn't wanted to ruin the unique characteristic of my light crank 1996 Standard Bullet CI 350 model. Both light and heavy crank have their own advantages and disadvantages and I have the best of both .
Maashey.. Can you please describe in brief about the difference in characteristics of both heavy and light cranks? I mean how does the feel of both differs?
Old 13th February 2015, 19:40   #1497

Heavy crank engines pull much better, you can get relatively higher speeds in low gears. Advantage is, no need of frequent gear changes. whereas light crank engines have better pick-up and have higher top speed figures.
abhijeetK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 20:56   #1498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundar-TN07 View Post
I'm facing a queer issue of carb popping out and hanging on my Thunderbird AVL when kick starting the bike.
After using the valve lifter (the decomp knob) and when I kick start, there is a loud burst and the carb hangs open.
Changed the carburetor manifolds, changed the mixture leaner and that did not resolve it.
It happens rarely, and neither me not my mechanic has been able to reproduce it when required.
When it happens, I loosen the manifold holds, fit the carb back in and I start, bang she works normal again.
What could it be?
Apart from that, the vehicle is perfectly normal.
If the engine is spitting through the carburetor, never make the mixture leaner. Slightly richen up the mixture and look if it gets better. If the mixture screw is way off the factory setting, then look out for vacuum leaks. If everything is fine with the carburetor, the things to look for will be the electrical department. The condition of the spark plug, the HT coils and leads and that of the suppressor cap.
regards adrian
Old 13th February 2015, 22:34   #1499
BHPian

Quote:

Also I saw your motorcycle on the other thread, you mentioned you were going for bigger jets and a filter.In my opinion it wouldn't really produce all that much of a difference for the 350. The bigger jets would make a difference only at wide open throttle modes of operation.
The air box and air filter in my bike is like the newer Royal Enfields, Air filter is in the right side (triangular) side box. So no place to keep my tools and documents. That gave me an idea for a pod filter, so that I can use my side box as a tool box. I know pod filter is not going to make a big difference in performance. And I dunno how it is gonna handle during rains. Another option is to make use of the "real" air box. But it has 2 pipes running across. Suggestions please

But there is a twist. The other end of the breather pipe comes out of the right side box. Some time it splashes out drops of engine oil . Can I divert that pipe to anywhere else? Say, chain like in the older models? Is that a good idea?
Old 14th February 2015, 00:29   #1500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The air box and air filter in my bike is like the newer Royal Enfields, Air filter is in the right side (triangular) side box. So no place to keep my tools and documents. That gave me an idea for a pod filter, so that I can use my side box as a tool box. I know pod filter is not going to make a big difference in performance. And I dunno how it is gonna handle during rains. Another option is to make use of the "real" air box. But it has 2 pipes running across. Suggestions please

But there is a twist. The other end of the breather pipe comes out of the right side box. Some time it splashes out drops of engine oil . Can I divert that pipe to anywhere else? Say, chain like in the older models? Is that a good idea?
My suggestion,

Get the old type filter box and filter. Both are available at Enfield spare parts shops.

Since this is a Std 350 and is the grandad of Enfields, I would leave it as stock as possible.

For the exhaust, get the long type bend pipe and the short doom muffler which will give a lovely note since this is a heavy crank engine.
And yes, you can get a short breather pipe that empties to the chain.
The mods you have in mind, like free exhaust and performance filter with different jets, I would do on a UCE or AVL engine Enfield.

Just my suggestions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks