Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2014, 10:19   #1276
Senior - BHPian

Re: All T-BHP Royal Enfield Owners- Your Bike Pics here Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post

The rear mud flap was put by the mechanic without my permission and I personally don't like it, but have decided to keep it for a while.
Since this is a heavy crank Bullet, I would suggest removing the flap and enjoying the actual beat since these models are known for an awesome beat.

The tail-lamp IMO is a no-no. Go for the stock original tail lamp or the small type one which you find on my bike one page back.

Overall, good work on the refurbishing.
Old 16th April 2014, 17:46   #1277

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAHBAAZ View Post
AUTOPANDIT, good use of Car headrests!! Though the look of complete bike changes but comfort on long trips would be awsome,,
Thanks Shahbaaz... that long handle bar and those seats are perfect for my height... really enjoying...
autopandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2014, 17:36   #1278
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't it have a Royal Look?

All T-BHP Royal Enfield Owners- Your Bike Pics here Please-black-out__.jpg
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 09:11   #1279
Senior - BHPian

Few pictures on a ride to Mettur Dam via Sathyamangalam . The dam is now closed for 4 wheelers and only 2 wheelers allowed.
Attached Thumbnails
All T-BHP Royal Enfield Owners- Your Bike Pics here Please-img1069.jpg  

All T-BHP Royal Enfield Owners- Your Bike Pics here Please-img1064.jpg  

tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 15:53   #1280
Senior - BHPian

Not directly relevant to this thread.
This was taken at the reception of the Royal Enfield factory in Thiruvottiyur, Madras.
Attached Thumbnails
All T-BHP Royal Enfield Owners- Your Bike Pics here Please-6480_145500056624_2343649_n.jpg  

tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 16:34   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Since this is a heavy crank Bullet, I would suggest removing the flap and enjoying the actual beat since these models are known for an awesome beat.
A small correction , post 80 models are not heavy crank . 1970-80(a rough timeline , may vary by +/-1 year) they had 11.5 kg cranks , 1960-70 the bikes had the original 14 kg crank . Just before being discontinued in 09 , RE released the last lot of bullets with 14 kg crank.
Old 24th April 2014, 16:43   #1282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
A small correction , post 80 models are not heavy crank . 1970-80(a rough timeline , may vary by +/-1 year) they had 11.5 kg cranks , 1960-70 the bikes had the original 14 kg crank . Just before being discontinued in 09 , RE released the last lot of bullets with 14 kg crank.
Compared to the Cast Iron Electra's, the 11.5kg cranks still fall into heavy crank category, which was what I was comparing with.
Old 24th April 2014, 17:22   #1283
BHPian

Quote:
Compared to the Cast Iron Electra's, the 11.5kg cranks still fall into heavy crank category, which was what I was comparing with.
Mine is a 86 model (navy disposal btw) and has a 7.5 kg crank. Another bike at my mechanics place all opened up from similar time frame has same crank. I also tested(before purchase) both 70's era models and a 68 model ( unique exhaust note , rest don't even compare to this bike ) and there is a noticeable difference felt. I myself was under the impression that 80's model are heavy crank(As in 11.5 kg) and found out otherwise after purchasing it . My source being my own motorcycle , mechanics(though they tend to mislead a lot ) and online searches . Accurate information on this topic is very rare and it is often the case that different stock specimens exist in same year(certain 70's model for example had 14 kg crank as stock) so take mine with a pinch of salt.
Old 25th April 2014, 08:35   #1284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Mine is a 86 model (navy disposal btw) and has a 7.5 kg crank. Another bike at my mechanics place all opened up from similar time frame has same crank. I also tested(before purchase) both 70's era models and a 68 model ( unique exhaust note , rest don't even compare to this bike ) and there is a noticeable difference felt. I myself was under the impression that 80's model are heavy crank(As in 11.5 kg) and found out otherwise after purchasing it . My source being my own motorcycle , mechanics(though they tend to mislead a lot ) and online searches . Accurate information on this topic is very rare and it is often the case that different stock specimens exist in same year(certain 70's model for example had 14 kg crank as stock) so take mine with a pinch of salt.

This is news to me. I had no idea there were light crank Bullets made before the Electra/Machismo time. Is it possible that all these were ex-forces Bullets and for some reason they had ordered their bikes to be made with a light crank?
OR
Most of the bikes you saw had their cranks replaced with light ones at some point.
A bit hard to believe that some pre-90's Bullets had light cranks.
Old 25th April 2014, 10:27   #1285
BHPian

Quote:

This is news to me. I had no idea there were light crank Bullets made before the Electra/Machismo time. Is it possible that all these were ex-forces Bullets and for some reason they had ordered their bikes to be made with a light crank?
OR
Most of the bikes you saw had their cranks replaced with light ones at some point.
A bit hard to believe that some pre-90's Bullets had light cranks.
My bike is still more or less in stock condition except for carb and a barrel change done a few years back. This is my first bullet so I was ignorant about this at the time of purchase but later into ownership , I got it verified as a light crank model , I enquired about why my motorcycle vibrates so much(as compared to this 68 model) and this was the answer received from my mechanic who has worked on this bike since '98 when it came into civilian ownership , it was then that he showed me the crank of another bike('84 I think) with the engine opened up.
Old 25th April 2014, 15:26   #1286
BHPian

All T-BHP Royal Enfield Owners- Your Bike Pics here Please-bike.jpg

Here's my 11 year old Standard 500. My daily ride. Done around 85,000 kms on all kinds of terrain.

The bike's had a floating bush replacement and a block piston change as the major repair work done so far at around 50,000 kms. Everything is stock except for the front disc brakes that I retrofitted in 2005 and the silencer. I swapped the horrible factory ones for a standard retro silencer that sounds just right. New Bulleteers, please please change your silencer, warranty be damned.

I've kept it in top mechanical condition and the bike rides as well as the day I got it from the showroom. The paint and the chrome is scuffed up in a few places but I don't intend to fix that as most marks have a story behind them.

I'll keep riding it till I can't ride anymore. This bike puts a smile on my face every day
ranjitnair77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 17:19   #1287
BHPian

A Very clean STD 500, it is rare to see the STD 500 nowadays and that too in such good condition. My best wishes for maintaining it so well and the originality.

Hope you don't face any problem with spares and sevices.

Last edited by BulZire : 25th April 2014 at 17:20.
BulZire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 19:25   #1288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post

Here's my 11 year old Standard 500. My daily ride. Done around 85,000 kms on all kinds of terrain.

I've kept it in top mechanical condition and the bike rides as well as the day I got it from the showroom. The paint and the chrome is scuffed up in a few places but I don't intend to fix that as most marks have a story behind them.

I'll keep riding it till I can't ride anymore. This bike puts a smile on my face every day
Its good to see a stock looking 500. Didn't the post 2002 500's have 'Bullet 500' mentioned on the side boxes instead of just 500.
What was the reason behind the piston/cylinder replacement? 50k seems early for a complete replacement. Its normally the time the rings have to be replaced.
I have a 96 500 which had its main bearing replaced as well at around 25k kms and rings replaced at around 35K. Now the bike is nearing 40k and apart from overheating, it still brings a smile to my face. Used mainly for long trips.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 11:46   #1289
BHPian

Thanks !

Back in 2003, the Standard 500 would only be available in Grey.They sold in such little numbers that you never really saw one. Getting a test ride was out of the question.

So I hopped over to the showroom one day and rode a Thunderbird (which was launched fairly recently), a STD 350 and a Lightning 535 (which was being phased out), back to back. Absolutely loved the pulling power of the 535 but wanted the classic look so booked the 500 'blind' without ever seeing or riding one.

They delivered the bike in 4 weeks (the current 6 month+ wait is laughable) and I have ridden it day in and day out since. I do think that the 500 is just the right bike. It's old school, has the character of the old 350 but that extra grunt is just the icing on the cake.

Quote:
Its good to see a stock looking 500. Didn't the post 2002 500's have 'Bullet 500' mentioned on the side boxes instead of just 500.
What was the reason behind the piston/cylinder replacement? 50k seems early for a complete replacement. Its normally the time the rings have to be replaced.
They kept fiddling around with the stickers. My 500 had an 'Enfield' sticker on the tank and not the 'Royal Enfield' one. A subsequent crash meant that I had to replace my tank and it was difficult to get a colour match. So I got a used one from a bike that was a few months newer than mine. The sticker had changed to Royal Enfield by then .

My 500 has the big 500 printed on the side boxes, perhaps that changed too. I believe the subsequent 500 'refresh' in black with thicker chrome mudguards with a self starter (that never worked) had the Bullet 500 sticker.

No idea why the whole piston replacement happened early. It shouldn't have. Possibly carelessness/hard-riding on my part. Most of the 500s I've known have had the bearing replacement done at some point.

It shouldn't overheat too much. I've seen some overheating in traffic jams, between the 5-10 minute mark. Lots of heat from the head and the clutch heats up too and goes all gooey.

Fantastic to see that you have a 96 model. Have you posted a picture of your 500? Would love to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
A Very clean STD 500, it is rare to see the STD 500 nowadays and that too in such good condition. My best wishes for maintaining it so well and the originality.
Hope you don't face any problem with spares and sevices.
Thankfully, the Std 500 shares a lot of parts with the Std 350 so parts are plentiful right now. It is harder to get valves, piston rings and a block piston set so I intend to buy them over the next few months and stock up for a rainy day.

Parts for the LB 500 are harder to procure.
Old 27th April 2014, 11:24   #1290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
Thanks !

Hi, Very nice looking 500:-)

Where do you service it in Pune? And where did you buy it from: the long gone Raisoni?

Talking about heat, my bike runs so hot, I am sure I can poach an egg on it!

Last edited by john doe : 27th April 2014 at 11:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks