Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2008, 17:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

My Karizma Mods & Ideas!

Hi,

I have decided to dedicate a thread to proposed and applied modifications on my Karizma. There won't be any cosmetic mods on to my bike except functional ones. Let us make this thread a one stop spot for information regarding mods for other Karizma owners thinking on the same line.

At this point of time the mods planned is on the intake side since the bike is new and not out of warranty serious engine mods are not going to be done anytime soon.

Things done so far:

1) Removed the kickstarter and the kickstarter stopper.
2) Installed a headlamp relay kit and changed the bulb to Phillips X-Treme Power +80
3) Changed the rear tyre to Pirelli Sport Demon 110/90 18
4) Removed the lower engine cowl that comes on the R model
5) Installed a pair of Stebel Windtones with a relay.

Wiring has not been cut/spliced at any point for these electrical mods.

Last night i removed the intake resonator attached to the pipe that goes from the airbox to the carb. It's a small stubby plastic box that will be visible when you take off the right side panel. Intake sound hasn't increased much after it's removal. Notable changes after a test ride made today:
1) Throttle response became better off idle and throughout the rev range.
2) In gear roll-on acceleration times reduced.
3) Bike easily gets to 120 on the meter, rider not crouching! But i haven't checked the top speed yet.
4) Intake sound while on the move has become slighlty more aggresive, but not too loud.

So the experiment is succesfull there is a notable difference!

Things to do: Carb Jetting and some other mods. Will keep updated.
Old 11th September 2008, 17:47   #2
BHPian

Pimp Pimp Pimp Ahhh All the best my views and suggestions will be given later.
Old 11th September 2008, 18:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

How much did your tyre & headlamp relay kit cost ? could be useful if you mentioned prices for all.
Old 11th September 2008, 18:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sure EL, prices are given below.

Pirelli SD --> 2300
TVS Headlamp relay with wiring kit --> 430 bucks
Phillips X-Treme Power +80 --> 850 bucks for a pair
Stebel windtones + relay --> Carried over from Bullet. It cost 850 bucks almost 1 year back
Old 11th September 2008, 19:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have also removed the kick starter but had to fix it back because of starting problem i thot its the battery and changed it but then found out that the starter relay is faulty got it changed .... i tried removing the kick started again but its jammed now

i have also tried removing the pipe you are talking about, it adds little bass to the sound only the rider can feel that not noisy .... but what i felt after that the bikes top end was affected, so fixed it back again ......
Old 11th September 2008, 19:08   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

Have you wondered why your roll-on reduced?
Also forget jetting a karizma. We were running all the works and still a stock jet. Even with a 127.5 it would get really rich. The needs a swap if you are looking at jetting.
The stock carb has no option for needle settings too and its very difficult to optimise the fuel flow on the karizma.
Remember that a karizma is already in a very lean state from factory, playing with the intake will further make it leaner and kill mid-range. Although you'll find a decent improvement in wide-open throttle operation.
Old 11th September 2008, 21:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
Have you wondered why your roll-on reduced?
Also forget jetting a karizma. We were running all the works and still a stock jet. Even with a 127.5 it would get really rich. The needs a swap if you are looking at jetting.
The stock carb has no option for needle settings too and its very difficult to optimise the fuel flow on the karizma.
Remember that a karizma is already in a very lean state from factory, playing with the intake will further make it leaner and kill mid-range. Although you'll find a decent improvement in wide-open throttle operation.
Made the airflow better..maybe some wave harmonics or something like it.. tell me if you know exactly what's happening while i eliminated the resonator. I know how a resonator works that's between carb and the engine like the YEIS system, but this one i don't understand completely.

Hmm...as of now the midrange is not very weak.. i feel (butt dyno) the jetting is a lil bit lean. There's an altitude difference between Blore and Tvm so i may be able to go alil higher with the jet size. I remember when i brought my RX to Blore, which was jetted perfect for Tvm, ran like crap in Blore.

I might buy some jets and needles for the Keihin.
Old 11th September 2008, 22:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Just curious, what's the intended use of the bike that is prompting all the mods?
Old 11th September 2008, 22:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Just curious, what's the intended use of the bike that is prompting all the mods?
Hehehe.... good question!

I have a compulsive non-stock disorder.. i don't like to keep any of my rides stock. Company produces for the masses and sells to the masses i like to make mine a little unique/different. Since i'm not into cosmetic mods this is the only thing i can do to make it unique.
Old 11th September 2008, 22:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Headwork, lighten crank, and how about a nice CRF cam?
Old 11th September 2008, 23:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
His head is already working too much

And those need to wait coz of warranty I guess.

Talking about crank to cutcrank !

I think I have issues with TVS relay (and so do a friend of mine).
Old 12th September 2008, 01:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Made the airflow better..maybe some wave harmonics or something like it.. tell me if you know exactly what's happening while i eliminated the resonator. I know how a resonator works that's between carb and the engine like the YEIS system, but this one i don't understand completely.
Ummm...did you plug the hole after removing the resonator?
Old 12th September 2008, 02:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I have decided to dedicate a thread to proposed and applied modifications on my Karizma. There won't be any cosmetic mods on to my bike except functional ones. Let us make this thread a one stop spot for information regarding mods for other Karizma owners thinking on the same line.

At this point of time the mods planned is on the intake side since the bike is new and not out of warranty serious engine mods are not going to be done anytime soon.

Things done so far:

2) Installed a headlamp relay kit and changed the bulb to Phillips X-Treme Power +80

Last night i removed the intake resonator attached to the pipe that goes from the airbox to the carb. It's a small stubby plastic box that will be visible when you take off the right side panel. Intake sound hasn't increased much after it's removal. Notable changes after a test ride made today:
3) Bike easily gets to 120 on the meter, rider not crouching! But i haven't checked the top speed yet.
4) Intake sound while on the move has become slighlty more aggresive, but not too loud.

-Been there done that-This is more of a psychological gain because of the intake roar,and not at all recommended on stock jetting since the bike tends to heat up due to a lean air fuel mixture.
Old 12th September 2008, 09:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Hmm... those have to wait. But never gonna do anything to the crank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I think I have issues with TVS relay (and so do a friend of mine).
What kind of issues da? Anyways it's working fine now. When something goes wrong i'll plug in some other relay. I can still run the headlamps during emergency if the relay conks out.. i just have to disconnect the OE headlamp bulb connector from the relay's input socket and plug it back into the headlamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Ummm...did you plug the hole after removing the resonator?
Yes i did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
-Been there done that-This is more of a psychological gain because of the intake roar,and not at all recommended on stock jetting since the bike tends to heat up due to a lean air fuel mixture.
This is not a psychological gain. I can feel the difference the way bike moves. But it ain't heating up much either.

Last edited by Sankar : 12th September 2008 at 09:42.
Old 14th September 2008, 10:20   #15

Quote:
Hi,

Things done so far:

Well, nice mods actually.. but nothing much usefull i guess...
Could you post pictures of the Philips bulb and the pirelli tyre ??
Well Karizma is a finely reformed engine..though the changes have been negligent over the years.. only major change in the "R'" model is that it come with 6wet clutch plates instead of 5 in earlier models... not much to be done inside actually... though you can increase its looks how ever you want..
"Pirelli tyres " Quite expensive go there.. But they are known to be sticky, and where out fast if you do agressive acceleration and breaking..
Did you test the Topend on that tyres ?? Check this out

My suggestions for lighting is to go for HID (perhaps a 55w kit).. its an easy fit to your bike, can be installed in 10mins, with out anyones help... since all the electricals in ZMA is three phase,
Can i know the reason behind removing the engine crowl.. cuz its kinda designed with an opening to suck air into the engine for better cooling.. and it prevents mud from being deposited which inturn helps cooling/cleaning...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks