Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2008, 22:23   #1
BHPian

Honda Aviator Help Needed!

I purchased a Honda Aviator Disc version for my wife at the end of Aug. The bike has done about 100 odd km after 30 days.

Problem 1: The rear tire is suffering from substantial loss of air pressure. I got the pressure checked recently (due to instability issues) and it was at 16 psi. Filled it to 36 as per instructions for rider + pillion. Next day, lost well over 10 psi. As expected, bike fishtails, esp when turning. My dad topped off the tank which makes the bike heavier and more difficult to handle. However, it's now at half-tank and the problem persists. Took the bike to a puncture shop today. The guy examined the tube in my presence and pronounced it "weak". There was no puncture in the tube. However, it was losing pressure even as we spoke. HMSI manual says that Honda are not responsible for tyres, tubes and batteries. Should I take the bike directly to an MRF dealer or should I take this up with Honda? Also, will the MRF showroom on Varthur Road, Whitefield be able to solve my problems?

Problem 2: Front wheel makes a squeaky sound with each revolution of the wheel. Suspect it is from the disc. Can anyone confirm?

I'll be giving the bike for service soon so will bring it to the notice of the Honda mechs.

Any Bangaloreans here who can suggest which is the best Honda maintenance centre to give the bike for servicing?

Thanks and cheers!
Old 26th September 2008, 22:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Problem 1: Take it to the HH dealer and see what he says? You bought the bike from them so even if they're not responsible for the tyres they should guide you properly. If there aint no puncture and the tube is still leaking air it's a manufacturing defect and HH or the MRF should do something about it.

Anyways if you end up paying from your pocket to replace the tube opt for MRF's tuff-up tube.

Problem2: My new Karizma occasionally squeaked when the front wheel was rotated. But it went away on it's on. So you too may not have to worry about it much.
Old 26th September 2008, 23:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Problem 1 :
Ask the person who checked the punture to again reconfirm that if there is something wrong in the valve. Sometimes this happens, if the valve is defective or not tightened properly.

If that's proper, then take the vehicle to the dealer and ask them to assist you in getting solution to this problem.

However, IMHO, this problem is potentially safety threat as this is affecting the handling of the vehicle. So if the dealer is not responsive enough, and the puncture man finds nothing wrong in tyre, then plonk in a new tube. It wont cost you more than Rs. 150.

Problem 2:
I suspect here that manufacturers configure the front disc pads such that there is slight friction between the disc and disc pads. This is to avoid the build up of dust ( mainly ) or rather to reduce the build up of debris on the disc pad surface. So dont worry about it.

My Zeus had a similar issue and now after around more than one year, the noise had reduced to almost non existent.
Old 26th September 2008, 23:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Tire warranty comes separate from manufacturers warranty, the card should have been included.
Old 27th September 2008, 09:37   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm leaning towards taking the scooter to MRF rather than Honda because it's a lot closer (I live on the outskirts of Bangalore). I'm not happy about driving it long distance with current instability issues.

FYI - the scooter comes with the tuff-up tube by default.

Will mostly get it replaced. My wife will be speaking with the Honda reps today. Will update thread if necessary.

Thanks again!
Old 27th September 2008, 15:38   #6
BHPian

I too face the problem of the front wheel disc squealing. Showed it to the service centre. They said it was ok....and will cease with some running
Old 2nd June 2009, 13:55   #7
BHPian

Bluu - how is your Aviator? Im planning to buy one and would love a report from you.
Old 2nd June 2009, 15:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Bluu - how is your Aviator? Im planning to buy one and would love a report from you.
Proxima - My Aviator is splendid now that the tyre issue has been resolved! Actually, it wasn't a tyre issue, it was the tube that was faulty. It was not retaining pressure even for a day and hence I had stability issues but now that the tube has been replaced everything is great!

Pros:

1. Comfort - I find the vehicle to be very comfortable. My wife, who is about 5ft tall, found it difficult to move from her Kinetic Honda to the Aviator but she has adapted well now.

2. Brakes - I have the disc brake version (~5K extra) and would recommend it. The vehicle is not powerful by any stretch of the imagination but a disc brake is a welcome addition.

3. Honda - 'nuff said!

Cons:

1. Power - The vehicle is slightly underpowered. It's not exactly small or sleek so a bhp or two more would have been great.

2. Headlamp - Can probably be upgraded but stock bulb is poor.

-----

I'll keep the summary short - its a great little scooter for day-to-day puttering around and carries two people in comfort, albeit a little slowly. Has all the wonderful Honda tidbits like refinement, smoothness etc. Is heavy and not too comfortable (both as rider and pillion) for short (~5ft and lower) people.
Old 2nd June 2009, 15:45   #9
BHPian

Thanks a ton Bluu. I think I will be booking mine tomorrow if I don't hear of any issues from other owners.
Old 25th February 2016, 17:25   #10
BHPian

Re: Honda Aviator Help Needed!

Some days back, I realised that the front brake of my Aviator (Drum version) was lacking bite and I tightened it (through the screw on left side of wheel) to the desired level.

All this while, the scooter was on the main stand. I decided to do a quick ride to check the brake, but the scooter won't come off the stand. Realised that the front wheel was jammed. Any attempt to ride put stress on the forks and I decided to loosen the brake a bit. The wheel was rotating now, but I could feel some friction/force and it was not as smooth as the rear wheel.

What can be the problem? I had my brake pads changed around 2k kms back.
Old 26th February 2016, 00:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
I had my brake pads changed around 2k kms back.
*shoes, and not pads. Also they were replaced *12k kms back, not 2k kms. Sorry for this, I am not good at typing + eating.

BTW I discovered another problem some time back. The rear brake, when squeezed hard in case of emergency braking, temporarily stays stuck at that position and the wheel takes 2-3 seconds to rotate normally. For that short moment, the lever stays pressed even if we remove pressure from it. Any idea for this issue?

Last edited by swift_guy : 26th February 2016 at 00:42. Reason: Fixing smiley
Old 26th February 2016, 00:26   #12
BANNED

Quote:
. The rear brake, when squeezed hard in case of emergency braking, temporarily stays stuck at that position and the wheel takes 2-3 seconds to rotate normally.
Lubricate the cable or best solution is to change it. When was it changed last?

It has lost its functioning capabilities I guess. The cable isn't moving freely inside and getting stuck hence the problem.
Old 26th February 2016, 00:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Lubricate the cable or best solution is to change it. When was it changed last?
The cable which starts from the brake lever, right? It is stock, used since ~36k kms. Is it a DIY (to change the cable) or needs special set of tools?
Old 26th February 2016, 00:48   #14
BANNED

Quote:

The cable which starts from the brake lever, right? It is stock, used since ~36k kms. Is it a DIY (to change the cable) or needs special set of tools?
Ya the cable from the lever to the wheel hub. Not sure if it is a DIY or no. Any local mechanic should it for you.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 20:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Aviator Help Needed!

I have a problem with my 2008 Aviator.

The rear wheel seems to be sliding a bit. It's quite scary. It occurs while turning left mostly and occasionally while turning right. The wheel nut is tight.

I went to the service centre and I asked them to check the bearings. They said it's perfetly fine and​ would only change it for my satisfaction. They never test drove the vehicle. After repeatedly complaining, they filled some air in the tire and said everything is fine. But it's still present after driving 50kms today

My daily commute is about 50kms(to and fro)
on OMR with speeds ranging from 50-70kmph

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks